• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

sss.png

Blue Skies is the song Data and B4 sing in Nemesis.

You'll catch a glimpse of one of the new antagonist races.

Disconcerting to see that the Short Trek "Children of Mars" does indeed use footage from the Picard show as it was visually identical to Star Trek Discovery. You can see a Discovery shuttle in this trailer.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that's missing is Q. I hope he's there like a ghost that talks to Picard from time to time.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Disconcerting to see that the Short Trek "Children of Mars" does indeed use footage from the Picard show as it was visually identical to Star Trek Discovery. You can see a Discovery shuttle in this trailer.

An Admiral was really nostalgic for retrolooking ships, and nobody else cared enough to waste political capital to stop it.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

sss.png

Blue Skies is the song Data and B4 sing in Nemesis.

You'll catch a glimpse of one of the new antagonist races.

I'm not sure why that's disconcerting.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember the Galaxy class being so dark...
Honestly, one of the problems with Trek and a lot of sci-fi is that the ambient lighting of ships is just absurdly bright. Other than when a ship is right up close to an actual light source like a star, or a reflective source like a planet or moon, all you're really going to see is its own self-generated lights.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! I enjoy my Trek when it's darker and and meatier - less Roddenberry hippy fluff and more heavy. Looks perfect for me.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article linked, and people saying it's better than Farpoint...

My wife and I watched Farpoint about a month ago. It's shockingly shockingly bad when viewed alongside the quality TV of today, with acting and writing that's stiff, inane and cringe worthy.

Like, Lord above, I would hope anything is better than Farpoint in this day and age.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you need to let shit go and learn to enjoy things.

You're concerned with how dark the hull of the Enterprise is and what shuttles look like?

Jesus god damn christ I hate society.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you need to let shit go and learn to enjoy things.

You're concerned with how dark the hull of the Enterprise is and what shuttles look like?

Jesus god damn christ I hate society.

I can understand this complaint with Discovery, since it was supposed to take place at the same time as TOS, but with Picard, the more new stuff the better.

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People complaining about 23rd century stuff in the 24th century forgot about all the times it happened in TNG-VOY. Shuttles and ships were reused there too. I'm looking forward to Picard and renewed CBS All Access through Amazon Prime Channels. For some reason the stream quality is more consistent through Amazon Prime to me.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we'll be able to go into this blind? I really like Star Trek Discovery, so I'm interested in this. I've saw enough back in the day to know the basics about Next Generation... Data is a robot, Jeri Ryan was a Borg, Riker was Picard's #2, but that's about it.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Only thing that's missing is Q. I hope he's there like a ghost that talks to Picard from time to time.

Even though he's an immortal being I feel like him being older looking could also easily be explained by him "following in Picards footsteps. Older and wiser!" or something like that. It sounds like something Q would do just to annoy Picard.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Why are we seeing a Galaxy class at all? Is it just meant to be a memory of the Enterprise?

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if we'll be able to go into this blind? I really like Star Trek Discovery, so I'm interested in this. I've saw enough back in the day to know the basics about Next Generation... Data is a robot, Jeri Ryan was a Borg, Riker was Picard's #2, but that's about it.
Jeri Ryan's character, Seven of Nine, is from Voyager, not TNG.

And you should be okay. Maybe read a synopsis of TNG.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we seeing a Galaxy class at all? Is it just meant to be a memory of the Enterprise?

Wouldn't be shocked if a galaxy class pops up.

In the lore it's a bit old but the excelsior class was still kicking in DS9 which is probably 100 years since it first launched.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Q are one of the species I wish Star Trek never imagined. I hate stupid all powerful beings being around.

Oct 25, 2017
Even official accounts have been urging people to catch up on some TNG before watching Picard so I'd say they're hoping people won't go in blind.
There was even an article about it on the official site: https://www.startrek.com/news/your-ultimate-star-trek-picard-watch-guide

But that's a lot on short notice at this point, so bare minimum I'd suggest the TNG movies First Contact and Nemesis. First Contact is pretty good. Nemesis maybe not so much, but some crucial moments seem relevant to the plot and it's also the last time we saw these characters, so it will show you where we left off. I think these two movies would at least give you enough of a foundation to get where we're coming from, and get your feet closer to solid ground.

I suggest these specifically because they directly cover topics and character histories that you will see referenced in the new show. The TNG era as a whole has a lot more to offer, but I'm trying to stay directly relevant to your goal (rather than just a 'greatest hits').

You can rent each movie for $3/ea on google/vudu/amazon. Six bucks and you'll have your starter pack for ST:P.
(But if youve got time by all means do more from that official list. The more you see the more will make sense. Particularly I Borg, Datalore, and The Best of Both Worlds p1&2 which are all chronologically earlier than the above movies)

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Galaxy is a beautiful ship, but I've always been partial to the Nebula.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

One could go to Netflix and just watch the absolute essential episodes from each season:

Season 1, Episode 7: Justice
Season 2, Episode 19: Manhunt
Season 3, Episode 24: Ménage à Troi
Season 4, Episode 20: Qpid
Season 5, Episode 20: Cost of Living
Season 6, Episode 8: A Fistful of Datas
Season 7, Episode 14: Sub Rosa