• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stewarts performance was just very uneven. There was moments where he slipped right back into Picard and then you had moments where it was Patrick Stewart almost doing an Impersonation of himself as Captain Picard.
Yes, this is the perfect description of how I felt watching this show. Only watched the first 5 episodes because it made me sad how frankly bad the writing in this is, and Stewart's performance was, shockingly, not nearly good or interesting enough to carry the show. Really disappointed by this, and my expectations were not that high.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still wondering why the Synth asked Rios "do you play?" while Rios was holding a football. No mate, I'm holding it for fun

How do they know what football is

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Are the robots that almost came through the portal the same ones from the latest season of discover that wanted to destroy the entire galaxy from the future?

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
No, that was Control a self aware AI that they managed to stop, these are androids that developed thousands of years ago that left the galaxy
In more innocent days I was happy with this, but after watching this and Disco - all i see is the writers room calling it a half day and throwing any old garbage up. I cite the magic yoke that literally does anything you need as evidence :)

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok thanks. I just finished watching the last episode a few minutes ago and was wondering if they were similar/a call back to Discovery. Almost looked the same.
I've not directly compared, but it wouldn't surprise me if they reused CGI assets from STD, they've already for sure used footage from it for a couple things and I believe they used the STD Enterprise model in episode 1.

Between the reused footage, stock footage and copy paste fleets it feels cheap for a show that I'd assume has a big budget.

It's not the first Trek to reuse footage or CGI assets, but we know the others were being done cheap.

Oct 26, 2017
I was 13 when I saw Generations in the theater and I was pretty pissed off they reused the KliBop go Boom from STVI. I'm a little more forgiving when TV does that kind of crap, but cheap is cheap.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with using that specific effect is because it was Used for a pivotal piece of plot explanation in both Discovery and Picard rather than a throw away ship explosion or something. It firced a connection between the two shows that apparently doesn't exist according to Chabon himself.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Some insight into costume choices

www.startrek.com

The Natural Minimalism of Star Trek: Picard

Fashion blogger Tom Fitzgerald breaks down the universe's new look.

And in perhaps the most knowing wink of all, Picard visits the Romulan refugee colony on Vashti, complete with gifts of candy and European literature, dressed exactly like a 20th Century British colonialist on holiday: white linen suit, safari pockets and even a straw hat to complete the picture.

So that was deliberate then. Still not entirely comfortable with it, even as a deliberate choice, but better than done without consideration. This though...

The world Picard inhabited as the series opens is a naturalistic one; a world bathed in sunlight, wreathed in vines, with rooms of wood, stone and leather. It's a world where the former Starfleet admiral wanders his vineyards or the recesses of his mind while dressed in sporty sweaters and tweed caps in naturalistic browns and greens. His caretakers and assistants, Larisa and Zhaban, tend to his needs while modeling slouchy, comfortable knitwear and linens, rendered in soft natural tones of cream and brown. When Dahj first comes to see him, she's dressed in a green tweed cloak, like some android Frodo, seeking help. Everywhere we look on Picard's Earth, characters embrace the natural.

There's a distinction being made in the costume design between the naturalistic world, which is represented by planet-bound people like Picard, Dahj, Laris and Zhaban, and the people who live out in space, who are almost uniformly (no pun intended) rendered in utilitarian neutrals of black and gray, from Rios to Narek to Soji and practically everyone else on the Artifact.

Feels like it affirms some of what I've suspected with regards to the series' biases and presumptions on the value and presentation of life

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind this is an interpretation, not the creator. But this guy is top notch at this kind of analysis. His Mad Med reviews via costume were legendary.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Some insight into costume choices

www.startrek.com

The Natural Minimalism of Star Trek: Picard

Fashion blogger Tom Fitzgerald breaks down the universe's new look.
Elnor is more or less coded to look like Romulan Legolas.
source.gif

Edit: And yeah it's a really good analysis overall.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...did they ever explain why the android revolt happened to begin with?

Or why Picard was dreaming about Data and the painting in the early episodes?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Picard just dreams about Data is all, unless I missed something

And Mars is mostly confirmed as having been done by the Romulans, but the how is never explicitly touched on. The fact that this would render the devastation of a major symbolic world at the heart of Federation space to have been directly orchestrated by the hands of the Romulan secret police is kinda just... not commented on, because Chabon and co felt it didn't matter with regards to the story they wanted to tell on artificial life. Which, technically, would be correct, but it is a glaring omission with regards to the wider setting.

Like, in any other regard I would expect the fallout of this to be explored in season 2, but then, I was kinda hoping it'd be explored in season 1, and I'm not convinced the current writing staff would actually care too much to look at it. It's the kind of geopolitical stuff they specifically avoided in order to keep the perspective of the show lower down

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

The androids were hacked by the Romulans, to make the Federation halt their development. With the unfortunate side effect that it also made the Federation halt their plan to rescue the Romulans.

The dreams were just dreams. Picard thought about Data a lot.

The unanswered questions I'm wondering about are, why was Dahj on Earth, believing she was human? Why was she "activated" and why did that activation not reawaken her memory of who she really was?

And the same questions apply to Soji.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Is it just me or are the Romulans (at least the Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash) doing a little too well considering their planet got vaporized just 16 years ago?

Fleets of ships, infiltrating Starfleet at the highest level, hidden death squads on Earth, etc.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or are the Romulans (at least the Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash) doing a little too well considering their planet got vaporized just 16 years ago?

Like I said, the geopolitical stuff just isn't explored, deliberately so. So like, we're not even sure how many Romulan successor states there are. Is this Romulan Free State the only one, or is there an Imperial holdout too? Which one is the Tal Shiar loyal to and/or draws resources from, or does it play all sides while feigning loyalty to each of them?

Depending on the answers it could comfortably address all of that - ie, 200 odd ships is the entirety of what it could muster from the various factions - but the show decided to rest on the comfortably familiar imagery of Tal Shiar menacingly looking at worlds in the (former) Neutral Zone because it'd be easy to know who the bad guys are (despite Chabon's claim to not frame his stories that way)

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Also why was Dahj programmed to find Picard?

That's actually a pretty simple one really. Maddox knew Picard was likely to help if Dahj ever got in trouble, having been an outspoken critic against the ban, and of course, had his personal connection to Data so he could actually understand what the heck was going on. So if he's gonna send one of his 'daughters' off to Earth, might as well have that backup plan there.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It would have made sense, if Dahj knew her own identity. Picard would obviously move heaven and earth to help Data's daughter. But she didn't know she was. Picard had deduce it. What if he hadn't?

Now that, um... less clear. I guess Maddox(/Chabon) maybe operated on the idea that just having it all unlock at once would make the potential disassociation issues even worse?

On a different note, and something feels... disappointing, as I sit on it, is the fact that right now things have been squared away by blaming it all on Oh. I know it's been argued that oh, well, that doesn't change the Federation from having acted on the fear she helped to instil, but like, beyond that one reporter - who honestly seemed to more have an anti-Romulan streak as her issue (never followed up on, of course) - I can't even recall if we ever saw anyone that had been like, in favour of the ban on synthetic development. There's no-one who actually supported that decision on the Federation side; no-one voicing the trauma of those whose families and friends were slaughtered. Clancy's spat with Picard is with regards to the Romulan aid effort, and that was clearly meant to be a case of Realpolitik, not something she was personally invested in.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Picard's major failing in S1 is how deeply uninterested it is in actually exploring the consequences of the concepts it introduces. The Romulan evacuation, Zhat Vash and their conspiracy, Synth rebellion, Federation xenophobia, Borg 'Artifact', the ancient Synth prophecy, and even the whole resurrection of Data, all exist as disposable props to get us to... uh, ending the synth ban in the Federation.

I'd be shocked if S2 explores the implications of any of it. It'll probably just be another seat-of-the-pants adventure to solve some crisis.

I don't know why they introduced so many gigantic, galaxy-altering ideas on a show with such a small-scale focus, that discards things as quickly as it introduces them.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Picard's major failing in S1 is how deeply uninterested it is in actually exploring the consequences of the concepts it introduces. The Romulan evacuation, Zhat Vash and their conspiracy, Synth rebellion, Federation xenophobia, Borg 'Artifact', the ancient Synth prophecy, and even the whole resurrection of Data, all exist as disposable props to get us to... uh, ending the synth ban in the Federation.

I'd be shocked if S2 explores the implications of any of it. It'll probably just be another seat-of-the-pants adventure to solve some crisis.

I don't know why they introduced so many gigantic, galaxy-altering ideas on a show with such a small-scale focus, that discards things as quickly as it introduces them.
I really enjoyed the small scale stuff. The times the crew just acted like a crew. Hanging out with the Troi-Rikers. Picard's relationship with his housekeepers. The only times it didn't hang together was when the plot had to lurch forward into some new catastrophe.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The androids were hacked by the Romulans, to make the Federation halt their development. With the unfortunate side effect that it also made the Federation halt their plan to rescue the Romulans.

No good reasons couldn't have waited until Federation rescued the Romulans before having them attack Mars.

I assume that whole angle was Stewart's influence and his real life issues with the world's refugee treatment and Brexit. Oh and the attack the equivalent of a real world terrorist attack and public response.

It just not done well or really followed through on.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No good reasons couldn't have waited until Federation rescued the Romulans before having them attack Mars.
The good reason is the Romulans with power didn't give a shit about rescuing anyone other than those close to them and leaving their enemies within the Empire and the commoners they didn't care about to die. It may not be strictly canon (even if they say otherwise for now) but the Picard comic flat out shows this on other Romulan planets.

Oct 2, 2018
Just finished. Gotta say, I was quite moved by Picard's death....

and then they reversed it and now we have android picard moving forward which I'm like "errrrr".

good season evern if a lot of it don't make sense.

I thought the pizza episode with riker and deanne was nice. Good to see them back together playing these characters.

oh

the weird AF crew making out:

science girl + captain man
7+9 and the rishi

was super fucking weird way to close out the season.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Over/under on anyone mentioning how Jurati assassinated a person next season? I'm going with 0 mentions and she's completely absolved, while they hound Narek over his actions.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them starting season 2 around 6 months to a year after the final, with her coming out of rehabilitation (because it's the future) and as hand waving as it is, she was influenced by Oh to some extent.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the story of Picard is Picard's journey to say goodbye to Data. But the stuff around it is super interesting and not really utilised as well as I'd like.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
I could see them starting season 2 around 6 months to a year after the final, with her coming out of rehabilitation (because it's the future) and as hand waving as it is, she was influenced by Oh to some extent.
I was going to suggest that it should be a year but then I remembered that Garak only got six months for attempted Genocide, so six month seems good. Open with Rios pick her up from Tantalus V

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
oh

the weird AF crew making out:

science girl + captain man
7+9 and the rishi

was super fucking weird way to close out the season.

We all know what must be done now. Beverly Crusher must be brought back for season 2. And her and Picard must finally hook up. I don't care if they're both 80+ in the show. I've waited over 30 years for this to be official and they better freaking do it lol.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Star Trek Picard landed somewhere between Good and Very Good for me.

Thematically it gets an A+. They knocked it out of the park. The themes of oppression, fear, trauma, and ultimately hope were fully realized.

The character work was a little spotty, and here I'll give it a B-. They nailed Picard himself; he was a return to form after the weird departure in the movies. It was great to see Riker, Troi, and Data, too. The other main characters were mostly good and had satisfying arcs. I thought the Rios/Jurati pairing was forced and lacking chemistry; they should have left it at the one night stand and it would've been fine. The Raffi/Seven implied pairing came out of left field, but I think the characters could work together so I'll keep an open mind. The Romulan villains were competently written but were nothing special. The other side characters were a little spotty; Dr Soong was not a consistent character, and his motivations changed on a whim to suit the plot. Most of the Synths were very shallow, paper-thin characters. There were also good side characters too, though.

The world building was top notch, getting an A+. I love everything about this universe. It's so much more alive and interesting than Star Trek has ever been outside of DS9. This universe feels lived in. It has character and history. The defunct Borg cube research station was an incredible set piece. Starfleet's decline as a moral authority felt too real. I wouldn't have minded a few more Easter eggs to let us know what the Klingons, Cardassians, and the Dominion were up to, but that's a minor complaint.

The plot is really where this show falters, especially at the climax. Magic Sonic Screwdrivers, all-powerful synthetic beings from another dimension, a magic beacon to summon them being designed in less than a day after learning that they exist, a mind meld between an Android and a human (?!?!), Picard's pilot conveniently having a prior encounter with the Synths by pure coincidence despite being one of maybe 100 people who has, a super secret Romulan cabal who can easily assemble a fleet of 200 ships on command despite their home world literally exploding a decade earlier, an equally large fleet of Starships arriving at the very last second to save the day, the all-powerful Synths briefly coming into our universe and no one is worried about them returning on their own.... I could go on. It was pretty shoddy and the conclusion seemed an afterthought. It was serviceable as a vehicle for the character work, themes, and world building, but not much more than that. I give the plot a C.

Overall I enjoyed the show and I give it a solid A. I'm looking forward to season 2. I hope Garak shows up.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this series, and it was a good send-off for Data. Of course I laughed when we met another Soong--Brent Spiner can never truly be free of this universe. The only thing that upset me was the death of Hugh.

Can't wait to see what Terry Matalas will do with the series.

Oct 2, 2018
iCan't wait to see what Terry Matalas will do with the series.

I know series 2 is a lock but with one of the themes of season 1 of Picard being his longvity... I kept watching it and wonder how fit/well Patrick Stewart is.He's 80? This probably has 1-2 seasons in it really. Id love more seasons but it's at the back of my mind watching it how old PS is IRL

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I know series 2 is a lock but with one of the themes of season 1 of Picard being his longvity... I kept watching it and wonder how fit/well Patrick Stewart is.He's 80? This probably has 1-2 seasons in it really. Id love more seasons but it's at the back of my mind watching it how old PS is IRL
I don't think they intend to make more than 3 seasons, although of course plans can change.

trekmovie.com

Patrick Stewart Says Star Trek Picard Series Is Set Up To Run Three Seasons

Producer Alex Kurtzman describes the show as "grounded."

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Well one thing I felt was that Stewart was acting with a lot more vitality in the scenes after being put in the golem body. Picard is also supposed to be 94 versus Stewart's 79.

I know it's wishful thinking in these times, but I'd like to think he can hold on for a few more seasons.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek Picard landed somewhere between Good and Very Good for me.

Thematically it gets an A+. They knocked it out of the park. The themes of oppression, fear, trauma, and ultimately hope were fully realized.

The character work was a little spotty, and here I'll give it a B-. They nailed Picard himself; he was a return to form after the weird departure in the movies. It was great to see Riker, Troi, and Data, too. The other main characters were mostly good and had satisfying arcs. I thought the Rios/Jurati pairing was forced and lacking chemistry; they should have left it at the one night stand and it would've been fine. The Raffi/Seven implied pairing came out of left field, but I think the characters could work together so I'll keep an open mind. The Romulan villains were competently written but were nothing special. The other side characters were a little spotty; Dr Soong was not a consistent character, and his motivations changed on a whim to suit the plot. Most of the Synths were very shallow, paper-thin characters. There were also good side characters too, though.

The world building was top notch, getting an A+. I love everything about this universe. It's so much more alive and interesting than Star Trek has ever been outside of DS9. This universe feels lived in. It has character and history. The defunct Borg cube research station was an incredible set piece. Starfleet's decline as a moral authority felt too real. I wouldn't have minded a few more Easter eggs to let us know what the Klingons, Cardassians, and the Dominion were up to, but that's a minor complaint.

The plot is really where this show falters, especially at the climax. Magic Sonic Screwdrivers, all-powerful synthetic beings from another dimension, a magic beacon to summon them being designed in less than a day after learning that they exist, a mind meld between an Android and a human (?!?!), Picard's pilot conveniently having a prior encounter with the Synths by pure coincidence despite being one of maybe 100 people who has, a super secret Romulan cabal who can easily assemble a fleet of 200 ships on command despite their home world literally exploding a decade earlier, an equally large fleet of Starships arriving at the very last second to save the day, the all-powerful Synths briefly coming into our universe and no one is worried about them returning on their own.... I could go on. It was pretty shoddy and the conclusion seemed an afterthought. It was serviceable as a vehicle for the character work, themes, and world building, but not much more than that. I give the plot a C.

Overall I enjoyed the show and I give it a solid A. I'm looking forward to season 2. I hope Garak shows up.
Reading your review (which I dont personally agree with) it feels like your overall rating should be lower than an A. (A+ + B- + A+ + C) should equaly somewhere in the B range at best.

My personal rating puts it around a C+ with some interesting ideas let down by heavy handed nostalgia, terrible plotting and writing.

Oct 27, 2017

This perfectly encapsulates the show's failings. A surface deep exploratory thesis.

It just doesn't seem interested in exploring its thematic elements or the existential questions introduced and will often times ignore them entirely. It's a major reason why so many of the characters fall flat -- being poorly written and having unearned development due to them changing as a result of their circumstances rather than the narratives the show explores affecting them in tangible ways.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This perfectly encapsulates the show's failings. A surface deep exploratory thesis.

It just doesn't seem interested in exploring its thematic elements or the existential questions introduced and will often times ignore them entirely. It's a major reason why so many of the characters fall flat -- being poorly written and having unearned development due to them changing as a result of their circumstances rather than the narratives the show explores affecting them in tangible ways.
There are many interesting story line ideas that could be developed and given their own mini arcs at least.

a) A kid being abandoned by his adopted father figure and raised on a harsh planet in a society where he doesn't belong.
b) A woman who murders someone under mistaken circumstances.
c) All of the Borg stuff, from ExBs to Seven of Nine going back into the collective but being released because "her job is not done".
d) What is the definition of life? Why aren't holograms considered synthetic life particularly after they introduced the Archive Hologram who learns on her own?
e) Can you change "destiny" or "fate" because these Romulans assume that the destruction of organic life is inevitable.
f) Raffi's relationship with her son, and the vindication of her conspiracy theory ideas being true.
g) All of the Romulan society stuff after Picard trolled those Romulans and got them all killed in that bar fight

I think Rios got his own episode because it tied directly to the plot, so his arc and his distaste for Starfleet and blindly following bullshit orders is the one that I think is the most satisfying of all the threads introduced in the show this season.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
There are many interesting story line ideas that could be developed and given their own mini arcs at least.

a) A kid being abandoned by his adopted father figure and raised on a harsh planet in a society where he doesn't belong.
b) A woman who murders someone under mistaken circumstances.
c) All of the Borg stuff, from ExBs to Seven of Nine going back into the collective but being released because "her job is not done".
d) What is the definition of life? Why aren't holograms considered synthetic life particularly after they introduced the Archive Hologram who learns on her own?
e) Can you change "destiny" or "fate" because these Romulans assume that the destruction of organic life is inevitable.
f) Raffi's relationship with her son, and the vindication of her conspiracy theory ideas being true.
g) All of the Romulan society stuff after Picard trolled those Romulans and got them all killed in that bar fight

I think Rios got his own episode because it tied directly to the plot, so his arc and his distaste for Starfleet and blindly following bullshit orders is the one that I think is the most satisfying of all the threads introduced in the show this season.

Raffi's would have been particularly interesting to get meaty into, because the nuances and dividing lines between legitimate concern, baseless paranoia, racist fearmongering and assessment of a genuine issue are, you know, exceedingly relevant at the moment. Worse still is that they should have been very relevant to the plot. Even if you narrowed the Romulan stuff to their involvement in the synth ban, then you've got all the stuff around whether or not their fears of the synthetics are legitimate, and vice versa. Yet when I honestly stop and think on it, the most the show really does with it is some general 'they'll never stop hunting us', and 'don't be the thing they fear you are!' response. No discussion of how the Romulans created their own monster. Whether or not the synthetics Soong and Maddox made even really meet the criticisms levelled against them. Whether or not the claims of the synthetic alliance or whatever else hold up to scrutiny in wider context.

And... I can sorta get it. People don't genuinely tend to sit down, discuss, and debate these things - not without getting very heated and very argumentative. What we see in previous Trek shows isn't 'messy' in the way that is much more valued by the current show, where people are largely locked in their beliefs and will proceed to act on them, before anyone might get a chance to talk to them on what they're planning. I get the idea, and it's encapsulated in that moment where Seven goes back down to the planet. But it really isn't conducive for exploring these issues, just seeing people act in response to them.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Raffi's would have been particularly interesting to get meaty into, because the nuances and dividing lines between legitimate concern, baseless paranoia, racist fearmongering and assessment of a genuine issue are, you know, exceedingly relevant at the moment. Worse still is that they should have been very relevant to the plot. Even if you narrowed the Romulan stuff to their involvement in the synth ban, then you've got all the stuff around whether or not their fears of the synthetics are legitimate, and vice versa. Yet when I honestly stop and think on it, the most the show really does with it is some general 'they'll never stop hunting us', and 'don't be the thing they fear you are!' response. No discussion of how the Romulans created their own monster. Whether or not the synthetics Soong and Maddox made even really meet the criticisms levelled against them. Whether or not the claims of the synthetic alliance or whatever else hold up to scrutiny in wider context.

And... I can sorta get it. People don't genuinely tend to sit down, discuss, and debate these things - not without getting very heated and very argumentative. What we see in previous Trek shows isn't 'messy' in the way that is much more valued by the current show, where people are largely locked in their beliefs and will proceed to act on them, before anyone might get a chance to talk to them on what they're planning. I get the idea, and it's encapsulated in that moment where Seven goes back down to the planet. But it really isn't conducive for exploring these issues, just seeing people act in response to them.
It's weird because TNG episodes were often just debates between people and exploring competing ideologies. Even the movies, as bad as they were, had some of that... yes, even the stupid actioney one with Picard going rambo against the Borg. lol

There were just too many pieces for it to come together - in a way, it reminds me of the final season of Game of Thrones where they just needed to propel toward the conclusion of Picard seeing Data that everything else sort of just happened. Like honestly, I would have been happy if they had taken out the Riker/Troi episode if it meant another episode for one of the new characters and their arcs.