• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
The movies were fun on their own and I was ok with the 'alternate timeline' (they really fucked up the Star Trek timeline), but it's not just an alternate timeline any longer. Now it affected the Prime timeline, which really irritates me.

It was always that way. The explosion is literally what separated the two.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The movies were fun on their own and I was ok with the 'alternate timeline' (they really fucked up the Star Trek timeline), but it's not just an alternate timeline any longer. Now it affected the Prime timeline, which really irritates me.
It doesn't affect the Prime timeline at all though. Spock "died" trying to save Romulus and nothing else from those movies matter.

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing it really affected is that Romulus went kaboom and Spock died and it's a far better fate than the one they gave Kirk.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It doesn't affect the Prime timeline at all though. Spock "died" trying to save Romulus and nothing else from those movies matter.

Well it did rip the heart out of the Romulan empire, essentially consigning one of the big Trek enemies to permanent refugee status surviving on the ragged edge of space.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to see these characters again, and I'll keep watching, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the first episode. Writing didn't seem great? Dialog felt awkward in spots.

Picard being immediately all-in on this strange woman felt a little rushed, and all the stuff about biological synthetics, synthetic twins, and whatnot felt contrived and glossed over to an extreme degree. Felt like they just wanted to rush through a lot of setup in this one episode, and most of it just didn't really land for me.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing I didnt like about the episode was a weird camera angle on Picards face which was not only too close, but looked fisheye. Hope they stop that going forward.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so it is at the point of the supernova explosion where the timelines diverged and Romulus from both timelines was destroyed. But Vulcan still exists, as does Amanda, in the Prime timeline. (Although Amanda is dead now, though).

Oct 25, 2017
Romulus wasn't destroyed in the kelvin timeline (yet anyways) but yes Vulcan and Amanda are still around (well Amanda is probably dead by this point)

Oct 25, 2017
The destruction of Romulus was always Prime timeline, it was never depicted in an alternate timeline.
Only the events on the other side of the black hole were an alternate timeline.

The events on this side of the hole were still happening in the classic Trek universe. As far as anybody in Prime knew, the star blew, Romulus cracked, Spock created a black hole to contain it, and then himself fell victim to it. The end.
No clue that some wild Abrams shenanigans were going on on the other side or that Spock survived. None of that stuff had any affect on the prime timeline who now simply assumed Spock dead.

Abramsverse is in its own bubble, which Prime Spock fell into. The only times you really see the prime timeline in the abrams movies are spock's flashbacks, since he's from the prime timeline. Everything else happens on the other side of the black hole, which means it does not affect prime.

(Though you can assume certain things, like that the Romulan star will eventually blow in the alternate universe too)

Last edited:

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so it is at the point of the supernova explosion where the timelines diverged and Romulus from both timelines was destroyed. But Vulcan still exists, as does Amanda, in the Prime timeline. (Although Amanda is dead now, though).
The act of spock in the jellyfish and an nero in the narada going back in time through the black hole caused by the red matter explosion is what causes the split. Nero attacks the Kelvin which makes it a parallel timeline. Romulus still exists in the Kelvin timeline, but not in the prime timeline. This is a continuation of the prime timeline with nothing to do with the Kelvin, which is what the '09 movies are.

Edit: Beaten like Worf many times on TNG (JK)

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks all for your explanations. Makes sense now. I do know Picard follows the Prime timeline. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, so didn't remember specifics.

Sorry for the derail. As for Picard, I really enjoyed the first episode. Had some performance issues with CBSAA, hopefully that is temporary, but the episode itself was good.

I am intrigued to see where they go with it.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
So re-thinking about what Allison Pill's character said to Picard, am I right to think that
undefined
So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

He will be back, soonger or later

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm spoilering this as I am not 100% on the rules

Is the destruction of Romulus in the Abrams Star Trek movie supposed to be what what caused the destruction of Romulus in Picard?

I hope not, I want that Abramsverse shit separate from my TNG timeline. But I think the coincidence is too much.

There's also some overlap with (at least in the lead up comics) Nero's ship having been enhanced with scalvaged Borg tech by the Romulans

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When Picard was telling Dajh that she wasn't a freak, that she was special with special gifts my brain went.

"Um, Sir Patrick... You are playing Picard right now, not Xavier."

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is this available in 4K on amazon? I know it can sometimes be a nightmare to find because they seem to have 4K versions as separate programs, but I can't find it. Want to check before I watch the regular version (UK here)

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot that Voyager ended with Janeway bringing back future Borg tech plus the years of experience directly against (and with) the queen. Are the Borg not a threat anymore? The last shot was ominous but I'm not sure in which way.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot that Voyager ended with Janeway bringing back future Borg tech plus the years of experience directly against (and with) the queen. Are the Borg not a threat anymore? The last shot was ominous but I'm not sure in which way.
It's been a looong time, but weren't they completely defeated in the Voyager finale? Their transwarp conduits were destroyed and the Queen was killed(?).

Even if they recovered, it would take them centuries to rebuild their vast interstellar network.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm spoilering this as I am not 100% on the rules

Is the destruction of Romulus in the Abrams Star Trek movie supposed to be what what caused the destruction of Romulus in Picard?

I hope not, I want that Abramsverse shit separate from my TNG timeline. But I think the coincidence is too much.

That the Supernova was in the TOS->TNG Prime timeline was made abundantly clear when the 2009 movie came out. It's the plot method by which they separated the two timelines. The events of the movies after Nero and Spock go back in time have no bearing on the prime timeline.

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Canonically, it's unresolved. The collective may be in disarray, it may be recovering, or it may be conspiring. Given various members of the cast, it'll likely be addressed

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a looong time, but weren't they completely defeated in the Voyager finale? Their transwarp conduits were destroyed and the Queen was killed(?).

Even if they recovered, it would take them centuries to rebuild their vast interstellar network.
They also killed the queen during First Contact, it doesn't mean much. As for the transwarp conduits, yeah that probably sucks for them but is less likely a game ender since they were fully capable of going faster-than-warp even outside of them.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I enjoyed that. Episode flew by. Script was a bit hokey in its dialogue scenes especially between Daj and Picard but I'm very intrigued where it's going. A good set up for what is to come.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did all / most of the Romans Picard rescued from the nova die in the synth attack? That part wasn't clear.

Also shouldn't Lore be in a closet somewhere like B-4? And he was more advanced then Data so surely they could have studied him.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Canonically, it's unresolved. The collective may be in disarray, it may be recovering, or it may be conspiring. Given various members of the cast, it'll likely be addressed

I know the Borg proper will somehow be involved, how can they not with Picard's history but outside of that final show they were conspicuously not mentioned in the whole synthetic talk. I was wondering if that meant the Borg are gone but Romulans(/Maddox?) fucked up using latent Borg tech or something more insidious like the Borg being quiet but infiltrating after getting almost decimated.

Oct 25, 2017
Having just watched that episode with Lore/Data and Soong, he says Lore isn't more advanced than Data, if anything Data is more advanced.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having just watched that episode with Lore/Data and Soong, he says Lore isn't more advanced than Data, if anything Data is more advanced.

Ok. Maybe its some dumb Metal Gear Solid 1 thing. I forget.

But still. Lore was caught the last time he was in TNG right? I forget if his last apperance was that Soong episode or the one with the rogue borg

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So did all / most of the Romans Picard rescued from the nova die in the synth attack? That part wasn't clear.

Also shouldn't Lore be in a closet somewhere like B-4? And he was more advanced then Data so surely they could have studied him.

No, Picard didn't get to rescue most of the Romulans in general because the fleet got hijacked while it was being built. That's where the 900 million comes from - the population of the worlds destroyed in the Hobus supernova, chiefly Romulus.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

The Synths attacked Mars and the Utopia Planitia Shipyard (which I always assumed was in orbit of Mars but is depicted as on the surface of Mars here, but whatever). I highly doubt there was any high Romulan population. The episode didn't really draw a straight line between the relationship, but it seems Starfleet (and the public too?) felt that the Synth attack was worse and more devastating because Picard had a good portion of the existing fleet away helping rescue the Romulan population and Utopia was busy making ships specifically for the rescue effort, and then with the Shipyard destroyed, Starfleet's ability to build new starships period had to have taken a big hit, hence the resentment from Starfleet and the negative public perception.

Of course, if Starfleet has really gone centuries without having other shipyards other than Utopia Planitia then they were asking for trouble anyway.

I may have that backwards though, it's not really clear to me if the attack by the synths happened during the Romulan crisis or well after the Supernova.

I think he has been depressed. At the end he laments the years he wasted "nursing my offended dignity". But yeah, he's still himself.

I think there is a fundamental character difference between Picard and the "Other Sci-Fi Character" people are comparing him too. The latter was depressed and a recluse because of his own behavior that he saw as a failing, whereas Picard didn't have a personal failing, rather he has been depressed and wasting years because the system itself failed despite his best efforts. Picard was the one upholding the Roddenberry values while he felt the institutions he'd devoted his lives to had failed at their obligation to uphold those same values.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. Maybe its some dumb Metal Gear Solid 1 thing. I forget.

But still. Lore was caught the last time he was in TNG right? I forget if his last apperance was that Soong episode or the one with the rogue borg

I believe the last thing we know is that Data took him down and was dismantled and kept in storage at starfleet.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

The episode with the rogue Borg was the last Lore episode. That was the season six finale/season seven premiere. The Soong episode was season four. The last time we saw Lore, Data deactivated him and he was disassembled.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I must say I really like the direction they've taken with Picard's disillusionment with Starfleet. I was fearing a very generic "oh noes Starfleet is evil now" plotline, but it seems a lot more nuanced than that right now; it's the exact sort of thing Picard would take a stand against. It feels totally inline with what happened to Starfleet up to this point, rather than some moustache-twirling turn.

Let the Drumhead begin.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Picard didn't get to rescue most of the Romulans in general because the fleet got hijacked while it was being built. That's where the 900 million comes from - the population of the worlds destroyed in the Hobus supernova, chiefly Romulus.

Ok that makes sense.

It was a bit of a info dump but yeah. Picard convinces starfleet to help the Romulans. They start building the ships. Synth Attack happens. Starfleet decide to scrap the rescue mission. Picard resigns in protest.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So speculation based on some of the trailers for Picard

Are former Borg drones considered 'snyths', meaning that the ex-Borg internment camps are an official Federation thing?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at a timeline and this actually takes place a few years after when the All Good Things Future alt-timeline was meant to happen.

giphy.gif

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I love that they showed Worf in this episode. Just get it out of the way really quickly that yes, Klingons still look like they should don't worry.
I kind of wish they would have edited it to make him look like the Discovery Klingons just to make people lose their goddamn minds.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Looking at a timeline and this actually takes place a few years after when the All Good Things Future alt-timeline was meant to happen.

Yea, I thought it was interesting they didn't go with the bearded picard like the alternate timeline. Or maybe since he didn't get Irrumodic syndrome, it changed his outlook on life.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The Borg should still be threat - they hold a massive amount of space and have an enormous fleet. However it would make sense for them to be rethinking their strategy towards humanity in the face of numerous failures against Voyager and Species 8472. The best way for Star Trek to handle them for Picard and other series set at the same time or shortly afterwards would be to invent a plot where the Borg focused their efforts on assimilating the Delta quadrant, massively increasing their numbers and obtaining new knowledge and technology that way, in preparation for a long battle with the Federation and other assorted Alpha quadrant powers in the long-term future.

Of course, if Starfleet has really gone centuries without having other shipyards other than Utopia Planitia then they were asking for trouble anyway.
They have at least a few other shipyards - the Enterprise-E was launched from San Francisco yards (which are orbital but have a HQ in San Francisco) and Voyager was launched from the McKinley Yard (also in Earth orbit). There really should be others in other systems but who knows.

So speculation based on some of the trailers for Picard

Are former Borg drones considered 'snyths', meaning that the ex-Borg internment camps are an official Federation thing?
If there's Federation internment camps for former Borg drones then they really screwed up by not interning the most famous former Borg drone ever.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If there's Federation internment camps for former Borg drones then they really screwed up by not interning the most famous former Borg drone ever.
Oh yeah, I imagine she and the other Voyager ex-Borg would be exceptions, in part due to how helpful they were to Starfleet vs. the Borg, and in part because Janeway could vouch for them.

IIRC the trailers show Seven with an office.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I imagine she and the other Voyager ex-Borg would be exceptions, in part due to how helpful they were to Starfleet vs. the Borg, and in part because Janeway could vouch for them.

IIRC the trailers show Seven with an office.
Seven might well be famous but she doesn't qualify as the most famous. There isn't a Star Trek series named after her :p.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this Borg talk now has me really wondering how Hugh is going to factor into the show.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how there was a sort of meta comment when Dajh was like 'you are the super famous guy' where like yeah, as the captain of the ship in The Next Generation, you would necessarily be like the most famous person in the galaxy given all the things you were involved in.