• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My fear is it'll be Star Trek Discovery with Patrick Stewart playing himself instead of Picard.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
That'S quite a bit to watch, I think I am going in without doing that kind of research. I have some knowledge of all of the characters mentioned in the essential episodes so I hope I can research the rest on the fly if needed.
Yeah. I agree. I think my rewatch will be Best of Both Words 1,2 and All good things 1,2 and first contact.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing I'm subbing to watch I guess. Discovery is worth a watch too right?
Yep.

Crossing my fingers that we get to see Guinan, Miles O'Brien, Dax, and Bashir at some point. Kira, Odo, or Quark probably wouldn't make any sense, so no expectations there.
Guinan would make total sense to the point where it'd almost be weird if she didn't appear during the series.

It'd be good to see appearances from any of the others you mentioned, though most of them had little to no relationship with Picard so if they start appearing that might seem contrived. (Seven of Nine obviously had no relationship with Picard either, but I assume there are plot reasons for her inclusion in the cast).

I also assume that Odo won't be appearing for much the same reason as Nog :(.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People that haven't been watching the Short Treks might want to watch the last one, Children of Mars, if they want some backstory going into this series.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Does CBS All Access really only output at 720p? Just got it and the IQ wasn't that great and then saw online that max resolution is 720p. That's disappointing if true.

Last edited:

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed they're not airing the show in prime time like Discovery and instead are doing the Mandalorian thing of ensuring everyone is going to be on edge all day on social media

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed they're not airing the show in prime time like Discovery and instead are doing the Mandalorian thing of ensuring everyone is going to be on edge all day on social media

I'm disappointed that they are doing the weekly thing at all because that means I'm just gonna wait til it's over to sign up and binge the whole thing.

Ain't no way I'm signing up for CBS All Access for more than a single free trial at a time.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm disappointed that they are doing the weekly thing at all because that means I'm just gonna wait til it's over to sign up and binge the whole thing.

Ain't no way I'm signing up for CBS All Access for more than a single free trial at a time.

There were giving away a free month of CBS AA during Discovery season 2, they might do something similar again, not sure

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017

I prefer weekly, especially after the success of Mandalorian. The binge model just makes people consume a show and forget about it. Weekly means the show sticks around in the popular culture and everyone has a chance to be on the same page when talking about it. Individual episodes can actually shine through.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Me too - let's hope this Series Picard and not Movie Picard.

On the one hand, there's that thing that went around about how Nemesis has that terrible Picard-driving-an-SUV scene because Patrick Stewart asked for it.

On the other hand, in the Variety interview I think Stewart himself admitted that Nemesis is bad and that part of the reason he agreed to do this show was because he didn't want that movie to be the last word on Picard. So hopefully that means good things?

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I prefer weekly, especially after the success of Mandalorian. The binge model just makes people consume a show and forget about it. Weekly means the show sticks around in the popular culture and everyone has a chance to be on the same page when talking about it. Individual episodes can actually shine through.

I agree with this. I've started to wish all shows were back to weekly. I know I can pace myself, but no one else will, and I miss weekly discussions with everyone plus speculation on what is coming next.

Oct 28, 2017

In a vacuum, I agree...I prefer the weekly model for discussion too when it is on a platform that can support it. I actually wish Netflix would do more with the weekly model.

The problem is that CBS All Access doesn't have the wide ranging appeal or base of Netflix or even Disney +. If you don't have a consumer base, then you can't get the cultural zeitgeist required because a significant number of people will wait until the end like me.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Very much looking forward to it. But then I'm one of the terrible Trek fans that also enjoys Discovery.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
In a vacuum, I agree...I prefer the weekly model for discussion too when it is on a platform that can support it. I actually wish Netflix would do more with the weekly model.

The problem is that CBS All Access doesn't have the wide ranging appeal or base of Netflix or even Disney +. If you don't have a consumer base, then you can't get the cultural zeitgeist required because a significant number of people will wait until the end like me.

I don't feel like the Discovery discussion was particularly weak or anything, there was always a bunch of people in the OT talking about the latest episode. I also don't think Picard will have that problem.

If we're just talking about random CBSAA show no one cares about, sure. Or even unknown shows that end up being popular: I don't know that Russian Doll on Netflix, for example, would've worked as a weekly release. But I don't think the streaming service really matters.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
tenor.gif

can. not. wait.

Last edited:

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

Guinan would make total sense to the point where it'd almost be weird if she didn't appear during the series.

It'd be good to see appearances from any of the others you mentioned, though most of them had little to no relationship with Picard so if they start appearing that might seem contrived. (Seven of Nine obviously had no relationship with Picard either, but I assume there are plot reasons for her inclusion in the cast).

I also assume that Odo won't be appearing for much the same reason as Nog :(.

Oh no, I didn't know. Damnit. RIP Rene Auberjonois :/

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this and to see where they go with it. I know a lot of people are mourning the death of old-style Trek but i'm all for new ideas and genres, and I'm sure there'll be enough there to keep us all (or mostly all) happy. Super interested in the post-Nemesis setting too. Roll on Friday.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I am so worried it is written by the Discovery people, but it does look interesting!

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this character has a new show OT on Resetera in 2020, that's so weird. Still miffed they didn't get Gates McFadden for this.

tenor.gif

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The benefit of weekly is a great show gets more discussion. On the flip side a bad one has its flaws made even worse, like STD and its godawful writing.