• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
If they lost a huge chunk of their military and leadership, the empire could have been overthrown. The colonies would have fought back and kicked out the oppressors.
I mean more that I thought they would've had like worlds populated with Romulans aside from their main world, not just little colonies that they took over from other races. They were supposedly one of the biggest interstellar empires around.

Just thinking of our own population size on earth now and then thinking of 300 years in the future with a more technologically advanced civ that has replicators and advanced medical technology and whatever else and how is there not so many Romulans around that they wouldn't need to fill up other worlds with billions more than what was on their home planet.

Feels kinda like a jrpg where the capital city has like 7 buildings in it or something.

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I mean more that I thought they would've had like worlds populated with Romulans aside from their main world, not just little colonies that they took over from other races. They were supposedly one of the biggest interstellar empires around.
It would be interesting to find out what happened! It could be that, as the seat of power was destroyed, several planets tried to claim leadership and the Empire fractured that way.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

Just thinking of our own population size on earth now and then thinking of 300 years in the future with a more technologically advanced civ that has replicators and advanced medical technology and whatever else and how is there not so many Romulans around that they wouldn't need to fill up other worlds with billions more than what was on their home planet.

Feels kinda like a jrpg where the capital city has like 7 buildings in it or something.
My head canon would justify such a small population by saying Romulus is kind of the Pyongyang of the Romulan Empire and only the privileged live there. The other billions or trillions live on colonies.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
But what is Star Trek?

A show about a planet of the week?
A show that has moral arguments?
A starship with a crew?
Idealism about fighting for a better future and standing up for what you believe in?
A reflection of the times we live in like Star Trek 6 and the wall coming down?

aside from the first point I'm pretty sure once we get rolling this is going to have all those things.
A reflection of the times we live in like Star Trek 6 and the wall coming down?

Star Trek has always been at it's best when exploring the latter two you mentioned. Picard definitely has the potential to do this with the way things have been set up, which is why I'm looking forward to more

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The premiere was one of the best episodes of television I've seen in years. Wow!

Anyone else concerned with the talent put in charge of season 2. I mean 12 Monkeys was solid but MacGuyver? Yikes!

Last edited:

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
That was absolutely fantastic.

I loved it for its heart, for its TNG references, for bringing the timeline forward, for its twist, for its pace, for Stewart's acting...

Basically, it's just about the perfect future for Picard, the greatest of all Captains.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Let me clarify several points.

Picard series shows us that we don't need to live on nostalgia. Instead we can accept that things change and that even Utopia can become wrong.

Whatever else you take from the first episode... The United Federation of Planets literally outlawed a race of people. And as a result other people died (as a side note: 9,000,000 Romulans seems like such a small number considering that the Earth today is nearly 6 billion. You would think Romulus alone would have billions on it)

Guinan pointed out in Measure of a Man the concept of disposable people. Voyager suggested it was holograms, instead it was androids.

The UFP then outlawed them. This is a Utopia on a decline.

Now on to the next thing I said, which is that if Picard the series had tried to be like TNG it would be ignoring the evolution of Television stories.

Obviously media does not evolve in a scientific way.

However storytelling in television has transition from short-form media to long-form Media. We don't really get episodes of the week anymore. Even sitcoms have running story lines that go through the entire series.

If the Picard show had tried to be an episode of the week science fiction drama, it would have failed. Because we expect more from our media nowadays.

Hell look at how the Mandalorian did it and how many people think certain episodes are "filler" without understanding that each part of that story was telling a cohesive whole.

Gone are the days of TNGs two parters and finally we are and the era long form theme for a season is the norm.

Could anyone actually imagine the show like The Best of Both Worlds part 1 and 2. Where Riker proves that he can be the captain of the Enterprise, and then at the end we get Picard back and Riker just forgets that he should be a captain because he spent to episodes doing it.

CClassic Trek was an episode and a reset button. Modern Trek is long form serialization.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

I love the Expanse, but bringing up that comparison to complain about pacing is weird considering how slow that show started as well. On the other hand, I kinda wish the Expanse has an actor of Patrick Stewart's calibre at its centre.

The premiere was one of the best episodes of television I've seen in years. Wow!

Anyone else concerned with the talent put in charge of season 2. I mean 12 Monkeys was solid but MacGuyver? Yikes!

I'm not that worried if they already has a three season long storyline mapped out. And Chabon is still a writer first and foremost, making Kavalier and Clay into a show is what he deserves.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cardassia Prime had 7 billion people during DS9

I imagine most Homeworlds would have similar numbers

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Romulans look more like the TOS kind, they got rid of the forehead ridges and bad haircuts

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
If the Picard show had tried to be an episode of the week science fiction drama, it would have failed. Because we expect more from our media nowadays.
I do not think it is fair to call this "more", because this overarching story thing has a clear disadvantage: If the overarching plot sucks, it takes the whole series with it and it is difficult to plan and pace such a story properly. The Discovery people for instance failed spectacularly in that, and as a consequence the few ok-good episodes for Discoverywere thise that did not advance the plot.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'd presume romulans only have sex once every seven years like Vulcans, and live as long as them too. I"d imagine those limitations alone would create a smaller population.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd presume romulans only have sex once every seven years like Vulcans, and live as long as them too. I"d imagine those limitations alone would create a smaller population.
Romulans are not affected by Pon Farr - that's a side effect of Vulcans repressing their emotions. Romulans fuck like the best of them whenever.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The super powered android then dying and flipping to a twin felt like when you play a video game and the first level you're powered up to give you a taste and then it takes all your powers away

I'm confused by the last scene though. Is that the official romulan recovery site? They seem to have regular people there, not just Romulans so shouldn't be a covert thing. But the pull out was all ooh Borg cube so I don't know what I'm supposed to take away from that

and are we supposed to know who the goofy English guy is or who his brother was? Just seemed very blunt.

generally positive but the young actors felt a bit jarring - and it seemed to be really close in on them for some scenes so felt claustrophobic

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Cardassia Prime had 7 billion people during DS9

I imagine most Homeworlds would have similar numbers
In TNG the Romulans planned an invasion of Vulcan using 3 Vulcan transports containing 2,000 Romulan troops.

Even with total surprise, elite troopers carrying sci-fi weapons and wearing the latest in high-tech hats, a carefully-selected landing zone and initially having to fight only against a bunch of pacifists, that number is all kinds of bonkers.

I think Trek does do a little better than some other science fiction settings at getting plausible populations, but sometimes it lapses into figures that make no sense from any perspective.

That being said, I don't think Picard has done that yet. The figure in the show of 900m Romulans is the amount that could feasibly be rescued - I don't think we're meant to assume that number was equal to the population of Romulus (we should probably assume that the population was far higher).

I'm confused by the last scene though. Is that the official romulan recovery site? They seem to have regular people there, not just Romulans so shouldn't be a covert thing. But the pull out was all ooh Borg cube so I don't know what I'm supposed to take away from that
Right now I'd guess that the Romulans are not attempting to make a long-term home on a Borg cube, and that the title of "reclamation site" means one of two things:

- it's one of several "reclamation sites" around the territory of the empire and most of the others are traditional planetary environments
or
- the title "reclamation site" is specific to their efforts to recover Borg technology from that cube, and their societal recovery efforts have a different name (and location)

I don't think we see regular people there? Maybe I missed them, but everyone on-screen seems pretty official to me (although admittedly Romulan "fashion" doesn't make that distinction easy).

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
After watching it a second time, I feel like my only real complaint is that everything looks much more like it's set in 2040 rather than 2400. I'm not sure what I was expecting because we hadn't seen that much of earth in the 24th century before and I don't mind that it doesn't look exactly like in TNG or DS9 either -- but that weird "TV" interview or what we're shown of Paris, Boston, and San Francisco felt disappointing / unimaginative to me.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not sure what to think of it yet.
The exposition was not very elegant and I don't like that they distance themselves from the Utopia they created with the older shows.

Also stuff like: They are created in pairs.
Maybe I'm missing something but how does that make sense?
Is it more than a simple bait and switch - the premise does and 15 minutes later your telling us there's another one?
I don't know, feels a little contrived so far.

On the other hand I loved the acting of Picard. The role seems to have grown and there's history we didn't see over the last decade. It will be fun to see what Patrick Stewart makes out if that even if I'm not in love with the jumping off point all of this uses.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a little unclear on the current situation as laid out in the interview / exposition dump.

Who are they saying died during the synthetic's attack on Mars? Did Starfleet turn their back on Romulans after the attack?

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little unclear on the current situation as laid out in the interview / exposition dump.

Who are they saying died during the synthetic's attack on Mars? Did Starfleet turn their back on Romulans after the attack?
90k+ people on Mars and the utopia planitia shipyards. Because of this Starfleet abandoned the rescue effort to focus on that.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Enjoyed the first episode. Felt a little clunky at times but overall good.
Felt like a missed opportunity not to make this about Lal but about some random other androids based on Data's design.

Deleted member 45211

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Man, I get why writers do it, but "governments always turn evil" is not a message I need illustrated at the moment. Give me some hope for the future once in a while.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I get why writers do it, but "governments always turn evil" is not a message I need illustrated at the moment. Give me some hope for the future once in a while.
I am getting the feeling that governments go astray but good people will overcome it and succeed, which I think is an important message when so many people feel so defeated

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know where Picard will take it, but Discovery seems to be doing something similar next season with the Federation breaking up in some sort of way and Starfleet seemingly dissolving.

We've had two seasons of Discovery and one episode of Picard and for some reason these writers can't help but keep pointing out that Starfleet and the Federation are incompetent and just a bit shit at everything. It's quite a stark contrast to how they were shown generally in the TNG era of shows. The Federation has never been perfect, but it's supposed to be a hopeful future of what can happen when we work together, but it's obviously become too much of a crutch to tell these new stories.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Federation at the start of TNG is a very different organization from the one at the end of DS9.

Wolf 359, The Marquis and The Dominion war changed all that

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
We've had 4 shows in which the Federation was this utopian organization (well maybe in DS9 this was not entirely the case) so i'm fine with the new shows mixing it up a bit on that front.

I do hope the positive message from the old stuff stays around in some form but I expect it will

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where Picard will take it, but Discovery seems to be doing something similar next season with the Federation breaking up in some sort of way and Starfleet seemingly dissolving.

We've had two seasons of Discovery and one episode of Picard and for some reason these writers can't help but keep pointing out that Starfleet and the Federation are incompetent and just a bit shit at everything. It's quite a stark contrast to how they were shown generally in the TNG era of shows. The Federation has never been perfect, but it's supposed to be a hopeful future of what can happen when we work together, but it's obviously become too much of a crutch to tell these new stories.
Even in the TNG era you had real bad eggs inside Starfleet in the admiralty making really bad decisions, sometimes truly awful. See this post for some of the low points:

Once you get past the fact that each week we saw one ship, one crew flying around the universe in their hotel that's got everything you could ever need - all while ignoring how things worked for the rest of the people in the federation. They have homes, food, sure, but does that mean every problem is truly solved?

Oct 31, 2017

The new season of Disco is obviously about bringing the Federation back so maybe watch the show first?

besides, from what I remember from TNG/DS9: most of the times the Federation showed up represented by some Admiral, they was on some bullshit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theory by where we'll end this season on:
A human flesh and blood version of Data - played by Brent Spiner as he is today. A version of Data that finally becomes human.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
20 pages after 1 episode seems kind of crazy. It's great to be having these deep conversations about Trek again. With two other streak shows out this year I can't wait to see what issues are brought up and discussed.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
After one episode I would say you would like it, more so if you liked DS9 in my view. Obviously it has the TNG cast, but this episode felt to ally more like DS9 to me.

DS9 is my favorite Trek bit I love the cast of all the shows. Is it like discovery at all? I couldn't get into that.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Even in the TNG era you had real bad eggs inside Starfleet in the admiralty making really bad decisions, sometimes truly awful. See this post for some of the low points:

Once you get past the fact that each week we saw one ship, one crew flying around the universe in their hotel that's got everything you could ever need - all while ignoring how things worked for the rest of the people in the federation. They have homes, food, sure, but does that mean every problem is truly solved?

Like I said they've never been shown as being perfect, far from it, but the Federation was created and always been positioned as something hopeful for the future. It could just be that we've moved from the occasional evil admirals to just a general these bunch of no name Starfleet people are making shitty decisions and not having a face to the way Starfleet is being portrayed.

It's obvious that the move from episodic stories to smaller seasons based solely on a main story arc has changed how they work with the universe. These stories so far being based around cataclysmic events for the galaxy for a season rather than just one ship ends up bringing in Earth and the Federation more, and then showing them doing almost nothing about these events doesn't help their look.

I'll be interested in seeing after Picard finishes what the reasoning will be in Discovery next season as to why they need to put it back together. I've never really been a fan of the Andromeda style story line for Star Trek, the internet has talked about doing such a story for years, but that seems to be where they are heading. I just hope we aren't again told that the Federation/Starfleet were being useless again and just fell apart, I want something interestingly but nonsensically Star Trek, maybe warp stopped working or something, just not another bad Starfleet decision.

Hopefully we get a show at some point that can go explore doing something else going on in the universe away from Earth and the political machinations of the Federation.

The new season of Disco is obviously about brining the Federation back so maybe watch the show first?

Im really not sure what your trying to tell me. I'll obviously watch it like I have everything else, do you not want people discuss what the future possibilities of these shows are?

As a TNG/DS9/VOY fan how much will I dislike Picard?

It's definitely more later DS9 seasons than TNG or Voyager. It's good, but much more modern tv like Discovery than episodic Star Trek of old.

I'd give it a chance, or if you don't feel the first episode wait for the season to finish and binge it and see how you feel.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I want to read the countdown comic but I can't seem to get it where I live (Netherlands). There is a comic book store here and they said they might be able to get it once all three issues are bundled

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
DS9 is my favorite Trek bit I love the cast of all the shows. Is it like discovery at all? I couldn't get into that.
Doesn't feel like discovery to me at all. There is action, but it is far lighter on that than discovery. There are some Discovery shuttles that seem to be driving a certain group of fans nuts, but if you are in it for the story then that's an extremely nit picky complaint.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Like I said they've never been shown as being perfect, far from it, but the Federation was created and always been positioned as something hopeful for the future. It could just be that we've moved from the occasional evil admirals to just a general these bunch of no name Starfleet people are making shitty decisions and not having a face to the way Starfleet is being portrayed.

It's obvious that the move from episodic stories to smaller seasons based solely on a main story arc has changed how they work with the universe. These stories so far being based around cataclysmic events for the galaxy for a season rather than just one ship ends up bringing in Earth and the Federation more, and then showing them doing almost nothing about these events doesn't help their look.

I'll be interested in seeing after Picard finishes what the reasoning will be in Discovery next season as to why they need to put it back together. I've never really been a fan of the Andromeda style story line for Star Trek, the internet has talked about doing such a story for years, but that seems to be where they are heading. I just hope we aren't again told that the Federation/Starfleet were being useless again and just fell apart, I want something interestingly but nonsensically Star Trek, maybe warp stopped working or something, just not another bad Starfleet decision.

Hopefully we get a show at some point that can go explore doing something else going on in the universe away from Earth and the political machinations of the Federation.

Im really not sure what your trying to tell me. I'll obviously watch it like I have everything else, do you not want people discuss what the future possibilities of these shows are?

It's definitely more later DS9 seasons than TNG or Voyager. It's good, but much more modern tv like Discovery than episodic Star Trek of old.

I'd give it a chance, or if you don't feel the first episode wait for the season to finish and binge it and see how you feel.
Doesn't feel like discovery to me at all. There is action, but it is far lighter on that than discovery. There are some Discovery shuttles that seem to be driving a certain group of fans nuts, but if you are in it for the story then that's an extremely nit picky complaint.

Ok I will have to give it a shot. It feeling like modern TV doesn't inspire confidence however. I enjoy the 90s factor of Star trek lol