• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this character has a new show OT on Resetera in 2020, that's so weird. Still miffed they didn't get Gates McFadden for this.

tenor.gif

I can't see this gif without vividly remembering this silly YouTube edit:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I use a VPN or a location spoofer, would I be able to watch this on Amazon Prime? Or does the service filter out anyone with a US-based account?

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I use a VPN or a location spoofer, would I be able to watch this on Amazon Prime? Or does the service filter out anyone with a US-based account?
If you made your account with US info and use a VPN, it will just filter out what's not available in the country that you set the VPN to. Your still locked to US content basically. I just signed up for CBS all access through prime video channels.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm hyped for this, and I've been rewatching TNG with my BF (his first time) in anticipation.

Notwithstanding, I'm actually expecting the first season and first episodes to be of mixed or even bad quality. Like almost every Trek show, the expectations are going to by way too high and the writers are also going to need some time to figure out what to do with the show. Also, these new teams behind Trek are really bad of expanding the universe, especially with ship designs that make sense in 2399 (hope to be proven wrong).

But knowing it already has a season 2 approved, makes me hopeful that they managed to find their footing at least towards the end of this first season and came up with promising ideas for the second.

I'm hoping for the best and a surprise in quality, of course, but also trying to not have any high expectations, or any at all.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I've had TNG on my queue to watch for a long while now and I don't know when I'll get around to it, but I don't feel quite right watching Picard without having seen TNG, so it will probably be a while before I see this show despite watching and enjoying ST Discovery.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to see this. It's still kinda wild to me that we're even getting this, both to see beloved old characters again and to finally have a show post-Nemesis. Especially the former, seeing them use Hugh and Seven is so cool to see.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so happy that after almost 20 fucking years, Start Trek is finally moving forward and not doing a prequel or reboot. And no, the framing device for the reboot doesn't count.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what, this is on Amazon Prime video? I'm a Prime subscriber. Thank goodness I can watch this without another subscription(especially to CBS All Access) because I wasn't willing to do that.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Wait what, this is on Amazon Prime video? I'm a Prime subscriber. Thank goodness I can watch this without another subscription(especially to CBS All Access) because I wasn't willing to do that.

I believe it's on prime if you are not in the US or Canada. If you are in the US, you are stuck with CBS All Access. And yes, it sucks.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Next Generation is my favorite ST series and First Contact is my favorite ST movie. This isn't fair 😭
CBS All Access is like $6/month. You can watch all the episodes for less than what it costs to go to the movie theater.

You can also subscribe to it through your Amazon account, if you just don't want to set up another streaming account.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want this to be bad, but given the creative team I fear it'll basically be down to Stewart to carry the whole thing if the plot is trash.

Plus, still annoyed at how few TNG-era characters are in it. I mean, shit... if it's a Romulan centred plot there's no reason not to at least bring back Sela... not like Denise Crosby would say no, lets face it.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
CBS All Access is like $6/month. You can watch all the episodes for less than what it costs to go to the movie theater.

So it's not a weekly release and everything comes out right away? If that's the case then I don't mind. I was actually planning on doing that in a few months because I thought it was a weekly release.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's not a weekly release and everything comes out right away? If that's the case then I don't mind. I was actually planning on doing that in a few months because I thought it was a weekly release.
It's still definitely a weekly release, but there's only 10 episodes. With the 1-Week Free Trial you can probably see every episode within 2 billing cycles. I would wait a week or two to subscribe -- CBS might put the first episode out for free just to generate hype & awareness (they did it for Twilight Zone).

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it's on prime if you are not in the US or Canada. If you are in the US, you are stuck with CBS All Access. And yes, it sucks.

This makes me so annoyed for the situation in Canada. I'm a cord cutter so no Space channel, and I have zero desire for Crave TV... the same thing happened with ST: Discovery. I really dislike that a company that didn't produce the show can lock it to their platform. If I could somehow get it in Canada I would sooner pay for CBS All Access than Crave TV.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Am watching an out-of-order mix of Picard and Data centric episodes before the premier. So far have watched:

The Measure of Man. - Might be my all time fave, honestly. Anything on the show involving Data and the concept of "What defines a living, sentient being?" is just a fascinating subject and Picard's defense of Data still gives me chills. I also love that the core theme of this episode gets picked up again years later when Data himself gets to defend the rights of other synthetic beings, namely the little Exocomps in The Quality of Life which I also rewatched.

The Offspring. - Still love it but man, a lot of the scenes with Lal....haven't aged super great? Her actress just comes off too awkward, especially in her line deliveries, all stilted with a terrible 'I-am-a-robot' type voice and unintentionally comedic. Like the scene where she enrolls in grade school and she's off in a corner by herself and the teacher says something like 'Unfortunately Lal and the children aren't interacting that well and not fitting in together' and I'm thinking "Er yeah, well maybe that's because you have what appears to be a 35 year old woman hanging out with them?" lol Still a pretty powerfully themed episode though. There's just too much happening in it though for one episode for such a serious and weighty event as Data creating a daughter who then dies all within the hour? But I guess that's one of the inherent weaknesses of pre-arc era television which feels more glaring now.

Tapestry - Picard's flashbacks to his youth and coming to terms with his mistakes is handled very well and also of course features some of the best Q moments ever. And I forgot how truly scary the Nausicaans are, young Picard was insane. Picking a petty fight with a large creature that looks like it lept off the cover of an Iron Maiden album takes some guts to put it mildly.

Tonight: Just started watching All Good Things.

Edit: Just finished watching All Good Things, wow. That was....sooooo good. It had been many years since I watched it. That look Picard gives as he pauses and looks around appreciatively at everyone sitting at the poker table really hits you hard.

Last edited:

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just finishing up a rewatch of TNG, on All Good Things... and in the future timeline, there was no Neutral Zone (with the Romulans) because Klingons took over the empire.

Would be super interesting if Picard showed that Klingons took over the remainder of the Romulan Star Empire after Hobus. It's kinda neat how JJTrek somehow was able to tie in the Romulan's decline.

Edit: Nevermind. Romulus was directly referenced as having a plague. lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So hyped for this. Sure, I can see A LOT of Trek fans being pissed this isn't TNG 2.0, but delving deeper into the federation and the source of its failings that we saw throughout TNG and DS9 is going to be interesting (if handled correctly).

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Personally don't mind that it's weekly. Shows can give you a nice cliffhanger with certain episodes then, we have a week to discuss the latest episode rather than trying to binge the whole season and discuss it as a whole, and it lasts a lot longer.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
So hyped for this. Sure, I can see A LOT of Trek fans being pissed this isn't TNG 2.0, but delving deeper into the federation and the source of its failings that we saw throughout TNG and DS9 is going to be interesting (if handled correctly).

That makes me more interested in the direction, for that I'd just watch The Orville.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
My lizard brain loves to binge a show but the community aspect of weekly drops is sorely missed.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

I don't really want TNG 2.0

But damn, I hope this has better writing and editing than DISCO. I want real character moments.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want TNG 2.0

But damn, I hope this has better writing and editing than DISCO. I want real character moments.
I kind of like Discovery for what it is, but I know exactly what you mean. With the time period, actors and foundation of TNG and all those stories bring I would hope for something more heavy than Discovery.