• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Spoiler Policy

Although the voting skewed more towards a 24 hour spoiler policy, more people commenting in the thread were vocal towards following the precedent from other shows where spoilers are allowed as soon as the episode drops, so I think we'll go with that. If it becomes a problem in the future we can revisit.
P72Mw3l.gif

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I hope this is more like Discovery and less like TNG. I like the Picard character but I want to see him deal with some realistic issues and not cherry picked utopian philosophizing. That stuff is just cheesy in 2020.
Hope to see some nods to current events like Trump and Brexit, Stewart's comments seem promising.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Re the spoiler policy - for a series bent on toleration and being the better - not a lot of tolerance shown to those of us not living in the US.
Resetera may be based in the US but I would argue functions and lives as an international forum...

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The spoiler policy here is always "when it best suits the USA" so unfortunately not surprised. Will just have to avoid participating in this thread I guess.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's getting pretty good reviews so far. Don't know if the embargo has lifted, but a bunch of outlets are already publishing their reviews.

So far, that's it's not TNG 2.0 but feels like it has its own purpose and that it is good. Don't want to read any spoilers though! Apparently there's a big surprise.

Oct 26, 2017
I think it went live just as I happened to do a CBS All Access Trial, anyway... first episode was ok... it had some strong scenes I thought.

The conversation about positronic cloning and recreating Data from a single neuron memories and all sounded pretty fucking stupid though. I'm pretty worried about what they might do to the 'modern' Trek timeline but we'll see.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
pretty good episode. this is definitely not TNG! which is great. The ending shot was
fucking bad ass. They're in a recovered borg cube? wtfffff???

golem

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty good

I hadnt considered the possibility she could be data's offspring!

Beautiful looking show too. That pull out on the borg cube was p rad

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I would have no problem thinking this is just the point in her life when she started to show it more. Problems like these are only actually problems when fans let themselves believe they are. We know it's a show and actors age. Sometimes you just accept stuff and enjoy it.

hahaha. I wish people could do that.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler Policy

Although the voting skewed more towards a 24 hour spoiler policy, more people commenting in the thread were vocal towards following the precedent from other shows where spoilers are allowed as soon as the episode drops, so I think we'll go with that. If it becomes a problem in the future we can revisit.
Why ignore the poll for a minority?

It not like Mando, that literally not aired in most of the world yet so spoiler tags not needed, nobody where it doesn't air should be ready the thread unless they want to be spoiled.

It's not hard to use a spoiler tag for 24 hours.

Well, seems episode is out, guess gotta vacate for 24+ hours.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
This is disappointing if true. SVOD shows should take advantage of their platform and be 50-60+ mins. Especially if they're 8-10 episode seasons.

The same length as a traditional network broadcast just makes little sense to me.

I'd say that they should be as long as the story they want to tell in any one episode. If they only need 32 mins for it then great. If they want 64 mins then thats fine too.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Re the spoiler policy - for a series bent on toleration and being the better - not a lot of tolerance shown to those of us not living in the US.
Resetera may be based in the US but I would argue functions and lives as an international forum...

As someone from the UK I don't get why it wouldn't be spoilers as soon as the episode drops like I think literally every other thread.

EDIT: apologies for spam of replies

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I thought it was pretty good. Patrick Stewart crushed it as you'd expect, though I'm not totally convinced by the main plot yet. Also they rushed through a hell of a lot of exposition and character work in such a short time, so a lot of it felt rather rushed.

Also the production values were really good but the animation whenever Dahj jumped around looked hilariously bad lmao

so sick of major IP pulling this "everything is connected" plotting where everyone has to be a child/parent to everyone else. I'd be happy with Picard and Riker drinking tea and talking for 10 episodes tbh

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it went live just as I happened to do a CBS All Access Trial, anyway... first episode was ok... it had some strong scenes I thought.

The conversation about positronic cloning and recreating Data from a single neuron memories and all sounded pretty fucking stupid though. I'm pretty worried about what they might do to the 'modern' Trek timeline but we'll see.
I thought it was interesting
It's been shown time and again that no one could recreate Soongs work. Maddox wanted to dissassemble Data to see how he ticked. What if the reason no one has been able to replicate his work is that there was synthetic DNA as the basis for the technology.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Spoiler Policy

"Even though Barack Obama received more votes, John McCain's voters were louder, so please welcome The President of The United States, John McCain!"

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
of course we have to see the first episode, but from the trailer it looks like technology between ST:D and ST:P did not evolve at all. which is weird.

Personally I found ST:D to be the perfect Mass Effect show, but not Star Trek. For Star Trek it was quite...bad to mediocre. It missed heart and subtle moments. Stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jph2qWXJ-Tk

Now let's see how Picard will do. I watched the interviews and understand they don't want to do TNG 2, but I hope they keep speeches and emotional moments like the ones in the YouTube video intact.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Earl Grey Never Fails

Damn making Picard run. You're gonna kill him.

Love it. Grounded opening

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good start to the season. I liked seeing more of Earth, though based on the season preview I imagine we'll be leaving it by the third episode. Really good music as well, particularly the opening credits theme.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Solid opening episode that delivers on production values, nostalgia fan service and incomparable acting from Patrick Stewart.
The supporting cast leaves much to be desired - I wasn't much of a fan of Isa Briones' performance and felt removed from the action scenes vs. the endless parade of Romulan redshirts. But there's a decent enough foundation laid here to kick off the series and I look forward to what we'll be treated to in the coming weeks.

This week's classic TNG episode to go back and watch for context... The Measure of a Man (S2E9).

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was pretty good. Patrick Stewart crushed it as you'd expect, though I'm not totally convinced by the main plot yet. Also they rushed through a hell of a lot of exposition and character work in such a short time, so a lot of it felt rather rushed.

Also the production values were really good but the animation whenever Dahj jumped around looked hilariously bad lmao

so sick of major IP pulling this "everything is connected" plotting where everyone has to be a child/parent to everyone else. I'd be happy with Picard and Riker drinking tea and talking for 10 episodes tbh

Pretty much my view

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably due to the fact that it IS broadcast television: in Canada, it airs on CTV Sci-Fi Channel (formerly Space).
I had no idea this was the case. Interesting.
I'd say that they should be as long as the story they want to tell in any one episode. If they only need 32 mins for it then great. If they want 64 mins then thats fine too.
I agree. I find Trek (most shows, really) suffers when their epsiodes are constrained to a rigid 38-42 mins though. It seems that the writing and story is hampered immensely being forced to heavily edit and cut things down to meet an imposed limit.
It makes sense if they think they will want to sell the episodes for syndication/air on CBS channels later on.
Yeah, makes sense.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now that the episode it up I'm noping out of this thread, but just before I do, I wanted to mention that Picard seems to be up on Crave in Canada as well, so it looks like the whole "wait a day after broadcast" bullshit is over in Canada. Hurray!

OKAY SEE YOU ALL SOON

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah I fucked up with the poll, I wanted to get people's opinions before we decided, and I get both arguments either way, and more people were arguing with actual posts towards spoilers on episode drop. It shouldn't be a big deal either way.

Anyways, I watched the opening scene on my phone before work, so good.

Looks like The Ready Room will drop at 7 am pacific/10 am eastern

And episode titles

1.01 "Remembrance"
1.02 Maps and Legends"
1.03 "The End is the Beginning"

Episode 4 is directed by Frakes