• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I sometimes wonder if she wasn't going to be in the original Marketing material. So everyone was supposed to be wondering if it was Hugh instead.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
So going back to the Tal Shiar for a minute, ever since the Dominion decapitated them and the Obsidian Order, they were basically neutralized as the Founders intended. Not soon after, their top brass was infiltrated by Starfleet/Section 31 assets before the Dominion War even ended. It makes sense to me that whatever remnants of the Tal Shiar we are seeing are not the cream of the crop, and some sort of extremism pre-supernova caused them to splinter into madness. It would also explain why two older assassins basically quit to defend the man who sacrificed almost everything he had to save them: there was nothing in the Tal Shiar worth serving anymore.

Basically I see the current Tal Shiar as akin to the First Order, with the TNG/DS9 Tal Shiar as the Empire they are trying so hard to emulate.

I honestly think it makes no sense tbh. Some radical element who are obsessed with killing synthetics makes no sense for the progress of Romulans now. But I guess I don't care, I'm getting more Star Trek .

Oct 28, 2017
Really interesting to see the polarising reaction to Discovery after the initial episodes, compared to this.

4 episodes in, is Picard better than the first 4 episodes of Discovery?

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Fuuuck that sliding scene was thermonuclear levels of cringe.

Yeah that was...bad

Also they really need to stop with the whole character gets mad at Picard and walks away while Picard just sits there and yells out their name. Pretty sure I've seen that happen like 4 times.

still liking this a lot tho, Eljnor is cool!! Looks like we're getting a Canto Blight ep next lol!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Omg yes, what the fuck was that

Vrpr0nu.gif

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Really interesting to see the polarising reaction to Discovery after the initial episodes, compared to this.

It's better than Battle-Trek: Disco-scape 5, but I'd say the writing is still terribly weak compared to the highs of previous series.. except maybe Enterprise (which I'm rewatching at the moment)

Feels like it's high quality fanfic like Prelude to Axanar rather than a trek by the studio.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm still generally positive about the show but episode 4 was the weakest yet for me. I feel like there was so much more potential for the episode if like Raffi and Jurati went down to the planet along with Picard. Let them get into some trouble and give opportunities for character development.

It definitely is moving too slowly overall as well.

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't seen Ep 4 yet, but I just binged Disco and really enjoyed the shit out of it. Picard is like what I feared Disco would be, too moody, not enough sci-fi. Disco was really fun and charming.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The pacing of Picard so far is reminiscent of season 1 of The Expanse, but the characterization and dialogue is better than at a similar point in S1 Expanse.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017

The two shows have a lot of the same problems but Discovery at least doesn't have characters we already know behaving weirdly out of character. I still can't get onboard this version of Picard (and I'm sure Seven of Nine will be equally bizarre next week).

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The two shows have a lot of the same problems but Discovery at least doesn't have characters we already know behaving weirdly out of character. I still can't get onboard this version of Picard (and I'm sure Seven of Nine will be equally bizarre next week).
Seven has basically any direction to go in she wants. She was still a little borgy come the end of Voyager and its been ages.

I still have no issue with this Picard. He's old and tired and has no authority over anyone despite acting like he still does. People ignore him and dismiss him like they never did when he was last out in the black. He still gets riled and I guess that's going to build back up as the show goes on. Soft old Picard who's been waiting to die is going to find his dancing feet gradually and in turn garner some of that respect and aura back that he has lost in the intervening time.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, I just can't fucks with this Picard. It'd be interesting if it was part of some character arc, but it's not. He isn't going to change from kind, smiling, open Picard back into reserved, closed off Picard. This is just how we're supposed to accept this new Picard, a dude who enjoys the company of children and knows exactly how to make them smile. Who the hell is this Picard?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I just can't fucks with this Picard. It'd be interesting if it was part of some character arc, but it's not. He isn't going to change from kind, smiling, open Picard back into reserved, closed off Picard. This is just how we're supposed to accept this new Picard, a dude who enjoys the company of children and knows exactly how to make them smile. Who the hell is this Picard?
He was cool with his Uncle-nephew. lol

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Inner Light Picard was Picard's final form the whole time.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Seven has basically any direction to go in she wants. She was still a little borgy come the end of Voyager and its been ages.

I still got little issue with this Picard. He's old and tired and has no authority over anyone despite acting like he still does. People ignore him and dismiss him like they never did when he was last out in the black. He still gets riled and I guess that's going to build back up as the show goes on. Soft old Picard who's been waiting to die is going to find his dancing feet gradually and in turn garner some of that respect and aura back that he has lost in the intervening time.
This is what happens when you get old.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everyone missed the character development of Picard over the course of TNG and the movies if Picard in this show seems out of place.

I see zero contradictions between the Picard we knew and this Picard. They are the same person.

Jan 29, 2018
Oh man that was great. And it looked like none of next week's was in the trailers, so that's great.

I'm really excited to find out what Seven's been up to for the last 20 years. And to a lesser extent Hugh since we last saw him all Borgified in Descent.

Also seeing the Discovery era shuttle in every episode is weird, but whatever.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I quite liked this episode. Not my favorite, but it kept me interested and wanting more.

What I absolutely do not like is that they completely spoil the guest characters by listing the actor and the character during the intro of the show. They did with Data in episode 1, and they did it again with this episode and 7 of 9. I mean there's a few moments left in the show and a mysterious talented pilot shows up and 7 of 9 has been no where to be seen thus far. Gee, I wonder who this could be? If they do manage to have Q appear in an episode and they note "John DeLancie as Q" during the intro, I am going to go insane.

Jan 29, 2018
I quite liked this episode. Not my favorite, but it kept me interested and wanting more.

What I absolutely do not like is that they completely spoil the guest characters by listing the actor and the character during the intro of the show. They did with Data in episode 1, and they did it again with this episode and 7 of 9. I mean there's a few moments left in the show and a mysterious talented pilot shows up and 7 of 9 has been no where to be seen thus far. Gee, I wonder who this could be? If they do manage to have Q appear in an episode and they note "John DeLancie as Q" during the intro, I am going to go insane.

Yeah that spoiled it for me too. But at least I expected to see her on the Borg cube, and not to meet up with our heroes already. So I was surprised in that way. A "skip intro" button would be nice.

Nov 1, 2017
Thankfully they didn't try to make Picard a fighter, he's just too old for that. But they got a new addition who can do very nicely. Loved seeing phasers back, while I like phaser bolts seeing real phasers again was somehow pleasing on a level I didn't expect. They looked nice. And yes I know we saw them during the attack on Mars but it felt different, like a cutter weapon in that situation.

Johnathan Frakes did a good job directing.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Did Picard intentionally put himself in danger in the hope that the kid would rescue him? I assumed so, because he's not a fucking idiot, but then he reprimanded the kid for resorting to violence. What other option was there at that point?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Are you not in the US? The opening credits I see don't show any character names, even on the "special guest stars" at the end. Of course, I know who the actors from the previous shows are so it doesn't matter that the character isn't listed anyway.

Oh, and I still really hate that none of the new Trek is in 4k or in HDR. Just the lighting style itself would lend itself amazingly to it.

Jan 29, 2018
Did Picard intentionally put himself in danger in the hope that the kid would rescue him? I assumed so, because he's not a fucking idiot, but then he reprimanded the kid for resorting to violence. What other option was there at that point?

Yes. Probably wanted Elnor to disable the aggressors, which is unrealistic but usually what the honorable heroes do.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Are you not in the US? The opening credits I see don't show any character names, even on the "special guest stars" at the end. Of course, I know who the actors from the previous shows are so it doesn't matter that the character isn't listed anyway.

I'm in the US. The intro listed Jeri Ryan as a special guest star. I thought it also mentioned "as 7 of 9," but I just rewatched the intro and it just lists her name. Still, its a big enough spoiler to wait until the ending credits to list. Took all the surprise away from her appearance. I knew her character was showing up at some point based on the trailers, but it not when she would appear. The intro spoiled it. If there are surprise characters showing up later, I hope they handle it better.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the US. The intro listed Jeri Ryan as a special guest star. I thought it also mentioned "as 7 of 9," but I just rewatched the intro and it just lists her name. Still, its a big enough spoiler to wait until the ending credits to list. Took all the surprise away from her appearance.

Yeah, I understand the frustration, but name placement in credits is pretty much regulated by union rules and contracts with producers.