• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had just finished the Picard book last night, there was a lot in this episode that connected directly to it, which was kind of nice.. Lots of backstory that was otherwise glossed over on screen.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm in the US. The intro listed Jeri Ryan as a special guest star. I thought it also mentioned "as 7 of 9," but I just rewatched the intro and it just lists her name. Still, its a big enough spoiler to wait until the ending credits to list. Took all the surprise away from her appearance. I knew her character was showing up at some point based on the trailers, but it not when she would appear. The intro spoiled it. If there are surprise characters showing up later, I hope they handle it better.
Makes me glad I don't watch opening credits for shows other than season premieres.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that spoiled it for me too. But at least I expected to see her on the Borg cube, and not to meet up with our heroes already. So I was surprised in that way. A "skip intro" button would be nice.
Yeah, I wouldn't have known if not for her name coming up in the intro credits this week for the first time, but I too didn't expect that to be her entrance until they showed her unknown ship and remembered how little time was left in the ep.

The full surprise would have been cool but the entrance was so nice it didn't really ruin it or anything though since I loved it with them saving each other and then that fun little exchange with Picard to end it.

Quite enjoyed the ep and the story around Picard and Elnor.
Can't wait to see more of Seven so I'm really glad she's already arrived at the end of ep 4 and that she's joining even before we get to the cube, or even our first originally planned destination, since now it looks like we'll get to see a lot of her with her joining so early.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh, also, for those who don't like Raffi calling him JL, it's addressed in the book:

"Hi, JL," she said. She had found this nickname somewhere. Nobody else would get away with it; nobody on the Enterprise would have dared. Neither dismissive nor insubordinate, and yet somehow extremely familiar and disarming. Pure Raffi.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I skipped the opening credits this week, but I still guessed what was about to happen because of all the super obvious gender assuming. Whereas if they just said "transport the pilot" it would have remained a surprise.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I too feel the new Picard is a bit too touchy feely compared to the old one. But he did get better at that post-Borg...and there was The Inner Light...and All Good Things.

Even in a bad way, more in touch with his feelings when he has Borg PTSD in the movie.

I can buy it. Sometimes people soften up on the dwarf-like taciturnness when they get older.

Oct 25, 2017
That was so good and I really like the cast so far also kinda cool to have a hispanic main character, something Trek in general has kinda missed (although Disco as Dr Culber so that's good too) and Sevens intro was perfect, so happy she's back.

Did everyone notice Soji do the Data head tilt?

I caught that! Hope it was intentional

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm no Trekkie but there was some weeeeird stuff going on this episode, no?

Picard goes out of his way to provoke hostilities (because he had a couple minutes to kill before transport and was bored I guess?) and his homeboy straight up decapitates a seemingly important Romulan and his friends (an endangered race now, shouldn't this be a big deal?) in front of a towns worth of people, and then Picard decides to use this newly gathered audience (who just witnessed a grisly triple murder) to deliver a stirring apology speech about how he's done them wrong and potentially broke their faith while this dude's neck stump is assuredly spurting out romulan goo a couple meters from his feet for no reason whatsoever. Then Picard basically slaps the guy on the wrist for murdering 3 people as they flee the scene of the crime.

Oct 25, 2017
Romulan was now a nobody (as there is no empire anymore) and they were the ones that started to provoke Picard and wanted him dead in the first place, his friend came in to defend him (and Picard didn't want anyone dead)

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
This show is starting to feel kinda B movie like or something.

Not that old star trek didn't have it's dumbness but I don't know, this is feeling like it takes itself seriously in that way where it's not really aware how cheesy a lot of the dialogue and action is. Like it's trying really hard to impress.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Romulan was now a nobody (as there is no empire anymore) and they were the ones that started to provoke Picard and wanted him dead in the first place, his friend came in to defend him (and Picard didn't want anyone dead)
I understand that they were assholes, racist assholes even, but It's just odd behavior from Jean Luc, it was evocative of that old trope where our young frustrated protagonist wanders into a bar and provokes a fight with strangers intentionally just to get the shit beat out of them. Except our protagonist in this case is a wreckless 94 year old man stirring up an unnecessary additional conflict on an already life threatening mission and making shitty situations decidedly worse for the people he leaves behind. He's basically like "I failed you guys, see ya!" as he leaves, never to return again.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

Picard goes out of his way to provoke hostilities (because he had a couple minutes to kill before transport and was bored I guess?) and his homeboy straight up decapitates a seemingly important Romulan and his friends (an endangered race now, shouldn't this be a big deal?) in front of a towns worth of people, and then Picard decides to use this newly gathered audience (who just witnessed a grisly triple murder) to deliver a stirring apology speech about how he's done them wrong and potentially broke their faith while this dude's neck stump is assuredly spurting out romulan goo a couple meters from his feet for no reason whatsoever. Then Picard basically slaps the guy on the wrist for murdering 3 people as they flee the scene of the crime.
He was provoking them to appear as a lost cause but he didn't expect anyone to die.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So does anyone else think Rios also a hologram?
Hologram seems unlikely given that he's appeared to be injured, and what we've seen of next week's episode.

He could well be a synth though. Maybe the reason that he has holograms in his image is that he's used to being around someone who looks like he does.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Four episodes in and barely anything has happened. The pacing of this show is a slog and we're still only just being introduce to new characters.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hologram seems unlikely given that he's appeared to be injured, and what we've seen of next week's episode.

He could well be a synth though. Maybe the reason that he has holograms in his image is that he's used to being around someone who looks like he does.
He was a Starfleet officer with a past so unlikely to be a synth. I think it would be a little too far down the ridiculous line if everyone turned out to be one.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
yeah, it's a slow burn but i'm enjoying it. It doesn't have some ofthe stuff that bugs me about discover "hey we're in the middle of a battle, but let's all stop and make powerfull (we hope) speeches," or starfleet logs written as bad poetry. I still like discovery but it's deeeeply flawed. Picard is much better, it's flaws are obvious. This week's ep was much better than last week, apart from that stupid sliding scene.

also Raffi actress still can't act.

and Seven. I'm gonna need some water here. Frakes is such a good match as a director for these shows.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they kept Seven a secret until this episode, but I loved her introduction.

'You owe me a ship Picard'
*thud*
End

I understand why they didn't, she's a popular character. I just hope there is a secret character they haven't spoiled yet.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
He was a Starfleet officer with a past so unlikely to be a synth.
Yes, he was a Starfleet officer, on a ship that has now been entirely erased from the records. Something weird is happening with that back story.

I think it would be a little too far down the ridiculous line if everyone turned out to be one.
Sure. It's kind of weird you think this is relevant though, since I'm not talking about "everyone". I'm talking about one character.

I think it's pretty clear that at least one existing character will be revealed as a synth. The show keeps explaining that they come in pairs and this episode even reminds us that there's more than just Dahj and Soji out there. There's going to be at least one "character turns out to be a Cylon synth" moment, and it's not going to be Picard or Seven or Elnor, it doesn't seem like the most likely path for Jurati, and Raffi's got even more of a history (including on-screen through flashbacks). I'm not saying anything for certain, but Rios as a synth doesn't seem all that unlikely to me. Certainly not "ridiculous".

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, he was a Starfleet officer, on a ship that has now been entirely erased from the records. Something weird is happening with that back story.

Sure. It's kind of weird you think this is relevant though, since I'm not talking about "everyone". I'm talking about one character.

I think it's pretty clear that at least one existing character will be revealed as a synth. The show keeps explaining that they come in pairs and this episode even reminds us that there's more than just Dahj and Soji out there. There's going to be at least one "character turns out to be a Cylon synth" moment, and it's not going to be Picard or Seven or Elnor, it doesn't seem like the most likely path for Jurati, and Raffi's got even more of a history (including on-screen through flashbacks). I'm not saying anything for certain, but Rios as a synth doesn't seem all that unlikely to me. Certainly not "ridiculous".
I'm almost certain the two Romulans are those other synths. I can totally see them having learned what they are and are on a mission to destroy where they came from out of disgust. Narek probably has warmed to Soji enough to realise you're more than what you're made from

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. I really, REALLY liked this episode. I will agree the sliding scene was cringe inducing though, but I am really enjoying he deep dive into romulan culture.

Edit: Also the line about Klingon opera and it being a long story seems Worf related to me? Maybe even Dax (since that would be an easy recast for obvious reasons).

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
What I absolutely do not like is that they completely spoil the guest characters by listing the actor and the character during the intro of the show. They did with Data in episode 1, and they did it again with this episode and 7 of 9. I mean there's a few moments left in the show and a mysterious talented pilot shows up and 7 of 9 has been no where to be seen thus far. Gee, I wonder who this could be? If they do manage to have Q appear in an episode and they note "John DeLancie as Q" during the intro, I am going to go insane.

Luckily I totally missed this. But I already knew it was happening, they should have kept a lid on more of these.

They totally did it in the old shows too, I just watched Timeless and it started with "special guest LeVar Burton". Oh okay then.

Feb 24, 2018
Just finished the episode and I really think the writers have forgotten that the Romulans were a Star Empire, with hundreds of systems in their control and not just on one planet, the episodes plot doesn't really make sense if it's the former because it feels like couldn't you just transported them to the other Romulan colonies?

Also I'm still curious to what happened to all the other aliens under Romulan control, like was their a big Freedom's movement and mass rebellions again the Star Empire?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like everyone missed the character development of Picard over the course of TNG and the movies if Picard in this show seems out of place.

I see zero contradictions between the Picard we knew and this Picard. They are the same person.

I don't agree. I see almost nothing in common with the two characters.

Can't wait for brooding Picard to come back.

source.gif

The movies were panned for exactly that reason though. One of the biggest complaints by fans was that movie Picard was inconsistent with show Picard.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
First I too found it wierd that Picard was so different, but a LOT of time has passed and the character went through hell. He left Starfleet in shame and lived a life that he didn't really enjoy afterwards. All while still grieving over Data, feeling guilt towards the Romulans and feeling like Starfleet betrayed him after all he did for them.

That changes a man. This Picard desperately wants to make amends but knows he needs the people around him. People he does not command. The way Picard behaves in the show makes sense to me. He left the Chair a long time ago.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
First I too found it wierd that Picard was so different, but a LOT of time has passed and the character went through hell. He left Starfleet in shame and lived a life that he didn't really enjoy afterwards. All while still grieving over Data, feeling guilt towards the Romulans and feeling like Starfleet betrayed him after all he did for them.

That changes a man. This Picard desperately wants to make amends but knows he needs the people around him. People he does not command. The way Picard behaves in the show makes sense to me. He left the Chair a long time ago.

Yeah I think Episode 5 showed that very well where Picard often tries to be like he used to but it all falls apart because he doesn't have his standing and power anymore he had as Captain and Admiral and time moved on while he was sulking in his Chateau.

That said no matter how much you change your avatar and name, I'll still remember you being IrisComeBack with a Miku avatar! :P

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
When can I get this Picard?

The only time Picard felt like his proper self is when he went nuts on Romulan boy and admonished him for killing that dude.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So by the way, is the CBS All Access app awful for anyone else on Apple TV? The audio is never in sync with the video for me when using my sound bar. Every other app works fine.

Oct 26, 2017

This is kind of hilarious. I've got this vision of the finale being an alternative viewpoint of all the events but with Picard being this ailing lunatic causing trouble and leaving a wake of bodies in his path.

Rage against the dying of the light Picard.

When can I get this Picard?

The only time Picard felt like his proper self is when he went nuts on Romulan boy and admonished him for killing that dude.

The only time I feel Picard has shown up is when Stewart plays him angry.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I honestly think it makes no sense tbh. Some radical element who are obsessed with killing synthetics makes no sense for the progress of Romulans now. But I guess I don't care, I'm getting more Star Trek .

Well that's kind of my point: the vast majority of the rational, "professional" intelligence operatives were killed by the Dominion, leaving a bunch of crazy radicals to occupy their positions and this kind of insanity happened.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Have to say this is boring me to tears. Just finished going through all of discovery in 2 weeks which I loved so was really looking forward to more Star Trek.

I still think it can get better so I'm not giving up yet.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Have to say this is boring me to tears. Just finished going through all of discovery in 2 weeks which I loved so was really looking forward to more Star Trek.

I still think it can get better so I'm not giving up yet.

This is sort of how I feel. I don't even have an opinion on picard because nothing has happened yet. The single moment thus far that I really liked is when Picard got mad at Romulan Legolas.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's really slow to start, but The Expanse was also an extremely slow start and now it's one of my favorite shows, so I'll keep going. I am glad to see the main crew seems to be introduced now.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Romulan Legolas: You abandoned me, surrogate daddy!

JL:
30vsxh.png

also JL: "But hey listen, I guess the nuns told me you were strong. Wanna Suicide Squad with me?

Romulan Legolas: "That's all I am to you: a weapon!"

JL: "I just said that, dummy. Pay attention."

Last edited:

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
so far I've been loving this show, the only parts I really didn't like are the ones aboard the Borg Cube. Also any time they talk about money or land ownership leaves me spinning- I could personally use an entire episode just about how the hell the economy works on Earth.

Other than that, I like all the main cast so far, and I haven't found Picard to be out of sync with anything. He does seem like what I would expect an elderly Picard to be like, and there are a couple nods to old Picard from the TNG finale.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Seven of NIne

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHEN WILL THE NEXT EPISODE HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was super unexpected too holy shit