• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hokey1

Oct 25, 2017
Are you not in the US? The opening credits I see don't show any character names, even on the "special guest stars" at the end. Of course, I know who the actors from the previous shows are so it doesn't matter that the character isn't listed anyway.

Oh, and I still really hate that none of the new Trek is in 4k or in HDR. Just the lighting style itself would lend itself amazingly to it.
Picard on CBS All Access on Apple tv is in Dolby Vision.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the trailers I was hoping it would be Picard and crew flying about in the RomBop. Shame it got so little screen time. Look forward to the Eaglemoss model.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Seven of NIne

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHEN WILL THE NEXT EPISODE HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was super unexpected too holy shit

You summed up my reaction when it happened! :P I mean I knew it would eventually happen but I didn't think it would be this episode.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I hope they use Short Treks to fill us in a bit on what the rest of the Enterprise crew got up to during the 20 year gap in between Picard seasons. I'd love a quick comedy episode showing Wesley get bored of his traveller powers and missing the glory of fixing things at the last second without them.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Much more enjoyable than the slog that opening three-parter became. The Romulan evacuation in particular does suffer from the same "this doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it too hard" that Discovery also has, and I'm not a fan of what they've done to the Federation, but more Trek has always been a good thing for me. I'm much more upbeat about the rest of the show than I was last week.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm enjoying all of Star Trek Picard, I'm just wishing that the pacing was a bit better. After nearly every episode I've found myself shocked that it's the end because not enough seemed to have happened. I was all for dropping this weekly as I thought it worked for Discovery but I actually think Picard's pace would have been less jarring if you could watch all the episodes back to back.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Characters are enjoyable ... but man this show is a bit of a slog. 4 hours of basically just introducing people.

Also good gawd is that the most boring interior ship design in Star Trek or what ... how much of the show is going to take place there. I really dislike the whole JJ Abrams bright shiny lights + desolate industrial garage look.

Really not engaging with any of the Soji scenes either. Show has potential but it needs to start picking it up, big time.

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Much more enjoyable than the slog that opening three-parter became. The Romulan evacuation in particular does suffer from the same "this doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it too hard" that Discovery also has, and I'm not a fan of what they've done to the Federation, but more Trek has always been a good thing for me. I'm much more upbeat about the rest of the show than I was last week.
Can I ask, what have they done to the Federation?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask, what have they done to the Federation?

Declining the evacuation of Romulus, banning synthetic, sentient life in a reactionary measure due to one attack, it all just feels a bit "un-Trek" to me. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it because I don't consider Star Trek as some inflexible ideal that can never be changed. It's just kind of disappointing to see the Federation fall to that kind of thing.

I never liked Section 31 either, if that gives you some perspective.

Edit: FWIW, it has given us the impoverished Romulan refugee camp/settlement this week. I always thought Trek was at its best when it held up a mirror to the modern world, and it's certainly doing that with this weeks episode.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
They've kinda become xenophobic mustache twirling villains, banning synthetic life, dooming Romulus for political agendas, etc

This isn't true at all.

The show has made it a point to note the difficult circumstances of what happened on Mars and with the evacuation and the nuance of the reactions from everybody.

The Federation is literally still an open border government full of different species. It's reminded largely unchanged to its average citizens and its colonies.

Banning synth life is a problem, but it's not something that's unreasonable in light of what happened. It's not like the Federation had a great track record with synthetic life before by using EMH 1's as slave labor.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Declining the evacuation of Romulus, banning synthetic, sentient life in a reactionary measure due to one attack, it all just feels a bit "un-Trek" to me. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it because I don't consider Star Trek as some inflexible ideal that can never be changed. It's just kind of disappointing to see the Federation fall to that kind of thing.

I never liked Section 31 either, if that gives you some perspective.

Edit: FWIW, it has given us the impoverished Romulan refugee camp/settlement this week. I always thought Trek was at its best when it held up a mirror to the modern world, and it's certainly doing that with this weeks episode.
They've kinda become xenophobic mustache twirling villains, banning synthetic life, dooming Romulus for political agendas, etc
But they are demonstrably also infiltrated by the Zhat Vash and at high levels.

Given the events of Mars its not hard to expect a little nudging in the right direction from the Zhat Vash would make the Federation take such measures especially if they were unsure about helping the Romulans in the first place (understandable given the history involved).

Wasn't Bashir also technically banned?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
But they are demonstrably also infiltrated by the Zhat Vash and at high levels.

Given the events of Mars its not hard to expect a little nudging in the right direction from the Zhat Vash would make the Federation take such measures expecially if they were unsure about helping the Romulans in the first place (understandable given the history involved).

This may be true, but still, the idea that the entire population of the Federation would be cool with the idea with banning a form of sentient life, even if that idea is coming from a few bad actors at the top, is depressing.

I mean, it's totally realistic and has parallels to the modern world, which I like. But it definitely puts the nail in the head of the coffin that is Roddenberry's "evolved humanity" schtick.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
This may be true, but still, the idea that the entire population of the Federation would be cool with the idea with banning a form of sentient life, even if that idea is coming from a few bad actors at the top, is depressing.

I mean, it's totally realistic and has parallels to the modern world, which I like. But it definitely puts the nail in the head of the coffin that is Roddenberry's "evolved humanity" schtick.

Apart from Data have there been other forms of sentient synth life? Becase the Synths that attacked Mars were clearly not free which they would be in a utopian federation that classes Synths as sentient. They seemed to me to be as free as the old EMH1s were.

The idea that all prejudices would be evolved out of the masses becase we have replicators and space travel and stuff has always been daft. It's a lovely idea but it's always been questioned what really goes on behind the veil of the mighty Federation.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Saw episode 4 yesterday and loved it. My favorite one yet or at least as good as episode 1.

The first one to actually have some TNG vibes (thanks to now being in space and having a mission, of course).

I was especially a big fan of the space battle, how rich they made the refugees and that Romulan Warrior Nun clan, Elnor, and even Picard's admonishment of Elnor after that beheading.
Very good world building as well. Overall, good directing by Frakes.

Hope it only gets better.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Can't really say I've enjoyed this a whole lot so far

- I'm really tired of the Soji + Creepy Guy scenes and the Creepy Guy's Creepy Sister is annoying too
- Picard picking a fight at The Ol' Romulan Saloon is the stupidest thing I've ever seen
- Just give us the final crew lineup already, it's not interesting dragging this on and on at a rate of one crew member per episode
- The good-looking-bad-boy-pilot trope is pure anime trash
- Patrick's voice sounds frail and insubstantial in every scene and it makes me sad
- Making The Federation pro-genocide is Trumpian Deep State conspiracy theory plot-writing
- Wil Wheaton's forced dumbed-down-hyper-enthusiastic-guy post-show is absolute dreck
- It's a lot more interesting watching a group of highly trained officers exploring the galaxy than it is to watch an old man and a few of his asshole friends go after a robot

Oh well, still watching it.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The only thing I'm slightly worried about I guess is that I don't care about any of the Borg cube stuff or Soji and that should really be what everything else is leading towards. This definitely could be one of those shows where I enjoy the journey and everything else around it rather than the destination.

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have they even told us the name of the ship yet?
memory-alpha.fandom.com

SS La Sirena

SS La Sirena (NAR-93131), or simply Sirena, was an unregistered Kaplan F17 Speed Freighter owned and operated by Captain Cristóbal Rios during the late 24th century. Rios took ownership of La Sirena some time after his departure from Starfleet in 2390 or 2391. He initialized the ship's five...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm listening to the audiobook of the Picard novel, so it's kind of nice to see them spend a little time in the show, showing one of the refugee colonies, and referencing some things in the novel. If nothing else the novel - and this episode - brings into sharper relief how/why the Romulan evacuations were such a big deal.

Small thing - loved the little Data 'head tilt' that Soji did in response to Narek while walking through the corridors.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Also good gawd is that the most boring interior ship design in Star Trek or what ... how much of the show is going to take place there. I really dislike the whole JJ Abrams bright shiny lights + desolate industrial garage look.

Picard's ready room being an exactly duplicate of his study on Earth is the most laughable thing ever. It's just like they straight up went to the camera and were like, "we're saving money by reusing the same set."

Sorry, but OG Picard would not use an entire holodeck to recreate his exact office. Picard was a utilitarian man, he used what the ship gave him and never kept a lot of personal stuff in his ready room. And, even his personal quarters were pretty standard. He mostly just kept his flute, that one ancient sculpture, and some other personal stuff. He didn't seek to have a whole library complete with a roaring fireplace.

Who is this Picard?! Maybe other people would like to use that holodeck, asshole.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this will get better, but at the same time I can't help but feel I just want a "normal" Star Trek show that succeeds the TNG/Voyager time line and stops going back to the past eras (sorry Enterprise, sorry Discovery).

TNG is by far the most successful thing ST has ever done, not sure why they are continually stubbornly bent on never revisiting that successful formula.

Oct 26, 2017
Having a hologram help at the helm makes little sense to me as the hologram is ongoing process of the main computer. It'd be easier for the computer to do it without the added processing effort.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
because the TNG formula of constant reset is overdone and boring as fuck

You don't have to follow the "weekly reset" concept to a tee, you can update that aspect of it, but why they haven't really ever done a true "Next Next Generation" series is mind boggling considering TNG is by far the most successful ST series ever and one of the most popular shows of the 1990s period.

Instead it feels like they're hellbent on being "edgy" and becoming some version of Battlestar Galactica. Every ship looks like some damn warehouse with harsh JJ Abrams lighting dialed up to 11.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Having a hologram help at the helm makes little sense to me as the hologram is ongoing process of the main computer. It'd be easier for the computer to do it without the added processing effort.
given that a computer can do everything faster than any human it's stupid that anyone ever pilots their own ships, fires their own weapons or cycles their own shield frequencies. But it would be a bit boring.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

It could very well be that the emergency holograms on the ship have their own core computer instead of being part of the main computer. Basically a supplemental processor that can be used for all sorts of situations.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
TNG didn't have constant resets. There are several arcs throughout the series, they're just not capital S serialized drama format. What is up with people fake newsing the show and inaccurately assessing it for what it was.

I mean, speaking of overdone, I think we are in peak exhaustion of serialization as a compelling format these days. It's been over a decade of it being the dominant form and it's honestly a little boring now. For all the talk in recent years of a golden age of television it feels kind of stagnant. I'd really love to see some variety in how stories are told through longer form narratives and it's like we're stuck in serialization for the foreseeable future.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When are they going to tell us about Rios fucking all of the holograms that look like him?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Just wrapped up episode 4, and I kinda feel like the scene with Agnes and Rios is kind of a mission statement for some of the perspective that the series is working from.

Specifically, that while it may be a Star Trek show, this is not a Starfleet show.

Yes, half the cast are former officers, and much is made of the organisation's ideals. But that scene touches on the idea that, to everyone but Starfleet, where they're not going out and exploring every new star they come across, because that's their personal interest, space travel is just... long, and boring. These are not people who are okay with the idea of going on continuing missions to explore strange new worlds and the like. They have but one mission, chosen of their own accord. They're people who live in the Star Trek universe, but they're not Starfleet. That's why the ship'll be weird, and the dynamics between the cast non-standard. Because they're not Starfleet.

Meanwhile, though I did enjoy much of what we got to see on Vashti, am I alone in finding there was... kind of an odd, orientalist vibe to things? Like, it almost feels as though they're modelling the collapse of the Romulan Empire on various, early 20th century imperial collapses, including Imperial China and the Ottoman Empire. It's 'the frontier' not so much for being unexplored, but lawless, governed more by warlords and religious sects, peace maintained by 'rangers' stretched beyond their means.