• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Just watched the season finale, didn't like the series after ep3, downhill since then and the finale was garbage.

Literal magic device to fix things, create things....no even attempted explanation.

The whole plot.... Meh

Death is cured good stuff.

So the whole Borg plot was useless, easily could have the season done in three hours.

Uniform on data looked like cos play level fitting.

First star wars then this, I'm checked out.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It had a lot of problems and it created a Post nemesis story for Data that most of us did not need or desire but I do think how it ended was done well. It is something I could see Data easily wanting as a character in his pursuit of humanity.

Budget Wise is it obvious while CBS is betting big on Star Trek they are trying to cut budget at every corner they can. Not only was Every Federation ship the same they had like TOS/Disco era sheet metal grey hulls etc. They looked like Star trek Online era ships with TOS era textures etc.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything regarding soong's son in this finale made no sense. Like, everyone instantly forgives him that, on a whim, he decided to side with robots in the genocide of all organic lifeform? like, he was fully ready to ditch his organic body and become an android. The only reason he "turned" is because he realized the evil soji was evil? Like... duh?

But then picard dies, and this dude has been spending his entire life trying to build a golem to escape death... and he instantly gives it away to picard instead because....?

And the stuff about "We gave you a robot body, that's exactly as old as you used to be, that will die at the exact same time you'd have normally died from normal causes" is groan-worthy.

Why exactly where Soji and the others in space, on the borg cube, etc? Like, were they sent on a mission? Why? What did they accomplish? And what was the reason for the borg backdrop at all? That went no where, provided no closure or set up or really anything. They were just there.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did they imply a relationship between Seven and Raffi at the end there? I don't even recall the two exchanging more than two words.

It would be fitting though because I already found the relationship between Rios and Agnis super artificial

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Not the worst Trek first season, not the best, definitely rough in places. Eh, I didn't hate it but I really don't love it. I have a lot of the same problems most everyone else has had. With a clean slate I hope the next show runner can manage something that comes together a bit better. Wife really lost interest after Episode 6(?) when we learned every character we love has had some kind of horrible tragedy happen or just has a shit life in the gap between when we left them and now. Like Riker and Troy's kid we never knew. Can no one be happy? She'll still watch a Season 2 just for Picard though.

Oct 28, 2017
Did they imply a relationship between Seven and Raffi at the end there? I don't even recall the two exchanging more than two words.

It would be fitting though because I already found the relationship between Rios and Agnis super artificial

And they give Sevens screen time to have a scene with...Rios? I guess Raffi's scene actually adds to the development of both characters on screen. Raffi for getting her shit together and offering some maternal love to the child-like Elnor. Seven and Rios's confessions felt like everyone else was paired up already and they just had to check another box.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And they give Sevens screen time to have a scene with...Rios? I guess Raffi's scene actually adds to the development of both characters on screen. Raffi for getting her shit together and offering some maternal love to the child-like Elnor. Seven and Rios's confessions felt like everyone else was paired up already and they just had to check another box.

But Rios hooked up with Jurati...

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They really should've cut everything related to the Romulan conspiracy because by the Q did it go nowhere and accomplish nothing. They already had the Federation as antagonists (until the final ep where--oops--they've actually been on your side the entire time). Last and most importantly, Jurati said uber and I hate her for it; just jettison the entire La Sirena cast, losing Elnor and Raffi are acceptable collateral damage.

Everything about synths, Picard's struggles, and Data were great, but that's only 1/3 of the season. So much of it was wasted on things that didn't matter or went nowhere. I liked it overall but it could have been so, so much better.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
So much of this episode made no sense.

Why did the Federation lift the ban on synthetics? Plot or not, they still attacked Mars, andthe knowledge that a synthetic race exists ready to wipe out all organic life would probably make them more paranoid about synths, not less.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much of this episode made no sense.

Why did the Federation lift the ban on synthetics? Plot or not, they still attacked Mars, andthe knowledge that a synthetic race exists ready to wipe out all organic life would probably make them more paranoid about synths, not less.
I said weeks ago it'll all be blamed on Oh and Federation will act like did nothing wrong.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I'm undecided on this. On one hand, it does give Data a better sense of closure. On the other hand....what's he actually been doing? Has he been stuck in a simulation for ages doing nothing, with no way to contact anyone other than Soong and maybe the synths? If so, that's kind of sad.

Good questions. I would like to imagine that the passage of time for him would be different. Or if it somehow wasn't, that he would not mind/care at all.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Lore, huh? I'm so glad he was discussed in this Soong Android/Synth heavy storyline that also featured Borg.

Imagine not mentioning him.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
In my opinion, this show has the same problem as Discovery in that I don't really find myself caring about the new characters. They all seem shallow, even after ten episodes of development. Comparing it against the first ten episodes of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones reveals a Stark contrast, it's black and White.

Even compared against Deep Space Nine's first ten episodes, I felt like I understood Odo, Quark, Kira, and others way more than I do any of Picard's characters not named Picard and Seven.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So that the show gets to milk the melodrama out of a death scene and have it not mean anything immediately afterward.
What's weird is that they already killed Picard in a one off episode and that basically told us more about his character than his arc here.
It was all set up for the Data reunion, but I don't know why they wrote themselves into that corner to get him there.

Oct 25, 2017
That was great, last 15 mins or so were excellent, loved the talk with Picard and Data at the end. And Picard ending everything with a speech was perfect.

I don't get why some of you want Lore to be mentioned? For what? What could he possibly add to the show? He's evil and got shut off, end of story.

Anyways bring on Disco S3.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
*shrug* I liked it a lot. Overall I think the series was good, not great, but I think the finale was solid.

Mixed on the android body thing but it could've been handled a lot goofier. The final conversation with Data was really well done.

Was kinda hoping to see the Enterprise E at the end but oh well.

I'm with you. I'm reading comments here and wondering if I watched a different show.

The only real complaint is the "oh so edgy" use of "fuck", not because I have issues with swearing but because it is jarring. Like when a PG-13 film uses its one allowed instance of it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the finale, I really don't have any good words to say about the whole damn thing.

Also this show really has a hard time deciding what it wants to say.
Data: "Accepting death is what makes us human"
*brings back Picard after not accepting his death*

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the finale, I really don't have any good words to say about the whole damn thing.

Also this show really has a hard time deciding what it wants to say.

Data: "Accepting death is what makes us human"
*brings back Picard after not accepting his death*
Uh Picard had no say in being brought back but was concerned about being made immortal

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Uh Picard had no say in being brought back but was concerned about being made immortal

The writers did have that decision though. Also you always die of something, why is a brain issue the exception to the rule to bring him back? Jurati and the others were acting like he was a 20 year old cut down with cancer in the prime of his life.

Oct 25, 2017
The writers did have that decision though. Also you always die of something, why is a brain issue the exception to the rule to bring him back?
The people that loved him wanted him back and had a way to do it? (I'm sure Soong loved the chance to test out his golem) Should they have just let Picard die when he got stabbed in the heart? Should Q have let him die in Tapestry too?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The people that loved him wanted him back and had a way to do it? (I'm sure Soong loved the chance to test out his golem) Should they have just let Picard die when he got stabbed in the heart? Shouldn't Q have let him die in Tapestry too?

I mean if all you care about is fan service sure, robot Picard happy ending yay except it pretty much shits on the storytelling. You have this very poignant moment with Data talking about how human's are special due to their limited time, and their death. Then 5 seconds later the writers are like "Gotcha he's alive, fuck death". It really does a disservice to Data and his message.

Also bringing someone back to life in a new body without asking them beforehand is pretty fucking atrocious. Especially Picard since he seemed very much at ease and accepting of his death.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This show treats technology like magic. Pretty much anything can be done.

A fucking hand tool can do whatever you imagine.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Anyway, the entire time through the last couple of episodes I was constantly reminded of Mass Effect. When Soji literally summoned the Reapers, I lost it.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The fleet being a copy and paste ship was such a massive letdown.

Best part of the episode for me though was just seeing Riker smile as he watched Picard get through to Soji. Loved it.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone else annoyed that it said Jonathan Frakes as a Guest Star during the opening? I mean, you knew what was gonna happen for sure then. Sigh. Writing was on the wall anyway.