• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the latest episode, the camera work remains awful in Picard. Almost every shot is a Dutch angle or just moves way too much.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I do think this episode was the best yet. The TNG-style problem solving was pretty good. I don't find Picard's son interesting at all.

Sep 5, 2021
image.png

View: https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1634369715165437954

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Also the idea that newer Starship hoiodecks have it's own aux power supply for the crew to use the holodeck in moments where the ship is facing extreme peril and likely destruction is really fucked up and I like it.

Your ship is out of power, in the middle of knowhere, heavily damaged and most of the crew is dead so you and the survivors take to the holodeck to have what you little fun you can have before the it's all over.
It is strange but on real world it's common to have a place where people can express theirs faiths
so depending on the culture it would be understandable to have something similar on a Starship

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Episode 4. Best yet. Can't believe this show has done such a turnaround. There's not much I can find fault with in E4, and I can forgive the nitpicks.

Disco and Picard S1/2 are full of 'emotion' but it's just characters saying meaningless twaddle. In Picard S3 we have seriously conflicted characters, with excellent dialogue. The emotion is there and it's great, but it actually has substance (like SNW did).

Love Captain Shaw too.

Watching the latest episode, the camera work remains awful in Picard. Almost every shot is a Dutch angle or just moves way too much.

I really dislike Frakes' direction at points. He loves to waggle the camera way too much. There's an episode he directed in Discovery (S2 I think?) where the camera circles around a table of characters agreeing the plan of action. And it keeps going. And it goes on. And I almost got motion sick.

Nov 27, 2020
gizmodo.com

Star Trek: Picard Almost Brought Back a Different Classic Villain

Season 3 of the Star Trek show has revealed its big bad comes from the franchise's past–but they weren't always the potential candidates.
While I see his point, if I remember correctly, the bug aliens that took hosts died once the "Queen" was destroyed. So there is a narrative out, if one of your main characters gets taken over.

That said, you really couldn't do a scene like in this last episode, with Sydney and Seven. So in terms of having tension and unease about who's who, the Changelings are the better choice there.

Personally I have found Jeri's acting as Seven, and the writing, really interesting and well-done. Seven is still pretty damn ruthless in achieving a goal and extremely focused. She is also quite blunt in a way that echoes her personality after having just been de-converted.

But it has seemed clear from season 1 that she is trying to find out who she actually is which as others have said, builds off the last season of Voyager. Her going off and joining the rangers was pretty clever as a way of demonstrating her having no patience with being put into a box by others. (And to me reads as meta commentary on the rather crappy and objectified reason Seven as a character was originally created on Voyager, and dressed in spandex.)

Her story through this series has provided a really interesting continuation of threads from Voyager that I wouldn't have thought about picking up.

CapMaster

Banned
Mar 4, 2023
I just can't get on board with the idea that Dr Crusher had another baby at like, 55 years old, after raising one son into adulthood already, and didn't tell the 60 year old father about it.

There just isn't an explanation for this I will accept as a possibility.

Nov 27, 2020
I just can't get on board with the idea that Dr Crusher had another baby at like, 55 years old, after raising one son into adulthood already, and didn't tell the 60 year old father about it.

There are women who get pregnant and give birth now at that age or even older. In the 24th century of Trek, where humans live well into their 100s (like the 140 year old McCoy), is it that far-fetched?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
There are women who get pregnant and give birth now at that age or even older. In the 24th century of Trek, where humans live well into their 100s (like the 140 year old McCoy), is it that far-fetched?
Same with the whole "not telling the father" angle.
gizmodo.com

Star Trek: Picard Almost Brought Back a Different Classic Villain

Season 3 of the Star Trek show has revealed its big bad comes from the franchise's past–but they weren't always the potential candidates.
Sounds pretty certain like Starfleet has been infiltrated and heavily compromised. Perfect reason to break out the literal museum pieces!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I read it wrong but I don't think the criticism was that Beverly shouldn't physically be able to get pregnant but that she was too mature and knew Picard too well to hide the baby from him. At that point she had served with him on two Enterprises for almost 20 years, they had a very close relationship, they trusted each other and suddenly she feels the need to get away from him and starfleet? I don't get that either.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The conspiracy aliens have always been something I've wanted to see following up on but The Dominion are the best Trek villains for me because they aren't OP as fuck and they haven't been jobbers (which the Borg have been).

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I did think it was funny that Beverly was like: "I wanted to tell you after I found out I was pregnant. Then you got attacked. Then a bomb went off at your conference. Then the old ones invaded, and I felt I should just stay the fuck away from you."

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
You know what? Fuck it. Paramount, throw all the money at Terry to do both a Picard S4/Titan-Shaw handoff into a new show. With Discovery going bye bye I want a new show, and I'll take someone at the helm who gets classic Trek.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'd watch a Shaw show tbh. He's been awfully present for a side captain character. Usually those go into the background and disappear.

Well human lifespan is different in Trek, they maintain their peak longer too so it's not just like they live longer. No out of realm of possibility that women there can have kids 10-15 years later than women can on average in our world. And that's just the average, we actually have women giving birth who are older than that already

Oct 25, 2017
I did think it was funny that Beverly was like: "I wanted to tell you after I found out I was pregnant. Then you got attacked. Then a bomb went off at your conference. Then the old ones invaded, and I felt I should just stay the fuck away from you."

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." - Raylan Givens.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I felt a gut punch when Picard just casually asked Jack "well tell me why you didn't want to know me?"

And then they fucking sucker punched me with Riker talking to Troi about the beauty of the universe as I was literally watching my own children play.

Being a parent makes me such a fucking sap sometimes

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I'd watch a Shaw show tbh. He's been awfully present for a side captain character. Usually those go into the background and disappear.

Well human lifespan is different in Trek, they maintain their peak longer too so it's not just like they live longer. No out of realm of possibility that women there can have kids 10-15 years later than women can on average in our world. And that's just the average, we actually have women giving birth who are older than that already

Regarding this, am I just hallucinating or was TNG Picard in his 80's while running the Enterprise-D?

Nov 27, 2020
I felt a gut punch when Picard just casually asked Jack "well tell me why you didn't want to know me?"

And then they fucking sucker punched me with Riker talking to Troi about the beauty of the universe as I was literally watching my own children play.

Being a parent makes me such a fucking sap sometimes
The real gut punch was at the end, when we, and Picard, realize exactly why Jack didn't want to know him.

Regarding this, am I just hallucinating or was TNG Picard in his 80's while running the Enterprise-D?
I think he was in his early 60s. Picard has always been 10-15 years older than Stewart.

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
You know what? Fuck it. Paramount, throw all the money at Terry to do both a Picard S4/Titan-Shaw handoff into a new show. With Discovery going bye bye I want a new show, and I'll take someone at the helm who gets classic Trek.

Have it be a 12 monkeys reunion. Seems james callis was already cast in the show but get him in too.

Jul 10, 2020

The Insurrection planet made her fertile again

I was just going to say that the Baku Fountain of Youth planet probably reset the biological clocks on both Beverly and Troi by a good decade or so considering how old Troi was when she had both her kids.

So 24th Century tech + Fountain of Youth planet = Fertile Beverly.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I was just going to say that the Baku Fountain of Youth planet probably reset the biological clocks on both Beverly and Troi by a good decade or so considering how old Troi was when she had both her kids.

So 24th Century tech + Fountain of Youth planet = Fertile Beverly.
In the future, the mysterious technology known as the condom has been lost to time. lol

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a Next Next Generation written by this team, maybe aboard the Enterprise-G since the Enterprise-F is about to be decommissioned. Give them an all-new cast to work with.

In the future, the mysterious technology known as the condom has been lost to time. lol

When Kasidy Yates got pregnant and broke the news to Sisko, they said something about him accidentally forgetting to take his shot or infusion or something. Maybe it was that.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
When Kasidy Yates got pregnant and broke the news to Sisko, they said something about him accidentally forgetting to take his shot or infusion or something. Maybe it was that.
Oh jeez, I totally forgot that plot point. I like how the beta canon had three different versions of who the child could be.
It still seems irresponsible for someone in their 80s or whatever, but what do I know. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure any kind of plan B or whatever is easy to get from like a replicator or some hypo spray, don't really gotta worry too much about birth control or something. Especially with Beverly being a Dr.

Aug 31, 2019
Random observation, the "five years later", "present day", etc. tags are totally unnecessary...it's extremely obvious when the show changes time periods.
I also found that kind of silly, though TV shows make silly decisions about stuff like that pretty frequently. I'm guessing this is an element that gets very audience tested against. I also notice it often with location tags being super paranoid about Americans being ignorant of anything outside their borders. So you will just get "Los Angeles" as the location tag, because everyone knows where that is, but you'll get "Mexico City, Mexico", you know, just to be sure.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The ending showing Jack and Picard's history was one of the very few moments of the season that have landed with me so far. I felt Jack's disappointment and hurt in that moment.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Such a shame that the first 2 seasons of Picard couldn't have been this good too.

Not saying this season couldn't fumble things by the end, but these first 4 episodes have been some of the best Trek I've seen in a long time. It really feels like a TNG movie, and even more unbelievable, a GOOD TNG movie.

For me it really helps having more of the TNG crew together again. Picard on his own (or with a totally new group of people) just isn't anywhere near as compelling as the original crews dynamics.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
The episode title for the last five episodes have been released:
6 Bounty
7 Dominion
8 Surrender
9 Vox
10 The Last Generation

The description for 5 "Imposters" has also been released

"Caught by Starfleet and facing court martial, paranoia grows as Picard struggles to uncover whether a prodigal crewman from his past has returned as an ally or an enemy hellbent on destroying them all."

Spoiler for who the Crewman is
It's Ro Laren

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
6 Bounty
7 Dominion
8 Surrender
9 Vox
10 The Last Generation

"Caught by Starfleet and facing court martial, paranoia grows as Picard struggles to uncover whether a prodigal crewman from his past has returned as an ally or an enemy hellbent on destroying them all."

It's Ro Laren
I feel bad because I am slightly marking out at that spoiler. I guess I have no shame. lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
6 Bounty
7 Dominion
8 Surrender
9 Vox
10 The Last Generation

It's Ro Laren
Holy shit.

Also "Dominion" is probably going to be a misdirect in some way?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to click that spoiler. I want to be surprised at which not-DS9 character they're bringing back for a changeling story.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
6 Bounty
7 Dominion
8 Surrender
9 Vox
10 The Last Generation

It's Ro Laren
Oh fuck we getting some maquis action this season too? I'm so here for wrapping up all these 24th century story arcs. I'm still hoping we see any of the DS9 cast besides Worf obviously

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck we getting some maquis action this season too? I'm so here for wrapping up all these 24th century story arcs. I'm still hoping we see any of the DS9 cast besides Worf obviously
My original thought regarding the villains was the
maquis. Maybe the rogue elements of the changelings have teamed up with the maquis/using them. Maybe the changelings are arming what is left of the maquis to do their dirty work for them.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What if O'Brien decides the academy is too much and goes back to being a transporter chief?

Honestly a funny DS9 reference would be Molly showing up. :p

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
What if O'Brien decides the academy is too much and goes back to being a transporter chief?

Honestly a funny DS9 reference would be Molly showing up. :p
I don't know how much of the central cast they could get back now. I think the only people from the main cast would be Bashir and Miles. I would love Garak tone back, but I feel like the makeup might be a big ask but I think it would be cool to see him interact with Picard after what he had to go through in Chain of Command Part 2.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much of the central cast they could get back now. I think the only people from the main cast would be Bashir and Miles. I would love Garak tone back, but I feel like the makeup might be a big ask but I think it would be cool to see him interact with Picard after what he had to go through in Chain of Command Part 2.
I think someone mentioned that Andrew Robinson retired from acting, so he's probably the one person they couldn't get sadly.

Molly would be so easy because she's also a TNG character. Although maybe having Chao show up would be hilarious too. Just to annoy Dr. Forester. lol