• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
so I did a few minutes of Googling on that Midnight's Edge channel, and it's clearly just a mix of highly editorialized, unsourced rumor and speculation, stated as fact by someone with a massive hateboner for everything Paramount and CBS have done with the franchise over the past decade. After reading this article, I don't see any reason to treat it as credible in the slightest.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really hope does not carry over from Discovery is the camera work and editing. Way overly action focused, with liberal usage rapid jump cuts and moving cameras in close ups, particularly in scenes that don't remotely call for it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Worth it for him to recount the time he had to rescue an all-woman away team, but they're all naked because their uniforms had rotted off.

But by then it was too late, because he had seen everything.

Excited for this show. I haven't watched the latest season of Discovery, but it's awesome to see Star Trek getting more content, and Picard and Stewart are always a joy to see in anything.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
You are. It is literally a follow up to the events of the portion of 09's backstory where Romulus got supernova'd.

I think I'm getting confused by the issue of timelines vs the (supposed) whole copyright/licensing thing.

So on the timeline side, I guess there's the prime timeline - which on the face of it is supposed to be ToS-Enterprise+Disco+Picard, and Kelvin timeline, which is the movies.

And then on the copyright side, there's (apparently), TOS-Enterprise in one 'universe' and Disco/Picard/JJ movies in another.

And the copyright issue is that for anything designed under the new license, for anything that they want to monetise in merch etc. it has to be to some degree visually different from the 'original' designs that were created under the original copyright (?) This bit seems speculated upon rather than official though. And it seems some fans are taking the alleged copyright split to justify a position that new Trek isn't 'real Trek' (which is unfortunate).

That aside, though, if the copyright thing is true, that does seem relevant for the extent to which visual design can follow from the old shows. However, seeing these first pics from Picard, I'm a bit reassured... the uniforms, while different, still seem like they could have come out of a natural evolution of the TNG/DS9/VOY designs.

(Those comm badges seem huge though :o)

edit - re. Midnight's Edge, their speculation seemed to make sense of some things, but if they've just got an axe to grind I'll be more careful about taking them too seriously.

Last edited:

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's set in the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, as far as I'm aware. Romulus was destroyed in the Prime universe, and Nero/Spock were dragged back in time because of it. At this point, Nero begins his campaign of revenge and the timeline splits.

This is the aftermath of the Romulus event in the Prime universe, not the J.J.-verse.
Would be cool to somehow see Nero in this, maybe as a more interesting character though lol

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
If they can showcase B4 having Data's entire memory and 'conscious' and not ruin any other mainline TNG character then perhaps this series will be worth it for that alone!

The uniforms look alright in the picture - I hope they respect a lot of the art and design whilst giving it an even more futuristic twist in this series.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm getting confused by the issue of timelines vs the whole copyright/licensing thing.

So on the timeline side, I guess there's the prime timeline - which on the face of it is supposed to be ToS-Enterprise+Disco+Picard, and Kelvin timeline, which is the movies.

And then on the copyright side, there's (apparently), TOS-Enterprise in one 'universe' and Disco/Picard/JJ movies in another.

And the copyright issue is that for anything designed under the new license, for anything that they want to monetise in merch etc. it has to be to some degree visually different from the 'original' designs that were created under the original copyright (?)

And I guess some fans are taking the copyright split to justify a position that new Trek isn't 'real Trek' (which is unfortunate).

That aside, though, those issues do seem relevant for the extent to which visual design can follow from the old shows. However, seeing these first pics from Picard, I'm a bit reassured... the uniforms, while different, still seem like they could have come out of a natural evolution of the TNG/DS9/VOY designs.

(Those comm badges seem huge though :o)

The copyright issue is a mess - basically it's split between CBS and Paramount due to a history of joint ownership and then separation (here's a memory alpha article) - though figuring it out isn't helped by the downright scores of channels who are pretty much dedicated to trying to paint the current situation as some supposedly untenable nightmare that is inevitably going to kill the franchise.
The big thing is that, ostensibly, Paramount's side of things concerns its own attempts to remix the TOS aesthetic for the Abrams movies. The TNG-DS9-VOY era is completely irrelevant in that discussion and so they can do whatever.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The copyright issue is a mess - basically it's split between CBS and Paramount due to a history of joint ownership and then separation (here's a memory alpha article) - though figuring it out isn't helped by the downright scores of channels who are pretty much dedicated to trying to paint the current situation as some supposedly untenable nightmare that is inevitably going to kill the franchise.
The big thing is that, ostensibly, Paramount's side of things concerns its own attempts to remix the TOS aesthetic for the Abrams movies. The TNG-DS9-VOY era is completely irrelevant in that discussion and so they can do whatever.

Is there any actual evidence that the current Trek shows aren't legally allowed to use the designs from pre-Abrams Trek, as some portions of fandom claim? I can't see why that would legally be the case, since CBS owns the previous series and the Star Trek IP itself, even if Paramount has the film rights.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
so I did a few minutes of Googling on that Midnight's Edge channel, and it's clearly just a mix of highly editorialized, unsourced rumor and speculation, stated as fact by someone with a massive hateboner for everything Paramount and CBS have done with the franchise over the past decade. After reading this article, I don't see any reason to treat it as credible in the slightest.

It's not credible at all. During the run-up to Discovery, I listened to it because they compiled all of the rumors and reports of the chaos going on during pre-production, which is always interesting to hear. Everyone likes good gossip. But once Discovery aired and it wasn't that bad, they couldn't stop slagging it. It became pretty clear that they weren't fair-minded and just had an axe to grind.

It wasn't until they went all-in on Kathleen Kennedy that they dropped the pretense and told everyone who they were and what they were about. If they had done a video going into the directors getting fired from movies, extensive reshoots, and the like, and used it as a springboard into a discussion about poor choices and how to deal with them, that would've been one thing. But they chose the dark path and started slinging around terms like "SJW" and essentially accused Kennedy of leading a radical feminist insurgency to destroy Star Wars from within.

After that, there's no reason they should be given any benefit of the doubt or even tolerated as a source.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any actual evidence that the current Trek shows aren't legally allowed to use the designs from pre-Abrams Trek, as some portions of fandom claim? I can't see why that would legally be the case, since CBS owns the previous series and the Star Trek IP itself, even if Paramount has the film rights.

Emphasis 'ostensibly'. The problem is it's the exact sort of behind the scenes shit that would not generally be commented on publicly if it were true, so (they think) they can just parrot it on as truth.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even see the badges clear enough to decide whether or not they resemble the possible AGT future badges.
But they do look large I guess.

Now having seen them front the front I can say more confidently...yeah that's boring. I expected them to have more fun with the design after the time jump. Still hoping this is a cadet uniform.

Considering they literally used footage from TOS in a recent Discovery episode, including the TOS enterprise, those theories are sounding more full of shit than ever.

It's all just people with agendas to stir up shit.

Last edited:

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
It's not credible at all. During the run-up to Discovery, I listened to it because they compiled all of the rumors and reports of the chaos going on during pre-production, which is always interesting to hear. Everyone likes good gossip. But once Discovery aired and it wasn't that bad, they couldn't stop slagging it. It became pretty clear that they weren't fair-minded and just had an axe to grind.

It wasn't until they went all-in on Kathleen Kennedy that they dropped the pretense and told everyone who they were and what they were about. If they had done a video going into the directors getting fired from movies, extensive reshoots, and the like, and used it as a springboard into a discussion about poor choices and how to deal with them, that would've been one thing. But they chose the dark path and started slinging around terms like "SJW" and essentially accused Kennedy of leading a radical feminist insurgency to destroy Star Wars from within.

After that, there's no reason they should be given any benefit of the doubt or even tolerated as a source.
They also have several videos in their likes about the "real" feminist agenda behind Captain Marvel and how Disney is manipulating online reactions to Captain Marvel make themselves look good, so yeah, they're not at all a good source. Though it is funny how the reaction to Captain Marvel is also a good litmus test onto where the particular publication falls.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny... I have sort of.. strange feelings looking at these first pics.

TNG has always been this timeless, ageless escape for me. My absolute comfort TV show. I can always go there, and it's always comfortingly familiar and the same.

And now, seeing Picard at a more advanced stage... that time capsule is broken open. It feels strange. Exciting, but sort of unexpectedly it feels a little strange also.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Also can we just appreciate that the late 24th century apparently saw the population of the Federation rediscover a sense of goddamn fashion?

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Also can we just appreciate that the late 24th century apparently saw the population of the Federation rediscover a sense of goddamn fashion?
What, you didn't like Jake Sisko as a bus seat?
trekfashion2.jpg

ho0hu3n.png

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least the cut of the top part of the uniform looks TNG-y.

Watching this video, it seems like things have been a bit bumpy behind the scenes. And I'm worried about the timeline change... it's disappointing the visual design might have to take a larger departure. That said, it seems this video was wrong about 'not a single frame of an actor in costume' being filmed yet.

midnight edge is the alex jones of the trek fandom, all BS no truth so please don't promote his garbage

edit - am I wrong in thinking this is not part of the original TNG/original canon timeline?

picard.gif

yeah you are

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
midnight edge is the alex jones of the trek fandom, all BS no truth so please don't promote his garbage

picard.gif

yeah you are

Thanks for your post - our discussion continued, if you followed it. I understand now, as I already posted, that that channel has an axe to grind, and I won't be using it for info on the new series again.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I never pictured Picard as someone who would care if somebody didn't recognize him. Didn't think he'd have that kind of ego.
Still super excited for this series though, can't wait to see where we find Picard after allt his time. I just hope they don't completely ignore everybody from TNG. One would think Picard would be close with at least some of them.

Nah, Picard has always had a massive ego he just pretends not to care. But, Picard cares a lot about his image. We talking about the same dude that was taunting Nausicaans at the Dom Jot table and proceeded to laugh when they stabbed him. Picard is still that dude, just more "professional" about it.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How many nacelles will the enterprise have now?
47?
Riker's future Enterprise D (refit) had three, but the D exploded in ST: Generations, so I guess that timeline was altered.

If it does appear on screen I doubt it'll be the Enterprise E from the later TNG movies because that might encroach on Paramount's IP.

... So maybe enterprise F?

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Riker's future Enterprise D (refit) had three, but the D exploded in ST: Generations, so I guess that timeline was altered.

If it does appear on screen I doubt it'll be the Enterprise E from the later TNG movies because that might encroach on Paramount's IP.

i've got three different methods for resurrecting the Enterprise D

four if you include alternate dimensions

five if you include time travel

honestly the film/series IP stuff has become impossible to follow 'cause of all the dickhead youtubers, but i'm sure they could work out a way to use the E if they wanted to. i mean, this series explicitly deals with events from the 2009 movie.

but still, Enterprise D tho

UA2bTlV.gif

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Given Kurtzman's involvement and the apparent use of the Countdown uniform, if it was the Enterprise it would almost certainly be the E as commanded by Captain Data.

That said I expect it to largely just be referenced, rather than actually appear.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I love the D (haha)

But from certain angles and lighting conditions I prefer the E...
eb1e20dbd21d88f56b0a1bc4eac39430.gif
i've never really liked it tbh. partly 'cause i'm bitter they didn't give the D the send off it deserved to make room for it, and partly just 'cause the whole 'it's sharper and darker' thing just ain't for me, really, particularly in the context of trek.

Still the GOAT Enterprise
i love it more than is strictly reasonable

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The Enterprise-E looks like it's perpetually in the wrong aspect ratio as everything else. It looks stretched.

Also, the Enterprise-E gets some residual salt from me because of how stupidly the Enterprise-D got destroyed

There is an Enterprise-F in the Star Trek Online canon so maybe that's what we'd get

latest

Sparse

Oct 27, 2017
There is an Enterprise-F in the Star Trek Online canon so maybe that's what we'd get

latest
Gimme dat live action Odyssey class.

As much as I like the E, we saw enough of it in the movies. I wouldn't mind them referencing the Galaxy class in historical terms, but I wouldn't be surprised if one showed up. Maybe the USS Challenger is still lurking about.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
This is one thing I agreed with RedLetterMedia on when they were talking about ideas for the Picard series. If Star Wars fans can have the Millenium Falcon back can we please have the Galaxy Class back?

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I really hope they just drop the whole Star Trek Online canon thing. It just feels like the game community were being thrown a bone at s time when it didn't matter and now we are getting Star Trek back on track they don't need that extra baggage.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
UA2bTlV.gif

Loved it as a kid. Now I see that super flat saucer section and can't help but think that those angles on the windows never made sense.
Was there ever any interiors shown where you actually had those super flat angled windows that the saucer section seems to dictate everywhere? Especially on the underside? I mean it basically would have to be super elongated glass floors or suspended floors no?
Or are those light streaks not meant to be windows?
entd-110.jpg

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I really hope they just drop the whole Star Trek Online canon thing. It just feels like the game community were being thrown a bone at s time when it didn't matter and now we are getting Star Trek back on track they don't need that extra baggage.

I don't think they're going to outright de-canonize it if they don't need to.

Also Star Trek Online can retcon shit pretty easily.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
UA2bTlV.gif

Loved it as a kid. Now I see that super flat saucer section and can't help but think that those angles on the windows never made sense.
Was there ever any interiors shown where you actually had those super flat angled windows that the saucer section seems to dictate everywhere? Especially on the underside? I mean it basically would have to be super elongated glass floors or suspended floors no?
Or are those light streaks not meant to be windows?
entd-110.jpg
Ten forward was on the underside of the saucer technically

The_Emerald_Isle.jpg

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're going to outright de-canonize it if they don't need to.

Also Star Trek Online can retcon shit pretty easily.

Honestly it's going to be curious going forward. STO has tried to integrate with current content as best it can since Discovery started airing, but outside of the Miral Paris storyline - which concerned how the klingons got their ridges back -stuff from the show didn't exactly directly impact it. Picard takes place in the ostensibe road to 2409, seemingly concerning one of its key events - the dissolution of the Romulan Star Empire. And like, if it's a one and done prestige series, that's not too hard to retcon around. Just bump most things back a year or two. But if it proves a longer series, with chunks of plot left unresolved for long stretches of time? The odds of STO being fully degraded to alternate timeline/universe bump significantly.