• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I think the name is perfect. The name tells you exactly what this series is about (Picard) and is very straightforward.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Picard is probably the greatest fictional character ever created.

If you're ever in a situation where you don't know what to do. Just think, what would Picard do?

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
The real answer is not to care about lore like that, as the show has aspects of both. Don't think too hard and enjoy the ride.

What do you mean? That the creators don't care much for continuity? There's no reason to believe that. And what do you mean by "aspects of both"? That they acknowledge the fact that Romulus got destroyed? That doesn't change anything, since that DID happen in the primeverse.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
What do you mean? That the creators don't care much for continuity? There's no reason to believe that. And what do you mean by "aspects of both"? That they acknowledge the fact that Romulus got destroyed? That doesn't change anything, since that DID happen in the primeverse.

I mean fans shouldn't be too concerned about it. I was speaking on Discovery's aesthetics which mirrors Abrams while the optimism and themes comes from traditional Trek.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

I never pictured Picard as someone who would care if somebody didn't recognize him. Didn't think he'd have that kind of ego.
Still super excited for this series though, can't wait to see where we find Picard after allt his time. I just hope they don't completely ignore everybody from TNG. One would think Picard would be close with at least some of them.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

I was so bummed when I found out--used to love that song.

I never pictured Picard as someone who would care if somebody didn't recognize him. Didn't think he'd have that kind of ego.
Still super excited for this series though, can't wait to see where we find Picard after allt his time. I just hope they don't completely ignore everybody from TNG. One would think Picard would be close with at least some of them.
Yeah, same. For what it's worth, I suspect his reaction is probably more along the lines of simple surprise than irritation--if only 'cause it'd fit the character much better. And yeah, I definitely wanna see some of the old crew again. Michael Dorn's wanted to come back as Worf for years and years.

(Also I def. want Dr Crusher in there somewhere. Gates McFadden did a lot with, well, not a huge amount of great material for her character, and Crusher and Picard always played off one-another well, romantically or no. Plus, it'd be nice to spite Red Letter Media, since they wanted to fridge her.)

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017

Depending of where they go with it the seeds may have been planted in TNG:

Look how horrified he is, having to potentially live out this life as a dreary man with a tedious job. He is an officer on the Starfleet flagship and the first officer just told him that he is doing a good job and that they don't want to lose him. Yet he is downright panicking, essentially begging Q to restore his former life. He strikes me as a man who despises being a "nobody" and who after several rough decades could indeed react that way to someone working in what are presumabley Starfleet Headquarters not knowing who he is.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Fucking hyped.

giphy.gif

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
When does it air so that I can set an alarm for all the crying about it.

Can't wait for the show, nor S31 or Star Trek: Pike

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I was so bummed when I found out--used to love that song.

Yeah, same. For what it's worth, I suspect his reaction is probably more along the lines of simple surprise than irritation--if only 'cause it'd fit the character much better. And yeah, I definitely wanna see some of the old crew again. Michael Dorn's wanted to come back as Worf for years and years.

(Also I def. want Dr Crusher in there somewhere. Gates McFadden did a lot with, well, not a huge amount of great material for her character, and Crusher and Picard always played off one-another well, romantically or no. Plus, it'd be nice to spite Red Letter Media, since they wanted to fridge her.)
Yeah his stuff is amazing, makes me sad he is a total cunt

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned in the franchise thread, it could be that the new uniform is a canonisation of the uniform worn in the Star Trek Countdown comic which explains Nero's backstory:
star-trek-countdown-captain-data.jpg

Online has something similar called the 'Sierra' Uniform:
sierra1.jpg

Given the potato pic especially, this does seem... plausible

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Super excited for this. Hoping for a few cameo's of the TNG cast.

The intro should totally be a rearranged TNG track along with some cool animations of the ships Picard commanded (Stargazer, Enterprise-D and E)

Did they mention when the first episode will drop yet?

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the premise of the show is basically what happened in the first JJ Abrams Star Trek and how the non-existance of the Romulan Empire changed course of life for Picard?

Right, the destruction of Romulus happened in the Prime Timeline.

(For the record, I'm of the opinion that trying to keep track of continuity in Trek is basically pointless as it's been hopelessly broken since TOS - and, like, I do mean since TOS; TOS contradicted itself constantly, to say nothing of the later shows or movies - but the whole Kelvin Timeline/Prime Timeline thing's relatively easy to keep straight. In the Prime Timeline, Vulcan still exists as of the late 24th century, but Romulus gets destroyed by some kind of super-duper-nova. In the Kelvin Timeline, Vulcan was destroyed in the mid 23rd century, and the jury's still out on Romulus, tho they do have quite a bit more warning that the super-duper-nova could become a problem than they did in the Prime Timeline.)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the premise of the show is basically what happened in the first JJ Abrams Star Trek and how the non-existance of the Romulan Empire changed course of life for Picard?

Prime universe: Supernova destroyed Romulus
Supernova sent Spock and Nero back in time creating the Kelvin timeline
Prime universe: Picard deals with the fallout of Romulus being destroyed.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's set in the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, as far as I'm aware. Romulus was destroyed in the Prime universe, and Nero/Spock were dragged back in time because of it. At this point, Nero begins his campaign of revenge and the timeline splits.

This is the aftermath of the Romulus event in the Prime universe, not the J.J.-verse.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Right, the destruction of Romulus happened in the Prime Timeline.

(For the record, I'm of the opinion that trying to keep track of continuity in Trek is basically pointless as it's been hopelessly broken since TOS - and, like, I do mean since TOS; TOS contradicted itself constantly, to say nothing of the later shows or movies - but the whole Kelvin Timeline/Prime Timeline thing's relatively easy to keep straight. In the Prime Timeline, Vulcan still exists as of the late 24th century, but Romulus gets destroyed by some kind of super-duper-nova. In the Kelvin Timeline, Vulcan was destroyed in the mid 23rd century, and the jury's still out on Romulus, tho they do have quite a bit more warning that the super-duper-nova could become a problem than they did in the Prime Timeline.)
Prime universe: Supernova destroyed Romulus
Supernova sent Spock and Nero back in time creating the Kelvin timeline
Prime universe: Picard deals with the fallout of Romulus being destroyed.
No, it's set in the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, as far as I'm aware. Romulus was destroyed in the Prime universe, and Nero/Spock were dragged back in time because of it. At this point, Nero begins his campaign of revenge and the timeline splits.

This is the aftermath of the Romulus event in the Prime universe, not the J.J.-verse.
Ok, now I understand. Thanks!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
At least the cut of the top part of the uniform looks TNG-y.

Watching this video, it seems like things have been a bit bumpy behind the scenes. And I'm worried about the timeline change... it's disappointing the visual design might have to take a larger departure. That said, it seems this video was wrong about 'not a single frame of an actor in costume' being filmed yet.

edit - am I wrong in thinking this is not part of the original TNG/original canon timeline?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Watching this video, it seems like things have been a bit bumpy behind the scenes. And I'm worried about the timeline change... it's disappointing the visual design might have to take a larger departure. That said, it seems this video was wrong about 'not a single frame of an actor in costume' being filmed yet.

edit - am I wrong in thinking this is not part of the original TNG/original canon timeline?

You are. It is literally a follow up to the events of the portion of 09's backstory where Romulus got supernova'd.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd better not Luke-ify Picard, I don't like depressing realistic stuff in my fantasy worlds. Give me some optimism, that's what star trek is supposed to be. Hope this show doesn't break down picard and go the predictable route.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

I vaguely recall hearing of this channel before. Is there any reason to treat it as credible?

edit: a few minutes in and this feels like wishful thinking from the segment of ST fandom that really, really hates Discovery, idk

Last edited: