• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I am still worried that they'll pull a TLJ and assassinate the Picard character.

TLJ comment aside, the TNG movies (except for possibly Generations) kind of did that already, especially First Contact (which I know a lot of people like, but boy howdy did they retcon a whole lot of characterization for him in that movie).

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Looks promising. Liking the tone they're going for.

I don't know what incident the narrator's talking about though. Maybe it will be introduced in the show? Couldn't help it but think of Into Darkness when she says "you lead us out of darkness". Wonder if that means anything.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I am still worried that they'll pull a TLJ and assassinate the Picard character.
Always hard to tell if people are being serious when they say this.

Characters change, especially over a long period of time. Anyone expecting Picard to be as he was when we last saw him, when they explicitly said he is a different person after 20 years, should only be angry at themselves for ignoring what is being told to them. It's the same with TLJ and Luke. Anyone seriously expecting Return of the Jedi Luke in that film or expecting what they thought up in their head to appear should only be mad at themselves. There are things to take issue with in TLJ, Luke was and should not be one of them.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
There's not much here besides a declaration of intent (we finally know what the premise is), but I like what's there. If the theory that the "rescue" is the evacuation of Romulus/Remus is true, and that fallout from that evacuation is the reason for his resignation, then it sounds like we're right back into the heart of the ethical/moral dilemmas that everyone remembers TNG so fondly for.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Always hard to tell if people are being serious when they say this.

Characters change, especially over a long period of time. Anyone expecting Picard to be as he was when we last saw him, when they explicitly said he is a different person after 20 years, should only be angry at themselves for ignoring what is being told to them. It's the same with TLJ and Luke. Anyone seriously expecting Return of the Jedi Luke in that film or expecting what they thought up in their head to appear should only be mad at themselves. There are things to take issue with in TLJ, Luke was and should not be one of them.
Dude, Luke went from risking his life to save his dad to contemplating the murder of his nephew in his sleep. The writing did not justify that for a lot of people, thirty years or not.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't want to see Picard as a bitter old man. TNG ended on a beautiful and optimistic note and it would be nice to imagine that he lived a happy and peaceful life after his career.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
If he ever plays that flute in this...

:'(
That's hands down the best TNG episode.

Also, I didn't realise Patrick Stewart is 78. You don't see people his age playing central characters often. This could be an interesting reflection of one's life and examination of old age if done right.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't want to see Picard as a bitter old man. TNG ended on a beautiful and optimistic note and it would be nice to imagine that he lived a happy and peaceful life after his career.

Listen, you know damn well this is what you're getting. Picard will come out of retirement as a bitter, old man. But, still the same man of principles. He'll then teach everyone what it means to be Starfleet while they teach him not to be a bitter old man.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
There's no show without some sort of conflict, whether internal or external. I imagine he'll be shown as content and happy but regretful, which is natural for anyone in his position I think.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
There's not much here besides a declaration of intent (we finally know what the premise is), but I like what's there. If the theory that the "rescue" is the evacuation of Romulus/Remus is true, and that fallout from that evacuation is the reason for his resignation, then it sounds like we're right back into the heart of the ethical/moral dilemmas that everyone remembers TNG so fondly for.

Would be pretty relevant to current affairs if trying to aid a bunch of refugees had caused a bit of an ideological split...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A shot of Old Geordi meeting him in the wine field would probably get thousands of subscriptions on its own.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Picard left Star Fleet because Wesley Crusher used his generational mind to engineer a bio weapon against changelings killing millions in the Gamma Quadrant. Picard feeling guilty for the upbringing of an evil man child retired retired quietly, he isolated himself at his vineyard in an attempt to lose himself in his beloved hobby.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
There's no show without some sort of conflict, whether internal or external. I imagine he'll be shown as content and happy but regretful, which is natural for anyone in his position I think.
I think the regretful and possibly guilty angle is what we might be getting here. You don't have to go the bitter route in order to knock the character down to build him back up again.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
They used the discovery theme.

Same vineyard
tcrLqcm.jpg

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Can't even go into a Star Trek thread without running into stupid TLJ posts, eh?

I don't think it's necessary to be so rude. All I ask is that you respect my feelings on a character that is dear to me. We don't have to agree, just be respectful of one another. It's the proper Star Trek spirit.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Oh bugger off. I love Picard more than any other character - I can genuinely trace huge parts of who I am back to watching him as a kid - and if this show handles him as well as TLJ handled Luke I'll be fucking delighted.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't think it's necessary to be so rude. All I ask is that you respect my feelings on a character that is dear to me. We don't have to agree, just be respectful of one another. It's the proper Star Trek spirit.

Not all opinions are good or respectable. Going into a Star Trek thread to say The Last Jedi "assassinated" Luke is childish and shows a lack of understanding of basic writing.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Picard left Star Fleet because Wesley Crusher used his generational mind to engineer a bio weapon against changelings killing millions in the Gamma Quadrant. Picard feeling guilty for the upbringing of an evil man child retired retired quietly, he isolated himself at his vineyard in an attempt to lose himself in his beloved hobby.
But then Riker started doing the Riker manoeuvre all over the galaxy, shagging unsuspecting aliens in the process. And captain is the only one who can stop him?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh bugger off. I love Picard more than any other character - I can genuinely trace huge parts of who I am back to watching him as a kid - and if this show handles him as well as TLJ handled Luke I'll be fucking delighted.

Lives on a farm after going to kill Wesley in his sleep

(J/k I was ok-ish with TLJ)

I have faith in Stewart - if the script was good enough for him, I'm in

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
But then Riker started doing the Riker manoeuvre all over the galaxy, shagging unsuspecting aliens in the process. And captain is the only one who can stop him?
Not even the vast amount of contracted STIs can stop Riker.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Listen, you know damn well this is what you're getting. Picard will come out of retirement as a bitter, old man. But, still the same man of principles. He'll then teach everyone what it means to be Starfleet while they teach him not to be a bitter old man.

Doesn't that sound a bit formulaic? It's been done so many times.

Very true, but I think that there are lots of ways to present conflict without fundamentally changing the essense of the character. Maybe the writers will do exactly that and my fears are unfounded but... Look, I just grew up watching Picard, his way of handling difficult situations with grace and reason helped shape my own personality. Picard is important to me as much as a fictional character can be important to a person. Star Trek in general had a wonderful message of humanity moving past its differences and bad instincts. It is about optimism and hope. It would suck for me to see a Picard that is beaten down by life. I simply don't want to watch this. Hopefully I won't have to.

If any of you have a different opinion, that's fine. I really mean it. I just ask that you understand my point of view and respect it, even if you don't agree.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Not all opinions are good or respectable. Going into a Star Trek thread to say The Last Jedi "assassinated" Luke is childish and shows a lack of understanding of basic writing.

Please stop insulting me. I never said anything bad to you. I apologize if what I said upset you. I am sorry.

Oct 28, 2017
I need this. Not Discovery nor Twilight Zone could get me to subscribe to CBS All Access but my captain....Make it so.

You think he will have "Irumodic Syndrome" in this time line?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
We are probably going to get flash backs of the destruction of Romulus. Very interesting