• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The show indulging in Marco's offhanded giantess fetish remark on the way out the door would be something else. Although I don't know if Star's dress even has pockets.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I think Star will just go with Marco back to Earth with the last of the magic. It would make sense with themes of Star being "grown up" now and her leaving Mewnie in the care of Eclipsa.

Unless we truly are getting a sad ending tomorrow morning, and if that is the case, I'll have to try to keep it together :(

Oct 25, 2017
The show indulging in Marco's offhanded giantess fetish remark on the way out the door would be something else. Although I don't know if Star's dress even has pockets.

"Cleaved" (2019):

287.gif

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I think Star will just go with Marco back to Earth with the last of the magic. It would make sense with themes of Star being "grown up" now and her leaving Mewnie in the care of Eclipsa.

Unless we truly are getting a sad ending tomorrow morning, and if that is the case, I'll have to try to keep it together :(
Yeah star going to earth makes more sense than Marco staying in Mewni. I mean marco has Mariposa to take care of, Star doesn't really have anyone who needs her.

I still don't like the idea of star destroying all the magic. Lots of creatures depend on the magic so she'd basically be committing a massive extinction event. Plus, it's a resource presumably that everyone has a right to use so she really shouldn't have the right to make this decision in her own.

Regardless, we'll find out what happens tomorrow.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is all like: "The realm of magic will be destroyed, Star will be in Mewni and never see Marco oh noes"

And I'm here like, the real relationship that will be ruined:

latest

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Episode's available on demand in some markets as of about an hour ago, spoilers are in the wild. Just a heads up. See you all on the other side.

Saw one shot out-of-context by accident, will say no more but some people called it possibly happening based on available info.

EDIT:
There is speculation that he somehow is in Star's pocket like he said he wanted to be in the magic realm.
god that would be so stupid

but i guess i cant put it past the show
tumblr_prpsfloX2a1xpsiano2_540.png

tumblr_inline_prps5zscmh1vh5yw2_540.jpg

Last edited:

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Well that was great!
Lots of grim moments I'm surprised Disney let them get away with!

The worlds combined and Mina still out there leaves things open for a movie, comics, other media... while still providing a bit of closure.

Gonna miss this show

Edit: Now that I think about it, I need more explanation. Was it Marco and Star who created the dimension merging anomaly when they hugged, or was the magic which maintained order and kept dimensions separate? So is Kelly's dimension merged too along with others (like the one Marco aged in)?

Seems like there's more questions than answers due to that deus ex machina twist.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode's available on demand in some markets as of about an hour ago, spoilers are in the wild. Just a heads up. See you all on the other side.

Saw one shot out-of-context by accident, will say no more but some people called it possibly happening based on available info.

EDIT:

tumblr_prpsfloX2a1xpsiano2_540.png

tumblr_inline_prps5zscmh1vh5yw2_540.jpg
YOURE FUCKING KIDDING ME

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sure was a finale. Mehhhh.

That was really bad. I don't want to really get into my expectations vs reality kind of thing since I haven't watched every episode in the series but how this show decided that getting rid of magic would have basically minimal complications or for that matter, bizarrely few actual consequences is something I really hated.

Some of this was set up, sure, but it doesn't make this ending any less impactful. It feels so incomplete for basically no reason.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I thought the unicorn trampled Mina to death. I should've known she survived and got away. Star, Moon, and even Eclipsa did nothing to stop Mina from walking away. So much for Globgor eating Mina.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I think the ending was more mediocre than downright bad.
I think the biggest problem is that they tried to make the ending too final of an ending. While there's obviously new questions and potential in the new world, I think an ending where they only defeated Mina could have felt just as complete without being so out of left field.

At least Star and Marco got to be together. A sad ending would've sucked

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Overall I liked the episode, but the ending was like the writers said:

"It's magic, I ain't gotta give a shit!"

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I dunno, I enjoyed it. Sad and happy all at the same time. And hoping that we do indeed get comics or a TV movie or something.

Or hell, this is indeed the end of Star Vs The Forces Of Evil... and this Fall we get Star & Marco's Fantastic Adventures, since there is no more evil to VS. /conspiracy

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue is that
the show treats star's decision to end magic as not just a rational solution but it's also the solution that "fixes" just about everything by itself. if toffee was right all along, why does the show treat him at all like a villian and never bother to explain his motives or why he wants to do them? if his master plan to extinguish all magic would have resulted in everything going fine... what exactly was the point of stopping him?

Also... magic isn't just a problem making device. It can heal and even resurrect and it's been portrayed as a medium, used by forces both good and bad. Getting rid of it shouldn't be seen as a blindly good thing. Yet it's kiiind of what the show went with. The only real bad side effects this show openly shows was that Star couldnt see Marco for like 15 minutes and there are giant spiders attacking the city.

I'm not a starco shipper so maybe thats why i don't care a lot about what transpired but the implications of this on the broader universe aren't even touched on and this is what i liked about the show.

Oct 26, 2017
A bit low key, but a good ending. I'm glad it ended on a happy note.

And damn, the magic high commission got what they deserved.
I dunno, I enjoyed it. Sad and happy all at the same time. And hoping that we do indeed get comics or a TV movie or something.

Or hell, this is indeed the end of Star Vs The Forces Of Evil... and this Fall we get Star & Marco's Fantastic Adventures, since there is no more evil to VS. /conspiracy
Yeah, they laid some groundwork for a continuation if they ever want to in some form, be it comic, movie, or series.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A bit low key, but a good ending. I'm glad it ended on a happy note.

And damn, the magic high commission got what they deserved.

Yeah, they laid some groundwork for a continuation if they ever want to in some form, be it comic, movie, or series.
Did they show the high commission? I feel like I missed that, I only recall someone asking what their purpose is now.

Did it end with Marco and Star saying hi after the merger? My DVR cut off the last couple of minutes I think.

Oct 26, 2017
Did they show the high commission? I feel like I missed that, I only recall someone asking what their purpose is now.

Did it end with Marco and Star saying hi after the merger? My DVR cut off the last couple of minutes I think.
The commission ceased to exist. They all died with the magic.

And yeah, it ended with them saying hi.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It shows the skull of omnitraxus prime and the crystal dude's crystals and snakes being inactive. They're dead.

Hekapoo is weirdly not elaborated on at all after the post magic snap

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Cleaved
Wait, this is only one episode? Huh.
Oh shit Marco impaled.
Well, Mina's down.
Gators controlled by the eyes, that's rough.
Oh, Mina managed to get out. Surprised they're ending with her still being an antagonist.
Screw this forgiveness, lock Moon up.
Damn, Ponyhead is still alive and can float. So this isn't magic?
Star leaving Ponyhead out of her friends.
RIP Magic High Commission and good riddance. Though Star kind of committed genocide, huh?
Why establish that unicorn stab if it would recover before it did anything?
Janna got back after all.
Well, I didn't expect that.

So, the two worlds are brought together. I can't help but think of all the real problems that will cause, some of which we saw right in that ending. Still, that was an alright ending, if you don't think about the implications.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont think about the real implications this would have on people that are slightly outside of star's social bubble! Just be happy star and marco are together after four seasons of meandering through that idea of a relationship!

I like how people say that this opens up possible avenues for comics or another show but I really can't see that. Star's decision was incredibly selfish and poorly thought out. She no longer has a weapon she can use to fight villians and just because magic's gone doesn't mean that a race war between the mewmans and the monsters would just cease. Multiple people, both good and bad are dead because of this decision because either they relied on magic or were literally made of magic.

If there was be a follow-up, it'd almost be entirely be about the people that were effected because of this awful decision going against a powerless Star who has relied on magic almost the entire series. Marco can maybe hold his own for a bit but that can really only carry him so far. Not to mention how imprecise this show's definition of "magic" is considering Ponyhead can still float and fly around.

There were some stuff I liked. Seeing all four of the living queens in butterfly form was neat and Eclipsa's mother seeming to finally approve of her daughter was cool. Nailing a finale, I guess is pretty hard but for me they completely missed the mark.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked how the final scene was executed - glancing at the subreddit, I see a lot of people confused or frustrated at it ending on "Hey" "Hi," but that seemed pitch perfect to me - but yeah, the whole state of affairs when all is said and done doesn't seem thought through. The merging is already showing things going wrong, but it's clearly directed to come across as, to quote a recent movie, an absolute win. There's some real dissonance there.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
the way her eyes narrowed, she enjoyed that
tumblr_inline_prriqy9nlq1tap6gq_400.png

that was a nice surprise
tumblr_prqz3hNIpg1u9atreo3_400.gif

"When late-night sleepover party games go bad..."
tumblr_prqzkeSkbf1u9atreo3_400.gif

this was a pretty sweet entrance
tumblr_prqxfi3n7X1sev0h9_400.gif

Moms, amirite?
tumblr_prr590eagG1umeesr_400.gif

tumblr_inline_prr5hny2b61umeesr_400.gif

mess-up twin powers, activate!
tumblr_prr68cBltv1vaup8zo10_400.gif

there's your happy ending
tumblr_prqvewYsnb1thf3wjo1_400.gif

"Your Name" (2016)
tumblr_prr4opH2y81qzjftxo1_400.png

... god she looks so weird without her cheekmarks...

A message from Daron
tumblr_prrbuaf9Oh1ujvteb_400.png
tumblr_prrbu9xikN1ujvteb_400.png

Sooooooo... the REPERCUSSIONS
tumblr_prrf2ek4Ri1tbl66m_1280.jpg

Star and Marco's final desire to never be apart did... things. As weird of an adjustment it's going to be for everyone involved, it almost seems like Daron had been pushing for this resolution from the very beginning:

Glossaryck dropping THAT keyword at the end of Season 1
44d86d373aeab162bf56f4884fc960b444c1f90a-hq.gif

And then there's this little bit of possible foreshadowing from Season 2
tumblr_prr1icbzbx1v47ws5_540.png

something to nosh on

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I was surprised that Solaria helped her daughter and disapprove Mina's actions. We forgive you, racist grandma.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the end Daron wanted she should have had another season to build on the idea that magic needed to go.

This finale just seems like an end for a different story. Mewmans don't like monsters, but what is there to suggest that humans would be any better.

Plus, star's decision is flatout horrible. She genocided an entire population, robbed her people and future generations of a valuable resource, and didn't even resolve the main issues driving the problems this season.

I guess there is something to be said about taking a powerful weapon away from racists to make them less harmful, but that same weapon was capable of healing and more so the resolution just seems poorly thought out.

Also, we never really get an explanation for the black magic goop or the dark unicorns.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, we never really get an explanation for the black magic goop or the dark unicorns.
its never explictly stated (because of course it's not) but the wiki claims its from when moon washed off the evil magic on herself when she was all loopy in the realm of magic, which then corrupted millihorses who swam/drank it

its a completely needless plotline that i think they introduced at the beginning of season 3 and did nothing with so they had to bring it up in the finale

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here's another thing that completely bothers me about the star destroying magic plotline that again, kind of was weak anyway and is filled with numerous holes in logic

toffee reanimates on the portrait to shout "surprise!" after she figures she needs to destroy magic in the middle of a tantrum

wouldn't star be more taken aback by this? he's tried to kill her before and was considered a straight up villain even after his death. wouldn't she be questioning this line of logic? i was kind of hoping that either star would realize that this wasn't the way or something along those lines but nope, guess she's fine taking up toffee's apparent motivation.

star doesnt seem like she'd be the kind of person to be suddenly sympathetic with toffee's ideas like that. i would expect maybe some self-examination.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It was an okay ending, there's room for a sequel but does Mina seriously get away with everything

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
another unanswered question: do marco's crescent cheeks when he's using star's wand even mean anything? it's played up originally when but when it shows up here it seems to go unquestioned. i was hoping for an answer to this but we never got one. lobster claws didnt take on any cheek signs when he held the wand, so its clearly supposed to signify something.

they need to do an ama on this shit. i did at least get one answer in the respect that the magic high comission doesn't see themselves as monsters but rather just magic beings, but it seems like those lines are awfully blurred.

It was an okay ending, there's room for a sequel but does Mina seriously get away with everything
Mina did way more harm to people than Toffee ever did and Toffee turned out to be right, so I have no idea why they kept her alive, especially during this finale.

Love the village woman that said "Huh, I guess I'm not as hatefilled as I thought" for like, no reason. She's literally sitting down in the armor head she was just in! They took away your big toy and suddenly you're not racist? What? Bizarre conclusion to that storyline that absolutely was not earned.

Last edited:

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
So many of the plot lines could have been resolved better, but the resolution of Star and Marco getting to stay together is really cute if you can ignore a lot of the terrible things that'll happen to other people. I definitely wish there was more time to settle into this ending.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The depression is finally setting in. Major salutes to Daron and the crew! Smile because it happened, don't cry because it's over.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the ending gets a lukewarm reaction from me. There were bits I liked, but overall felt rushed and like there were no consequences (except for MHC, I guess).

Still liked the show overall, though. Wouldn't mind seeing additional content in the post-cleave world.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
hey at least the end of this is likely less disappointing for all of us here than the GoT fans will be later today :P