• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the episode and i liked it with something about them saying hi to each other really working for me.

Everything being merged is what i had expected and it would be interesting seeing the repercussions lol.

Also Marco had the moon symbols the first time he took the wand (and it transformed ) while performing the all seeing eye spell. I guess it was supposed to hint that Star and Marco aren't that different in regards to earthlings and mewmans and its just magic that differentiates the latter, which they finally confirm in season 3 (Star and Moon are not blood related members of the actual Butterfly royal Family) and this season (Mewmans are earthlings that found the magic portal)

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the episode and i liked it with something about them saying hi to each other really working for me.

Everything being merged is what i had expected and it would be interesting seeing the repercussions lol.

Also Marco had the moon symbols the first time he took the wand and it transformed while doing the all seeing eye spell. I guess it was supposed to hint that Star and Marco aren't that different in regards to earthlings and mewmans and its just magic that differentiates the latter, which they finally confirm in season 3 (Star and Moon and not members of the actual Butterfly Family) and this season (Mewmans are earthlings that found the magic portal)
I guess? It just seemed like it was hinting at something more- would Janna take on symbols on her cheek if she attempted to use the wand? I dunno, it seems like we're missing some lore here.

I guess my other problem with the finale is that we will probably never see the repercussions, which just comes off as strange for a finale. It really comes off as way too ecstatic about what really should be a much more dreadful impact to everything. just a mere season ago, they were trying to stop toffee from doing the same thing!

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
another unanswered question: do marco's crescent cheeks when he's using star's wand even mean anything? it's played up originally when but when it shows up here it seems to go unquestioned. i was hoping for an answer to this but we never got one. lobster claws didnt take on any cheek signs when he held the wand, so its clearly supposed to signify something.

they need to do an ama on this shit. i did at least get one answer in the respect that the magic high comission doesn't see themselves as monsters but rather just magic beings, but it seems like those lines are awfully blurred.

Mina did way more harm to people than Toffee ever did and Toffee turned out to be right, so I have no idea why they kept her alive, especially during this finale.

Love the village woman that said "Huh, I guess I'm not as hatefilled as I thought" for like, no reason. She's literally sitting down in the armor head she was just in! They took away your big toy and suddenly you're not racist? What? Bizarre conclusion to that storyline that absolutely was not earned.

Star and Eclipsa just stood around while Mina walked away with her remaining underlings. They're okay letting a person who nearly committed mass murder go.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was said at some point that exposure to the wand/magic gives mewmans those cheek marks, and since they're just humans it makes sense Marco would get them. Can't recall what episode that was from, so I might be crazy and have imagined that.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star and Eclipsa just stood around while Mina walked away with her remaining underlings. They're okay letting a person who nearly committed mass murder go.
Unrepentant even.

I thought it was said at some point that exposure to the wand/magic gives mewmans those cheek marks, and since they're just humans it makes sense Marco would get them. Can't recall what episode that was from, so I might be crazy and have imagined that.

Not finding anything on the wiki about this. If you could find something on this, it'd be great.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess? It just seemed like it was hinting at something more- would Janna take on symbols on her cheek if she attempted to use the wand? I dunno, it seems like we're missing some lore here.

I guess my other problem with the finale is that we will probably never see the repercussions, which just comes off as strange for a finale. It really comes off as way too ecstatic about what really should be a much more dreadful impact to everything. just a mere season ago, they were trying to stop toffee from doing the same thing!

@bold: Seems like it .

I thought at the time it was more due to the blood moon link they had with each other but that was apparently severed.

about the repercussions point: Unless it continues in the comic series or something we wont see how this is dealt with and i assume its a happy ending *shrug*. But seriously i would like to see that since the ending creates more questions than answers.

Now, Mina can spread her good ideas to both humans and mewnis.

And the sad thing about this is that i could see it working :/

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Not finding anything on the wiki about this. If you could find something on this, it'd be great.

Can't find a direct quote yet, someone said it's mentioned in "Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension", which isn't a book I'm super interested in buying lol. At least in the episode "Fetch" Star mentions the wand emits some kind of magic radiation. It seems to be the widely accepted explanation for cheek marks on the Star reddit, so that might be where I got it from.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would've been a better option for Eclipsa to use her Spell of Annihilation on Mina's army.
Not sure why this was never seen as a viable option. Eclipsa didn't seem really fatigued and judging by how that thing melted through the environment like hot butter, it's not like she would have needed to cast it a lot.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Not sure why this was never seen as a viable option. Eclipsa didn't seem really fatigued and judging by how that thing melted through the environment like hot butter, it's not like she would have needed to cast it a lot.

It's obviously a better choice than Star being responsible for the countless deaths of magical creatures.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Did the show ever explain the connection between Moon and Ludo's family? I remember there being an implied dynamic there back in season two, but I can't remember it ever being expanded on.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the show ever explain the connection between Moon and Ludo's family? I remember there being an implied dynamic there back in season two, but I can't remember it ever being expanded on.
As far as I can tell, the show never actually explained this themselves. It's in a book though.

According to Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells, the Avariuses first came into the Mewni spotlight during the reign of Queen Crescenta Butterfly. Crescenta, wishing to establish a government within the monster population that was overseen by the Butterfly family, organized an election to crown a monster king and queen. She ran the election campaign for Pemma Avarius while also tarnishing her opponents' name and reputation through smear campaigns. Eventually, Pemma and her husband Sudo won the election and were crowned king and queen.

By the way, really don't like how a lot of this show's lore is tied to a book and seems to have no bearing on the show at all. A lot of this stuff would have been cool to watch as opposed to Star and her friends dicking around in Quest Buy's backroom.
Nah, the spell was uncontrollable. It would've wiped out everything in Mewni.
We saw two variants of it in the show. Eclipsa seemed to think it was possible to at least direct it better, it's just she had never needed to use the spell before so it came out as completely uncontrollable. Moon's version of it seemed less destructive at the very least and would have probably gotten the job done. If the corruption put too much of a strain on her, they could just clean it off in the realm of magic, although that could taint it further, but we've seen before that Star is able to reboot the realm of magic.
It's obviously a better choice than Star being responsible for the countless deaths of magical creatures.
Oh 100%. The show didn't even show us what happened to the spells inside Star's wand despite dedicating a whole episodes on their lives earlier in the season. All those magic beings are just totally dead now because Star was encouraged by Glossaryck (a man who tells nobody what he's doing, shifts alliances constantly, and generally seems to be unhelpful almost 100% of the time) and Toffee (the man who tried to kill her a whole season earlier and has never had a reason for us to think his intentions were anything but malicious) during a temper tantrum.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can tell, the show never actually explained this themselves. It's in a book though.

According to Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells, the Avariuses first came into the Mewni spotlight during the reign of Queen Crescenta Butterfly. Crescenta, wishing to establish a government within the monster population that was overseen by the Butterfly family, organized an election to crown a monster king and queen. She ran the election campaign for Pemma Avarius while also tarnishing her opponents' name and reputation through smear campaigns. Eventually, Pemma and her husband Sudo won the election and were crowned king and queen.

Thanks for digging this up. It's good to get a little closure on that plot, even though I'm a little bummed that this story wasn't told in the show.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Oh 100%. The show didn't even show us what happened to the spells inside Star's wand despite dedicating a whole episodes on their lives earlier in the season. All those magic beings are just totally dead now because Star was encouraged by Glossaryck (a man who tells nobody what he's doing, shifts alliances constantly, and generally seems to be unhelpful almost 100% of the time) and Toffee (the man who tried to kill her a whole season earlier and has never had a reason for us to think his intentions were anything but malicious) during a temper tantrum.

Goodbye, Laser Puppies and Spider with a Top Hat.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
With Game Of Thrones and Star ending I got the serious end of show depression creeping in.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Both watched and loved! Especially Steven that *ending* had me in tears...
uh....
what about just some fun mostly stand alone adventures then

From the creators of Phineas and Ferb, Milo Murphy's Law

And something that feels like a modern classic but with some nice themes in it Loud House

(small note with this one, summed up very well in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNnNKIMxQg (and seriously even if you don't care about the loud house this one should be watched as it's a great video about how it is to be a woman in animation) short version creator of the series is scum, but he has been kicked off the show and the show pushes good values in general despite his involvement originally)

I don't know where or if either of those is streaming somewhere though to catch up on.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Caught the series finale. I didn't dislike it but it definitely felt rushed. So
are the Earth and Mewni like, merged now?

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Well, considering what they just did I don't think they're really in a position to judge her. They really fucked up the messaging there, how is the audience supposed to think what Star and the rest did is okay when it was so poorly motivated and presumably lead to friends across the multiverse being unfairly separated and likely vast amounts of sentient magic creatures simply ceasing to exist? They talk about magic being used by queens unfairly and selfishly, but isn't deciding it sucks and taking it away from literally everyone else too the most unfair and selfish thing they could've done?

And the sad thing about this is that i could see it working :/
Oh definitely. Consider that suddenly a swath of SoCal has been replaced by a medieval kingdom full of weird monsters. Defenseless people and monsters, at that. Lead by monarchs who can quite easily be accused of doing some pretty heinous things (intent doesn't matter, really) and just popping out of nowhere, screwing with people's lives and destroying their land. Even disregarding the US government response (because let's face it, this is just a cartoon), Mina could easily rise up as a populist political figure bent on exterminating the monsters. Especially now since the magic isn't affecting her anymore, presumably making her a lot more sane.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Caught the series finale. I didn't dislike it but it definitely felt rushed. So
are the Earth and Mewni like, merged now?
Yup.

going into the episode I figured that since Mewmins were originally from earth when magic was destroyed they would be brought back to earth leaving Mewni to the monsters, but nope seems like Star and Marco used the last of the magic to merge the worlds likely resulting in lots of bloodshed and death as our world calls all the cops and military in to kill all the monsters that just showed up... shooting first and asking questions never....

but uh.... we should likely just ignore the fact that people from our world were screaming and freaked out and instead just assume they then quickly were told it's alright and calmed down and just started taking selfies or something.

just like we should be alright with all the magical creatures just being killed off >.>

yeah... that ending could have been a little smoother and thought out lol.
either way. Still a fun enough ride.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really gonna miss this show.

I can't say that I truly understand some of the negativity surrounding this season or the finale, I'm honestly quite satisfied with both; the ending in particular was very "Star", chaotic and kooky yet cute and sweet at the same time. I just love the story they were telling, it was compelling from beginning to end.
And I really appreciate how it didn't waste my time with a flood of mundane, banal stories centered around mundane, banal "muggle" characters like a certain other cartoon starring a magical teen unraveling and dealing with a dark and enigmatic past on the mom's side of the family...

Last edited:

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Well, considering what they just did I don't think they're really in a position to judge her. They really fucked up the messaging there, how is the audience supposed to think what Star and the rest did is okay when it was so poorly motivated and presumably lead to friends across the multiverse being unfairly separated and likely vast amounts of sentient magic creatures simply ceasing to exist? They talk about magic being used by queens unfairly and selfishly, but isn't deciding it sucks and taking it away from literally everyone else too the most unfair and selfish thing they could've done?

Yeah, I think this is what really bothers me about the finale. There was just so little build up to Star figuring out she had to destroy magic, not even considering the ramifications of doing so. Star and Marco JUST promised Mariposa and Meteora they'd get to grow up together, and basically take steps to make sure that doesn't happen with no hesitation. We even had that episode with the magic spells having a pancake party (RIP those guys) that gave a lot of importance to the nameless spell which... gets used once and that's it. There were some plot threads that felt like they didn't really go anywhere imo.

And now we have all this turmoil and giant spiders wandering around on people's homes. Like, people were fine with a magical transfer student and a teacher getting turned into a troll, but this is another level of chaos.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
It just occurred to me, but outside of with each other, do Star and Marco have any relationship with others as friends? Like when Star looks at her tapestry, the first thing that bothers her is that Marco isn't on it, but neither are any of her friends(some of whom might be dead or dying) or Tom whom they left stranded in the magic dimension.

I also don't like how the MHC sort of retroactively got Face-Heel Turned or Eclipsa...whitewashed if that makes any sense? Like there was a LOT of build up to her being at least but sketchy and morally Grey, but none of that went any where. Same for that green magic that got introduced on S2 in BonBon and Just Friends whenever Star got jealous hinting at a plot about magic fueled by negative emotions, but none of those got expanded or went anywhere.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
We even had that episode with the magic spells having a pancake party (RIP those guys)
Sheesh, I forgot about that. Star really did commit genocide.

I also don't like how the MHC sort of retroactively got Face-Heel Turned or Eclipsa...whitewashed if that makes any sense? Like there was a LOT of build up to her being at least but sketchy and morally Grey, but none of that went any where.
Yeah, I mentioned this before with Globgor. We at least got to see Eclipsa do morally sketchy things, but Globgor eating Mewmans is just glossed over and he's a completely nice guy whenever we see him. Heck, he doesn't seem that big a threat, since a single Solarian warrior wrecked him; were there really none around in his time?

Oct 27, 2017
I feel really bad for Doop-Doop.

Poor guy spends his entire life in a shed, forgotten by the person who made him. Only for her to finally show up and abandon him again. Then she goes off and causes his death.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel really bad for Doop-Doop.

Poor guy spends his entire life in a shed, forgotten by the person who made him. Only for her to finally show up and abandon him again. Then she goes off and causes his death.
what was up with this character? i know he's voiced by roiland but he was introduced for like little rhyme or reason in a season that really needed the time to craft a good finale.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Doop Doop was a joke not meant to take seiously or have much story behind.
That still doesn't change the underlying point that the spells are very clearly sentient and sapient and removing all magic likely killed them all. That episode also brings back the whole problem with Moon's Face-Heel turn since she's shown to be perfectly content with her new life.

Edit: Or the other point that you can like something while still being critical of it

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? I mean he's not wrong in calling these inconsistencies out which greatly contradict the intended reading of the ending.
She
It's become patently clear over the past page or two that Exotoro just didn't like this show to begin with.
I liked it in moments. But you're right in that I just didn't find the writing very strong to begin with.

If that bothers you too much, you're free to ignore me, but it's not like I haven't at least tried to approach this show on it's own merits. I liked a lot of the greater multiverse stuff and the Meteora arc is probably what I consider the show's prime. The ending and this final season really let me down for a lot of reasons and I feel indulged hard in what I consider the show's weakest qualities (romantic relationships, forced character motivation switches, not showing what should be key details).
Doop Doop had, what, 30 seconds of screentime overall?
Doop Doop isn't a huge issue but for a character that has a episode titled after them they're surprisingly used only for pretty much the same gag twice. I dunno, it would have been neat if they actually used them in a way that surprised me. Roiland's characters in other shows tend to be pretty one-note initially and then gain importance later on (Blendin, Lemongrab) and while I don't think they needed to make them anything more than a gag, it just kind of left me scratching my head at how much they show up in this last season without really serving anything but some really cruel jokes about the way Star treats her first creation.

I dunno. I was responding to someone else and it's a pretty minor character overall. Definitely more of a nitpick.

Last edited:

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
She

I liked it in moments. But you're right in that I just didn't find the writing very strong to begin with.

If that bothers you too much, you're free to ignore me, but it's not like I haven't at least tried to approach this show on it's own merits. I liked a lot of the greater multiverse stuff and the Meteora arc is probably what I consider the show's prime. The ending and this final season really let me down for a lot of reasons and I feel indulged hard in what I consider the show's weakest qualities (romantic relationships, forced character motivation switches, not showing what should be key details).

My bad. And yeah the show has been bad about romance issues and key details for a VERY long time.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the show's art direction. It feels very much like a graphic novel and while season 1 looked a bit wonky at times, by the time they had ironed out a lot of the weirdness in the animation it looked really good. Really great colors. The character design can be really good too- Tom, Hekapoo, Kelly, Star, Eclipsa, Omnitraxus Prime, Mina... all of these are really good designs and they stick out fantastically. This show knew what to drop around Season 2 and 3 and focused on a lot of it's better elements around it's middle and I feel like Season 3 especially made me want to watch the show again. Season 2 was a lot of set up and while I've complained a lot about Toffee on the board before, it never really sank into me how much of him is a bit weak when they had done a great job building him up as a threat through Ludo.

The show did a surprisingly great job with fleshing out Moon, who I never thought would be more than just Star's nagging mom. They gave her a story that really seemed to define her character well and I feel like Season 4 did a bad job following up on what they had established with her towards the end. The show dealt with the idea of giving Native Americans (aka Monsters) back their land that I've never seen in media before and did so in a realistic way. I do like a lot of the elements of the show towards it's middle bit.

Not all of this show is bad. But not all of it is good either. It's a frustrating show to watch because I know it can be good in a way I appreciate. By the time it had found it's groove, it was really interesting television.

Also Janna is great. I loved "Jannanigans" almost more than any other episode in this season just because it was a great spotlight episode for her. She's not the best design on the show or anything but I love that they give her a prominent chin and that she seems to really bounce well off almost every character.

I feel like I should probably state what I did actually like the show because I don't want people to think I hate-watched this. Because I really didn't. This show was something special and introduced a lot of really interesting ideas. It's clearly a show made out of the wave of creator-driven cartoons that came out of Flapjack and Adventure Time and I found it interesting in how it tackled the same elements other shows had just started to take on, such as a ongoing narrative.

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm not going to ignore someone because they didn't like a show I loved, lol, that's just silly talk. I was merely commenting on the fact that it seemed like you wanted something more from the series as a whole, which is fair enough.

It's very rare for me to dislike something. I can't even remember the last thing I watched be it movie or TV show that I disliked.

That doesn't mean I found this to be a perfect show. I wish we had more of an ending than two teens standing in a chaos filled dimension making googly eyes at each other, and the shipping drama might have ruined my enjoyment of talking about the show with fans outside of here, but I still loved every second, and come January 1st, should it be on Disney+, I'm starting a rewatch.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
An hour would have been great.

If Brian's Cleaved soundtrack is anything to go by, the new hybrid dimension is to be called 'Earth-ni'.

Might just be what he decided to call it, though, and not something official. Seems about as good a name as any.
Ooh nice. Also damn, that music at the end is so good just like he talks about in the description.

The depression is finally setting in. Major salutes to Daron and the crew! Smile because it happened, don't cry because it's over.
Yeah, I'm gonna miss this show a ton.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
ynhif8mai8z21.jpg

(Shamelessly stolen from Reddit)

But seriously, I thought it was a good enough ending to the show. Not many other shows are fortunate enough to get that. I'm looking forward to future shows this year like Gravity Train, The Owl House, and maybe Amphibia