• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that this series only lasted two seasons.
It's not 100% sure it only lasted two seasons just very likely.
Technically Disney hasn't cancelled it yet.
they just haven't picked it up for a third season.

which is normally a horrible sign, but also remember that most of the crew is working on a Phineas and Ferb movie right now, so it could just be a case that they scrapped production on Milo until after the movie was done.

likely wishful thinking, but still a glimmer of hope.
hope to see some of you in the Amphibia thread in June
I'll check it out, but I'm not really feeling it from the trailers so far.

Oct 25, 2017
I had said the ending of them just looking at each other really resonated with me and now i know why that Is since its similar to the ending of Paperman (which i also fucking loved)

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The ending was ok but i didn't like the two worlds merging together and magic ending suddendly it felt a bit gimmicky :'( like this could have been a season finale it reminds me of the korra s2 ending

I assume there will be a movie or comics with mina and the lizards one day

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Because of the way the show ended, we never really got a proper royal inscription for Star to match her tapestry. One was included in the Magic Book of Spells, but it only dealt with her abdicating the throne to Eclipsa and ignored what would come afterwards, an event even more defining to Mewni and worlds beyond.

I liked one fan's attempt to rectify this:

"Star the Rebel Princess,
with a love unbreakable to mention,
destroyed the magic, ended her monarchy,

and united the two dimensions"

tumblr_inline_prtsacllLb1te43d5_400.gif

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Top 10 thread repliers. If it weren't for you all, this OT would probably be a ghost town. So, thanks.

star-top10.jpg

compare and contrast with the previous S3 OT:
star-top10s3.jpg

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This was the first season I actually saw from the beginning as it was airing. Season 1 and 2 I binge watched, same for the first half of season 3.

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to start watching this show in January, and wow, I just didn't like where it went after The Battle for Mewni. I really loved it before this because it was fun, colorful, and hilarious, with all the adventures they went on to numerous areas, coupled in with some really charming characters that showed development, and a decent balance between all of this along with the plot.

Then after The Battle for Mewni, everything became so serious. I wouldn't even mind how serious it got were it not for the fact that it felt so poorly written. What with not-so-great pacing, character development either just not happening or there being complete paradigm shifts that felt forced, and the decisions that were made that never really made sense and their impacts of them being ignored, especially with a lot of people doing bad things and never facing the consequences of their actions.

I don't even want to talk about the romance angle. I honestly don't think that after The Battle for Mewni we went more than two episodes without the next one being focused on various relationships. If it's not that, the episodes then either end up being a ton of exposition or drama. I think the only recent episode that were able to capture the feeling of the earlier ones was Britta's Tacos.

Ultimately, I definitely feel like the show was at its best when it was Star and Marco having fun in Echo Creek for first segment of an episode, then going to some new dimension the second segment. While I am sad that it ended, I think it's probably for the best. The show had over two seasons worth of episodes to get its "seriousness" aspect worked out, only for it to never get any better than when it was first introduced. I'm just upset that they were so dedicated to making the show exclusive that starting with the third season. If they tried to work out a balance between the fun and serious, I would have been fine with that, but it just leaned more so towards the latter than the former, and it never really caught on with me.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to start watching this show in January, and wow, I just didn't like where it went after The Battle for Mewni. I really loved it before this because it was fun, colorful, and hilarious, with all the adventures they went on to numerous areas, coupled in with some really charming characters that showed development, and a decent balance between all of this along with the plot.

Then after The Battle for Mewni, everything became so serious. I wouldn't even mind how serious it got were it not for the fact that it felt so poorly written. What with not-so-great pacing, character development either just not happening or there being complete paradigm shifts that felt forced, and the decisions that were made that never really made sense and their impacts of them being ignored, especially with a lot of people doing bad things and never facing the consequences of their actions.

I don't even want to talk about the romance angle. I honestly don't think that after The Battle for Mewni we went more than two episodes without the next one being focused on various relationships. If it's not that, the episodes then either end up being a ton of exposition or drama. I think the only recent episode that were able to capture the feeling of the earlier ones was Britta's Tacos.

Ultimately, I definitely feel like the show was at its best when it was Star and Marco having fun in Echo Creek for first segment of an episode, then going to some new dimension the second segment. While I am sad that it ended, I think it's probably for the best. The show had over two seasons worth of episodes to get its "seriousness" aspect worked out, only for it to never get any better than when it was first introduced. I'm just upset that they were so dedicated to making the show exclusive that starting with the third season. If they tried to work out a balance between the fun and serious, I would have been fine with that, but it just leaned more so towards the latter than the former, and it never really caught on with me.
Personally for me the show got a lot better after the Battle for Mewni- I never really felt fully on board with the show's sillier elements and kind of hoped it would always mature past it which Battle of Mewni mostly was. There's a lot of what I consider strong episodes in Season 3 but Season 4 was absolutely the wrong direction to take some of these plotlines and I guess I can feel you on that level. I loved Britta's Tacos and ultimately felt Echo Creek was a more interesting setting for the show and was kind of disappointed more episodes didn't try to take the strengths of both more often. It kind of felt like Janna was mostly included in the later episodes of the show as a sort of compromise? Not that I'm complaining because I love Janna.

I think the show was always meant to go in a more serious direction- I mean Toffee's introduction alone kind of hinted that he was in this for a different reason than anyone else and he brought a energy I personally found very interesting. However, the show could never balance it's plotlines like it's contemporaries Adventure Time and Steven Universe were able to and it's mainly because they were less willing to bite the bullet on decisions they teased and teased for seasons- the fact Season 3 starts off with a payoff for Season 2 comes across as very awkward to me and Season 4 is a season of meandering and outright plotless episodes at times.

It easily was the more infuriating show to watch out of the shows that are kind of similar to it and while it had it's moments, it's highs were never enough to make it for it's numerous lows and I think it's unfortunate. The romances you mentioned here are especially bad because the show never either really gives us much of a window into them or outright never cares to. Marco x Kelly goes on for basically two episodes before being written off screen, Tom x Star is maybe the strongest of the relationships they're willing to show, Jacky x Marco happens and then basically is kind of in the background until they break up.... I think Marco x Star really weakened the show because it ruined these relationships. Virtually all of these relationships die because they have feelings for the other but they don't bite the bullet on it until basically the last few episodes. And because this is so drawn out, it's not a surprise they get together. You don't really root for them to get together because they basically bully each other out of other relationships through their feelings with each other but actively refuse to get together.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally for me the show got a lot better after the Battle for Mewni- I never really felt fully on board with the show's sillier elements and kind of hoped it would always mature past it which Battle of Mewni mostly was. There's a lot of what I consider strong episodes in Season 3 but Season 4 was absolutely the wrong direction to take some of these plotlines and I guess I can feel you on that level. I loved Britta's Tacos and ultimately felt Echo Creek was a more interesting setting for the show and was kind of disappointed more episodes didn't try to take the strengths of both more often. It kind of felt like Janna was mostly included in the later episodes of the show as a sort of compromise? Not that I'm complaining because I love Janna.

I think the show was always meant to go in a more serious direction- I mean Toffee's introduction alone kind of hinted that he was in this for a different reason than anyone else and he brought a energy I personally found very interesting. However, the show could never balance it's plotlines like it's contemporaries Adventure Time and Steven Universe were able to and it's mainly because they were less willing to bite the bullet on decisions they teased and teased for seasons- the fact Season 3 starts off with a payoff for Season 2 comes across as very awkward to me and Season 4 is a season of meandering and outright plotless episodes at times.

It easily was the more infuriating show to watch out of the shows that are kind of similar to it and while it had it's moments, it's highs were never enough to make it for it's numerous lows and I think it's unfortunate. The romances you mentioned here are especially bad because the show never either really gives us much of a window into them or outright never cares to. Marco x Kelly goes on for basically two episodes before being written off screen, Tom x Star is maybe the strongest of the relationships they're willing to show, Jacky x Marco happens and then basically is kind of in the background until they break up.... I think Marco x Star really weakened the show because it ruined these relationships. Virtually all of these relationships die because they have feelings for the other but they don't bite the bullet on it until basically the last few episodes. And because this is so drawn out, it's not a surprise they get together. You don't really root for them to get together because they basically bully each other out of other relationships through their feelings with each other but actively refuse to get together.

Excellently put. You're right in that the serious tone was inevitable, and Season 3 definitely did a great job with Toffee. But as it went on, and especially with Season 4, it felt like nothing was happening or whatever was happening wasn't dealt with in an interesting manner.

Also agree on the balance part, Steven Universe and Adventure Time had it. Star Vs could've had it, but instead the non-plot relevant episodes were mostly used for conversations that never really went anywhere.

I still like most of the show, but I am disappointed at the direction it took, both in terms of quality and how it presented the new material.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019

Excellently put. You're right in that the serious tone was inevitable, and Season 3 definitely did a great job with Toffee. But as it went on, and especially with Season 4, it felt like nothing was happening or whatever was happening wasn't dealt with in an interesting manner.

Also agree on the balance part, Steven Universe and Adventure Time had it. Star Vs could've had it, but instead the non-plot relevant episodes were mostly used for conversations that never really went anywhere.

I still like most of the show, but I am disappointed at the direction it took, both in terms of quality and how it presented the new material.

Not much more to add except a link to various takes an explanations as to what happened that "Changed" things since there are way too many posts to link them all.

From that page onward explains all of the issues, but one of the main big ones was Giancarlo Volpe leaving after BfM. I also made some posts on there about some further thoughts for anyone interested.

I will say that they needed to just get to Starco IMMEDIATELY as S3 started. Not of that shipping bullshit nonsense that was never gonna convince anyone that Starco wasn't gonna happen given that Nefcy mentioned in a previous interview that she based parts of Star and Marco's personalities on herself and her husband and they really needed to focus a LOT more on the world building and character development.

Oct 25, 2017
The romance stuff was alright at best but once you saw how they interacted in the first few eps you then realized it was gonna be them and it kinda made the others irrelevant. And that's without the creator chiming in :P

I guess it was to show that a relationship path isn't so cut and dry and things can happen due to not realizing or reacting fast enough but for the viewer it can come off as time wasting especially when there are hints of both liking each other and placing doubts on the crushes of the other people (Marco wondering if hes placing Jackie on a pedestal, Star freaking the fuck out once Marco started reading about her thoughts about him, never mentioning Oscar again and if you read the book of spells it contains her full diary entry
of her admitting that there is a connection she has with Marco that she has never felt with someone else but denying having a crush
).

Then you feel bad for the others because it seems like a dick move once the eventual drop of the other shoe happens. At least one of them made it out mostly unscathed (Jackie) while the other is understandably cool with it (Tom) . But those quick teases of something that wouldn't happen (Kelly, Hekapoo) wasn't great tbh.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just really didn't care for the shipping in this show. I felt it was very weak and didn't mesh well with the other elements in this show.

Pretty well prodded ground at this point i guess. I don't think speculating why the show's quality dropped on team members from other shows joining is exactly a healthy practice, though. Looking at you, "animesuperhero".

Oct 27, 2017
This scene came up in my recommended on Youtube and I laughed so much after watching it, so much happened in just a minute, but the timing of it all was so on point.

I don't know if it's just me either, but the voice acting in the earlier seasons felt like it had more energy to it. Feels like later on everyone started sounding a bit more uninspired.

Kind of wish this version of Star Vs didn't disappear after The Battle for Mewni.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
watched it, still funny

then youtube treated me to a thumbnail montage of recommendations that includes a pic of a laser-puppy being "snapped" away as a dumbfounded Star looks on, and I LOST IT

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
It was strange that Solaria and Moon didn't suffer any consequences for their actions for creating someone like Mina but the Magic High Commission gets erased from existence. So, the death of the MHC mean the Butterfly family doesn't hate monsters anymore?

Oct 26, 2017
It was strange that Solaria and Moon didn't suffer any consequences for their actions for creating someone like Mina but the Magic High Commission gets erased from existence. So, the death of the MHC mean the Butterfly family doesn't hate monsters anymore?
I mean, Solaria's dead so there wasn't really going to be any punishment to her.

Moon's the only living queen who had any reservations against monsters.

Oct 27, 2017
Going through this thread again reminds me why this season felt so disappointing:
  • First third was either Eclipsa becoming queen or the people of Mewni being stupid, nothing else, and it was either boring or irritating to watch.
  • Second third was a bunch of romance stuff that ultimately felt awkward.
  • Final third had a lot of out of character interactions for the cast and so much of it felt rushed and underdeveloped in terms of what happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Solaria being okay with her daughter who married a monster just seem out of character.

Its possible she saw the error of her acts after she died so long ago as she was helping with the spell and seemed upset at Mina 🤷

And being fair baby Meteora is pretty damn adorable.

these revelations happening at the last minute is where its rushed as it would be nice to see more interactions before that.

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Finished the show, but was Moon actually "diet racist"?

In the last season it seemed her new kingdom really hated monsters. When Star came, the guard was "Oh. I thought you were monsters." Moon didnt really want to interact with monsters after everything. She used Mina and she most likely knew that Mina would want to kill Monsters. When Star came to visit her before, she was still against Monsters when Star told her something about them.

Then in the ending she just got away with it and Star was like "You are still my mom." And no really consequences because of that.

OP
OP
Psxphile

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, thought this bump was going to be about Daron's recent AMA on reddit.

Finished the show, but was Moon actually "diet racist"?

In the last season it seemed her new kingdom really hated monsters. When Star came, the guard was "Oh. I thought you were monsters." Moon didnt really want to interact with monsters after everything. She used Mina and she most likely knew that Mina would want to kill Monsters. When Star came to visit her before, she was still against Monsters when Star told her something about them.

Then in the ending she just got away with it and Star was like "You are still my mom." And no really consequences because of that.
Well, Moon's mother was murdered by rebelling monsters. So there's some ill will there for sure. "Diet racist" sounds about right.

She aided Mina thinking she could just undo it all after she got her kingdom back from Eclipsa, she wasn't specifically out to harm monsters unlike, say, Solaria.