• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I liked the ending.

Magic can't really die lol that stuff all comes back five minutes after Star and Marco accidentally do some stuff they aren't supposed to do.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want more dammit :(

I do like the ending, as much as I didn't want it to actually end. I'm glad we didn't get a cliffhanger at the very least.
its an absurd cliffhanger. i dont know how you see the final minutes of that show as any kind of a conclusion given that the rest of the show was entirely about worldbuilding and its characters
I liked the ending.

Magic can't really die lol that stuff all comes back five minutes after Star and Marco accidentally do some stuff they aren't supposed to do.
if that was the implication, it should have been shown. it wasn't. it hasnt been said by the creators that it's what happened either. in fact, very much the opposite.

a bad conclusion is not saved by a leap in logic that has no factual backing to it.

Ending was fine, I think people were more upset it ended at all...
  • moon takes a strange, wild character turn to up the stakes for no goddamn reason. all it does is to make her a worse character and with so little run time left, she never has to really think about it, especially because the action she does to solve it isn't driven by her.
  • the ending is fueled by a childish tantrum that star takes that for some reason, is justified by the other characters in a way i find incredibly poor because it wasn't like magic was completely and unambiguously awful. magic has been shown to heal characters, preserve them, stop villains, etc.
  • toffee's true intentions and backgrounds, a major mystery, mostly go unresolved with a vague background as to what maybe they were. the show implies it was to end magic... but is that really what him corrupting magic was? what were his motivations to even do such a thing?
  • multiple characters end in a magic-fueled genocide that they have no choice in.
  • the main villian of the final arc isn't stopped and is implied to continue being awful.
  • star and marco get together after three whole seasons of being a toxic, shitty relationship that was implied to be driven by a magic plot device known as the blood moon, thus making a lot of their interactions that can be seen as romantic fairly suspect. the show continues to put them together with other characters who do their best to make it work and are rewarded with awful shitty behavior from both star and marco that is deserved. these two are awful characters and making their romantic relationship both the crux of the ending and giving it so little time to actually develop in a way the show sees as sincere falls fucking flat.
  • many things that were hinted at (tentacle arm, marco's dream, toffee, hell even marco's stab wound in the final episode) were never paid off in a season often filled with completely nonsensical filler.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
let's not forget how the seasons post-book often brought stuff from the book with no explanation to the audience that hadn't read it, but then the stuff from the book that seemed like it would be a bigger deal (like seth) was never brought up in lieu of a conclusion that takes the absurd conclusion of "magic = bad!" and runs with it to defeat the main threat and many of star's own allies in the process

if there was some grander statement like with the animorphs ending which also ends with a mostly tragic ending for all of the characters, i could maybe see their point but its attempting to be framed more unambiguously happy. characters that would die as a result of this say they're fine with it even though it doesn't really make sense. the cost of war is never reflected on, as ponyhead fills us in on characters living happy lives as the result of this and the bad ones that died are shown to be in a world that doesn't give a shit about their lack of existence in the story anymore.

all of this takes backseat to a romantic relationship that never worked to begin with. you really think star and marco are supposed to be a happy couple together when all of their past relationships died thanks to a lack of communication of what they wanted? they're framed like soul mates but much of that context is from the blood moon plot point that according to this show, is false and doesn't matter.

star killed hundreds if not thousands of innocent characters that relied on magic to survive. the message is not that star is an awful person for doing this and should have thought this out more, it's that so she can get together with her shitty awful boyfriend who can't communicate and elevated pretty much every woman in his life on a pedestal with one exception, who he treated the absolute shittiest. he didn't learn and won't have the time to. good thing things went star's way, it sure didn't have bad repercussions for everyone else (except it did, we literally see monsters attacking innocent people in the merged earth and mewni world and a lack of magic killed all those characters).

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Blood Moon curse was complete garbage.
just about everything about the starco relationship is toxic trash. both of them are simps and never process why their past relationships failed beyond their partners just not being star/marco. most of it was fueled by the blood moon but we even see from episodes past that being broken they hold absurd expectations about each other. the show never has the time to even acknowledge that they probably can't fulfill their own expectations for each other because they only get together in the penultimate episode.

your relationship with a person changes when you're in a romantic relationship and not just endlessly pining for them. the show never bothered with this for some reason, probably because they found it weirdly hard to write a couple that's completely absorbed with each other that they miss how that might end up being a problem.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
its an absurd cliffhanger. i dont know how you see the final minutes of that show as any kind of a conclusion given that the rest of the show was entirely about worldbuilding and its characters

if that was the implication, it should have been shown. it wasn't. it hasnt been said by the creators that it's what happened either. in fact, very much the opposite.

a bad conclusion is not saved by a leap in logic that has no factual backing to it.

• moon takes a strange, wild character turn to up the stakes for no goddamn reason. all it does is to make her a worse character and with so little run time left, she never has to really think about it, especially because the action she does to solve it isn't driven by her.
  • the ending is fueled by a childish tantrum that star takes that for some reason, is justified by the other characters in a way i find incredibly poor because it wasn't like magic was completely and unambiguously awful. magic has been shown to heal characters, preserve them, stop villains, etc.
  • toffee's true intentions and backgrounds, a major mystery, mostly go unresolved with a vague background as to what maybe they were. the show implies it was to end magic... but is that really what him corrupting magic was? what were his motivations to even do such a thing?
  • multiple characters end in a magic-fueled genocide that they have no choice in.
  • the main villian of the final arc isn't stopped and is implied to continue being awful.
  • star and marco get together after three whole seasons of being a toxic, shitty relationship that was implied to be driven by a magic plot device known as the blood moon, thus making a lot of their interactions that can be seen as romantic fairly suspect. the show continues to put them together with other characters who do their best to make it work and are rewarded with awful shitty behavior from both star and marco that is deserved. these two are awful characters and making their romantic relationship both the crux of the ending and giving it so little time to actually develop in a way the show sees as sincere falls fucking flat.
  • many things that were hinted at (tentacle arm, marco's dream, toffee, hell even marco's stab wound in the final episode) were never paid off in a season often filled with completely nonsensical filler.

Lmao yeah let's bring logic into Star Princess, sounds good. It's magic. It's a show about a magical princess. Let's use common sense.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao yeah let's bring logic into Star Princess, sounds good. It's magic. It's a show about a magical princess. Let's use common sense.
literally using this show's own logic to reach my conclusions. the show's magical, yes, but it's not just a random series of events stitched together into a series.

i mean shit, if you don't even wanna bother with an actual rebuttal, why bother responding?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I've finally had the chance to watch Star vs. The Forces of Evil on Disney+ and I ultimately loved the show because the dynamic between Star and Marco is what makes the show so enjoyable. They were the foundation of the show to a fault.

Most people went through all the things that went wrong with the final season and I more or less agree with everything... But I loved Starco too much to feel disappointed and underwhelmed with the finale of Star vs. The Forces of Evil.

I will say this, Disney+ is the perfect platform to continue the Star vs. The Forces of Evil series be it a prequel focusing on Moon or a Disney+ original that continues after the open-ending of the final shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I've finally had the chance to watch Star vs. The Forces of Evil on Disney+ and I ultimately loved the show because the dynamic between Star and Marco is what makes the show so enjoyable. They were the foundation of the show to a fault.

Most people went through all the things that went wrong with the final season and I more or less agree with everything... But I loved Starco too much to feel disappointed and underwhelmed with the finale of Star vs. The Forces of Evil.

I will say this, Disney+ is the perfect platform to continue the Star vs. The Forces of Evil series be it a prequel focusing on Moon or a Disney+ original that continues after the open-ending of the final shot.

There doesn't seem to be much call for more Star Vs these days.