• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The "mystery" for why this looks good isn't much of a mystery people
https://www.ign.com/articles/andor-no-stagecraft-disney-star-wars?amp=1

"Starting with the first season of The Mandalorian, LucasFilm has used a new technology called StageCraft which utilizes an immersive CGI screen that wraps around the set to create the faraway worlds of Star Wars. This technology has been used for The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan along with other Disney Plus shows. But Andor will buck this trend.

"We haven't been working with Stagecraft at all for our show, no," says Andor executive producer Sanne Wohlenberg in an interview with IGN at Star Wars Celebration. "It is the first Star Wars show for Disney Plus that has not been leaning into that technology.""

"Wohlenberg says that the decision to shoot on camera was simply a result of Tony Gilroy's writing, which didn't lend itself to StageCraft. Instead, Andor will utilize "as much on camera" filming, combining location shooting and backlot sets.

Andor star Diego Luna chimed in on the different shooting styles, citing his work on Rogue One which he says "was allowed to be different and we kind of have the same look."

"We can be different," Luna says. "Rogue One in a way was kind of an homage to the original Star Wars, a New Hope, and that kind of very theatrical way of shooting where stuff is actually there and you can interact with that. And I think we had a lot of that on this one and it's beautiful as an actor to react to real stuff and to play the game with tons of actors.""

"Wohlenberg says that the decision to shoot on camera was simply a result of Tony Gilroy's writing, which didn't lend itself to StageCraft. Instead, Andor will utilize "as much on camera" filming, combining location shooting and backlot sets."

Finally some good fuckin' food.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you spend more on Andor (which is also longer) than Obi-Wan?

Lucasfilm are fucking weird. We live in a universe where a prequel show to Rogue One got a drastically bigger budget than the highly anticipated Obi-Wan show. Jesus fucking christ what kind of reality do we live in.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmmm... you may be right. Pretty good look-a-like for Terence Stamp.

That would be interesting.
Wonder if they approached him to be in the show and he declined. It would've been good consistency if they got him to be in it even though he's 84.

Also if it is Valorum in the trailer the character certainly looks younger than when he was in Phantom Menace.
2ZwOoez.jpg

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great to see.

Rogue One was the best Disney era Star Wars movie by far imo. Can't wait to get more of that.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Looks way better than the other shows. I see a lack of sand and That's a bonus. #Annywasright

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine making a damn Andor show the one all the money and effort goes into, oh Lucasfilm never change haha. I'm gonna wait until I've seen some episodes before I start calling it "prestige" television.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Love the tone of that trailer, maybe I'm mis-recalling rogue one but at first glance this one feels even more... authentic(?) than that did. I know thats impossible to deduce from a trailer, just my impression

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Imagine making a damn Andor show the one all the money and effort goes into, oh Lucasfilm never change haha. I'm gonna wait until I've seen some episodes before I start calling it "prestige" television.
Rogue One is the least controversial of Disney's Star Wars films. Tons of people would say its their favorite among the new films, it was critically well-received, and there was no extremely vocal online hate-mob making hours-long videos about how it ruined their childhood.

Of course it's the show that gets the most money.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Contrary to a lots of people here, I really enjoyed Obi-Wan. Loved the show, was happy to see the characters back and the final duel was really great.

But yeah, clearly, there is some discrepancy in quality there and that make me sad.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Rogue One is the least controversial of Disney's Star Wars films. Tons of people would say its their favorite among the new films, it was critically well-received, and there was no extremely vocal online hate-mob making hours-long videos about how it ruined their childhood.

Of course it's the show that gets the most money.

I disagree. I think Obiwan should have had the biggest budget. Giving it to Andor is comical to me.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I've seen the first four and it's the most serious, grounded thing Star Wars has ever done. It feels more like an English-made espionage thriller than Star Wars. It is totally unconcerned with giving you fan service moments, and instead wants to delve into what it's like for the bit players in this universe to wake up every morning and go about their day. This is not space opera. It's more space drama. It's slow, deliberate, complex (for Star Wars) and asks the viewer to do some work. It actually humanizes roles that are traditionally cartoon evil in the SW universe. It's attempting to tell a grown up story, and I think a lot of fans are going to haaaate it. Both Gilroy's presence is all over this thing. It's got that cinema verite vibe that the core Bourne movies had going for them. Puts you in the world like never before. Whether the world can hold up to that level of scrutiny is up for debate, but it is fascinating.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I've seen the first four and it's the most serious, grounded thing Star Wars has ever done. It feels more like an English-made espionage thriller than Star Wars. It is totally unconcerned with giving you fan service moments, and instead wants to delve into what it's like for the bit players in this universe to wake up every morning and go about their day. This is not space opera. It's more space drama. It's slow, deliberate, complex (for Star Wars) and asks the viewer to do some work. It actually humanizes roles that are traditionally cartoon evil in the SW universe. Its attempting to tell a grown up story, and I think a lot of fans are going to haaaate it.

Damn I'm getting hyped.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I disagree. I think Obiwan should have had the biggest budget. Giving it to Andor is comical to me.
Oh, yeah, everyone loves those movies that feature Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan.

They definitely haven't been a laughingstock for decades, and the foundation of a generation of angry internet film criticism.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Any idea when exactly this takes place in relation to Rebels and other shows?
At least the start of the show will be not long after RotS since in a previous teaser there were P2 Clone Troopers.

Andor and Rebels both start about 5 years before A New Hope, with Andor leading directly into Rogue One by the end of Season 2.
Which means it's possible a lot of events that happen in Rebels could cross over to Andor. The multiple dealings with Saw, finding a Rebel base and Mothma especially I'd imagine.

The stuff with the clones could likely be flashbacks, he was born on a Separatist planet. And that could be right after Order 66 happens.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the first four and it's the most serious, grounded thing Star Wars has ever done. It feels more like an English-made espionage thriller than Star Wars. It is totally unconcerned with giving you fan service moments, and instead wants to delve into what it's like for the bit players in this universe to wake up every morning and go about their day. This is not space opera. It's more space drama. It's slow, deliberate, complex (for Star Wars) and asks the viewer to do some work. It actually humanizes roles that are traditionally cartoon evil in the SW universe. It's attempting to tell a grown up story, and I think a lot of fans are going to haaaate it. Both Gilroy's presence is all over this thing. It's got that cinema verite vibe that the core Bourne movies had going for them. Puts you in the world like never before. Whether the world can hold up to that level of scrutiny is up for debate, but it is fascinating.
Yeeeeess. Alot of the team on this also worked on big BBC shows. So it feeling English makes sense.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

if anything, as somewhat of a disillusioned SW fan this is exactly what I want lol

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, yeah, everyone loves those movies that feature Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan.

They definitely haven't been a laughingstock for decades, and the foundation of a generation of angry internet film criticism.

Conceptually people were really excited for Obiwan. Ewan was always extremely popular with SW fans. I Think Revenge of the Sith is generally pretty popular. I bet more people like Revenge of the Sith than Rogue One so I don't follow your logic. I do know that Rogue One has some mega superfans though so I best not challenge it's greatness. I hope Andor lives up to your expectations. There has been so much bad SW D+ stuff I gotta see this show before saying how great it is.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
It's the series you heard a lot of 'why? Who wants this?' about, but the team behind it is ace and it's clear Lucasfilm threw a lot of budget at them. Has been the one i've been looking forward to the most since it was anounced. This is probably the first Star Wars 'prestige' show, and it shows.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
It looks so beautifully made and I like the Feast for Crows sort of angle.

It's also the same old rebellion against the same old empire in the same old war.

I know it has to please too many people to do what I want it to, but I'd love the series to just go off into the universe and show us what else is out there in other places, other times.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
also 1.) totally surprised by Saw's appearance, haven't really kept with the casting of this show so that was a nice surprise and 2.) they moved the date of the Premiere didn't they, I remember reading August in the last trailer.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
this sounds fucking incredible

I'm so hyped for this lol

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
That was an excellent trailer.

Have been a long-time fan of Diego Luna, so I'm always excited to see him in big productions.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

don't hype me up man. It's still a long way untill september 21

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Lucasfilm are fucking weird. We live in a universe where a prequel show to Rogue One got a drastically bigger budget than the highly anticipated Obi-Wan show. Jesus fucking christ what kind of reality do we live in.

We need to stop blaming the budget. It's about the choices made by the creators and the skill of the people working on it pure and simple. Nothing about that Leia chase scene is down to bad budget. The budget didn't force the goons to comically chase a small child or to have it shot/cut so poorly. With talent and skill you can shoot a good looking chase scene with an iPhone. They were just out in the normal Earth lookin woods, not some elaborate space set. The budget didn't write cliche dialogue lines either.

Another for thread of things that make you say "LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO"

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Conceptually people were really excited for Obiwan. Ewan was always extremely popular with SW fans. I Think Revenge of the Sith is generally pretty popular. I bet more people like Revenge of the Sith than Rogue One so I don't follow your logic. I do know that Rogue One has some mega superfans though so I best not challenge it's greatness. I hope Andor lives up to your expectations. There has been so much bad SW D+ stuff I gotta see this show before saying how great it is.
I don't have any investment in it either way, I'm just talking about corporate Disney's point of view.

They have a film that grossed over a billion, with good reviews, that there has never been any backlash against. Couple that with a Mexican lead (a demo Disney is definitely pursuing), and the classic "Rebels vs Empire" match-up that they always seem to want to go for, and you hit a whole bunch of "this will make us money" points when you're pitching this thing. I'm absolutely not surprised it got a lot of money thrown at it.

Personally, this trailer shows off exactly the kind of Star Wars content I'm looking for, and I absolutely hated the writing in Obi-Wan, so a bigger budget wouldn't have helped it at all.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017

As somebody who loves The Last Jedi, I'm not sure there's anything you could write that would get more excited and affirm my feelings that this will be my favorite Star Wars show.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any investment in it either way, I'm just talking about corporate Disney's point of view.

They have a film that grossed over a billion, with good reviews, that there has never been any backlash against. Couple that with a Mexican lead (a demo Disney is definitely pursuing), and the classic "Rebels vs Empire" match-up that they always seem to want to go for, and you hit a whole bunch of "this will make us money" points when you're pitching this thing. I'm absolutely not surprised it got a lot of money thrown at it.

I know about the accolades of Rogue One I just don't think people care about it that much anymore. Regardless we'll see instantly whether it's bigger than Obiwan in popularity. Obiwan had the biggest D+ debut yet so if Andor beats that then I'm completely wrong and have underestimated how popular Rogue One was in compared to Ewan's Obiwan.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I know about the accolades of Rogue One I just don't think people care about it that much anymore. Regardless we'll see instantly whether it's bigger than Obiwan in popularity. Obiwan had the biggest D+ debut yet so if Andor beats that then I'm completely wrong and have underestimated how popular Rogue One was in compared to Ewan's Obiwan.
Its not going to beat Obi Wan in popularity. But I prefer LF giving Gilroy a bigger budget than Joby Harold. A bigger budget would not have saved Obi Wan. That was pure script and direction woes.