• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the first 15k points by playing 1 hour. Those class bonuses help alot, atleast in the beginning. I can imagine the subsequent characters being a pain to unlock for sure...

will go for Vader first as it's the most expensive at 60k

Vader seems like the absolute no-brainer first purchase. His ranged Choke seems way overpowered considering that it both hurts and immobilizes enemies. People think Kylo's freeze is OP and all that does is immobilize.

I much prefer Luke as a character but his abilities are pretty weak I think.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up taking this game off my Amazon Wishlist today. I got the first BF as a Christmas present and was massively disappointed, especially as I had no one I knew to play it with. After a chaotic and poor beta experience and everything I've seen and read since, I simply do not want this game anymore. I'll just stick with the X-Wing Miniatures Game for now.

DICE made Battlefield 4, a game where teamwork is key and vehicles can just be driven without cost and you're rewarded properly for your teamwork and progression is just great. How did they mess this up so badly twice?!

Only 6 years left in EA's exclusivity deal. It'll fly by.

DICE must do what their corporate masters command. And EA wants "recurrent revenue" from all of its titles now that they know they can get away with it.

Make no mistake, pretty much all EA games will have some form of this crap going forward, even the next Battlefield game. When it becomes normalized like this, it's almost their responsibility to their shareholders that they exploit this avenue of legal revenue. No amount of push-back will change that short of legislation, because our monkey brains are too easy to manipulate to effectively fight this off forever.

I really wanted to like this game, but I won't reward EA for this BS. Enjoy the game for what it is I guess.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Vader seems like the absolute no-brainer first purchase. His ranged Choke seems way overpowered considering that it both hurts and immobilizes enemies. People think Kylo's freeze is OP and all that does is immobilize.

sounds good :D and i was happy to see Lando and Kylo Ren unlocked from the start.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will give you that it is misleading to say that 40 hour number for the first hero but every subsequent hero you will not have the front-loaded economy of easy challenges/milestones rewarding you with a bunch of credits. Once those one time rewards end or you get to 500 kills that barely reward you anything more than the 50 kills people will realize how slow it is. That's really the deceptive part about all this and where the confusion comes from. Which is why people went out there and did the math. They've made this entire thing complicated and convoluted on purpose because of what it is. Each person will run out of patience at their own pace. Some will see credits dry up and then go play modes they have no interest to do the easy challenges to try and speed the credit gain up. Others will be completely fine AFK'ing in Starfighter or whatever other mode they feel like they can get away with it to try and speed up the credit gain. Then there are those that will see the trickle of credits and either drop the game or whip out the credit card.

BTW I highly suggest if you are going to spend credits opening crates, just buy the 2200 crate for the crafting mats. They will be more abundantly useful than the fractions of credits you will be getting from dupes in the 4000 crate at double the price.

The "deception" that you mentioned definitely has some truth to it. If EA/DICE do not add any more challenges to the game post-launch, the 40 hour grind could certainly become a reality. I know I won't be very happy if that happens, but I've also noticed that their DLC plans mention additional challenges. I just think it's a bit too early to tell how this will pan out in the long run, but you're absolutely right for now. As it stands, a very active player could potentially blast through all the available challenges and be left with an annoying grind if more options aren't added.

That's really the whole story and I hope that it gets across to people so they can make an educated decision. I'm not telling anyone to either buy or boycott the game, but just to know all the information before making either decision.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
The "deception" that you mentioned definitely has some truth to it. If EA/DICE do not add any more challenges to the game post-launch, the 40 hour grind could certainly become a reality. I know I won't be very happy if that happens, but I've also noticed that their DLC plans mention additional challenges. I just think it's a bit too early to tell how this will pan out in the long run, but you're absolutely right for now. As it stands, a very active player could potentially blast through all the available challenges and be left with an annoying grind if more options aren't added.

That's really the whole story and I hope that it gets across to people so they can make an educated decision. I'm not telling anyone to either buy or boycott the game, but just to know all the information before making either decision.

I think if EA had any bold plans that would ease the grind they'd be out ahead of the shitstorm shouting them to anyone who'd listen at this point.

That all we've had is (heavily downvoted) bullshit is very telling.

The game is so much fun which makes the decision to milk us hard even more aggravating. A fair system (Maybe akin to Overwatch) would still have netted them stupid amounts of money without pissing off most of the player base.

Hopefully some very important discussions are happening now at EA. Just look at me play the game badly and yet still have fun (Heavy 4ever)

Redria

Oct 28, 2017

I thought Vader seemed pretty weak, at least from what I've seen so far. Not being able to do anything while choking people gets him murdered in no time at all, whereas at least Kylo can at least defend himself while using his abilities. Not sure if I was using the grip wrong or something but I'll give Vader another try.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just curious, has the negative reaction or news concerning the progression / unlock or the predatory lootbox practices stopping you guys from getting this game?
I cancelled my pre-order. I am super sad because I was looking forward to the SP ._. but I don't want to support EA right now. If they change something I'll jump in.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just chiming in to say it looks a lot better than the beta. Cinematic shite disabled and using hdr.
It lacks the polish of the last game tho.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think the whole "40 hours to unlock a character" thing is probably bogus......I mean, it was already kind of disingenuous to quote the figure needed for the most expensive characters, when there are ones that cost significantly less.

I racked up nearly 10K credits just playing Starfighter for a few hours yesterday. I've probably earned around 20K in total and still have a couple hours left on EA Access. When I get the full game on PS4 I will probably forgo cashing in challenges just so I can get a better idea of what the earn rate looks like.

ronin_cse

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I think the whole "40 hours to unlock a character" thing is probably bogus......I mean, it was already kind of disingenuous to quote the figure needed for the most expensive characters, when there are ones that cost significantly less.

I racked up nearly 10K credits just playing Starfighter for a few hours yesterday. I've probably earned around 20K in total and still have a couple hours left on EA Access. When I get the full game on PS4 I will probably forgo cashing in challenges just so I can get a better idea of what the earn rate looks like.

Well that's still like 20k credits in 10 hours, if we assume you will continue to get them at that rate it's still 30 hours for enough credits for Vader. Plus these are the characters that people want to play which is why they are the issue here

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if EA had any bold plans that would ease the grind they'd be out ahead of the shitstorm shouting them to anyone who'd listen at this point.

That all we've had is (heavily downvoted) bullshit is very telling.

The game is so much fun which makes the decision to milk us hard even more aggravating. A fair system (Maybe akin to Overwatch) would still have netted them stupid amounts of money without pissing off most of the player base.

Hopefully some very important discussions are happening now at EA. Just look at me play the game badly and yet still have fun (Heavy 4ever)

I'm glad to see you're enjoying the game! I haven't played since the beta, but I'm eagerly awaiting my chance to play the full game on friday.

As for EA's communications, I can't deny that their PR response is just that, PR. That being said, OP has that picture that outlines additional content/challenges throughout all of December. I feel like the only thing they haven't communicated is what comes after that, and whether or not we get anything before/after that "season" of content.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I thought Vader seemed pretty weak, at least from what I've seen so far. Not being able to do anything while choking people gets him murdered in no time at all, whereas at least Kylo can at least defend himself while using his abilities. Not sure if I was using the grip wrong or something but I'll give Vader another try.

In HvV or hell even in Galactic Assault when an enemy Hero approaches. You can just hold them while your team blasts them to shreds. Vader is really good if you play him defensively.

ShadowkillXNA

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are psn digital pre-orders supposed to unlock tonight ? I'm confused because my ps4 is telling me the game unlocks in three days eight hours.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Regarding mouse settings

Is this more trouble than its worth and I should be using a controller? Or will using a mouse let me be much more precise than a controller would ever be?

There are 3 setting and I'm confused on the last 2

1. starfighter sensitivity - simply mouse sensitivity, I get this

2. starfighter mouse response - so the faster I mouse the mouse the faster the ship turns? OR the distance traveled on the mouse correlates to how fast the ship turns?

3. starfighter mouse precision - The smaller precise movements will be aided?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In HvV or hell even in Galactic Assault when an enemy Hero approaches. You can just hold them while your team blasts them to shreds. Vader is really good if you play him defensively.

I feel like Vader has a way better Star Card loadout than Kylo (or Luke for that matter).

Vader can increase duration of Choke by 50%, and increase the damage of Choke by 50% (if he chokes 2 or more people at a time). Focused Rage seems like a great ability for melting other heroes.....and you can extend its duration and reduce damage taken with cards.

Most of Vader's best cards are pure damage dealing boosts, whereas Luke and Kylo get stuff like increased range or increase area of effect. While those things have their uses, I cannot see myself ever thinking "Gee, I should use my really valuable and limited crafting supplies so that the range of Force Push is extended by 7 yards".

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Loot boxes aside, this has been my problem with service games. I don't have endless amounts of free time and I'll have even less once the wife and I have kids in a few years. It stinks to feel like I haven't accomplished anything in certain multiplayer games because I don't have hundreds if not thousands of hours for it. It's been pushing me more and more towards single-player focused games.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

About what I expected since they carried over practically the same economy as their F2P mobile game Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes.

I feel like Vader has a way better Star Card loadout than Kylo (or Luke for that matter).

Vader can increase duration of Choke by 50%, and increase the damage of Choke by 50% (if he chokes 2 or more people at a time). Focused Rage seems like a great ability for melting other heroes.....and you can extend its duration and reduce damage taken with cards.

Most of Vader's best cards are pure damage dealing boosts, whereas Luke and Kylo get stuff like increased range or increase area of effect. While those things have their uses, I cannot see myself ever thinking "Gee, I should use my really valuable and limited crafting supplies so that the range of Force Push is extended by 7 yards".

Yeah Vader seems like a boss in all situations where as anything involving force pushes really only shine near edges. Though Yoda does have an ability that mitigates all Force powers used on him.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have always found this line of attack to be dumb and disingenuous. Why do you need to have every Star Card at Level 4? Why is that something anyone would want or seek out? It just feels like "Let's set a ridiculous and unrealistic goal and then get outraged about how long it would theoretically take to achieve it!"

It reminds me of when people would add up the price of every cosmetic item in some game and then trumpet "OMG you have to spend $576 to get all the content in this game!"

Redria

Oct 28, 2017

Blimey. I haven't had a chance to look at the star card upgrades for the heroes, didn't want to use a lot of my trial time up in the menus. You are right, with those upgrades I can see Vader being a beast against heroes.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Loot boxes aside, this has been my problem with service games. I don't have endless amounts of free time and I'll have even less once the wife and I have kids in a few years. It stinks to feel like I haven't accomplished anything in certain multiplayer games because I don't have hundreds if not thousands of hours for it. It's been pushing me more and more towards single-player focused games.

Yeah but you're not the target audience of this model: they're fishin' for whales.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Will buy when it's cheaper. Fun game and I hope and think they will change the credit payouts to make it a little faster then it is now.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blimey. I haven't had a chance to look at the star card upgrades for the heroes, didn't want to use a lot of my trial time up in the menus. You are right, with those upgrades I can see Vader being a beast against heroes.
Haha, I have probably wasted like an hour of my EA Access time flipping through Star Cards. I wish there was a website that listed them all out so I didn't have to boot into the game every time I'm curious about a class or characters card loadout.

I think it's probably a good idea to look over all the Star Cards before you jump into the game, so you have a good idea of what upgrades you want to be working towards (to the extent that they can be worked for).

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I have always found this line of attack to be dumb and disingenuous. Why do you need to have every Star Card at Level 4? Why is that something anyone would want or seek out? It just feels like "Let's set a ridiculous and unrealistic goal and then get outraged about how long it would theoretically take to achieve it!"

It reminds me of when people would add up the price of every cosmetic item in some game and then trumpet "OMG you have to spend $576 to get all the content in this game!"

Ok then just half the star cards 2250 hours. Is that more acceptable to you? Or a quarter of them at 1175? That better? It's to illustrate the point at how absolutely freaking absurd the economy is when they say you can earn everything for "Free". The majority of people aren't even going to get 3 Epic Starcards on every class/hero/vehicle.

Haha, I have probably wasted like an hour of my EA Access time flipping through Star Cards. I wish there was a website that listed them all out so I didn't have to boot into the game every time I'm curious about a class or characters card loadout.

I think it's probably a good idea to look over all the Star Cards before you jump into the game, so you have a good idea of what upgrades you want to be working towards (to the extent that they can be worked for).

List of Class Stuff List of Hero Stuff List of Starfighter Stuff

Oct 27, 2017
I am definitely torn on picking this title up as more info comes out. I am a huge star wars fan and loved the last one despite its shortcomings. I defended parts of the last title, but also had no problem calling out its shortcomings. This game I was defending until over the weekend and got to really know more about the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok then just half the star cards 2250 hours. Is that more acceptable to you? Or a quarter of them at 1175? That better? It's to illustrate the point at how absolutely freaking absurd the economy is when they say you can earn everything for "Free". The majority of people aren't even going to get 3 Epic Starcards on every class/hero/vehicle.

List of Class Stuff List of Hero Stuff

Exactly, I was hoping he would figure out the context on his own.

Thanks for the links by the way, I will save them in hopes this 'grind' turns around for the better down the road.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017

I just dived straight in like an idiot, I didn't even know I could actually craft cards using crafting points until I had about 700 of them. I'll take my sweet time and do a bit of research come Friday, think I only have about an hour left on my trial sadly.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. At a $60 premium.
I mean, the game undoubtedly cost several times the amount of money to create, and the revenue from microtransactions alone likely would not have been enough to recoup development costs.

I wish someone would make a thread for this game that details how the currency system works, and explains that the whole 40 hour estimate for unlocking a hero only applies to a small few heroes, and also is based off of one person's dataset, and that there are other equally credible refutations (ie: any single person who has played the game and averaged their time out in a similar, basic fashion) to the data presented. The rage this game is getting is pretty unjust and is shaping up similar to the Shadow of Mordor situation, where it released and no one had qualms anywhere near as large as what people raged about pre-launch.

Anyone on the fence due to recent stories should probably just wait a couple weeks and see if things turn out anywhere near as bad as the internet hate machine is making them out to be.

Also, if NO ONE can unlock even a single hero without playing 30-40 hours of the game, do you really think people will be okay with it? Do you think they'll actually stick with that idea? They don't profit off of that. You can't buy heroes with real money. It just pisses people off. I don't think they're trying to balance it so that it takes 30-40 hours to unlock even a single hero. I think they'll end up tuning things such that it doesn't take so long. They truly are not THAT stupid.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number of hours is not particularly meaningful because it's in pursuit of a goal nobody actually cares about. How many hours would it take to get every gun in Borderlands? How many hours would it take to max out every class/profession in World of Warcraft? How many hours does it take to get to Level 99 in Final Fantasy? Why does it matter that some completely arbitrary goal takes a really long time?

To demonstrate the absurdity or hopelessness of the economy you need examples that people can actually relate to. Why would I want 3 Epic cards for every single unit? That's an insane goal that has nothing to do with most people's playstyle. I'm going to boost up the characters and vehicles I love, and ignore the rest.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me its really insane that they essentially grabbed an F2P P2W progression scheme and put it into an AAA title. That is a very, very scary precedent and you can bet other companies are watching the outcome of this situation like a hawk. If things go well for EA then the floodgates are open and every upcoming multiplayer game will cash in.

I did like the idea of increased progression first which I felt the first game lacked, but not like this. I don't want loot crates in games like RDR2. I won't be purchasing BF2.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Even if it's like 1000 hours, it's still insane. There's really not any defending it.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

List of Class Stuff List of Hero Stuff List of Starfighter Stuff

The vast majority of people aren't even going to play every class, hero, ship anyway, so yes, it's a disingenuous argument. People will pick their favorites, like in every other game, and they will work on those. If you think it's going to take forever for the average player to max out the stuff they actually play you haven't played the game.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the game undoubtedly cost several times the amount of money to create, and the revenue from microtransactions alone likely would not have been enough to recoup development costs.

if the game cost 150 million to make, and had 30 million unique users monthly, (the first game sold 12 million copies @ 60$ within the first 2 months), 30 million users monthly playing for free is a conservative amount, especially in the beginning

all it would need is each person to spend 5$ and it would make its money back within just the first month, some people will spend 0$, and some people will spend 50$ thus making up for 9 others who spent nothing.

the game would easily make its money back, if not in the first month, then in the second

so i have no idea what would make you think its unlikely that they wouldn't make their money back lifetime, did you go through the numbers at all before you posted that? cuz there must be a kink somewhere im not seeing

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I wish someone would make a thread for this game that details how the currency system works, and explains that the whole 40 hour estimate for unlocking a hero only applies to a small few heroes, and also is based off of one person's dataset, and that there are other equally credible refutations (ie: any single person who has played the game and averaged their time out in a similar, basic fashion) to the data presented. The rage this game is getting is pretty unjust and is shaping up similar to the Shadow of Mordor situation, where it released and no one had qualms anywhere near as large as what people raged about pre-launch.

Anyone on the fence due to recent stories should probably just wait a couple weeks and see if things turn out anywhere near as bad as the internet hate machine is making them out to be.

Also, if NO ONE can unlock even a single hero without playing 30-40 hours of the game, do you really think people will be okay with it? Do you think they'll actually stick with that idea? They don't profit off of that. You can't buy heroes with real money. It just pisses people off. I don't think they're trying to balance it so that it takes 30-40 hours to unlock even a single hero. I think they'll end up tuning things such that it doesn't take so long. They truly are not THAT stupid.

You might want to read what I am about to post bellow. It is a standard 'manipulation' tactic used in business as well as politics. And an admin who has some insight on how these tick, agreed with this 'leaker' and said it is to the 'T' what is happening.

In support of the cause, I wanted to post this fantastic explanation of EA's PR strategy has been and will likely continue to be from the battlefront subreddit. The OP works in electronic media PR. It's obvious what they've been up to, but interesting to hear it from an inside perspective (if this person's position is to be believed). Credit goes to user, Feminymphist.

"Here is some information. Make whatever decisions you want regarding it.

EA spends tens of thousands of man-hours focus testing and doing market research on the optimum way to wring money out of your wallet. This means that one or two days (or weeks or months) of complaining will not get them to change their mind regarding the nature of the progression system. They will not truly "fix" it because they believe that it's working as intended and their accountants and marketing guys will tell them that it is. A certain amount of players are supposed to get sick of it and stop playing. That's built-in to the calculations, like when Wal-Mart assumes that there will be a certain amount of shoplifting.

That said, they understand that they have a clusterfuck on their hands, so since they are not interested in fixing it, they are going to use a technique referred to as "making the outrage outdated." This was very clearly what they did with the beta. The beta had a great deal of backlash and instead of fixing anything, they "made changes." The effect of these changes were negligible but it didn't matter because all the articles written about the flaws of the beta and the complaints by users became outdated and replaced by articles and comments about how they were making "changes." This allows them to control the narrative of their product without actually losing any money. The fact that the changes didn't help and potentially made the game worse didn't matter.

(Ubisoft did this in a much more elegant way with Assassin's Creed: Origins by the way - they prevented you from buying loot boxes with real money, knowing there would be a backlash, instead allowing you to purchase the currency needed for loot boxes with real money. The ONLY things that accomplished was allowing them to do interviews saying that you couldn't buy loot boxes with real money during pre-release and make people who wanted to use real money for loot boxes have to click two extra buttons.)

The reason this works is two-fold: 1. Journalists who cover the initial outrage feel that, ethically, they have to post the follow up but probably aren't going to do the research to figure out if the changes are substantial or effective at fixing the actual issue. 2. Loyal fans who get fed up with it and decide not to buy the game are desperately searching for a reason to forgive EA so they can play their neato shooty game so they'll take any crumbs they are given.

Accordingly, I will guarantee this: They will "make changes" with a day 1 patch. That much is obvious, but specifically, the changes they make will be based around reducing the cost of heroes and loot boxes. Sounds good, right? Well, maybe. The actual reason why they're going to reduce it is because right now the complaints are that progression takes "too" long - specifically about 40 hours to unlock heroes. They will change it, negligibly, so that the story becomes "We fixed the 40 hour hero requirement!" Of course, the change will make it so that still takes about 37 hours (I'm obviously just making up a number here, but the point is that it's still an absurd requirement), but that will be lost in the news cycle of them "making changes."

And of course, inexplicably, forums will be filled with people who for whatever reason are desperate to point out that your outrage is outdated. You'll say "It takes too long to unlock heroes" and they'll pop up to tell you and everyone else that EA "made changes" to that. Complain about loot box percentages? They "made changes!" What changes? Who gives a fuck. Changes!!!! Every complaint you have will be met with someone who wants to tell you that the reason you have for being upset is outdated.

This is a very common strategy used for scandals that are linked directly to financials - they will fuck you a little less than you expected and hope that you don't do the math on just how much less it is.

Have fun playing!!!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...ork_in_electronic_media_pr_ill_tell_you_what/

I definitely agree that it's really too late for any real significant change to occur. This game will make so much money either way that its ridiculous. Just gotta keep making noise.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The number of hours is not particularly meaningful because it's in pursuit of a goal nobody actually cares about. How many hours would it take to get every gun in Borderlands? How many hours would it take to max out every class/profession in World of Warcraft? How many hours does it take to get to Level 99 in Final Fantasy? Why does it matter that some completely arbitrary goal takes a really long time?

To demonstrate the absurdity or hopelessness of the economy you need examples that people can actually relate to. Why would I want 3 Epic cards for every single unit? That's an insane goal that has nothing to do with most people's playstyle. I'm going to boost up the characters and vehicles I love, and ignore the rest.

I think that the fact that the cards have a direct impact on how powerful your character is, and in turn, how well you stack up against your competition, makes achieving level 4 for at least the classes you play a bigger priority than "unlocking every gun in Borderlands", which I don't think is the best example (considering how guns are rolled via RNG, PVE based, etc). So yeah, the fact that putting yourself on an equal playing ground for 2 of the 4 classes will currently take over 2000 hours is something people will care about.

I love Overwatch. I've played more Overwatch than any MP game in recent years, and I still don't think i've broken 100 hours. So when people tell me that if i invest the same amount of time into Battlefront II, i'll statistically be less than 1/10th of the way towards unlocking one full class, that's incredibly off-putting.

Last edited: