• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the progression systems in this game at launch were fairly bad, but I never gave it a chance mainly because I thought the gameplay was clunky as hell

For whatever reason, the first (modern) battlefront game had fairly snappy gunplay. Felt nice and crisp. Something about Battlefront 2 made it seem more muddied. I don't know if it was the visuals, if the gunplay changed much, network etc.

I keep hearing about how improved this game is, but if it was something about the gameplay didn't like... will I notice a difference?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
So, the progression systems in this game at launch were fairly bad, but I never gave it a chance mainly because I thought the gameplay was clunky as hell

For whatever reason, the first (modern) battlefront game had fairly snappy gunplay. Felt nice and crisp. Something about Battlefront 2 made it seem more muddied. I don't know if it was the visuals, if the gunplay changed much, network etc.

I keep hearing about how improved this game is, but if it was something about the gameplay didn't like... will I notice a difference?

I just got the game so I can't speak to it but in general I would try fiddling with your sensitivities, accelerations, and other input options. I couldn't stand playing Battlefield V until I upped some numbers and now I think it's one of the best Battlefields for gunplay, even better than CoD.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't get thrown into any empty lobbies tonight. I don't know if it's because it's the weekend with XP bonus, so a lot of people are playing or if I actually fixed the problem.

If I did fix the problem it was simple. I just put the server selection on default. Before I was picking the server with the lowest ping.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Maybe it's me but for all my moaning about this game its way better than 2015.

2015 had better feeling guns and less heroes but that's about it. The entire thing was an unfocused mess and at best could be called a dull battlefield game. The whole thing was just sort of lifeless and gameplay was so lacking in anything dynamic apart from getting the drop on other players.

Battlefront 2, while the shooting feels less good, is a lot more gamey. I presume the fact that it was clearly built around third person while 2015 was clearly built around first person might have something to do with it, but it's a game built around maneuvering and working as a team. The guns feel weaker but the combat in general feels much better. You're encouraged to flank and push and bait and reinforce and gang up and split up and all sorts of things that you aren't in 2015.

Oct 25, 2017
I've not played this since pre-conquest. Plus I'm on PC now. I'm actually loving this. Conquest is a god send for more open ended gameplay, and via long matches makes it a lot easier to level up classes and vehicles. Plus loading on an SSD takes a lot of pain out of loading times.

I'm sure in the coming days the typical cycle will hit with regards to a lack of map support across modes and missing features, but hopefully the recently announced additions will sort some of those.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The new droid skins are good. It's nice to have some variety.

Imperial skins next, please and thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
The new droid skins are good. It's nice to have some variety.

Imperial skins next, please and thank you.

Yeah I like them, especially the pilot and jungle ones. Did they give out a free geonosis one for everyone too? Same with the clones- I've got quite a few that I'm sure were previously in loot boxes?

Also the conquest changes are great- spawn on squad mates or on specific capture points. Plus the capital ship sections have five minute limits now, reducing the never ending nature of conquest mode.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I wanted to level up my heroes, but HvV is pretty boring. It's just CC spam, lol.

I wanted to level up my aircraft, but flying sucks on PC. It's just so awkward to use just your mouse. Also, aircraft seemed too detached from the ground experience. They might as well just be a backdrop with them doing their own thing.

So, I just stick with GA and CS. I prefer CS over GA. GA has too much narrow tunneling issues. CS is like Conquest so it leaves a lot more options, you can actually flank and do stuff without always being throw into a meat grinder like GA. However, there aren't that many CS maps atm, so I play GA so I don't get bored.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're releasing the lightsaber mechanics change on Monday. If they really fixed that mess, the game will be in a more better place for me. 50% of saber hits don't work.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Has anyone actually won as the droids on Kamino in galactic assault? I think I may have once. There really isn't a more lop-sided match though is there?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to level up my heroes, but HvV is pretty boring. It's just CC spam, lol.

I wanted to level up my aircraft, but flying sucks on PC. It's just so awkward to use just your mouse. Also, aircraft seemed too detached from the ground experience. They might as well just be a backdrop with them doing their own thing.

So, I just stick with GA and CS. I prefer CS over GA. GA has too much narrow tunneling issues. CS is like Conquest so it leaves a lot more options, you can actually flank and do stuff without always being throw into a meat grinder like GA. However, there aren't that many CS maps atm, so I play GA so I don't get bored.

Yeah, although Criterion did a great game engine for fighter combat, DICE still has the same issue with failing to make aircraft important that they had with both Battlefront 1 and Battlefield 1.

People will continue to play aircraft because that is incredibly fun, but it is almost a guarantee their team will lose because the aircraft are not allowed to contribute to the objective.

Not only was it annoying how some maps in SWBF1 and BF1 didn't even support flight, BF2 makes it worse by actually removing it mid-match!

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
The troops only weekend hitting on the same weekend as Borderlands 3 launch and MW beta is literally the most absolute worst fucking timing humanly possible for me.

The tirades I've gone on since the beta about good heroes being way too hard to take down versus BF2015 are so, so many. I will have to tear myself away from the other stuff to check this out. My tl;dr is that in BF2015 due to there being less heroes in play and no real health regen for them (except Bossk or +10 from bacta bombs a good opposing trooper could actually do meaningful work on even a good hero player. Against a good Darth Vader I would glady throw myself away as a Trooper to get 15-20% damage off on him because it was meaningful.

In BF2 that is absolutely not the case, it's very easy for heroes to heal up, there's always max number of them up depending on the phase, and they're very easy to get with no downtime in-between spawns of the same hero. I'd consider myself probably a little bit above average and even I can easily go on 50+ killstreaks with most heroes on most maps, with the only thing killing me is me fucking up OR if the opposing team has a hero that actually knows what they're doing (which is always a total crapshoot). It's a big reason why in GA (and to a lesser extent CS) there's less ebb and flow and just reinforces the game's issue with super bad chokepoints like Kamino on the barracks/hangar phase. A hero timer isn't the answer IMO, heroes as item pickups are a terrible idea that BF2 ditched, but heroes should be able to heal up at least to some extent. The best idea I've come up with that I've advocated for literally years at this point now is to allow heroes to regen/health on kill freely, but only up to 50% of their max HP (once they drop below that threshold). Getting up to 50% would largely eliminate people doing nothing but running away and playing very very passively (that is going to happen regardless), but 50% is just low enough IMO where heroes can't play recklessly and a couple good troopers could do actual meaningful damage.

I'm 100% all about big team battle stuff, I did nothing but WA and Supremacy in BF2015, and I do nothing but GA and now CS is BF2, and it's infuriating how most matches are total steamrolls for one team or the other. This is a big constant complaint on reddit and it's usually called out as the game needing some sort of better matchmaking (which it absolutely does), but good players spawning as good heroes and staying up for 75%+ of the match is a part of that as well. I'd also like to see something that other people have suggested in that once a hero goes down, no one can spawn as them again for a short period (no more than 30-60 seconds IMO) and as a player if you die as a hero there's a longer cooldown where you personally cannot be a hero again. There's no great answers and a lot of very fine lines here, but I've got well over 1000 hours across both games and it's crazy how hard one or two good players as a hero will completely dominate an entire GA/CS match. It's dumb. It's fun when I do it and I go on 120+ kill streaks with my boy Bossk, but it's really dumb.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this game more often recently.

It's annoying how the challenges in the home menu don't send you to a match in that gamemode by clicking on it. So dumb that it makes you look through the menus to find that gamemode.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
In every Capital Supremacy I've played this morning, clones have won.

And in each game, people were complaining about how OP the new clone commando is. They're definitely strong. I've seen them break chokepoints and fall back to survive seemingly better than a Jedi could.

On the flip side, droidekas are pretty lackluster. They go down so easily, despite the shield. And their damage isn't anything to write home about. I mean, in the movie, Obi Wan and Qui Gon hauler ass when they showed up.

Buffing then to counter the commando seems like the logical thing to do.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
In every Capital Supremacy I've played this morning, clones have won.

And in each game, people were complaining about how OP the new clone commando is. They're definitely strong. I've seen them break chokepoints and fall back to survive seemingly better than a Jedi could.

On the flip side, droidekas are pretty lackluster. They go down so easily, despite the shield. And their damage isn't anything to write home about. I mean, in the movie, Obi Wan and Qui Gon hauler ass when they showed up.

Buffing then to counter the commando seems like the logical thing to do.

Does the new update already dropped on PC ?
I hope they bring again the no hero weekend. It was amazing.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Not feeling the Felucia map tbh. Though could also be that I had to play capital supremacy mode which I don't enjoy at all. Those matches go for waaaaaaay too long. Also was kinda hoping it would be a night map with glowy fauna.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Oh, so they made the commando OP. Not expected.
I couldn't try the new map sadly. why cant they create a map rotation for the new map only ?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I apologize ahead, I gotta vent. This game and it's progression system can eat arse.

Fuck Star Cards.

I have no idea if I am really bad at the game or if I am being constantly defeated by people with twice as lasting abilities, half as long cooldowns on grenades, almost 50% stronger attacks in fighters and all the other bullshit that comes with it. This kind of progression system is so far it's own ass it's unbelievably idiotic. Not only as a fairly new player do you come in with little experience of the gameplay, you also have to contend with the thousands of twats with full purple star card setups that are more or less double your power in only gameplay tools alone, not to then mention that they have the indepth knowledge of how the game works as well.

Seriously, is this really fucking good design according to people? Cause it comes back constantly in DICE games, like in BFV as well with it's pants on head stupid vehicle and weapon upgrades.

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize ahead, I gotta vent. This game and it's progression system can eat arse.

Fuck Star Cards.

I have no idea if I am really bad at the game or if I am being constantly defeated by people with twice as lasting abilities, half as long cooldowns on grenades, almost 50% stronger attacks in fighters and all the other bullshit that comes with it. This kind of progression system is so far it's own ass it's unbelievably idiotic. Not only as a fairly new player do you come in with little experience of the gameplay, you also have to contend with the thousands of twats with full purple star card setups that are more or less double your power in only gameplay tools alone, not to then mention that they have the indepth knowledge of how the game works as well.

Seriously, is this really fucking good design according to people? Cause it comes back constantly in DICE games, like in BFV as well with it's pants on head stupid vehicle and weapon upgrades.

It is a fairly traditional gameplay progression design that is a bit dated, chosen only because it was the safest and least offensive option after the Pay-2-Win debacle.

One thing I did was simply focus on one class, and I quickly leveled it up to being full purple in no time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck Star Cards.

It is a fairly traditional gameplay progression design that is a bit dated, chosen only because it was the safest and least offensive option after the Pay-2-Win debacle.

One thing I did was simply focus on one class, and I quickly leveled it up to being full purple in no time.
Yeah, this is a dumb standard progression system. I hate them.

But it's a 3XP weekend so if you play Capital Supremacy and focus on objectives you'll level up really quickly.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Game seems to be dying. I can't find a match for anything besides Heroes vs Villains and Coop. Really depressing.

Oct 25, 2017
Game seems to be dying. I can't find a match for anything besides Heroes vs Villains and Coop. Really depressing.
People keep claiming that PC isn't dead but I've been back at it for a week now and the majority of modes are graveyards for sure
Thank god for 4 player online co-op because that seems like the total amount of players on this platform at any given time

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
People keep claiming that PC isn't dead but I've been back at it for a week now and the majority of modes are graveyards for sure
Thank god for 4 player online co-op because that seems like the total amount of players on this platform at any given time
It's either your internet connection or your location or bad matchmaking system, i can find any mode in 10 seconds on PS4 (Europe).

Ps4, South America. I was eventually able to find a Capital match with 10 players on each side, but normal Galactic Assault is dead and buried as far as I can tell, which isn't a good indicative for the playerbase.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps4, South America. I was eventually able to find a Capital match with 10 players on each side, but normal Galactic Assault is dead and buried as far as I can tell, which isn't a good indicative for the playerbase.
Set your ping site to somewhere in North America. Hopefully you will able to quickly matchmake then.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There were only two times I was put in an empty server in the past six months, and that was when I picked Starfighter Hero vs Villains and when I clicked Capitol Supremacy. The former was probably cause DICE killed it due to no updates, and the latter was a fluke.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Can confirm, I am also from South America, and have a hard time getting into matches either on PC or PS4. Sometimes it get crowded, but it would be cool to have server browser to have an easier time to get into games,

Go to the settings in the EA Account side, and switch the server location to North America. You'll play with ping, but at least you'll play.

Friday nights, and Saturday/Sunday afternoon is where South American matches happen

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Set your ping site to somewhere in North America. Hopefully you will able to quickly matchmake then.
Can confirm, I am also from South America, and have a hard time getting into matches either on PC or PS4. Sometimes it get crowded, but it would be cool to have server browser to have an easier time to get into games,

Go to the settings in the EA Account side, and switch the server location to North America. You'll play with ping, but at least you'll play.

Friday nights, and Saturday/Sunday afternoon is where South American matches happen

Appreciate the help. I'll try coping with higher latency.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I have no issue with most game modes, but for some reason I can't get into any matches of starfighter mode. Any time I do load into a match, it always gets stuck at the waiting for more players, it goes for a couple mins and people start leaving so that number goes up and well the match never gets to start.

Oct 29, 2017
I have no issue with most game modes, but for some reason I can't get into any matches of starfighter mode. Any time I do load into a match, it always gets stuck at the waiting for more players, it goes for a couple mins and people start leaving so that number goes up and well the match never gets to start.

Yeah its downright criminal that SA hasnt gotten any love since launch. They really need to have an SA with bots option.