• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My brother is having a problem with the preload of the deluxe edition. When trying to download it, it says he already bought the game (he did) but can't see the icon in the main menu of the PS4. Any way to fix this?

Maybe he bought it using a different account? If it was purchased on PSN, then the icon should be on the main bar. That's the only thing I can think of.

Ghostwriter74

Oct 27, 2017
while you're spending tens of hours unlocking Vader, YOU ARENT ACHIEVING ANY PROGRESS TOWARD ANY OTHER UNLOCKS OR PROGRESSION, you are focusing 100% of your time and savings just to unlock that one champion

That is just wrong. Of course you make progression. You can unlock specific star cards with challenges, you can unlock better weapons with challenges, you can unlock Mods for the weapons by play with them.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the game but ready to flag all the damn elite/good players for cheating. EA/DICE really needs to segregate the elite and not so good gamers into different matches. Sick of only getting 1000 or 2000 points match in galactic assault
Seems good.
"I suck so I am going to flag everyone who is actually good as cheaters"

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is just wrong. Of course you make progression. You can unlock specific star cards with challenges, you can unlock better weapons with challenges, you can unlock Mods for the weapons by play with them.

apologies, apparently there is still some progression outside of the resource system

didn't know that

but the progression via resource system is the main chunk of progression and almost everything is exclusive to it

Last edited:

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
apologies, apparently there is still some progression outside of the resource system

didn't know that

but the progression via resource system is the main chunk of it

You unlock guns via X kills with prior gun. You unlock gun attachments via kills.

Everything else is from lootpacks or crafting from the precious few scraps you get from lootpacks.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, has the negative reaction or news concerning the progression / unlock or the predatory lootbox practices stopping you guys from getting this game?
The progression has been a bit disappointing, but I'm really enjoying the core gameplay so I'll be sticking with my pre order. Hopefully they fix it, but if they don't, I'll live and learn.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Alright, Elite Trooper Edition downloaded and going live tonight at midnight.
Time to Pay to Win this shit into a galaxy far far away

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Tough one for me because beta was on Xbox and the Triall/full version is on 1X.

Overall, it look really damn good. Some maps are certainly more impressive than others but the standard is pretty high.
Thanks. I was overall quite disappointed by the graphical quality. Maybe i expected too much... enjoyed the gameplay immensely tough, so for me it's a buy. Microtransactions and things are not welcome, but i won't miss out a game that i enjoy only for principles. It sucks that's for sure and the heads of EA are greedy, but i think at the honest folks at Dice who work really hard to keep us entertained.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the question is.

Will this impact review scores and ultimately the metacritic?

I said this in the other thread but it's highly unlikely. Of course this game could be the straw that breaks their backs, but every other game before this the media has ignored how much of a problem the MTs were. Sometimes they even go out of their way to defend it by saying how little of a problem they feel they were or "I didn't feel compelled to buy anything". Of course as we've seen with this game publishers like to adjust the numbers a bit to make things easier for reviewers, no doubt to influence their review of the system.

Then you also have the power of EA and most outlets not wanting to risk getting blacklisted by one of the top 2 publishers out there by giving their star game a 5 or 6.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's official thread so I guess I can drop it here...

The line should have been: I'm Luke Skywalker you need 40hours to unlock me, that is if you stop all other loot based progression and save up every dime.
For the rest: Yeah pretty well made PS4 add, as most of the time.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I told myself I wasn't going to play any of the SP until the full release so I can play through it all in one sitting. Well I caved and played the first 3 missions the trial offers.

I can't really say much because I felt like it didn't offer much. It was a tutorial and a basic introduction to all of the main mechanics in the game. A pretty good way to introduce a game for a trial. You get a feel for what it has to offer and there's a pretty good narrative going on. For a Star Wars nut like me who has read a lot of the New Canon that takes place around this period I have an idea on what's going on already and am happy other people will get to see what happens post-RotJ

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting something special for the OT and I was not disappointed. ^_^

Going to wait to see this in the redbox before checking it out for a day. I'm sorry, but Battlefront 2 has done little to give me any vote of confidence that this is better than the first Battlefront. It is a shame too, but EA found a way to mess it up. Hope to be proven wrong, but it seems highly doubtful at this point.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saying it takes play time is obfuscating part of the problem, other games can take play time to unlock stuff, but while you're unlocking that one thing, you're also unlocking other things aswell concurrently, and by the time the biggest thing is unlocked, most of the other stuff will be unlocked

but thats not how it works in BFII,

while you're spending tens of hours unlocking Vader, YOU ARENT ACHIEVING ANY PROGRESS TOWARD ANY OTHER UNLOCKS OR PROGRESSION, you are focusing 100% of your time and savings just to unlock that one champion, and then when hes done, YOU HAVE TO DO THE EXACT SAME THING FOR EVERY OTHER CHAMPION YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH

if you want to buy loot boxes and upgrade your arsenal WHILE you're saving up for vader, it will take you probably twice as long to get him, you cant just saying "i have to play the game for 30 hours to get vader", its more like "i have to play for 30 hours AND give up 30 hours worth of arsenal upgrades in order to play as vader"

unlocks in Battlefield II are CONSECUTIVE, NOT CONCURRENT

Holy moly, I think you may have made a mountain out of a molehill in regards to my response. I certainly don't feel that my post tried to expose or hide certain aspects of the "problem".

As it were, your response prompted me to research how the multiplayer upgrade system works as I haven't followed it too closely. I just saw that Reddit post today and haven't followed much else until now. Here's what I found:

- The Reddit user based their time estimates solely on credits earned from complete matches. They purposefully ignored bonuses awarded for completing challenges under the assumption that there will not be an infinite amount of challenges to complete

- The Reddit user ignored that you get crates for logging in daily as well as for completing challenges.

So while I thank you for your "correction" based on your interpretation of my post, I felt it important to add these corrections. Reading up on this in full has made me much less worried about unlocking new heroes. However, I'll reserve final judgement until after I play for a bit.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So while I thank you for your "correction" based on your interpretation of my post

that stuff wasn't for you specifically, and i wasn't trying to correct you at all

i wanted to make a point in this thread, and i thought your post offered a good jumping off point

sorry if i didn't make that clear

cool that you researched this stuff, i think everyone probably should before they buy the game

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Is there a good article or post somewhere that explains exactly what this uproar is all about? I see it takes a long time to unlock heroes? plus loot cards? just curious what is going on and I can't seem to find a good place to spell it out.

Edit: I see the other thread. I will go read that.

Thanks

A very simple explanation is that unlocking heroes and "progressing" are attached to the same currency in the game. Which is not based at all on your ability or skill or playing the objective, just on playtime in the game. So an AFK player earns roughly the same as someone actively playing the game. EA/DICE did this to control the rate at which people, who choose not to pay a single dime more over the purchase price of $60-80, progress in order to push Loot Crate purchases with Real Money. So if you are saving up to unlock a Hero you are barely progressing any of the other classes, meaning barely any unlocks or abilities/boosts. The people who choose to buy Loot Crates with Real Money though continue to progress and save up all their credits for Hero unlocks.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, are we aware EA is locking each hero under 40 hours of gameplay and how reddit is organizing a boycott of the game?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7clpza/eas_excuse_for_lootboxes_hits_negative_100k

I feel like this is something ERA should be a part of and if anyone feels confortable making a thread I'd be greatful.

Every time I hear about a boycott in a video game I'm reminded of this image

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

I'm not saying don't go for it, but don't expect anything to come of it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Another good title would have been "I am altering the deal." But yours is probably the best one :p

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that stuff wasn't for you specifically, and i wasn't trying to correct you at all

i wanted to make a point in this thread, and i thought your post offered a good jumping off point

sorry if i didn't make that clear

No worries! It's hard to make stuff like that clear via text. Anyway, it seems that "challenges" are the big "what if" here that could make the experience better. I'm curious to see just how many there are and if more will be added. Otherwise I will not be happy with the slog of primarily earning match complete credits and saving them for heroes and crates.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Holy moly, I think you may have made a mountain out of a molehill in regards to my response. I certainly don't feel that my post tried to expose or hide certain aspects of the "problem".

As it were, your response prompted me to research how the multiplayer upgrade system works as I haven't followed it too closely. I just saw that Reddit post today and haven't followed much else until now. Here's what I found:

- The Reddit user based their time estimates solely on credits earned from complete matches. They purposefully ignored bonuses awarded for completing challenges under the assumption that there will not be an infinite amount of challenges to complete

- The Reddit user ignored that you get crates for logging in daily as well as for completing challenges.

So while I thank you for your "correction" based on your interpretation of my post, I felt it important to add these corrections. Reading up on this in full has made me much less worried about unlocking new heroes. However, I'll reserve final judgement until after I play for a bit.
Yeah, the underlined is where I feel like this whole debacle has gotten far too out of hand. We'll find out more information tomorrow on launch.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, the underlined is where I feel like this whole debacle has gotten far too out of hand. We'll find out more information tomorrow on launch.

The underlined has been pointed out as nonsense over and over in this thread already. The math was already done on challenges, doing every single one gives you only half of whats needed for a hero, and to make it worse to do all challenges requires heroes that are locked already, so you still dont even get half needed till you've spent a ton of credits.

Daily crates is not going to make much difference

Oct 30, 2017
I loved the OG Battlefront games, but I used to play it single player, a quick 10 minutes conquest game, and it was superb.Been reading about the Arcade mode, but struggling to find info. It's a 10 v 10 team battle apparently, which is a bit low for my liking. How does it work? I assume it's not by capturing spawning points, as EA have said no conquest mode. Can you play it on any of the maps?

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

From what ive been seeing, the daily crates dont give you shit. Ive had it on EA access for a few days now and the daily boxes are nothing great. You won unlock anything with those.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The underlined has been pointed out as nonsense over and over in this thread already. The math was already done on challenges, doing every single one gives you only half of whats needed for a hero, and to make it worse to do all challenges requires heroes that are locked already, so you still dont even get half needed till you've spent a ton of credits.

Daily crates is not going to make much difference

I feel it worth noting that the DLC plans in the OP detail added "Weekend", "Daily", and "Faction" challenges coming to the game. Time will tell, but signs are there that we'll have more ways to gain extra credits besides just the regular slog.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I hear about a boycott in a video game I'm reminded of this image

I'm not saying don't go for it, but don't expect anything to come of it.
Especially with The Last Jedi coming out in a month. The mainstream gaming audience that crosses over into the mainstream Star Wars will be hungry for a Star Wars game, regardless of the worrisome progression system.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I feel it worth noting that the DLC plans in the OP detail added "Weekend", "Daily", and "Faction" challenges coming to the game. Time will tell, but signs are there that we'll have more ways to gain extra credits besides just the regular slog.

Challenges are just more grinds, all they can do now is try to fix this by giving out big credit rewards and lowering in game costs, the damage is done.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Getting it when it's cheap enough, just for the campaign.

Dear Shitty EA: Thanks for fucking up my second most anticipated game of the year after HZD, at least I'll save some money now.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
No worries! It's hard to make stuff like that clear via text. Anyway, it seems that "challenges" are the big "what if" here that could make the experience better. I'm curious to see just how many there are and if more will be added. Otherwise I will not be happy with the slog of primarily earning match complete credits and saving them for heroes and crates.

Luckily for you someone did the leg work. More than likely 95% of the credits you earn will be from match complete. So expect a ton of people AFK farming.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
So, are we aware EA is locking each hero under 40 hours of gameplay and how reddit is organizing a boycott of the game?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7clpza/eas_excuse_for_lootboxes_hits_negative_100k

I feel like this is something ERA should be a part of and if anyone feels confortable making a thread I'd be greatful.

I would rather the place be about getting the truth of things, not recycling bullshit for days.

The '40 hours of gameplay to unlock a hero' thing is a BS number made up by someone who decided - for some reason - to ignore the credits earned through challenges and daily lootbox rewards. It's not indicative of what you'll actually experience in the game, and doesn't apply to every hero anyway - just the two most expensive ones.

I'm not saying this method of unlocking heroes is the best, or even good. I'm sure there's better ways to have solved it. What I'm saying is that we need to stop with the 'sky is falling' bullshit over intentionally misleading numbers.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Just a small heads up.

I contacted EA support about Origin Access showing 8 hours played, but saying less than an hour available... they reset my time completely. Try this before you buy Deluxe edition.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'm super excited for it to unlock tonight! I have less than an hour left of trial time so I had to stop playing so that I don't get kicked out in the middle of a match.

Been having so much fun in this. I am still so excited that the prequel trilogy is supported. Kamino and Kashyyyk are both visually stunning and a blast to play on. They even managed to make me want to go back to Jakku after how awful the map was in the first game.