• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I will be absolutely shocked if EA Motive exists after this game. The campaign is beyond atrocious.
After 2015 and the beta I knew I wouldn't bother with the mp, but not even being worth a rent for a sp play through is the stinger.

This franchise and IP deserve so much better.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Gamesradar

PROS
  • It looks and feels like Star Wars
  • Multiplayer is brilliant
  • Starfighter sections are thrilling
CONS
  • Story is short and bland, like Hayden Christensen's career
  • Confusing progression in multiplayer
  • Hero characters are duff in the campaign

A very strong multiplayer offering tarnished by overly complicated character progression, and a lavish, beautiful story campaign lacking in substance or subtlety.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Zero interest in this game, but I'd like to see it crash (critically at least) and burn due to the shitty practices.

It'll sell bucket loads, undeservedly, though.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
GamesRadar - 4 stars

The story sucks and is only 4-5 hours long and the multiplayer's progression system is a convoluted mess. Yet it gets 4 out of 5 stars?

Production value™.

This is everything wrong with AAA and its receptions. Reviewers and fans would easily dismiss the cons of these games because the production value is there. It's AAA.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They fucked up the campaign. Jesus Christ, it can't be that hard. The first 3 missions in the trial were boring to me already

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
"But the game overall is weighed down by an overbearing and convoluted progression system that doesn't value the average player's time, obscuring an otherwise solid Star Wars experience." -Gamespot

Well, I guess the system is bad enough to affect reviews. Good. A lot of times reviewers tend to gloss over these things. To be fair, usually it doesn't rear it's ugly head like this system does.

Nov 3, 2017
True, but for a AAA game of this scope and with this marketing budget and Star Wars, 6s and 7s is as low as it can realistically get from most outlets.

I suppose you're right, and it's not like it's not well crafted it's just surrounded by shit which brings it down to average/above average (5/6) whereas below 5 should be reserved for truly truly bad

I still think 7+ for this is kind of a joke

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GamesRadar - 4 stars

The story sucks and is only 4-5 hours long and the multiplayer's progression system is a convoluted mess. Yet it gets 4 out of 5 stars?

Get used to it. The Star Wars paint will make up for most of this game's issues. Lackluster campaign? Messy multiplayer? Who cares when I'm IMMERSED IN MUH STAR WARS.

Take most reviews with that context in mind.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Uh oh thats not a great start.

Wait even the campaign is bad? That was like the only thing i hoped wasnt bad.

Just wow

If this wouldnt be Star Wars it would get even worse reviews.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Here's the thing, reviews have to take EVERY aspect of the game into account before giving a score. Sure each reviewer is going to rate by whatever experience they had with the game, but every day-of-release feature and aspect of the game should be taken into account for the review.

Microtransactions and multiplayer modes included. Power parity and game balance based off of purchases vs no purchases, time to purchase ratio (how long does it take to acquire the X$ equivalent star card). EVERYTHING. If a game has even a slight stench of Pay 2 Win, it should nuke.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Gamespot (Review in Progress) - 6/10

"The biggest problem with this system is that it's never clearly explained. While you'll eventually come to understand how credits, crystals, and crafting components are used, you'll still have to reconcile the fact that the time you invest in the game won't always be rewarded with progress, or at least in the way you want.

In this way, Battlefront II plants itself in the same territory as free-to-play games, with much of its content and characters tucked away behind progression walls and randomized loot crates. This is an especially disappointing reality for a full-priced release. Above all, it ends up doing a disservice to the core gameplay, which can still provide solid moments of enjoyment despite the looming presence of its progression systems. Many of these issues related to the meta-game fall by the wayside when you're in the thick of battle, as you're taking part in the massive struggle throughout the many locales in the Star Wars universe."

Sounds bad. :-(

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Production value™.

This is everything wrong with AAA and its receptions. Reviewers and fans would easily dismiss the cons of these games because the production value is there. It's AAA.
Get used to it. The Star Wars paint will make up for most of this game's issues. Lackluster campaign? Messy multiplayer? Who cares when I'm IMMERSED IN MUH STAR WARS.

Take most reviews with that context in mind.
The funny thing is it already got a pass in 2015 bc of it, you would think DICE sound and visuals wouldn't be enough to overcome the negatives of a sequel, but you'd be wrong.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Eurogamer reviewer says about the P2W shit:
Eurogamer said:
Cynical? Perhaps, though I think it's more about wrongheadedness and poorly thought through design...
Jesus wept, how apologetic. Of course it's fucking cynical. The game balance and progression is deliberately compromised by needless P2W mechanics, in a $60 game no less.

The fact that it's also poor design doesn't make it any less cynical.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Real shame EA got exclusive rights to Star Wars. They've severely mishandled the franchise. If Bioware made a Knights of the Old Republic 3 I might change my tune.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Trustedreviews 6/10
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/star-wars-battlefront-2-4

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is a great game spoiled by a terrible business model. DICE and EA are going to be under a huge amount of pressure not just to tweak, but completely overhaul the metagame or face an even bigger fan backlash than they have already.

COkyfc0.jpg

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Press Start - "The multiplayer is P2W, there's no server browser and autobalancing is broken, there's no voice chat in a team-based game, and the campaign wasn't all that great. 8/10"

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Guess I shouldn't have bother to hope for the SP. Would have been nice, especially with it following a squad of Imperial Special Forces, but alas.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
embargo over 1 week prior to release...EA must be feeling confident in the game

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4-5 hour campaign that is nothing more than average is what I was not hoping for. Will pick this up down the line instead of on launch I guess.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
im proud of you reviewers, those of you that brought up the real issues

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They fucked up the campaign. Jesus Christ, it can't be that hard. The first 3 missions in the trial were boring to me already

It probably is when you're trying to string multiplayer assets (locations / levels / game mechanics) into a campaign, which seems to be the prevailing case in the footage I've seen of multiple missions of the game.

Those never really work out, but based on the reviews so far it actually seems that Battlefront 2 has done a better job than most.