• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Not to wish ill on Battlefront 2, but hopefully this game will get buried by reviewers.

If we are talking about the future of gaming and how lootboxes can affect gameplay, this will be something that is addressed and pointed out for how dumb this decision was. You could say that Shadows of War was the first battle, but you can say that Battlefront 2 is definitely the first major fight of how these "random drops" can affect the overall experience of the game.

As for the score, I would imagine that EA would want to aim for 8s since anything lower could be a tell that "This is your basic game with nothing special," to it; much like the first battlefront game that averaged around 70-75.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
To think that I was so hyped for WWII's and BF2's campaigns this year. They really pulled the wool over people's eyes with the trailers and dev posts leading up to them. Garbage games imo.

I don't think either of them displayed much confidence in their single-player offerings. Few trailers, no extended gameplay demonstrations - the signs were there.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
all the people defending the loot crate progression system are defending something that is actively making the game worse, and for what? so that EA can make more money?

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Woah Woah Woah!

Electronic Arts clearly heard the uproar from the gaming community about the inflated costs of heroes, and slashed their prices by 75 percent. This is not a small tweak. It completely changes my take on the game – moving from an evil time sink to potentially reasonable. I need to dive back into all of the modes to see if any other changes were made.

For instance, during my review, completing the campaign earned players a unique loot crate that contained 20,000 credits. That reward is now 5,000 credits. A big change. What else is different?

Hopefully just an error? They can't be this stupid right?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
So conflicted on if to buy it now, I've been looking forward to it for ages but if the multiplayer progression is so tied up with loot crates then I'm not sure I want to put in the time.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer put a smile on my face:

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is ultimately as maddening and uneven as the films themselves, and just as likely to wow you with a moment of unparalleled spectacle as it is to fall flat on its face. Such is the way with this series, where the force is always kept in balance in some mysterious way; for every Boba Fett there is a Watto, for every Battle of Hoth a Dex's Diner.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Game reviewers be like, "It was all around trash, one of the worst games I've ever played. 10/10"

Is this all so they can say what they really think while not upsetting their metacritic worshiping overlords?

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear the campaign is disappointing.

I'd take a great 4-5 hour Star Wars campaign over a boring 10 hour campaign buy it sounds like this hasn't delivered.

EA access in 9 months it is.

Oct 25, 2017
"That all said, the ridiculous progression system doesn't mean the multiplayer suddenly isn't fun to play. Put simply, Battlefront 2 just isn't trying to be a competitive game, it's trying to be a lighthearted Star Wars shooter, and it does that pretty well."

I wonder how fun it will be to play once the whales have purchased hundreds of dollars worth of loot boxes.

Seems strange to play the "but it's not supposed to be competitive PVP" card.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
"That all said, the ridiculous progression system doesn't mean the multiplayer suddenly isn't fun to play. Put simply, Battlefront 2 just isn't trying to be a competitive game, it's trying to be a lighthearted Star Wars shooter, and it does that pretty well."
They must have a very different understanding of what "competitive" means than most people. Its main selling point is PvP. How isn't that competitive?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So with the first and now the second being ho-hum games (not bad, but flawed) and with the other triple-A Star Wars game cancelled... very mismanaged license by EA's hands.
The star wars license went to the makers of kotor 1 and the people Pandemic ripped off for Battlefront... and we got 2 greedy, mediocre Battlefront games in 5 years. Ugh

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woah Woah Woah!

Hopefully just an error? They can't be this stupid right?
Based on the Tweet, I wasn't sure if that meant they were gonna give it a lower score or a higher score.

Completely fucked up if they end up giving it a higher score because of this patch.

Why even announce this? That's bad reputation for them. EA's getting negative press. Why would they choose to side with EA during this mess?

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
The details from reviews about credit costs and income rate make it clear that reducing the costs of the heroes is barely a band-aid. The issue is much deeper than that.

Yeah, the crystal packs. Anyone can go spend $100 as we have seen and get huge advantages over people who just want to play normally after buying the game already at full price. Getting Vader sooner does not solve the root of the problem. In this case, you can't remove the cancer without killing the patient. The pay to win element is baked straight into the progression system.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Disney should hav handled license per game basis. Lots of companies could have made a good SW game with Diseny funding.

Considering that is what they are doing with Marvel (Insomniac making Spider-Man, Square making Avengers, etc.), I'd be surprised if they opt for another exclusive deal with SW once this EA deal expires.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people are saying the campaign is disappointing. The majority of the reviews I've read so far liked the campaign or at least had fun with it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, a DICE campaign still sucks? What a surprise. It's almost as if that Spec Ops: the Line writer meant fuck all.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Yes horrible. Ive played the campaign too and it was the most boring Star Wars videogame campaign ive played. Force Unleashed 1 was the last good Star Wars campaign in my opinion.
So about this abrupt ending. Is that a fair description? And does it feel like a setup for some kind of story expansion DLC?

Whoa, a DICE campaign still sucks? What a surprise. It's almost as if that Spec Ops: the Line writer meant fuck all.
The campaign wasn't done by DICE

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think either of them displayed much confidence in their single-player offerings. Few trailers, no extended gameplay demonstrations - the signs were there.
Sledgehammer did a whole series of dev vids about how they wanted to tell an authentic and true to life WW2 story. Bullshit. EA did a whole thing about how they'd explore the Imperial side of Star Wars mythos. Bullshit.

Only good FPS campaigns this gen have been DOOM, the two Wolfensteins, Infinite Warfare, and Titanfall 2 (which, imo, is a bit overrated). Advanced Warfare was okay I suppose.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm betting Disney regret it. How long does the Star Wars deal go on for?

It was apparently a 10 year contract from when it was announced in 2013. So it terminates in 2023.

Next year will be 5 years in and we've had 2 Battlefront games and a mobile game... and maybe Respawn's makes it in that time or maybe not.

Not exactly a fantastic return so far.

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the Tweet, I wasn't sure if that meant they were gonna give it a lower score or a higher score.

Completely fucked up if they end up giving it a higher score because of this patch.

Why even announce this? That's bad reputation for them. EA's getting negative press. Why would they choose to side with EA during this mess?

Reiner is, umm, not tweeting that positively about the game right now.

He suspects that they might have made the credits even harder to get and that would probably lead to a lower score.