• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Glorified online polls don't amount to receipts.

You can also check literally any Star Wars group or forum. The fb star wars figures group I'm in has almost died after TLJ. Anyone tried to sell TLJ merch is just laughed at.

But I'm guessing all polls, forums, or fan sites sonehow don't count as "fans"?

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Wanna know a terrible secret?

The prequels were liked by general audiences, despite luke warm reviews. They all received A- on CinemaScore and generated healthy profits. All of them.

Not to say fan outcry didn't have an impact on the ST's creation and direction, but general audiences actually liked the PT.

And yet again, my question gets dodged.

I never said there aren't issues with the film and that people don't bring up legitimate criticisms; I've got many of my own and had them as soon as I walked out of the theater. My point is that there's almost a 30 point swing between RT and IMDB; both have hundreds of thousands of scores, yet they're incredibly far apart in overall scoring.

Which shows you how useless anonymous online scoring is.
It's most likely because the RT rating system is different than the IMDB one.RT use the 5 start rating, while IMDB uses the 10 star one.You asked for proof that the movie was hated by a seizable amount of fans and I showed you proof.If you want to accept it, fine, if not, that's fine too.Anyway, it's late and I don't want to argue with anyone so I'm out.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's most likely because the RT rating system is different than the IMDB one.RT use the 5 start rating, while IMDB uses the 10 star one.You asked for proof that the movie was hated by a seizable amount of fans and I showed you proof.If you want to accept it, fine, if not, that's fine too.Anyway, I'm off to sleep.Night!
So that explains a 30 point gap in scoring? How?

Which do you think is more accurate? And do you think there's actually any merit to online scoring?

Lol, OK man, bail out. That's not proof in the slightest which is why you decided to peace out of this conversation. At least be honest and admit that you're making a poor argument.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Save for book adaptations, when has a film trilogy (or series) ever been planned out from beginning to end before? I can't understand all this whining about how Kennedy and co. are just winging it from movie to movie... because that's how it always works! That's just how movies are. They are too damn complicated to map out years in advance. Even at Marvel, plans have changed and the direction from one story to the next has been changed many times.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
You can also check literally any Star Wars group or forum. The fb star wars figures group I'm in has almost died after TLJ. Anyone tried to sell TLJ merch is just laughed at.

But I'm guessing all polls, forums, or fan sites sonehow don't count as "fans"?

Why does it matters what "fans" think when the movie duid $620 millions domestic and $712 millions worlwide and the franchise keeps bringing money with TV seris, books, comics and merchandise? That's what Iger and the board/investors see, not if people in online forums say they didn't like it.

And I already talked about Solo and how it not making even isn't her fauylt, therefore another reason for Iger and the board/investors to not be disappointed in her performance.

Movies are a business, they make it to bring it money and what she has done is keep a well oiled machine that makes possible for that money to keep pouring in.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanna know a terrible secret?

The prequels were liked by general audiences, despite luke warm reviews. They all received A- on CinemaScore and generated healthy profits. All of them.

I'd argue that they were as well received as any other blockbuster released during the Late 90s/Early 2000s. Which means unless you were the first Matrix or even Spider-Man 1/2 they were a watchable, but unmemorable and made little cultural impact. But even in pop culture the prequels were treated as more or less a joke. Like this is how Star Wars was handled in the Simpsons during the prequels.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd argue that they were as well received as any other blockbuster released during the Late 90s/Early 2000s. Which means unless you were the first Matrix or even Spider-Man 1/2 they were a watchable, but unmemorable and made little cultural impact. But even in pop culture the prequels were treated as more or less a joke. Like this is how Star Wars was handled in the Simpsons during the prequels.

Yep. They were largely forgettable pieces of entertainment that people enjoyed.

And now, with the evolution of the internet, we have..

The prequel memes.

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope she pulls back a little bit on the film's and gives the franchise some time to breathe. I kind of feel bad for her honestly because I think Star Wars as a series is pretty limited on the screen for some reason. It didn't seem to have problems with all this expanded universe media over the decades, but spinning off regular compelling films is a lot harder.

That's happening on a mandate above her paygrade.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I cant express how much joy I get out of watching bitter losers whine and complain about Kennedy and RJ continuing to make Star Wars content.

This shit is like catnip for humans for me. I fucking love seeing them meltdown over this shit. Its absolutely delicious schadenfreude.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm cool with it. Under her leadership we got a return to classic Star Wars with The Force Awakens, two mediocre nostalgia fests with Rogue One, and Solo, and the best Star Wars movie ever with The Last Jedi. As well as a future trilogy from Rian Johnson. Yes please.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol they think they're rebels fighting the empire, it's a sad thing to see.
That's my favourite part lol. They think they would be portrayed as scrappy rebels despite a huge percentage of them hating diversity and minorities lol.
Any day now, that man's trilogy will be cancelled and Kennedy will be fired. Any day now... You'll see!
My favourite comment in that chain was someone that was mad that Luke use the term "laser sword" and called it spitting on the fans. Completely missing that George called them that constantly and that it was an inside reference lol.

We are the rebellion. We will stop the evil reign of Kathleen Kennedy and RUIN Johnson.
tumblr_mve6rsh2pH1s2wio8o8_500.gif
CSLpGZLilCMZk0kYPbu13ea0CUWfBr9Mrv35En890bxvWao1YtFbdIox_s1XQWwWd-SXZoYxEOGmfXHUbJIhq8wtOQjV8B48oAixJWus5XFHaYCzVeYN0GJ6nRAK6sChuER7lXEyD4eZozT3eaRQyQ3tBk1xMP49=w200-h200-nc

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
So that explains a 30 point gap in scoring? How?

Which do you think is more accurate? And do you think there's actually any merit to online scoring?

Lol, OK man, bail out. That's not proof in the slightest which is why you decided to peace out of this conversation. At least be honest and admit that you're making a poor argument.
Sorry for not wanting to keep arguing with you at 3 am, but not that I woke up I can asnwer your question.As I said before the different rating systems is probably why there is a 30 points difference.As for the movie, it's pretty obvious that it's not liked by a lot of its fans considering there's thousands of discussions all over the internet.

What would quantify to a reasonable certainty general audience and fan feelings towards TLJ? Probably just scientific surveys, which will never happen because who cares.
LMAO.So you want a scientific survey that you know won't happen as proof?Of course you'd say that.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a surprise? Under her rule three off the four movies released made more than a billion dollars, TFA made more than two! That's a pretty good track record.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Is this a surprise? Under her rule three off the four movies released made more than a billion dollars, TFA made more than two! That's a pretty good track record.
Wasn't Solo also made under her?Because from what I remember both RO and Solo bombed.I enjoyed both, but I guess most people didn't.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Solo also made under her?Because from what I remember both RO and Solo bombed.I enjoyed both, but I guess most people didn't.
Rogue One made a billion dollars wordlwide, it didn't bomb. Solo was a big disappointment but you don't get rid of the head of the studio because of one movie, not if everything else has been a huge success.

And Kathleen Kennedy hasn't just produced Star Wars, she has been in the business for decades and did some of the most memorable movies of our generation. Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Gremlins etc., that woman is awesome and has proven again and again that she knows what she's doing, one bomb doesn't change that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sorry for not wanting to keep arguing with you at 3 am, but not that I woke up I can asnwer your question.As I said before the different rating systems is probably why there is a 30 points difference.As for the movie, it's pretty obvious that it's not liked by a lot of its fans considering there's thousands of discussions all over the internet.
That makes no sense. You've yet to explain why the difference in rating systems would cause a 30 point difference. You can't just keep saying something and hope that it's a good enough explanation when you don't actually provide one.

There have been negative SW discussions ever since the creation of the PT, and even before.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
That makes no sense. You've yet to explain why the difference in rating systems would cause a 30 point difference. You can't just keep saying something and hope that it's a good enough explanation when you don't actually provide one.

There have been negative SW discussions ever since the creation of the PT, and even before.
I explained it as best I could. I'm also not sure why you keep bringing up the IMDB score.Attack of the clones has 6.6 and Revenge of the Sith has 7.6.Both movies were mostly hated by fans which proves my point about TLJ.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I explained it as best I could. I'm also not sure why you keep bringing up the IMDB score.Attack of the clones has 6.6 and Revenge of the Sith has 7.6.Both movies were mostly hated by fans which proves my point about TLJ.
You're making a habit of missing the point. I'm saying that a 30 point swing between sites is enough to show you how useless online scoring is. And you've yet to include an actual argument as to why the differences in scales would cause that much of a difference.