• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also quite a few fans who disliked TLJ gathered a movement and went to trash its review score. So factor that in...

Which becomes obvious with the amount of reviews TLJ has on RT. No matter how bad any other film is, TLJ probably has the most user reviews, which should be a red flag right there.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
I guess the hundreds if not thousands of reddit threads, YouTube videos and weekly threads we have on era discussing the problems TLJ had are not valid, right?I assume they're bots as well?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the hundreds if not thousands of reddit threads, YouTube videos and weekly threads we have on era discussing the problems TLJ had are not valid, right?I assume they're bots as well?
Not to say the movie isn't divisive, but there are usually the same people in "Why TLJ sucks" threads.

It's a quintessential circle jerk.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Weren't a lot of these videos made by people who rarely ever mentioned Star Wars on their channel prior to TLJ?

Gotta follow the $$$

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
I'll ask you again.You got a better method that we don't know about?

Dude, it's been explained to you over and over. Film industry execs etc. take Box Office take and Cinemascore into account because, while they aren't ideal measurements, they at least give a fairly accurate assessment of how audiences have generally viewed a film. While Cinemascore naturally has a relatively small sample size, they at least make sure to be representative with their polling, and we know that each contribution to a films Cinemascore is one person who has given their opinion once.

The reason nobody with any knowledge of, or influence within, the film industry takes online scoring (especially RT user scores) seriously is that they're easily hijacked by small groups of people with specific agendas. It is far too easy for one person to contribute to an online score pretty much as many times as they like, and there is no way of making sure the people rating a film have even seen it (see: superhero movies being spammed to ludicrously low/high scores before they've even been released). And this doesn't even begin to delve into the problem of online movie ratings coming from a self-selecting sample group, and so it only takes a small minority of people with a specific agenda to see a film's online rating tip drastically in one direction or the other.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Welp, if this isn't the worst thing that's happened in the history of humanity, I don't know what is.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Most of the arguments against TLJ are easily dismissed.
The movie had problema.The humor was one of them.
Not to say the movie isn't divisive, but there are usually the same people in "Why TLJ sucks" threads.

It's a quintessential circle jerk.
So every youtuber, everyone on reddit is a bot or what?
Weren't a lot of these videos made by people who rarely ever mentioned Star Wars on their channel prior to TLJ?

Gotta follow the $$$
so if I have a gaming channel, I can't make a video to talk about other stuff?Hmmmm

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, it's been explained to you over and over. Film industry execs etc. take Box Office take and Cinemascore into account because, while they aren't ideal measurements, they at least give a fairly accurate assessment of how audiences have generally viewed a film. While Cinemascore naturally has a relatively small sample size, they at least make sure to be representative with their polling, and we know that each contribution to a films Cinemascore is one person who has given their opinion once.

The reason nobody with any knowledge of, or influence within, the film industry takes online scoring (especially RT user scores) seriously is that they're easily hijacked by small groups of people with specific agendas. It is far too easy for one person to contribute to an online score pretty much as many times as they like, and there is no way of making sure the people rating a film have even seen it (see: superhero movies being spammed to ludicrously low/high scores before they've even been released). And this doesn't even begin to delve into the problem of online movie ratings coming from a self-selecting sample group, and so it only takes a small minority of people with a specific agenda to see a film's online rating tip drastically in one direction or the other.

Yuyu underatands this

They just choose to ignore it because it doesn't support what they want to believe.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018

The last Transformers movie got a B+ cinemascore.That should tell you how reliable cinemascore is.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I guess the transformers movie must be the best movies ever made then.Cinemascores are crap.There's not enough people that vote in them.So the best way to tell how a movie is viewed by most people are online scores.I get that you don't like admitting it but that's the truth.
The score is not a measurement of actual quality, it's a measurement of how liked the movie was by general audiences. Audiences like poorly reviewed movies all the time. But the industry trusts the CinemaScore system enough to consider it a valid method for determining what people thought of their movie, even if not perfect.

That said, you completely ignored the biggest determining factor, box office performance.

The prequels and all new SW movies have been wildly successful and therefore well liked by general audiences, expect for Solo.

The industry doesn't give a shit about online user reviews. Because they know they're not necessarily indicative of if the general audience liked the movie.

Profits are the most important factor, and you're not so subtly ignoring that fact to make a series of flimsy arguments that have fallen apart throughout the duration of our conservation.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is surprising, do some at ResetEra actually think that TLJ is not disliked by a majority? What bubble are you living in?

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling.
The score is not a measurement of actual quality, it's a measurement of how liked the movie was by general audiences. Audiences like poorly reviewed movies all the time. But the industry trusts the CinemaScore system enough to consider it a valid method for determining what people thought of their movie, even if not perfect.

That said, you completely ignored the biggest determining factor, box office performance.

The prequels and all new SW movies have been wildly successful and therefore well liked by general audiences, expect for Solo.

The industry doesn't give a shit about online user reviews. Because they know they're not indicative of if the general audience liked the movie.

Profits are the most important factor, and you're not so subtly ignoring that fact to make a series of flimsy arguments that have fallen apart throughout the duration of our conservation.
I think you already forgot where this argument started from.You said that you wanted proof that the movie was not liked by a lot of the fans.I gave you proof and you dismissed it.Deep down you know I'm right, but keep fighting the good fight.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is surprising, do some at ResetEra actually think that TLJ is not disliked by a majority? What bubble are you living in?
Sure, disliked by a majority of alt-right folks who can't stand minority and women characters. These are the same folks who call TLJ liberal SJW trash and forget that the original trilogy was basically the exact same thing.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Sure, disliked by a majority of alt-right folks who can't stand minority and women characters. These are the same folks who call TLJ liberal SJW trash and forget that the original trilogy was basically the exact same thing.
There we have it.The movie is not hated for its problems.It's because of the alt right and the illuminati.Keep the conspiracy theories coming.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think you already forgot where this argument started from.You said that you wanted proof that the movie was not liked by a lot of the fans.I gave you proof and you dismissed it.Deep down you know I'm right, but keep fighting the good fight.
Again, if your argument is that online reviews are indicative of if fans liked or disliked the movie, you've provided absolutely no evidence as to why online scores are a valid way of determining.. Anything, really. You'dY yet to explain the nearly 30 point discrepancy between RT and IMDB.

And you've failed to understand basic concepts of what determines how well liked a movie is, in general.

You've provided no proof or evidence for anything, and talking with you legitimately feels like talking to a brick wall.

But it's clear you're a troll trying to get a rise out of me so I'm not wasting anymore of my time on you.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

I'm not alt right and I didn't like it. Mostly for shit like ramming the capital ship at the end using hyper space. In the Star Wars universe you jump into a pocket dimension when you jump so you can't collide with anything as you jump.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not alt right and I didn't like it. Mostly for shit like ramming the capital ship at the end using hyper space, in the Star Wars universe you jump into a pocket dimension when you jump so you can't collide with anything as you jump.
There is a moment before you enter hyper space were you are still in the normal universe, that was pretty obvious from the get go.

This is "bomb don't fall in space" level of criticism.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Again, if your argument is that online reviews are indicative of if fans liked or disliked the movie, you've provided absolutely no evidence as to why online scores are a valid way of determining.. Anything, really. You'dY yet to explain the nearly 30 point discrepancy between RT and IMDB.

And you've failed to understand basic concepts of what determines how well liked a movie is, in general.

You've provided no proof or evidence for anything, and talking with you legitimately feels like talking to a brick wall.
I told you over and over again that the online score system is the best system we have right now.You keep bringing up Cinemascore which is an awful system but you don't seem to listen.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not alt right and I didn't like it. Mostly for shit like ramming the capital ship at the end using hyper space. In the Star Wars universe you jump into a pocket dimension when you jump so you can't collide with anything as you jump.

And then there's A New Hope:
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"

Not everything is a conspiracy.Some people just make different videos about popular stuff.

Exactly.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, that completely answered my question. I don't know what I was expecting.

I don't either.

All of the normal people I know liked it aka friends, co-workers, wife and my kids, their friends at school etc...

They all were like cool another solid Star Wars flick, and my kids wanted the Blu-ray.

I've yet to IRL actually meet this large swath of people that hate this film with a passion.

*Shrugs*

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
The last Transformers movie got a B+ cinemascore.That should tell you how reliable cinemascore is.

Is your argument here that the last Transformers wasn't well liked by general audiences? Because nobody here is trying to argue that Cinemascore is any kind of measure of artistic merit.

It seems to me that you're getting confused about what you're trying to say.

And either way I'll happily argue that online user scoring is unfit for accurately demonstrating general audience appeal or any kind of artistic consensus.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Is your argument here that the last Transformers wasn't well liked by general audiences? Because nobody here is trying to argue that Cinemascore is any kind of measure of artistic merit.

It seems to me that you're getting confused about what you're trying to say.

And either way I'll happily argue that online user scoring is unfit for accurately demonstrating general audience appeal or any kind of artistic consensus.
If the movie was so liked then why did it bomb at box office?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that was the case they would have been able to obliterate the Death Star by ramming it with capital ships.
No, they couldn't due to the size difference and also because the Rebels didn't have any ships to sacrifice. Let alone there was the issue of getting close enough to Death Star to begin with.

That's what I mean, these so called plotholes are not plotholes to begin with.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, that completely answered my question. I don't know what I was expecting.
I mean, it was a shit-stirring question. You couldn't have expected a satisfactory answer to it.
I told you over and over again that the online score system is the best system we have right now.You keep bringing up Cinemascore which is an awful system but you don't seem to listen.

Your point against Cinemascore is that it is a poor gauge of film quality. That's a fair point, but it's completely beside the point. This debate has been over what the best measure of audience reaction is--and not whether those reactions are "correct" for a given movie.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
More pointless projects such as Kenobi the never told story or Bobba Fett the movie etc... Rian Trilogy is going to be "extremely fun" based on what he did with TLJ.

Meh , we'll see.

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
A good cinemascore does not mean shit. At all. It's really weird some of you guys think it does. Not sure what on Earth would give you this idea.

Cinemascore is absolutely notorious for shitty movies and flops getting As. Absolutely notorious. It essentially just means the audience sat and watched the movie. Maybe a little more than that, but thats it. It certainly doesn't mean an enduring love for the movie. At all. The most common score for a movie on it is A. Let me repeat that, the most common score is an A. How often is a cinemascore advertised versus rottentomatoes? Cinemascore is mostly notable for when its a bad score because its so fucking rare. That's virtually the only time people talk about. Going back to cinemascore over and over is an absolute joke.

My favorite Star Wars movie is TLJ, but to keep insisting that the only reason people think Kennedy did a bad job, or people here dislike TLJ is sexism is fucking preposterous. The movies have not been that good.

TFA, plenty of people shredded it for being boring fanwank, a retread of the original. No one gives a shit about Rogue One, anymore despite some initial positive vibes. That movie is just not very good at all. Solo sucked.

Honestly, its just pathetic that some of you guys cannot accept any criticism and engage with that, instead just screaming that all criticism is because people are sexist. Even at the other place, the way you guys would get so defensive over favorites was just ridiculous. I remember how hysterical people were over Homecoming.

Kennedys movies have been all over the place. They are not cohesive. Its weird that there wasn't much of a creative plan between TFA and TLJ, a dereliction of duty almost. TFA was trying to do one thing, and TLJ did something else. And now back to Abrams. It really doesn't make much sense. And not to mention all the directors that were fired or sidelined. It's been a rocky road. Not particularly impressive.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
A good cinemascore does not mean shit. At all. It's really weird some of you guys think it does. Not sure what on Earth would give you this idea.

Cinemascore is absolutely notorious for shitty movies and flops getting As. Absolutely notorious. It essentially just means the audience sat and watched the movie. Maybe a little more than that, but thats it. It certainly doesn't mean an enduring love for the movie. At all. How often is a cinemascore advertised versus rottentomatoes? Cinemascore is mostly notable for when its a bad score because its so fucking rare. That's virtually the only time people talk about.

My favorite Star Wars movie is TLJ, but to keep insisting that the only reason people think Kennedy did a bad job, or people here dislike TLJ is sexism is fucking preposterous. The movies have not been that good.

TFA, plenty of people shredded it for being boring fanwank, a retread of the original. No one gives a shit about Rogue One, anymore despite some initial positive vibes. That movie is just not very good at all. Solo sucked.

Honestly, its just pathetic that some of you guys cannot accept any criticism and engage with that, instead just screaming that all criticism is because people are sexist. Even at the other place, the way you guys would get so defensive over favorites was just ridiculous. I remember how hysterical people were over Homecoming.

Kennedys movies have been all over the place. They are not cohesive. Its weird that there wasn't much of a creative plan between TFA and TLJ, a dereliction of duty almost. TFA was trying to do one thing, and TLJ did something else. And now back to Abrams. It really doesn't make much sense. And not to mention all the directors that were fired or sidelined. It's been a rocky road. Not particularly impressive.

Agreed. TFA for me though is the stronger movie had such a great set up. Baffles me they went into a trilogy without a straight follow through, and want to just wing it as they go with one of the most iconic ips around.