• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Star Wars' Comic Writer Chuck Wendig Says Marvel Fired Him For Social Media Behavior

Oct 25, 2017
HR said:
Wendig has been outspoken about his liberal political views on Twitter. Earlier this month he drew the attention of well-known conservative personalities such as filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza and Ben Shapiro with a series of tweets surrounding the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who had been accused of sexual assault. His firing comes after Marvel Studios parent company Disney fired James Gunn as director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3over old, offensive tweets that had been resurfaced by conservative personalities.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fires-star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-1151966

Full thread:

Oct 27, 2017

He's been very vocal against the alt-right. Throughout the thread he goes on to discuss the harassment he and others have received as well as the constant one star reviews he received on his Aftermath books right when they came out. It was just announced last week he would work on the last 2 issues of a mini-series for Star Wars titled "Shadow of Vader"

Oct 25, 2017
Commentary like Mojo in X-Men Black suddenly becomes a lot less scathing when these fucksticks can get the Marvel writers they don't like fired by getting a rise out of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is really fucked up. Chuck is one of my favorite people on Twitter and he never even says anything that offensive. Seems like he only got fired from Marvel so it's conceivable he could write more Star Wars books in the future, probably not comics though.

Nov 20, 2017
Chuck is an absolute dude. Everything I've ever read of his has been absolutely political but the right sort of politics.

For those who don't know his writing blog is absolute gold. Fuck Marvel, hail Wendig.

Oct 26, 2017
Chuck is a great follow on Twitter and everyone would do well to read the stuff he posts.

Also I would 100% tell him to tone it the fuck down if he worked for me ngl

Oct 26, 2017
Dan Slott still gets away with harassing fans but criticize the state of the country and a few bad words? Out.

What the shit is going on?

Oct 25, 2017
The editorial staff over at Marvel comics is ran by a bunch of cowards who are bending over backwards to appease despicable human beings.

Nov 1, 2017
The editorial staff over at Marvel comics is ran by a bunch of cowards who are bending over backwards to appease despicable human beings.
It's their money they can do what they want with it. People have to adapt to it. Suspend or delete your Facebook, twitter or Instagram accounts. Real talk.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel keeps on catering to the Alt-Right. Fuck off Marvel.
Disney is a bunch of cowards, overall. We're learning that more and more these days. They pretend to be progressive and open but they're so afraid of the alt-right that they keep playing directly into their hands.

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, Lucasfilm wouldn't give a shit about lefty politics when Lucas himself is a lefty philanthropist married to a black woman. But Disney and Marvel...

Yeah, them fuckers have always been cowards.

Nov 10, 2017
I've always been a little salty toward him when tossed all of the fans of the old EU under the bus during the early days of the new star wars EU. Haven't read much of the new star wars EU so whatever.

Don't fuck with twitter people.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's their money they can do what they want with it. People have to adapt to it. Suspend or delete your Facebook, twitter or Instagram accounts. Real talk.
Better idea: Disney can realize that it's alright for their creators to have goddamn opinions. As long as they aren't being prejudiced or advocating for the pain/suffering/death of others, people who make content for Disney should be allowed to have lives and personalities instead of just being soulless creatorbots.

Oct 26, 2017
I've always been a little salty toward him when tossed all of the fans of the old EU under the bus during the early days of the new star wars EU. Haven't read much of the new star wars EU so whatever.

Man as a dude who read a lot of the old EU stuff his writing is better than 99% of it so you should totally give it a shot.

Oct 27, 2017

How?

Also, all EU is trash.

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So basically as a creator, you're better off just staying off social media altogether (or at least twitter)... or shut up and take the abuse. Sets a pretty bad precedent, good job Marvel

Oct 25, 2017
How is this hard? If you are about to work for any company owned by Disney, gtfo of twitter or any platform where history is saved. Lol
This really isn't a Disney thing, it's a Marvel comics thing.

And I was talking more about it being their money and them doing whatever they want with it.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
LOL this dude worked at Marvel? I see him get retweeted every so often and it's just non-stop shit-talk. lefties aren't invincible.

I agree with this and it is very disturbing.

I also find it disturbing that this particular contingent of individuals has enough market share and interest in this content that swaying their opinions allegedly matters to these companies. Seriously fucked up.