• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The editorial staff over at Marvel comics is ran by a bunch of cowards who are bending over backwards to appease despicable human beings.
I agree with this and it is very disturbing.

I also find it disturbing that this particular contingent of individuals has enough market share and interest in this content that swaying their opinions allegedly matters to these companies. Seriously fucked up.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably too optimistic. They're probably just pro-Trump.
26-evil-captain-america.w700.h700.jpg

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Fuck Disney for nonstop catering to cyber nazis.

Oh how great and progressive they are but when nobody is looking they are cowards with no backbone when its about disposable employees.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017

So - " You've upset the nazis and we don't like the stuff they say on socials so this is your fault" ?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For context, right-wing/anti-diversity Star Wars "fans" have had their knives out for Wendig for years. His 2015 book Aftermath introduced the first LGBT characters in Star Wars.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man as a dude who read a lot of the old EU stuff his writing is better than 99% of it so you should totally give it a shot.

I'm done with anything not on screen, too much good stuff that isn't an expansion or conversation.

How?

Also, all EU is trash.

Tbh this is off the top of my head and it turned me against him, so I've gotta look it up.

You'll never take the NJO away from me Boss.

I watch the new films tho, nothing terrible has happened with them, don't mind the new direction. (mostly bc I no longer really care)

Edit: So I looked up his blog and read what he wrote about old EU fans.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2016/04/20/an-open-letter-to-the-bring-back-legends-star-wars-fans/

I misremembered. Most likely I had read an article about the unending nastiness that was going on between certain #bringbacklegends people and chuck and various outlets. It was shitty. I had been part of a reddit and even a facebook group at the time but had to distance myself. The whole fucking thing turned me against chuck, Disney, fellow #bringbacklegends, new EU/story fans, the whole fucking thing.

Sorry chuck, you didn't deserve to be fired and I misremembered.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is those that complain the loudest never have and never will read your books

Oct 27, 2017
Oh? Interesting how you seem to know more about this situation than the person who got fired.

I doubt Chuck knows the full story either, like where the decision came from originally beyond what he was told. But I will say that claiming that the editorial staff at Marvel is Pro-Trump is..............not accurate.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This thing where Disney and Marvel hire outspoken progressive individuals to bring their talents to Disney/Marvel franchises, offer absolutely no tangible support to these individuals who are now on a platform with a very toxic fanbase, and then fire those writers when there's even mild pushback is, uh, less than good. But I'm sure Akira Yoshida is on the case and will handle things. Behind the scenes, of course, with no transparency.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

So - " You've upset the nazis and we don't like the stuff they say on socials so this is your fault" ?

I have no problem with companies having and implementing a social media policy that keeps their employees tweeting banal things.

I DO have a problem with companies summarily firing someone for crossing some invisible line they weren't told about before.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Disney for nonstop catering to cyber nazis.

Oh how great and progressive they are but when nobody is looking they are cowards with no backbone when its about disposable employees.
Funnily enough it seems to be the top people that are fine with this

Looks like Paniccia has been at this a while.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say they were, so what about my post isn't true? Are you calling Chuck Wendig a liar?

Nah, I edited my post. He's only telling us what he was told but that may not be necessarily the actual truth. I doubt the choice to let him go came directly from the editor choices like that wouldn't be taken lightly, especially for someone as high profile as Chuck.

Claiming that they are bending over backwards to appease the toxic fanbase is a pretty bad representation of the staff over there considering how many of them are currently being targeted by Comicsgate.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know about this. Other Marvel writers are very actively political and could be considered, uh I guess "worse", if you look at it through a Disney lens. Take Leah Williams for example who talks about all the X-Men being gay and Wolverine sucking dick on a daily basis (she's hilarious btw)

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Was Robbi Rodríguez, creator of Spider-Gwen, fired for tweeting an actual pic of his asshole to ComicsGate? Because I think that's under the same definition as this.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I love Marvel as a franchise but this shit -- especially from the comics side of it -- is trash. Hopefully Feige can take this shit over once ikes crusty ass kicks rocks, and fixes this nonsense.

Not the first shitty thing from marvel. Disappointing and will continue to vote with my wallet.

Oct 27, 2017
This is very unpersuasive without some explanation of why you believe this.

Shrug. That's fine. The editorial staff aren't hidden. You can look up their names and social media accounts. I'm not saying there aren't any Trump people that work for Marvel Comics but to paint them with a broad brush like that seems a bit weird, no? How many of them are currently targeted by the alt-right Comicsgate crowd?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I edited my post. He's only telling us what he was told but that may not be necessarily the actual truth. I doubt the choice to let him go came directly from the editor choices like that wouldn't be taken lightly, especially for someone as high profile as Chuck.

Claiming that they are bending over backwards to appease the toxic fanbase is a pretty bad representation of the staff over there considering how many of them are currently being targeted by Comicsgate.
And yet they just fired Chuck over Comicgate assholes.

And why, exactly, do you feel like you have more authority to speak about what happened to Chuck than Chuck himself? Sounds like he was told exactly the reasons he was fired but you're like, "Nah".

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you work for a big company stay the fuck out of twitter, no matter how good your intentions are, it's not worth the risk. Everyone should've learn that lesson by now.

Oct 26, 2017
I follow this guy on Twitter. He is genuinely enjoyable and insightful, albeit longwinded at times. A shame for him to be fired for taking our trash politicians to task.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Then again, CB is trying to get Bryne and Chaykin got a gig recently
I wouldn't hold my breath
Disney and Marvel care about money and branding. If this gets big enough something will happen.
Was Robbi Rodríguez, creator of Spider-Gwen, get fired for tweeting an actual pic of his asshole to ComicsGate? Because I think that's under the same definition as this.
No.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Free speech doesn't mean there are no repercussions for what you say. While I may agree with what is being written it doesn't mean a company has to take on the burden of consequence for actions by their employees. Hopefully the consequences are worth the message.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Not familiar with him but this sucks.
These recent developments at Marvel are quite disheartening. I had such high hopes for the Cebulski era before the Yoshida thing was revealed...

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Free speech doesn't mean there are no repercussions for what you say. While I may agree with what is being written it doesn't mean a company has to take on the burden of consequence for actions by their employees. Hopefully the consequences are worth the message.

Well said.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is BS. Chuck is great. I hope he gets scooped up by DC. Marvel keeps making terrible decisions.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
Just sounds more and more like social media isn't worth it when you start getting eyes on you.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Mark Paniccia is a bad editor and has been for a while.

I'm not surprised by this, but sad that Marvel let it happen.

Hopefully the uproar makes them flake out.

Oct 27, 2017
And why, exactly, do you feel like you have more authority to speak about what happened to Chuck than Chuck himself? Sounds like he was told exactly the reasons he was fired but you're like, "Nah".

I don't. Never said I did. I'm voicing my read on the situation. I don't think the choice to let him go came directly from the editor. Seems like a bigger choice that came from higher up the chain. I fully believe the reason he was let go, however.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Annnnnd, someone on twitter noticed Mark follows EVS.

The monsters are coming from inside the house.