• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And they are complicit in allowing our country to fall into fascism. The 3 year olds ripped from their parents and stuck in concentration camps are on them.

Absolutely. I might think less of the people who get miffed about this guy's language but ignore Trump and co. than Trump's actual supporters.

At least the latter groups actively and openly embraces their personal shittiness.

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Politics + work + social media. Just don't do it.

And after reading that twitter tirade he made, i can see why Marvel fired him. He just went off the rails.

MajinArekkusu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It's becoming increasingly likely that employers will fire you if you take to public forums and behave badly. This isn't a new concept, and the chances increase as your status and visibility increase. Businesses don't thrive on divisiveness, where an employee (or employees) alienates a significant percentage of potential customers because partisan politics or other questionable public behavior.

And I am not taking the side of some alt right nazi scum here, just stating what is happening.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
In 2018 you doing political rants on social media it's hard for me to feel bad. This wasn't a guy that just gave an option and got doxxed.

I keep politics off my social media pages. Just pics of funny cats and memes.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Trump: "Yeah, this alleged rape victim is a big liar. A phony. She made the whole thing up." *mimics her voice in an insulting fashion*

Some Writer at Disney/Marvel: "Fuck you."

Marvel: Woah, woah! That's going too far, you're fired.
I'm starting to believe the rumor that Marvel edits out the Trump jokes in their books.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes. "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK SHIT SHIT SHIT!!"
He should really articulate his feelings and anger in a more professional manner. But this is the guy that wrote Aftermath so I should have expected this tbh
When a rapist fascist is locking away children in concentration camps, I think that's about the best time to say "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK SHIT SHIT SHIT!!"

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
In 2018 you doing political rants on social media it's hard for me to feel bad. This wasn't a guy that just gave an option and got doxxed.

Quite the opposite, in 2018 all gloves should be off because the survival of the species is now in question. Risking one's job seems minor in comparison.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I'd say treat it how my parents always talked about dinner. Don't talk politics or religion.

When kids are in cages, that's a cowardly stance to take. Plenty of creators are outspoken about politics and don't get fired.

I remember you from the gaming side. You're one of those people that believes that art can be separated from politics, if I recall. I also remember you bailing a thread instead of answering a question I had about cases where women or LGBT people are targeted because of their status as minorities, which would be others making their very existence inherently political.

Your stance is cowardly, and you can only have that stance because you don't feel like you're affected by the political atmosphere in the US (or wherever you live) right now.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I'm lumping in anyone defending his firing with alt right apologists. Because that's what you come off as. Artists and creators need to express themselves; it's kind of the backbone of being an artist in general.

Some of the replies in this thread are really disappointing. Shaking their fingers at him for getting angry over real things happening in the US, while they sit back behind their keyboards and probably assume that none of it affects them.

To keep crying for civility when one side of the political spectrum is systematically breaking down our institutions that allow for civility is cowardly at best, malignant at worst.

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I don't know about Marvel/Star Wars but for Disney workers you sign a contract that states you will not share religious or political views on social media, amongst all the other things you cannot share on social media. They are even forbidden to take pictures in 'backstage' areas like offices without permission from the higher ups.

Usually these are just ignored until it causes enough waves to be noticed then yup, you fired or at the very least very disciplined.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When kids are in cages, that's a cowardly stance to take. Plenty of creators are outspoken about politics and don't get fired.

I remember you from the gaming side. You're one of those people that believes that art can be separated from politics, if I recall. I also remember you bailing a thread instead of answering a question I had about cases where women or LGBT people are targeted because of their status as minorities, which would be others making their very existence inherently political.

Your stance is cowardly, and you can only have that stance because you don't feel like you're affected by the political atmosphere in the US (or wherever you live) right now.

Some of the replies in this thread are really disappointing. Shaking their fingers at him for getting angry over real things happening in the US, while they sit back behind their keyboards and probably assume that none of it affects them.

To keep crying for civility when one side of the political spectrum is systematically breaking down our institutions that allow for civility is cowardly at best, malignant at worst.
Do you have a corporate job where you have to support a family? Are you independently wealthy? Many of us can't risk our lives just to rant on social media .

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

He wasn't ranting tho

Edit: guess he was but he was right so eh

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Quite the opposite, in 2018 all gloves should be off because the survival of the species is now in question. Risking one's job seems minor in comparison.

Yes, the great Twitter Wars of the early 21st Century...

People are being round up and put in concentration camps. Nothing going on right now is a joke.

Absolutely no joke. But it is a joke pretending you're doing something about it on your twitter soapbox getting emotional and fired from your job. Won't even have money to donate to causes actually putting in work....

So yea, don't get fired cause of social media and donate personal time and money if you wanna be righteous to the cause.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
He wasn't ranting tho

Edit: guess he was but he was right so eh

Being right doesn't matter if you're making your company look bad and thus get let go for it.

I'm not saying no one is allowed to express political opinions but you can't be ignorant to the fact you're treading lightly.

I wonder how many people bitch on social media but then won't vote in the midterms...

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the great Twitter Wars of the early 21st Century...

Absolutely no joke. But it is a joke pretending you're doing something about it on your twitter soapbox getting emotional and fired from your job. Won't even have money to donate to causes actually putting in work....

So yea, don't get fired cause of social media and donate personal time and money if you wanna be righteous to the cause.

If social media is so unimportant for these causes, why does Russia have such a huge network of fake/bot accounts?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
All I'm saying is you do absolutely fuck all getting fired for bitching about politics the wrong way on social media. Trying to frame this as some martyr taking one for the cause is asinine to me. Don't follow that idiotic example.

I mean if you got the funds to lose your job and pay your bills to rant on Twitter to stop global warming God bless. Do you. For the rest of us with families please understand....

If social media is so unimportant for these causes, why does Russia have such a huge network of fake/bot accounts?

Planting fake new stories and just ranting like a lunatic are two entirely different subjects to be discussed. Don't conflate the two.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, because how dare anyone ever be allowed to openly express contempt for how things are going politically? Apparently that makes it cool to have people trying to get you fired?

Like, yeah, sure, he said it in a sorta juvenile manner, whatever. But you're saying political rants in general should be a thing people can't do? Really?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Planting fake new stories and just ranting like a lunatic are two entirely different subjects to be discussed. Don't conflate the two.

If you look at his 'ranting', you'll see that his followers are just as angry as he is about the political situation, and the heinous acts committed on a daily basis by this regime. Angry people vote.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you look at his 'ranting', you'll see that his followers are just as angry as he is about the political situation, and the heinous acts committed on a daily basis by this regime. Angry people vote.

People that vote vote. He has no excuse now since he doesn't have a job. I wouldn't use him as the poster boy for how folks should be doing it. Not being able to pay your bills isn't a good position to be in. Hope his followers will help him if he struggles financially.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People that vote vote. He has no excuse now since he doesn't have a job. I wouldn't use him as the poster boy for how folks should be doing it. Not being able to pay your bills isn't a good position to be in. Hope his followers will help him if he struggles financially.

...doesn't have a job? What the fuck are you talking about? He's an author with well over 20 books published and more on the way.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

He only lost a job, not his job. Dudes a writer and as he said in his tweets about the firing he's working on more novels anyway so he'll be fine. The only thing he's not doing now is writing comics for marvel.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
He only lost a job, not his job. Dudes a writer and as he said in his tweets about the firing he's working on more novels anyway so he'll be fine. The only thing he's not doing now is writing comics for marvel.

Excellent. But I'll still say this is an exception, not the rule.

...doesn't have a job? What the fuck are you talking about? He's an author with well over 20 books published and more on the way.

Sorry was more thinking editorial job and got that part twisted. I fucking apologize. But my fucking point stands: For 99.9% of us that aren't fucking authors keeping our political rants off social media is a good thing.

Fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
"He was too mean to the nazis on social media so he deserved to get fired and should have known better because corporations care about nazis and their money."

And y'all saying social media doesnt have an influence, it totally does. Twitter, YouTube, and the internet in general have become primary outlets for political discourse and recruitment.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
For 99.9% of us that aren't fucking authors keeping our political rants off social media is a good thing.

Fuck.
Its only a 'good thing' because you're protecting yourself against corporate oppression. The only time someone should get fired for political views is if they're alt right or fascist views. We should be able to express political views that are on the side of truth and justice. It's not a good thing that people can get fired for expressing themselves in that sense. A company like marvel looks bad not for allowing someone like this guy to express his views, but for firing him for it. Marvel is the one who looks bad here.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Racists money spend too.

Scared ass companies, ain't like they'll boycott y'all. Also shows that shitty people that share these opinions have high positions in these companies.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Do you have a corporate job where you have to support a family? Are you independently wealthy? Many of us can't risk our lives just to rant on social media .

Nope. But Wendig isn't in a tenuous financial position, either. He's already made that clear.

Were I in his position, I'd check with the company to see if they had a social media policy. A clear one, even. I doubt Marvel has one, or if they do, they don't enforce it considering how Slott used to stalk people who would so much utter a world of criticism to Spider-Man when he was working on it.

If they didn't have a policy, I'd advocate for one. Fuck this arbitrary firing of people for expressing genuine anger at the downright heinous bullshit the current administration in the US is doing. And fuck those who just sit back and wag their finger at him and pretend that he did this in a vacuum.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a shame that it was because of politics, but Chuck was a god awful writer (Aftermath is one of the worst Star Wars books ever made), and he responded to questions about continuity from the fans by calling them stupid for caring about it. Good riddance.