• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
HR said:
Wendig has been outspoken about his liberal political views on Twitter. Earlier this month he drew the attention of well-known conservative personalities such as filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza and Ben Shapiro with a series of tweets surrounding the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who had been accused of sexual assault. His firing comes after Marvel Studios parent company Disney fired James Gunn as director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3over old, offensive tweets that had been resurfaced by conservative personalities.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fires-star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-1151966

Full thread:

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

0a22ef9a5035b097b3523b5e124fe848.png

He's been very vocal against the alt-right. Throughout the thread he goes on to discuss the harassment he and others have received as well as the constant one star reviews he received on his Aftermath books right when they came out. It was just announced last week he would work on the last 2 issues of a mini-series for Star Wars titled "Shadow of Vader"

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember kids, it's not the content of your tweets but how much noise people can make about them. Companies don't want the drama so they'll drop you before they stick up for you.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Commentary like Mojo in X-Men Black suddenly becomes a lot less scathing when these fucksticks can get the Marvel writers they don't like fired by getting a rise out of them.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is really fucked up. Chuck is one of my favorite people on Twitter and he never even says anything that offensive. Seems like he only got fired from Marvel so it's conceivable he could write more Star Wars books in the future, probably not comics though.

Nov 20, 2017
Chuck is an absolute dude. Everything I've ever read of his has been absolutely political but the right sort of politics.

For those who don't know his writing blog is absolute gold. Fuck Marvel, hail Wendig.

Oct 28, 2017
England
An absolutely cowardly act from Marvel. Capitulating to the worst in society yet again.

Also, looks like this wasn't an act of LucasFilm, for future reference in the thread:

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chuck is a great follow on Twitter and everyone would do well to read the stuff he posts.

Also I would 100% tell him to tone it the fuck down if he worked for me ngl

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Dan Slott still gets away with harassing fans but criticize the state of the country and a few bad words? Out.

What the shit is going on?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The editorial staff over at Marvel comics is ran by a bunch of cowards who are bending over backwards to appease despicable human beings.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The editorial staff over at Marvel comics is ran by a bunch of cowards who are bending over backwards to appease despicable human beings.
It's their money they can do what they want with it. People have to adapt to it. Suspend or delete your Facebook, twitter or Instagram accounts. Real talk.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, Lucasfilm wouldn't give a shit about lefty politics when Lucas himself is a lefty philanthropist married to a black woman. But Disney and Marvel...

Yeah, them fuckers have always been cowards.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I've always been a little salty toward him when tossed all of the fans of the old EU under the bus during the early days of the new star wars EU. Haven't read much of the new star wars EU so whatever.

Don't fuck with twitter people.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's their money they can do what they want with it. People have to adapt to it. Suspend or delete your Facebook, twitter or Instagram accounts. Real talk.

Better idea: Disney can realize that it's alright for their creators to have goddamn opinions. As long as they aren't being prejudiced or advocating for the pain/suffering/death of others, people who make content for Disney should be allowed to have lives and personalities instead of just being soulless creatorbots.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always been a little salty toward him when tossed all of the fans of the old EU under the bus during the early days of the new star wars EU. Haven't read much of the new star wars EU so whatever.

Don't fuck with twitter people.

Man as a dude who read a lot of the old EU stuff his writing is better than 99% of it so you should totally give it a shot.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So basically as a creator, you're better off just staying off social media altogether (or at least twitter)... or shut up and take the abuse. Sets a pretty bad precedent, good job Marvel

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
How is this hard? If you are about to work for any company owned by Disney, gtfo of twitter or any platform where history is saved. Lol
This really isn't a Disney thing, it's a Marvel comics thing.

And I was talking more about it being their money and them doing whatever they want with it.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
LOL this dude worked at Marvel? I see him get retweeted every so often and it's just non-stop shit-talk. lefties aren't invincible.