• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
swd01_anc_slider.jpg

Star Wars Destiny is a Living Card Game brought to you by your frenemies at Fantasy Flight Games. What's a Living Card Game? Well let's let the marketers at FFG explain!

A Living Card Game® (LCG®) offers an innovative fixed distribution method that breaks away from the traditional Collectible Card Game model. While LCGs still offer the same dynamic, expanding, and constantly evolving game play that makes CCGs so much fun, they do away with the deterrent of the blind-buy purchase model that has burned out so many players. The end result is an innovative mix that gives you the best of both worlds!

The Core Set is the heart of a LCG. Each LCG's Core Set is a completely self-contained game experience packed with content, including high-quality game pieces and immersive game aides designed to enhance play. Additionally, each Core Set contains multiple decks that provide an exciting and infinitely replayable game experience right out of the box.

lcg-boxes.png

While the LCG Core Sets provide a fantastic stand-alone game experience, those that wish to can expand even further! Monthly installments of expansion packs, each with a full playset of fixed cards, provide ongoing and regular additions to the available card pool. These expansion packs add customization, variety, and an ongoing sense of theme to your experiences with the game, while evolving the play environment in exciting new ways.

Anyways, Star Wars Destiny is the new type of LCG mixing in elements of Collectible Card Games addiction forming habits of buying packs to build decks. From there you compose a team of either heroes or villains and do battle in the galaxy.

HOW DO I PLAY?
Here's a video actually that explains what Star Wars Destiny is.

Technically this game supports up to 4 players, but no one who is sane would ever play that way and it's more of a parlour trick to do that. So, you should play with two people.

What you do is make up a deck consisting of 30 cards. You can have as many heroes and "elite heroes" (two dice) as you want, just as long as you don't go over 30 points.

Screenshot_8.jpg

Like in the bottom left here, playing Chewie would be 12 points, but putting die on him would be 16, leaving you 14 points to add heroes.

Why should I play this Star Wars game?
You shouldn't. It's addicting, a money pit and you will hate FFG as much as everyone else does after week one. But if you really want to put up with that, you'll be rewarded with a actually fun dueling game that has unique mechanics and such. Plus it's not super expensive (yet) to play, and the new two player core set will get you decent decks to "compete" or atleast have fun, unlike the prior ones.

I heard you have to buy 8 core sets of L4R and AGoT is that the same here?
swd08_box_left.png

No, not really. If you want to compete you want 2 boxes of the two player set per person along with booster packs of all three expansion (or if you have the money complete boxes) to round out into decks you want. Like any good old CCG, it's all down to luck with the booster packs, so most people elect to buy singles from places like CoolStuffInc to actually make a deck they want to use.

Where can I find decks?
Easy, https://swdestinydb.com/decklists.

I have no friends but I want to learn this game, how do I do this?
This is also easy, but you will probably become bored soon. But luckily Tabletop Simulator for PC has support for Star Wars Destiny, and you can actually import decks from SWDestinyDB to use and tool around with, it's really cool. New to TTS? Don't be afraid, just post in this thread and myself or someone else will walk you through how to play.

Whats coming to Star Wars Destiny?
swd10_main.png
swd09_main.png

Two new Starter Core Decks
swd11_main.png

A new "rotation" with Legacies (rip Awakenings I bet soon)
swd06_main.png

Draft Mode

So there's alot coming to Star Wars Destiny. The game originally faltered due to demand and availability, but it seems to have picked up alot. So grab a core set or a copy of Tabletop Simulator and welcome to the galaxy!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stealing this post from SA:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...-9fc2-d8fac35eb8bb/swd_rules_reference_15.pdf

New RRG is out.

2P Phasma +1 point.
FN2199, Awk Poe, Unkar +2 points.
Vibroknife is "this die or this die modifies".
Imperial Inspection is "set aside after use".
Can now discard to reroll zero dice.
It's A Trap and Hear of Battle both 2 dice max.
Redeploy clarified.

=================

Rest in Piece Thrawnkar, but good riddence and also thank god for Vibro nerf.

Don't think Phasma needed one though :/

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
As a hero player so glad for these nerfs. Now we just need some negative point plots to fix the overcosting problem.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Played my Hera/Maz/Rookie Pilot tonight and got off a planned explosion. Also played a 3 player game which was cool.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm a simpleton so i'm not sure if i'm looking forward to plots. I guess it's a good way to fill out dead points and to make stuff like Epalp possibly good again but eh

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm stoked for the plot cards. May as well use the points for something, and if the effects are in line with the couple shown they won't be anything too drastic.

I just got into the game a couple of weeks ago but one thing I'm really digging is the inclusion of all eras. The downside of it for FFG is that most of the characters I care about have already been made and I doubt I buy multiple versions so I can't see me buying stuff for it too much longer. Maul, Savage Oppress, E1 Obi, Kallus, Snoke, Yoda, and Clone Troopers are the main things still missing I care about. And I'd wager at least a couple of those are in Legacies. I'm getting to the point where I might just get the few singles I really want from a set.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Awakenings should be rotated out soon so there technically won't be multiples of every character

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way awakenings is going to be rotating for at least another full year. If it does I'll quit. That's way too short. Plus I've heard the rotation on their other games is a lot longer than Magic and Pokemon's.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well Awakenings should be rotated out soon so there technically won't be multiples of every character

I just make some decks top play when I have people over so things rotating out don't really effect me.

I'm still surprised FG is putting Boba Fett as a starter character. Good on 'em. Now to figure out which version of Slave 1 I want to use in a Jango/Boba deck.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if awakenings is rotated out in the next few mo this. I'll quit too probably but slot of those cards just can't compete anymore

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been keeping an eye on this game and FFG made an announcement about rotation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SKEopEgz0g&t=299s

Basically rotation won't happen for at least another 12 months.

Original article.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/8/swd-what-lies-ahead/

Also there will be an official format called Infinite which allows all Destiny cards to be played so your old cards will have some use.

I actually don't play but the game has gained popularity in my area which has me considering it.

Last edited:

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah a lot of the guys I play with aren't happy about rotation but it's a necessary evil. The games with it (Pokemon and magic) seem way healthier and balanced then those without it (yugioh).

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a lack of Rotation harms Yu-Gi-Oh. I think it's actually up there with Magic in terms of popularity and is even bigger in Asian regions. They get around balance with a Ban and restricted list, whether its good or not i'm undecided. I am a fan of it's lack of rotation though. Funny enough the game at the top level is more expensive than Magic and Magic Standard is budget compared to Yugioh.

Oct 25, 2017
Do many people still actively play? There don't seem to be Black Friday deals, but someone recently taught me how to play and I was feeling the ill-advised urge to spend monies.

However, glancing around Facebook and the internet, very few people seem to play anymore and the game appears to have gone rather dark. My local game store has a weekly casual event but I'll have to check how many players go. Is it just a lull while FFG figures out the rotation, rules, and upcoming Legacies set?

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFGckinda screwed themselves when awakenings came out and it was like impossible to find.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I am looking to offload my collection. I bought both starters, Awakenings Gravity Feed, Spirit of Rebellion Gravity Feed, one or two small packs from each...Miniature Market is offering $100.70 for just some of my cards but hoping to offload it all for $100. I am surprised they didn't take any locations or the Jedi Starfighter.

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking to offload my collection. I bought both starters, Awakenings Gravity Feed, Spirit of Rebellion Gravity Feed, one or two small packs from each...Miniature Market is offering $100.70 for just some of my cards but hoping to offload it all for $100. I am surprised they didn't take any locations or the Jedi Starfighter.
Sent you a PM.

For other people, even if you don't play, do you see anyone locally playing?

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sent you a PM.

The game has a huge scene in Melbourne Australia and Nationals where hosted here. The only other FFG stuff that sees play here are Xwing which is massive and Netrunner sees some fringe play.

As a Magic player SW Destinys popularity surprised me actually as i wrote it off initially. I only just bought my first starter set cards during Black Friday and am keen to get involved.

OP
OP
Sylar

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thinking of selling all my stuff too. No community for this anymore where I am

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Sent you a PM.

Replied back...

I know my FLGS tried to do casual Destiny but no one really showed. One time I showed, some guy destroyed me with cards I'd never seen before and just wasn't friendly about the experience, didn't even try to nurture a newbie. I tried teaching a local magic friend the game and he was all over the place with impressions but ultimately disliked it and spent so much time ragging on it and how Magic is better.

I really enjoy playing the game. But in the end, this was my first CCG and that type of game just isn't for me. I'd love to play more but the upkeep is too much.

Oct 25, 2017
The local group sounds welcoming so I'm still interested.

I also just read over the Rivals Draft announcement which sounds cool, though no release date is a bit annoying. However, am I understanding correctly that every draft game you play requires you to buy 6 boosters (e.g. $20-$30 USD)? I could understand that for a tournament, but it's rough for casual play. Maybe some people will use the draft rules but manually put the boosters back together? That would seem to give the best of both worlds to me.

*edit* I played Magic maybe once or twice in my life, so I didn't realize this basically already exists and is called a "cube draft". :P I imagine people will try to port that to Destiny once the Rivals Draft packs come out.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Managed to get in get a box or two and had a blast with the first two waves at a tiny shop in the middle of nowhere Wyoming where I did a job last winter. Had a good time with the small community of about 6 people, and managed to build some pretty effective decks that took everyone out(did a Jango/AurraE that was brutal), but nobody had complete sets and a meta never really formed. Problem is I've sworn off blind packs, I'm probably an hour at least from the nearest store that runs it, and I'm on a tight budget. But if I got the chance I'd totally hit up a sealed event. I've got what I need for a casual collection but never hurts to add more.

Lets see, sealed was a draft pack and 8 boosters right? ~$40 honestly I'd love that action along with the even playing field. I kinda miss the competitive scene of a small shop, my nearest place is far too meta on what is played, and no destiny. Also my luckiest draws were 2 Lukes from 25 boosters in the first wave. And While I may not be doing boosters outside of events, the new starters do tempt me

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to game night with our two starter sets, me playing villains and my fiance playing heroes. Since E-Kylo and E-Phasma are technically illegal now, someone was nice enough to give me a red villain (Hux) so I could use him instead of Phasma.

The small group was friendly and didn't yell at us too much, though one guy got pretty stern telling me I need to be like clockwork since I was forgetting to activate Kylo's ability almost EVERY SINGLE TIME. By my third game I finally got it.

They donated maybe 3-4 dice and 10 or so extra cards so we could have padding in our decks, plus we opened 6 Empire at War packs. Tragically I got 4 to start with, then someone who bought immediately after me opened the Ancient Lightsaber which sells for a ton of money. We didn't get any legends but did open Bossk which made me happy since my yellow cards aren't totally wasted and I wanted a yellow die. He's not a great combo with Kylo though, it seems.

Final result, maybe 10 new dice and 40 new cards got added to our starter sets. I played 3 games (all 3 losses against some pretty brutal decks, but one was close) and she played 2 games (1 win due to time, 1 loss). We're planning to continue going and try to ration our spending, though I definitely plan to get some Legacies cards. I wonder which store (Mini Market, CSI, Cardhaus, etc.) typically gets the booster boxes first.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Blizzard I'd definitely recommend a sealed if your shop winds up doing it when packs release, level playing fields are always fun. Also if you get clever with your deck you can make any combo work on a fun level, and even surprise and take out the more competitive decks if you figure out a good strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard I'd definitely recommend a sealed if your shop winds up doing it when packs release, level playing fields are always fun. Also if you get clever with your deck you can make any combo work on a fun level, and even surprise and take out the more competitive decks if you figure out a good strategy.
I can see that being possible to an extent. The first deck I played against was almost all blue cards, which meant Kylo's ability worked really well before he was promptly murdered. Another guy had a deck that was essentially all vehicles with the free vehicle lady. I'm not sure how to counter that, but I did include a couple of cards that hurt someone if I revealed a support (e.g. vehicle).

And yeah a sealed tournament would be fun. I'm excited about the draft one-time-purchase thing and hoping to do some sort of casual cube drafts to save money on buying packs every time.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Blizzard I did a semi-self milling EAurra/Boba deck where I was basically counting on rolling either the damage or resources on Aurra to either knock out generics, or get a playable Crime Lord on round 2. Took out an EPalp in a tourney with that sucker with Crime Lord, and it was awesome. I also designed a Grevious/Assaj(I can't remember who was elite, probably grevs), that was a mill deck disguised as an aggro deck(basically trick the other player into rerolling for damage to lose their hand with Assajj's ability), never got to play it though

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard I did a semi-self milling EAurra/Boba deck where I was basically counting on rolling either the damage or resources on Aurra to either knock out generics, or get a playable Crime Lord on round 2. Took out an EPalp in a tourney with that sucker with Crime Lord, and it was awesome. I also designed a Grevious/Assaj(I can't remember who was elite, probably grevs), that was a mill deck disguised as an aggro deck(basically trick the other player into rerolling for damage to lose their hand with Assajj's ability), never got to play it though
Speaking of countering, are there any mechanics to counter Ambush? One of the people I played was using two Force Speeds on two different characters, and also (possibly in the same game) using some fancy promo version of Rey with alien card text that gave him 2 free actions if he ever played an Ambush upgrade on her.

This all meant that I would basically get 1 action for every 2-4 actions he took.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Speaking of countering, are there any mechanics to counter Ambush? One of the people I played was using two Force Speeds on two different characters, and also (possibly in the same game) using some fancy promo version of Rey with alien card text that gave him 2 free actions if he ever played an Ambush upgrade on her.

This all meant that I would basically get 1 action for every 2-4 actions he took.
Not that I know of yet, but also, it's just the original starter Rey card with alt art. Actually, one thing I can think of is do a deck that can take advantage of the fact your opponent will like end round first and take a few hits.

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing the card spoilers, there actually aren't many cards I'm seriously dreading for how they will impact play. The only I really dislike is the red "take 3 free actions after playing this" card since I hate the action cheating mechanic. At last this is uncommon instead of the legendary force speed that I run into doubles of.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought some Awakenings booster packs out of impulse. I got One With The Force and Poe Dameron, Ace Pilot. My research shows that these cards hold a decent amount of value, but how is the singles market?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the market other than what CSI or Mini Market would offer. There's also the wild west of eBay if you can handle the fees.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone gone to any regional tournaments? I played an Obi-Wan / Maz variant at a casual store event today and went 3-0. Heading to a regional next weekend.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping as a new set Way of the Force is releasing in less than 2 weeks.

Great time to start playing as there will be FFG support for store tournaments.

Oct 25, 2017
I only have two stores that supposedly have tournaments and the local community is ultra dead, but maybe some will start again for a bit.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really died after the Store Championship season here in Buffalo. I have a Facebook group with 15 members so we're trying to organize a casual night. Maybe we can draft with the new set out.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty excited. I play this a bunch on TTS and started playing locally too. Drafting is fun though I won't be sad when the black set rotates out.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I recently started playing this. I got a 2 player starter set on clearance at gamestop for a whole 4 bucks. Then a guy sold me his whole collection for 60. So i have a ton of stuff to work with. I taught my gf to play as well. I really like the dice/card mechanic. At first glance it looked too random rolling die in a card game but its not like that at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started playing this. I got a 2 player starter set on clearance at gamestop for a whole 4 bucks. Then a guy sold me his whole collection for 60. So i have a ton of stuff to work with. I taught my gf to play as well. I really like the dice/card mechanic. At first glance it looked too random rolling die in a card game but its not like that at all.
I really like it but it's suuuuuuper dead locally. If I'm lucky there are 2-3 other players within like a 60-minute drive.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Posted in the Board Game thread but figured it was more useful in the OT. Amazon has a couple booster boxes 75% off. I don't play so I have no idea if they're recent or legal or whatever, but figured you might want to know.

Oct 25, 2017
Posted in the Board Game thread but figured it was more useful in the OT. Amazon has a couple booster boxes 75% off. I don't play so I have no idea if they're recent or legal or whatever, but figured you might want to know.
Legacies and Way of the Force are both $31 or under and should be legal in standard for at least another 8+ months, maybe 12. The other two are legal in infinite or for people who like to collect.