• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you believe The Leak or not

• It's true all of it.

Votes: 834 79.4%
  • Noooo! That's not true That's impossible!

Votes: 217 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Give me the name of machine gun guy or pilot guy or blind monk guy without googling.

But you all know Qui Gon Jinn and Jar Jar Binks

The only one I can remember is Cassian Andor because for some stupid reason HE is getting a show over Sabine, Ahsoka,Ezra or literally anyone else.

That said the space battle in the end is aces. It's so good!

But you're lying to yourself if you think the general audiences sees Rogue One as anything more than the Vader scenes.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After TROS all I want is a movie solely focused on Ben Solo, living a quiet, repentant life with a samurai-type order, maybe Chirrut's order from Rogue One, the Guardians of the Whills. And include the ghosts of dead Jedi like Anakin and Luke. The character arc would go from Ben thinking he deserves death to gaining a renewed purpose.

image.jpg

IMO, TROS shouldn't be the end. Star Wars needs to keep moving forward.

Definitely would have potential, but after how the new trilogy turned out it would kind of weight it down no matter what.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like how people's logic here is "well I couldn't remember their names so everyone else shouldn't be able to either."

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as Disney can keep making money out of it, Star Wars will keep going. Its called Star Wars, not Star Peace.

Its really curious about what they do know, tho. The popularity of the Maldorian has shown audiences dont need the same ol X-Wings and TIE Fighters, Jedi and the Dark Side, Lightsaber duels and the Force, everybody being related to Skywalker stuff. You can branch out, you can go to the furthest corners of the galaxy, you can do whatever.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
As long as Disney can keep making money out of it, Star Wars will keep going. Its called Star Wars, not Star Peace.

Its really curious about what they do know, tho. The popularity of the Maldorian has shown audiences dont need the same ol X-Wings and TIE Fighters, Jedi and the Dark Side, Lightsaber duels and the Force, everybody being related to Skywalker stuff. You can branch out, you can go to the furthest corners of the galaxy, you can do whatever.

For the main movies, I think it's still about that. Unless they go fight with an aliens species that try to dominate the galaxy.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give me the name of machine gun guy or pilot guy or blind monk guy without googling.

But you all know Qui Gon Jinn and Jar Jar Binks

The only one I can remember is Cassian Andor because for some stupid reason HE is getting a show over Sabine, Ahsoka,Ezra or literally anyone else.

That said the space battle in the end is aces. It's so good!

But you're lying to yourself if you think the general audiences sees Rogue One as anything more than the Vader scenes.

I think the Vader scenes are the one of the worse parts of Rogue One along with mixed signaling of Saw Gererra and whatever Forest was trying to show through that character, wasn't written well. Back to Vader, I thought all his scenes were lame because the guy in the suit was so unconvincing in how he moved and held himself. The end was slightly better because you could barely see anything and the hype of the escape but that was sold by the other actors, music, not Vader.

I like Rogue One because the moral grey lines, the scientist, family background, the war machine in the background, the rag tag group, yeah they didn't really have time to breath that lessoned the impact but didn't think it was awful. The middle if part is the worst with Saw kinda lost himself but not enough background or clarity into his beliefs and struggles along with the odd acting and lines. Rogue One is still the best so far.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Vader scenes are the one of the worse parts of Rogue One along with mixed signaling of Saw Gererra and whatever Forest was trying to show through that character, wasn't written well. Back to Vader, I thought all his scenes were lame because the guy in the suit was so unconvincing in how he moved and held himself. The end was slightly better because you could barely see anything and the hype of the escape but that was sold by the other actors, music, not Vader.

There's also something really off with the vocal effect they used on James Earl Jones. At times it almost sounds like there's no filter at all and it's just JEJ standing there reading dialogue ("AN IMPERIAL FACILITY OPENLY ATTACKED!!!!") Contrast it with Rebels, released at the same time, where he sounds a lot more like the movies.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I like Rogue One because the moral grey lines, the scientist, family background, the war machine in the background, the rag tag group, yeah they didn't really have time to breath that lessoned the impact but didn't think it was awful. The middle if part is the worst with Saw kinda lost himself but not enough background or clarity into his beliefs and struggles along with the odd acting and lines. Rogue One is still the best so far.

Vader's scenes were just fan service.

I don't even think Vader would've gotten his hands dirty with stuff like that. He would've just left it to the Stormtroopers.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's too late for anything like that but Rey should have been tormented by evil whispers and anger issues throughout her life to event hint his Palpatine shit.

It just comes out of ass.

Because nothing was planned out, and Ryan killed the final boss one movie too early. Kylo can't be the final boss, he's a little bitch that nobody takes seriously and Rey clowns on. Only one that's worthy is Palps, and so you have to pull his return out of ass with no build up, and then make the battle against him personal for Rey, so gotta pull that backstory out of ass. Ryan fundamentally misunderstood what the middle part of a trilogy is supposed to do, and instead of building up towards the climax of the series he decided his film was the climax.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because nothing was planned out, and Ryan killed the final boss one movie too early. Kylo can't be the final boss, he's a little bitch that nobody takes seriously and Rey clowns on. Only one that's worthy is Palps, and so you have to pull his return out of ass with no build up, and then make the battle against him personal for Rey, so gotta pull that backstory out of ass. Ryan fundamentally misunderstood what the middle part of a trilogy is supposed to do, and instead of building up towards the climax of the series he decided his film was the climax.
Why is it that everyone who can't spell Rian Johnson's name always have the worst possible takes on TLJ? lol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GRRM has no right to shit on Star Wars considering the state of his own magnum opus at the moment.

I'm not even sure I'd acknowledge the opinion of someone who doesn't understand what fantasy and escapism are and thinks entertainment is taking characters fans actually like and then murdering them in the most sadistic way possible. He'd probably only like Star Wars if Vader killed Luke, Han and Leia and the Rebellion was crushed by the Empire.

Plus, unlike Martin, Lucas actually finished his work in its entirety. We have the six Episodes and the story of Star Wars is complete. How long will it take for Martin to finish his own story, assuming he even can?

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I figured out why he is Rian Johnson not Ryan Johnson. Even his name has to subvert expectations.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Plus, unlike Martin, Lucas actually finished his work in its entirety.

Erm...

George Lucas said:
"[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there's this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force… If I'd held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told."

George Lucas - Circa 1980 said:
So, I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. ... Then, I had the other two films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films... It's a nine-part saga that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It progresses over a period of about fifty or sixty years with about twenty years between trilogies, each trilogy taking about six or seven years.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
LiquidSourDore-size_restricted.gif

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rian also fundamentally misunderstood what Star Wars in general is.
This whole sequel trilogy has been Lucasfilm discovering nobody knows what Star Wars is. If you can go back and watch Star Wars, free from decades of hype and expansions, it's not THAT far from the New Hollywood 70s auteur films of that era. It was something deeply personal and idiosyncratic, pulled from George Lucas interests in Kurosawa, Flash Gordon, Dune, John Ford, David Lean. Nobody had no idea what Star Wars is, so they were free to create from whole cloth. I think that applies to Empire as well, in that now they had the confidence to expand what a Star Wars movie could be, and even include a Kurosawa style puppet mentor who taught us what The Force was.

But that time is over. Star Wars isn't personal anymore; it's product. " market-researched, audience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they're ready for consumption." As Scorsese so aptly described our current blockbuster cinema age. When it came time to make the Sequel trilogy, it wasn't because there was some big story coming from a personal place to make it. THAT much is clear just watching the movies. They said we needed new Star Wars movies to back up this financial investment, and so they simply made them. All the old signifiers came back: rebels vs Empire, x wings and tie fighters, hot shot pilots and cute droids, the force and lightsaber duels. The things the fans want. Star Wars got popular because it introduced us to things we never seen before. Now it exists to serve us things we already know.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This whole sequel trilogy has been Lucasfilm discovering nobody knows what Star Wars is. If you can go back and watch Star Wars, free from decades of hype and expansions, it's not THAT far from the New Hollywood 70s auteur films of that era. It was something deeply personal and idiosyncratic, pulled from George Lucas interests in Kurosawa, Flash Gordon, Dune, John Ford, David Lean. Nobody had no idea what Star Wars is, so they were free to create from whole cloth. I think that applies to Empire as well, in that now they had the confidence to expand what a Star Wars movie could be, and even include a Kurosawa style puppet mentor who taught us what The Force was.

But that time is over. Star Wars isn't personal anymore; it's product. " market-researched, audience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they're ready for consumption." As Scorsese so aptly described our current blockbuster cinema age. When it came time to make the Sequel trilogy, it wasn't because there was some big story coming from a personal place to make it. THAT much is clear just watching the movies. They said we needed new Star Wars movies to back up this financial investment, and so they simply made them. All the old signifiers came back: rebels vs Empire, x wings and tie fighters, hot shot pilots and cute droids, the force and lightsaber duels. The things the fans want. Star Wars got popular because it introduced us to things we never seen before. Now it exists to serve us things we already know.

Star Wars was basically what's old is new again.

Lucas went back and forth on whether or not the story was finished. I think after Episode III, he said that the story was finished and there would be no further movies.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Lucas went back and forth on whether or not the story was finished. I think after Episode III, he said that the story was finished and there would be no further movies.

He did say that at the time, but I don't know why anyone would believe him saying it was the end of the saga in 2005 when he had two TV shows in active pre-production at the time (The failed live action project and The Clone Wars) and had before that consistently said it was a 9-part saga.

It's almost like Lucas was doing then what Disney are doing now with the "End of the Saga" shtick.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He did say that at the time, but I don't know why anyone would believe him saying it was the end of the saga in 2005 when he had two TV shows in active pre-production at the time (The failed live action project and The Clone Wars) and had before that consistently said it was a 9-part saga.

It's almost like Lucas was doing then what Disney are doing now with the "End of the Saga" shtick.

With how Disney's done the sequel trilogy.... part of me wonders how things would've been if Lucas had made them instead.

Lucas needs the right people around him to execute his ideas.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

Of all the issues I have with TFA, the biggest is that, unlike the Lucas films, which draw from his well of personal interests, it draws all its inspiration from...Star Wars.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017

Killing of the "main" villain at the midway point is fine if you have someone to replace him or if the plot can move on without a big bad antagonist. The only remaining big villains left after TLJ are Kylo Ren and Hux and they have been built up as incompetent losers. They are nothing like Kefka at all.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the issues I have with TFA, the biggest is that, unlike the Lucas films, which draw from his well of personal interests, it draws all its inspiration from...Star Wars.
It's not hard to draw a line from the original Star Wars to a protest of the Vietnam war that was on the mind of every American in the 70s.

does JJ abrams have any kind of voice or pet themes or anything to say? He seems to be the one pop filmmaker who specializes in mimicry. You'll get Polished competence and not an ounce more.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard to draw a line from the original Star Wars to a protest of the Vietnam war that was on the mind of every American in the 70s.

does JJ abrams have any kind of voice or pet themes or anything to say? He seems to be the one pop filmmaker who specializes in mimicry. You'll get Polished competence and not an ounce more.
Timing was definitely key on why Star Wars was such a hit.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not even sure I'd acknowledge the opinion of someone who doesn't understand what fantasy and escapism are and thinks entertainment is taking characters fans actually like and then murdering them in the most sadistic way possible. He'd probably only like Star Wars if Vader killed Luke, Han and Leia and the Rebellion was crushed by the Empire.

Plus, unlike Martin, Lucas actually finished his work in its entirety. We have the six Episodes and the story of Star Wars is complete. How long will it take for Martin to finish his own story, assuming he even can?

I mean Martin has gone on record saying that ASOIAF is not an escapist work and he has written ones that are closer to that.

And let's be honest, in terms of writing, there is no aspect of SW that comes close to ASOIAF since SW is a really simple take of good and evil.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Martin has gone on record saying that ASOIAF is not an escapist work and he has written ones that are closer to that.

And let's be honest, in terms of writing, there is no aspect of SW that comes close to ASOIAF since SW is a really simple take of good and evil.
Hasn't he gone on record that he hates fan fiction?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Filoni is my new hope tbh. Hope he gets bigger and bigger until he gets his own trilogy.

Space whales, force holy trinity, helicopter sabers, magic, witches...Go nuts with your stuff Dave, at the very least its something new

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Filoni is my new hope tbh. Hope he gets bigger and bigger until he gets his own trilogy.

Space whales, force holy trinity, helicopter sabers, magic, witches...Go nuts with your stuff Dave, at the very least its something new
yep people whine but atleast it's not just x wings and tie fighters over and over until the heat death of the universe.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Who is Snoke cloned after, place your bets.

1. Darth Plagueis the Wise: one last cruel joke of irony, the man who almost mastered immortality has now achieved it in a way, but as a clone puppet slave of Sheev. His looks are easily explained if its Plagueis since we never saw him before.

2. Anakin Skywalker: a misshapen clone of Anakin in an attempt to harness the power of the chosen one.(only the Kaminos have mastered cloning and trying to make one as strong as Anakin in the force results in even greater complications, resulting in Snoke's deformities and height)

3.Sheev himself: No one can do a job better than yourself. Same cloning complications as Ani. "I Am The Snoke."

4.Luke Skywalker: Shit I cant explain this. Sheev wants the power of the man who "beat" him and turned Vader, there don't ask anymore questions.

5. Someone new: Yeah I mean, it's probably this.

Place your bets before it's revealed in some comic cause you know the movie is going to brush it off like the story of how Maz got the lightsaber.

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018

There's a part of me that wants to call this a cold take but there's no better way to say it. If every Star Wars film from now on is going to continue to be more focused with "feeling like Star Wars" than keeping the same inventive creative energy that made the series great in the first place, then it's going to be dogged by problems and dragged out for box office dollars until the distant day it stops making money. That's just... the way these things work, and the sooner we all kinda come to terms with this to one extent or another the better off people will be.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Is the Mandalorian really branching out that much though? It isn't the main conflict of the saga movies, but it's not much riskier than TFA in what it's showing the audience. It has stormtroopers, AT-STs, the trailer has Tie Fighters too. The main character is, lets face it, a recoloured Boba Fett, the second episode had Jawas and a sandcrawler, and its just gone back to Tatooine to give us a strong dose of OT fan service too. Its biggest contribution to Star Wars is Baby Yoda, giving us the revelation that:
1) Yoda's species have babies.
and
2) They're adorable and can sell a lot of merch.

The Mandalorian is proving to me that we're still stuck safely mining the nostalgia of the OT, with very little pushing the boat out. What I want to see is the next set of movies take a massive risk, in that it uses practically nothing from the established saga. Throw in a lightsaber and the blasters to ground it in the same universe, but really resist using designs from or references to what's already been done.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Who is Snoke cloned after, place your bets.

1. Darth Plagueis the Wise: one last cruel joke of irony, the man who almost mastered immortality has now achieved it in a way, but as a clone puppet slave of Sheev. His looks are easily explained if its Plagueis since we never saw him before.

2. Anakin Skywalker: a misshapen clone of Anakin in an attempt to harness the power of the chosen one.(only the Kaminos have mastered cloning and trying to make one as strong as Anakin in the force results in even greater complications, resulting in Snoke's deformities and height)

3.Sheev himself: No one can do a job better than yourself. Same cloning complications as Ani. "I Am The Snoke."

4.Luke Skywalker: Shit I cant explain this. Sheev wants the power of the man who "beat" him and turned Vader, there don't ask anymore questions.

5. Someone new: Yeah I mean, it's probably this.

Place your bets before it's revealed in some comic cause you know the movie is going to brush it off like the story of how Maz got the lightsaber.

He an alien.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I also like Jyn more than Rey, if I'm honest. She was more... believable. She grew up in a pretty shitty world and she acts like someone that did. She was a loner that did whatever was necessary to survive until she found a cause worth fighting for, worth dying for.

The film couldn't even commit to what kind of character Jyn was supposed to be. She was completely overhauled in Tony Gilroy's reshoots because Disney was worried she wasn't "heroic" enough. Which is why we got such amazing lines as "rebellions are built on hope!" The film more or less flips a switch in the final act and turns Jyn into an entirely different person to be more likable and Felicity Jones (who is a very talented actress) just couldn't sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.