• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you believe The Leak or not

• It's true all of it.

Votes: 834 79.4%
  • Noooo! That's not true That's impossible!

Votes: 217 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks that the moniker Skywalker is going to replace Jedis as those who train in the force?

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
What's even the significance of Rey taking on the Skywalker name if this is the last we're ever gonna see the character anyway?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
What's even the significance of Rey taking on the Skywalker name if this is the last we're ever gonna see the character anyway?

I guess to make it seem like the Skywalker family gets to continue and in case they want to continue the story but letting them kill off Ben Solo.

They should've just had Rey raised by Luke since she was a girl if that's what they wanted to do but preserve Rey Nobody.

It's just so cynical at this point since they just want to keep the brand surname alive.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you think Rogue One's characters are more 2D than the prequels', I don't think I put much stock in your opinion.

I don't love Solo but it didn't bomb critically. Also - financially? Who gives a shit? If you think a film's box office takings have any bearing on its quality, you're a sucker. Blade Runner 2049 made $130 million less than Solo and is an all time genre classic.
Rogue One had characters? I thought they were paper mache figurines.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to draw a line from the original Star Wars to a protest of the Vietnam war that was on the mind of every American in the 70s.

does JJ abrams have any kind of voice or pet themes or anything to say? He seems to be the one pop filmmaker who specializes in mimicry. You'll get Polished competence and not an ounce more.

JJ is definitely one of the most superficial directors working around.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Trevorrow's Episode IX sounds hilarious. Rey and Ben grow up together and then completely forget each other for some reason. Isn't that a twist from Final Fantasy VIII? lol

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rey feeling that she has a family attachment to the Skywalkers makes sense. I think the story could have been great; an orphan kid grows up on their own, become force-sensitive, and seeks out the legendary last jedi Luke Skywalker in the hope of better understanding themselves and looking for a place to belong to, a sense of attachment. In the process gets entangled in the Skywalkers' family drama, eventually essentially becoming part of the family. The last Skywalker (Ben) dies, but Rey lives on as a figurative heir.

But it has been so poorly handled.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All those people going "i'm glad the old EU is gone it was all hot trash"

You all wish Luuke would show up now don't you ;)

It was in another thread but I think I was bang on when I said that the New Cannon/EU situation is basically the Ultimate/616 redux and none of the Era megafans have realized it yet XD

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Lucas: "Clones are cliché, so in Star Wars they're basically cheap labor or soldiers, not a lazy way to replace characters for free, to make sure of that I'll even make a show that has clones having vastly different personalities than their original"

EU: "What if the Emperor just came back as a clone over and over?"

JJ: "I'll take option number 2"

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I'd... need the full context. I think that's a very nuanced and delicate issue.

I ask if she thinks it has been easier to be confident and navigate her celebrity because of the privilege in her life – of boarding school, her upbringing and so on? Ridley is suddenly incredulous.

"The privilege I have – how? No, genuinely, how?"

Well, I say, in terms of wealth, class, education – that kind of privilege, in knowing how to decode the rules in certain spaces. As a caveat, I add that both of us have privilege, and it's not a criticism; I was simply curious to know what she thought. Things take an awkward turn.

"Well no, because, no… " There is a very long and tense pause, before she insists that, actually, there is little difference between her experience and that of her co-star John Boyega, who grew up in south London to British Nigerian immigrant parents. "John grew up on a council estate in Peckham and I think me and him are similar enough that… no." I don't point out that members of Ridley's family were establishment figures (her grandfather, John Ridley OBE, was head of engineering at the BBC from 1950 to 1965; his brother was the Dad's Army actor and playwright Arthur Ridley), while Boyega had to apply for a hardship fund to join Theatre Peckham.

"Also," she adds, "I went to a boarding school for performing arts, which was different." (Her publicist later calls to clarify that Ridley won a scholarship.)

But surely nine years of private education gave her some additional confidence?

"No." Ridley leans on her elbow while twirling a small knot in her hair. "No. I think, also, it has taken me a little while to be OK with it. I was always fairly confident, and I think that comes from being part of a big family who are all quite chatty."

It's an unexpectedly defensive detour, as if the mere mention of privilege is an attempt to diminish Ridley's hard work or talent. I try to change the subject but get the distinct feeling that her publicist, sitting behind me in Ridley's eyeline, has made some sort of silent intervention. "I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong," Ridley adds. "I've just never been asked that before, so I'm like, oh. I don't think so." We move on.

You can read the article here.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Lucas: "Clones are cliché, so in Star Wars they're basically cheap labor or soldiers, not a lazy way to replace characters for free, to make sure of that I'll even make a show that has clones having vastly different personalities than their original"

EU: "What if the Emperor just came back as a clone over and over?"

JJ: "I'll take option number 2"
TBF, the old EU clones were different characters too - the Emperor was the exception because it was his spirit possessing clones (and the drive behind the story was that he couldn't keep doing it forever, as each clone degraded faster than the last).

Abrams, well...
JJ is definitely one of the most superficial directors working around.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch them bring back Sheev for Episode XII.

Honestly this trilogy has been such a waste of Sheeve. It's basically the only route they could have taken for a mass market property after TLJ left them with deliberately forced resolutions that flattened the current dialectic context beyond use, but... damn.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Honestly this trilogy has been such a waste of Sheeve. It's basically the only route they could have taken for a mass market property after TLJ left them with deliberately forced resolutions that flattened the current dialectic context beyond use, but... damn.

The Knights of Ren were RIGHT THERE

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Knights of Ren were RIGHT THERE

I'm still not sure why RJ outright cast them aside. It really seems like his primary interest was only Rey/Kylo/Luke and he invented a bunch of busy work (relying on some very straightforward Dramatica software stuff) for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.