• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you believe The Leak or not

• It's true all of it.

Votes: 834 79.4%
  • Noooo! That's not true That's impossible!

Votes: 217 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Rian and JJ had multiple occasions to course correct. They decided to not do so.

But fair enough it could be mandated by LF.

Pretty much has to be honestly. In fact the original draft of IX was better than whatever is left of it.

How would you feel if Ben doesn't die(MSW says that Ben's fate is actually uncertain even if he does fall in a pit) and Reylo happens? Palpatine's granddaughter and Anakin's grandson.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe she is a clone of Luke.
anakin was a clone.
In both movies Kyle states he knows her family. I think he knows and doesn't want to say it to her unless he knows he can manipulate her (at this point)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How would you feel if Ben doesn't die(MSW says that Ben's fate is actually uncertain even if he does fall in a pit) and Reylo happens? Palpatine's granddaughter and Anakin's grandson.

I mean I'm grasping at straws at this point and that's a straw alright.

I believe it was said somewhere (when the pictures leaked) the ending is testing badly and all they shot is Kylo dying.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Only thing odd with the leaks is how many scenes they would of needed for Leia already pre shot to make it work. Which means JJ didn't make like...half of this movie

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
wait Rey is the grand daughter of Palp?
welp, that saves me a ticket.
LmPSYLytzTdx.jpg

Is there a way to execute this well?

Apr 19, 2018
Given how pared back Leia's scenes are now (such as the beginning training sequence between young Luke and herself, and not appearing as a Force Ghost during the final fight with Palps), how much weight is it there they're still using CG facial tech with Billie Lourd as stand-in?

By my reckoning, there seems to be at least three big scenes that will prominently feature Leia: the training scene with her and Rey in the jungle, the scene when she dispatches the heroes to Passana, and when she passes. The first two they may be able to work around with the supposed pre-existing footage, but that last one sounds like it'll be far more involving.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, what's the big deal about Rey being a Palpatine.

I think it's cool and it sets up a good dilemma for Rey. I don't understand how anyone could watch TFA and not think Rey was meant to be related to someone important.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the throne room you ain't shit scene in ep 8 was the best SW scene ever. i knew jj would undermine it immediately but i'm still disappointed. will pass on the movie just like i never saw ep3.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your parents are nobodies. From my point of view. But from another point of view, one of them is actually the offspring of goddamn Emperor Palpatine. Was that important? I doubt it.
-Ben sOlo

Like in ANH... Vader was never meant to be Luke's father at the time, hence Obi-Wan telling him Vader killed his father. Then in ROTJ we get the infamous "so what I told you is true... from a certain point of view."

Same shit here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that I almost hope Rey had just been revealed to be a Palpatine in TLJ just because it wouldn't have leaked out.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Like in ANH... Vader was never meant to be Luke's father at the time, hence Obi-Wan telling him Vader killed his father. Then in ROTJ we get the infamous "so what I told you is true... from a certain point of view."

Same shit here.

Absolutely not.

Obi Wan didn't want to conflict Luke and he knew Vader didn't know about his existence.

You can rationalize his lie.

Kylo is trying to be honest with Rey and somehow he fucked missed out being connected to the biggest sith lord of all time ?

How fucking incompetent is he ?

Never mind he is pathetic and has failed everything he has attempted besides killing Snoke, another worthless character, and is about to lose 4 times in a row in ROTS.

So it checks out !

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I think it's cool and it sets up a good dilemma for Rey. I don't understand how anyone could watch TFA and not think Rey was meant to be related to someone important.

People have been writing essays for years about how rey being a nobody was the greatest idea ever.

(but you're not wrong, tfa obviously sets up rey being somebody)

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how pared back Leia's scenes are now (such as the beginning training sequence between young Luke and herself, and not appearing as a Force Ghost during the final fight with Palps), how much weight is it there they're still using CG facial tech with Billie Lourd as stand-in?

By my reckoning, there seems to be at least three big scenes that will prominently feature Leia: the training scene with her and Rey in the jungle, the scene when she dispatches the heroes to Passana, and when she passes. The first two they may be able to work around with the supposed pre-existing footage, but that last one sounds like it'll be far more involving.

The death scene will probably just use retooled footage from her coma in TLJ.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All this trilogy had to be if they sort of wanted to go in this direction was:

Han and Leia have two kids, the eldest one being very force sensitive, so Luke trains him but reluctantly because he fears what his father and to some extent what he went through. He's not too keen on the whole force thing anymore, wanted to leave it behind but agreed to avoid letting the kid go on the wrong path.

Ben is falling to the dark side, which pushes Luke to believe he should have really dropped the force stuff, and out of his own fear he ends up losing Ben outright.

Luke goes into seclusion, but as the younger child grows up she begins to show the same sensitivity to the force, even if delayed, and is pulled by her brother and her desire to find him. Her journey begins as she looks for answers and her brother who had disappeared after Luke failed him, with no one to guide her regarding the force.

Ultimately she has to seek Luke and convince him to train her (making Luke realize he cannot run away and owes her what Obi/Yoda did for him), so she can save her brother and she will succeed where Luke didn't: she ends up creating some place to help other force-sensitive folks with her saved brother at the end of the story.

Sometimes, simpler is better.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I figured she was in TFA, something had to explain her powers and JJ left enough mystery bullshit to hint at some kind of secret past or lineage.

It's just very amusing that she turned out to be this after all the hand-wringing from some people insisting she was a nobody (and TLJ seemingly stressing that). In the end this trilogy is just a mess, and I don't think the "The OT also made shit up as it went along!" stuff really flies. Things shouldn't have been done this way again. That it worked out for the OT is frankly incredibly lucky.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

I think the issue is that TLJ set up Rey to not be related to anybody important and that's okay because the Force doesn't belong to a special lineage. That's what a lot of people who loved TLJ came out of it thinking. This undermines that Rey is a nobody. Instead, she is actual royalty.

My issue with it though is that it recontextualizes the Skywalker Saga into the Palpatine Saga. If the leaks are true, all the Skywalkers are dead and Rey takes the Skywalker name. The real hero and the real villain of the story are both Palpatines.

Anakin, Luke, Leia, Han and Ben were complete losers.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I think the issue is that TLJ set up Rey to not be related to anybody important and that's okay because the Force doesn't belong to a special lineage. That's what a lot of people who loved TLJ came out of it thinking. This undermines that Rey is a nobody. Instead, she is actual royalty.

My issue with it though is that it recontextualizes the Skywalker Saga into the Palpatine Saga. If the leaks are true, all the Skywalkers are dead and Rey takes the Skywalker name. The real hero and the real villain of the story are both Palpatines.

Not really. She's still a Skywalker. Anakin was a creation of Palpatine and so is she.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Not really. She's still a Skywalker. Anakin was a creation of Palpatine and so is she.

She's a creation of Palpatine's kid not Palpatine.

Anyways, Rey is biologically related to Palpatine not Anakin.

Anakin was "debatably" created by Palpatine but they share no blood.

It'd be more accurate to say Anakin is a Palpatine in spirit than to say Rey is a Skywalker.

Rey isn't related to the original Skywalker "Shmi" after all.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I figured she was in TFA, something had to explain her powers and JJ left enough mystery bullshit to hint at some kind of secret past or lineage.

It's just very amusing that she turned out to be this after all the hand-wringing from some people insisting she was a nobody (and TLJ seemingly stressing that). In the end this trilogy is just a mess, and I don't think the "The OT also made shit up as it went along!" is a good excuse. Things shouldn't have been done this way again.

This I can agree with, I don't think Rian wanted Rey to be related to someone important whereas JJ did. But retcons are a big part of the SW films for better or worse, so as long they retroactively make it work I don't see what the issue is.

To me it's clear TFA was setting up Rey to be related to someone important, and the "you come from nothing" conversation between Kylo/Rey in TLJ can easily be retroactively refitted to what JJ has planned.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

11031.jpg

Why do you think I made this thread?

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
We wouldn't have to be tied down with this stupid lineage stuff if Finn was the Jedi in 7 instead and Rey was there sidekick. A stormtrooper turned Jedi. Wouldn't that have been fun :(

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
You really think they wouldn't have just had Palpatine create Finn?

I feel like that probably wouldn't be the first go to tbh. I guess I just find this family drama with Rey to be boring as hell. I liked Rey random cause I was like thank goodness we can move on from this boring plot point. But noooope.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There's nothing "wrong" about it really, in fact if she has to be somebody it's probably the one I like the most.

I had no ultimate qualms with her being a "nobody" either, just that TFA blatantly set up the lame importance on her lineage to being notable. So retroactively that makes TFA a better film but further distances TLJ as being relevant in my mind. TLJ already wasn't doing the saga any favors as a less interesting retread of ESB that wanted to be contrarian on certain plot points just because.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is great to be honest. The memes coming out of TROS might rival ROTS. I guess it's no coincidence they share the same letters in their acronyms.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
We wouldn't have to be tied down with this stupid lineage stuff if Finn was the Jedi in 7 instead and Rey was there sidekick. A stormtrooper turned Jedi. Wouldn't that have been fun :(

If Finn was the protagonist of the last trilogy ending the Skywalker Saga, they'd have tied it in somehow to the family.

The main family of Star Wars

LmPSYLytzTdx.jpg

And the three dumbasses that thought this story was about their family

star-wars-luke-skywalker-anakin-ben-solo-kylo-ren.jpg

I feel like that probably wouldn't be the first go to tbh. I guess I just find this family drama with Rey to be boring as hell. I liked Rey random cause I was like thank goodness we can move on from this boring plot point. But noooope.

The Episode titles are about the Space Wizard family. If they wanted to move on from it then there wouldn't be a Sequel Trilogy.

Also Finn would've been like Luke's kidnapped bastard son or something if he were the protagonist of the ST.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing "wrong" about it really, in fact if she has to be somebody it's probably the one I like the most.

I had no ultimate qualms with her being a "nobody" either, just that TFA blatantly set up the lame importance on her lineage to being notable. So retroactively that makes TFA a better film but further distances TLJ as being relevant in my mind
. TLJ already wasn't doing the saga any favors as a less interesting retread of ESB that wanted to be contrarian on certain plot points just because.

I agree. I think ultimately TLJ will be the "filler" film in this trilogy, because TFA and TROS are JJ films, and TROS seems to be a direct follow up to what JJ had set up.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

This is one of my main issues as well. Suddenly all of this becomes about Palpatine, his rise, fall, rebirth, and his legacy.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
If the big climax of Empire had Vader saying Obi Wan was right and he did kill Anakin and then they immediately went back on it in ROTJ it would've been some bullshit there too.

Luckily they didn't do that cause they didn't have different idea guys with very opposing views of where the story should go. It was Lucas winging it but it was still going to have some cohesion compared to Rian vs JJ.

Rian had one of the climaxes of the 2nd movie revolve around answering the question of Rey's parentage. For Rian the hardest thing for Rey to hear is that her parents were nobodies who didn't care about her and she has to make her own way knowing she's not connected to any special people. That's great, we got it, case closed.

JJ goes the opposite direction with Rey's parents actually loving her and the real hardest thing she has to hear is that she is actually connected to all the special people but her grand pappy is evil ol Sheev.

They needed to pick one of them and stick to it. I don't care that she's a Palpatine, I wish they didn't waste a whole movie establishing an equally compelling dilemma for Rey(she's nobody) just to go back on it. Literally bringing back Sheev is a whole nother issue.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This is great to be honest. The memes coming out of TROS might rival ROTS. I guess it's no coincidence they share the same letters in their acronyms.

Oh, the memes are going to be great. I agree.

I won't accept her as a Skywalker though but Rey Palpatine is growing on me a little but not because I think it's a great plot point. It's going to be great ammo for me to mock Star Wars' story. So it's a hate and love thing right now for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.