• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking loved this game as a kid. I remember I bought it used at a flea market lol.

"It's working. It's workiiiing!"

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm glad there's still interest in this game! I was scared that it would get lost in the other announcements cause this was amazing for me.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this game on the N64 and have gone back to it a few times over the years. I will probably end up getting this on ps4 at some point.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
This announcement is everything to me right now. I grew up with the original PC version, I so hope we get this update for PC. Right now all we can do is mod this stuff in.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
The sounds from this game are burned into my brain. Fun times playing this and that awful Phantom Menace game on PC

Nov 1, 2017
The original game was incredible. I wonder if they're porting the N64, Dreamcast, or PC version. There are minor differences between them. I also have a few minor questions:

- In the original game, you could unlock two secret characters by entering a code at the "name select" screen (or holding specific buttons/key combination, depending on the version). However, by entering this code, these characters would also replace two of the characters. Will they now have their own designated spot? Or they might be removed entirely...
- The Nintendo 64 port had another "cheat" that would allow you to use two Nintendo 64 controllers in tandem: The sticks would replicate the behaviour found in the arcade port of the game (e.g. if you held up on the stick for P2 and down on the stick for P1, your craft would beer left). Will this option be here?
- The N64 version wouldn't play music until the final lap, while the Dreamcast/PC version continuously played music throughout the entire race. You would think the latter would be ideal right? Problem is, it takes minutes to complete a single lap and the music gets repetitive. My question is, I wonder which approach they will take? (I suppose it depends on which version they decide to port)
- The N64 version used brief in-gameplay "overviews" at the beginning of a race. The Dreamcast/PC version use actual cutscenes. Again, I wonder which version they will use.
- The audio quality is improved in the Dreamcast/PC version. However, the music used loops rather quickly (in all versions?). Will they use the full versions of these iconic themes or the same truncated version? (I'm guessing the latter...)
- Will there be online multiplayer?
- For the multiplayer portion in the original game, P1 would end up with a significant advantage (unless P2 also had a save profile), as they'd have far more vehicles unlocked. The ship upgrades also only applied to P1. Will this be fixed in this version?

Going off the screenshots provided, I have a feeling this might be a rather simple port of the game. It's a fantastic single player experience. The multiplayer has a lot of potential, but it is marred by the issues I mentioned. I'm cautiously optimistic, depending on which version they port and how it's ported.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Honestly I just want the Rogue Squadron Trilogy on consoles as well as KOTOR 2 with the Restoration Mod included for consoles as well.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I think I only played the demo extensively on PC. I remember they really nailed the speed down really well for the time. I can't even recall if the game was graphically accelerated?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
The original game was incredible. I wonder if they're porting the N64, Dreamcast, or PC version. There are minor differences between them. I also have a few minor questions:

- In the original game, you could unlock two secret characters by entering a code at the "name select" screen (or holding specific buttons/key combination, depending on the version). However, by entering this code, these characters would also replace two of the characters. Will they now have their own designated spot? Or they might be removed entirely...
- The Nintendo 64 port had another "cheat" that would allow you to use two Nintendo 64 controllers in tandem: The sticks would replicate the behaviour found in the arcade port of the game (e.g. if you held up on the stick for P2 and down on the stick for P1, your craft would beer left). Will this option be here?
- The N64 version wouldn't play music until the final lap, while the Dreamcast/PC version continuously played music throughout the entire race. You would think the latter would be ideal right? Problem is, it takes minutes to complete a single lap and the music gets repetitive. My question is, I wonder which approach they will take? (I suppose it depends on which version they decide to port)
- The N64 version used brief in-gameplay "overviews" at the beginning of a race. The Dreamcast/PC version use actual cutscenes. Again, I wonder which version they will use.
- The audio quality is improved in the Dreamcast/PC version. However, the music used loops rather quickly (in all versions?). Will they use the full versions of these iconic themes or the same truncated version? (I'm guessing the latter...)
- Will there be online multiplayer?
- For the multiplayer portion in the original game, P1 would end up with a significant advantage (unless P2 also had a save profile), as they'd have far more vehicles unlocked. The ship upgrades also only applied to P1. Will this be fixed in this version?

Going off the screenshots provided, I have a feeling this might be a rather simple port of the game. It's a fantastic single player experience. The multiplayer has a lot of potential, but it is marred by the issues I mentioned. I'm cautiously optimistic, depending on which version they port and how it's ported.
Judging by how the Jedi Knight 2 port is based on the PC version instead of the Xbox version, this will most likely be be a pretty straight port from the PC version aswell.

Nov 1, 2017
Judging by how the Jedi Knight 2 port is based on the PC version instead of the Xbox version, this will most likely be be a pretty straight port from the PC version aswell.
Where this gets murky though is that the PC version of Episode I Racer didn't have split screen multiplayer (to my knowledge), yet this feature is mentioned in the OP.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait! Hope it supports dual analog stick controls like the N64 could do with 2 controllers.

I also hope it has texture filtering. It's weird seeing it without it. In my opinion N64 textures aren't really high res enough to get away with no filtering. I mean, the system was built for it.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
That's pretty good news...dunno about the screenshots though.

Can't they do a remake? Might be fun to play with a low poly count though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see it confirmed for PS4. Will definitely pick it up at half price, I love a lot of the late 90s and early 2000s era SW games

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Also hoping they patch the PC version, the version they released has a bunch of problems trying to run and get controllers working.

Shame about no online either but damn this is good news I love this game.

Add online multiplayer pls
That reminds me Turok 2 still doesn't have online multiplayer on Switch right? Not sure what the progress is on that.

Apr 21, 2018
Some thoughts:
1. Awesome. Day 1.
2. I kind of wish they did a little more the graphics. Just a little more.
3. God, fix that UI/HUD. If they don't, eek!
4. I'm not port begging because I don't own an Xbox, but I really don't understand why Xbox is left out here.