• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I won't lie... I was REALLY excited to hear this announcement. My best friend in high school and I played this all the time.

But then I saw those screen shots and... Uh.... Where's the texture filtering? Why the stretched UI? I don't mind a bare-bones release, but c'mon.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Dreamcast game is the same AFAIK. Just with better resolution and framerate
Yeah I don't remember the Dreamcast getting the arcade version. I really liked the Arcade version at the time. The graphics, sense of speed and the huge controllers were great. Obviously it didn't have the depth of the N64 campaign but I wouldn't mind a release of the arcade version on modern consoles.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I won't lie... I was REALLY excited to hear this announcement. My best friend in high school and I played this all the time.

But then I saw those screen shots and... Uh.... Where's the texture filtering? Why the stretched UI? I don't mind a bare-bones release, but c'mon.
I enjoy unfiltered textures but a toogle would be nice.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This announcement was a real surprise to me! But leaving out the Xbox ecosystem which has such strong traditional ties to Star Wars games makes no sense. This is the second time it has happened after Jedi Outcast though the latter game could become backwards compatible when the program finally resumes.

Last edited:

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
So many fond memories of this game, this game truly gives that sense of speed, and the tracks are pretty cool(Except for Abyss...)

The taunts were great, awesome V.A. Mars Guo was the best.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
This announcement was a real surprise to me! But leaving out the Xbox ecosystem which has such strong traditional ties to Star Wars games makes no sense. This is the second time it has happened after Jedi Academy II though the latter game could become backwards compatible when the program finally resumes.
Jedi Academy is backwards compatible on Xbox. It's Jedi Outcast that isn't.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Wait, It's just called Racer? And not Podracer like I thought it was called for 10 years?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Oh my god my childhood! It has online? OH MY GOD DAY 1 holy shite this is exciting. I still remember when I was a kid trying to unlock Sebulba because he had the fire mechanic to burn other racers. It was hard but eventually I did it. I remember this being so fun oh my god.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You should have told me that 10 years ago. I always called it Star Wars Podracer haha.

Still weird that they just called it Racer though, why not call it what it is and give the title some star wars flavor to it.

It originally had the Episode 1 branding, but they removed with the sequel and modern rerelease. As to the Racer name, I figured it was because it was better for marketing. You knew exactly what it was.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So is it still two player? that's a shame. Four player + online would have made this way more interesting.

Still, might pick it up if it's cheap. Me and my boy Bullseye Navior are ready to wreck shit up.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very disappointed their port of Jedi Academy on Switch has no options at all to play online or whatever with friends. Nothing.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm very disappointed their port of Jedi Academy on Switch has no options at all to play online or whatever with friends. Nothing.

I was gonna say "Nintendo" but if it's the same on PS4 that is really atrocious.

Then again, I have heard from people this game has terrible online unless you get a PC patch anyway so if you are looking to play this online you're better off getting the PC version with the patch.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I wish release dates had been given for this and Burnout Paradise.

I'm dying for good racing games on Switch and it sucks that these are just "sometime in 2020".

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The action-adventure game with the kinda top-down camera? I fucking loved that game.

Yeah man, with the lite-RPG elements. Chucking around thermal detonators was great fun!

920x920.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really? The changed the way the music kicked in on the PC version? Why would they do that?

Because on the N64, the music was done with MIDI. However, when porting to other systems with disc drives, they decided to use the orchestra music straight from the movie soundtrack. I guess in the conversion, they forgot that one part of how the music worked.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
The fact that there isn't a modern podracing game is infuriating. I welcome this game with open arms!

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Excuse the dumb question. Isn't Racers Revenge or whatever which is out on PS4 atm essentially the same thing? Or was that a sequel to this game that is coming later this year?

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Because on the N64, the music was done with MIDI. However, when porting to other systems with disc drives, they decided to use the orchestra music straight from the movie soundtrack. I guess in the conversion, they forgot that one part of how the music worked.

is that right? I could have sworn i remember the n64 version's soundtrack used extremely compressed short clips from the film score strung together. that's what it sounds like in this video anyway

Nov 1, 2017
The soundtrack used (compressed) audio clips, not MIDI. Otherwise, it is curious how they differ. Originally I thought I'd prefer having the audio looping the entire time. With there only being a couple clips lasting a couple minutes and with how long it takes to complete a single lap however... I think the N64 port had the right approach.