• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Would work really well. After all, Palpatine arranged the whole Operation Cinder after his death. He had a lot of things planned just incase he died. I'm sure that the First Order and Snoke were also somewhat set in motion in the case he died/vanished and so he could work on coming back.

This is just fucking stupid. Not that it won't probably be true, it's just fucking stupid.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Would work really well. After all, Palpatine arranged the whole Operation Cinder after his death. He had a lot of things planned just incase he died. I'm sure that the First Order and Snoke were also somewhat set in motion in the case he died/vanished and so he could work on coming back.

The whole thing about disappearing into the Unknown Regions to rebuild there is one of his directives, IIRC. Can't remember the exact details from Aftermath, but it's part of why Jakku happened - dude had an observatory on the planet.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The whole thing about disappearing into the Unknown Regions to rebuild there is one of his directives, IIRC. Can't remember the exact details from Aftermath, but it's part of why Jakku happened - dude had an observatory on the planet.
didn't he basically feel snoke already out there? I remember reading it and it seeming like an obvious hint at snoke

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's not that we forgot. We just don't care - and who can blame us when the movie itself doesn't care either? The Last Jedi could've set up something truly unique, a real shake up, with Luke feeling the Jedi shouldn't come back, Ben advocating a clean slate and even Yoda destroying the old Jedi texts...

Yet none of it stuck.

By the time the movie ended we were back to square one - Luke's badass act was not the final act of the Jedi but a promise they would continue, Ben fell back to the tired old "I wanna rule the galaxy!" shtick and the Jedi texts were spirited away safely on the Millennium Falcon.

The biggest problem I have with the The Last Jedi is that it could have been so much more than it was. Instead of a movie that redefined the direction of not just the trilogy but Star Wars as a whole, we got something that honestly might as well not exist given how little of what little happens actually matters.

For all the fuss you guys make about how groundbreaking it is, The Last Jedi is a movie of little consequence. The only thing it even did that actually matters is that it killed off two characters it shouldn't have. It isn't Episode 8, it's Episode 7.5.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the only things The Last Jedi will be remembered for is...

1. It killed off Luke Skywalker prematurely;
2. It also killed off Snoke prematurely, but we got Palpatine back so it's okay;
3. It's a bloody beautiful movie to look at.

This is a good post

I don't hate the movie like some, but TLJ killed any momentum for me in terms of looking forward to IX

Of all the things I'd change about TLJ, and I say this as not a fan of what they did with Luke, I think I'd change the throne room scene - I'd get Rey and Ben taking up together and genuinely rejecting the Jedi and the Sith in equal measure as Ben at one point was suggesting

It would have given a curiousity factor to IX that just isn't there right now

'Lets bring back Palp' feels pretty tacky right now. I await the movie as they may pull it off, but my faith isn't sky high

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just fucking stupid. Not that it won't probably be true, it's just fucking stupid.
The new EU novels setup a lot of Palpatine contingency plan stuff, heavily hinting he has a plan for if ROTJ went bad as it did. I think people just assumed it would go nowhere.

But now with Kathy Kennedy coming out and saying it has been the plan at Lucasfilm for Palpatine to be in IX since day 1 of this new era of Star Wars its pretty clear that the Palpatine hinting and setup in the novels was related to this.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would be super excited if Palpatine moved the Kamino cloning facilities to a planet in the Unknown Regions, so they could work on cloning him should he die, and Snoke was actually tasked with ensuring everything went smoothly.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I feel most confident in is Kylo killing Snoke and declaring himself in charge of the First Order is what kickstarts Palpatine coming out of the shadows and getting his hands dirty.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Palpatine was Sheev's Heartless.

Snoke was his Nobody.

Now that both have been defeated the original Senate himself is back to fulfill his ambitions of taking over the force by forging the ultimate lightsaber. The Lite-Saber.

Rey must now find a way to restore Luke whose essence is asleep within her and find the lost lights Ezra Bridger and Ahsoka Tano. Together with Finn, Rose, Poe and Chewbacca they are the seven lights that will face OG Sheev's thirteen Darknesses which include revived versions of Anakin, Vader, Dooku, Ventress, Palpatine and Snoke together with Sheev and the 6 Knights of Ren.

They'll be waiting for Rey in the land where it all began. The Saber Graveyard.

Reconnect.

The Force.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The new EU novels setup a lot of Palpatine contingency plan stuff, heavily hinting he has a plan for if ROTJ went bad as it did. I think people just assumed it would go nowhere.

But now with Kathy Kennedy coming out and saying it has been the plan at Lucasfilm for Palpatine to be in IX since day 1
of this new era of Star Wars its pretty clear that the Palpatine hinting and setup in the novels was related to this.

Oh please, that's just marketing. What they really mean is they threw around ideas at the start and one of them included bringing back Palpatine, they had no idea they would actually do it two movies later.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But now with Kathy Kennedy coming out and saying it has been the plan at Lucasfilm for Palpatine to be in IX since day 1 of this new era of Star Wars its pretty clear that the Palpatine hinting and setup in the novels was related to this.

I wonder if this means Sloane will be in Episode IX. She'd easily be in her 70s by now, but she could've stayed behind in the Unknown Regions while Snoke took a fleet of their ships to destroy the New Republic. If Palpatine does have a cloning factory out there, she could be the one who turns it on after Snoke dies as per Palpatine's own contingencies.

It would be kind of crazy for the lead character in a videogame to be a major antagonist behind the scenes of the trilogy, but it would make perfect sense and Chuck Wendig here may be saying she's quite important. Plus it would imply that unlike certain other franchises, the stuff that happens in the novels and videogames are indeed canon and won't just get cheeky nods in the movies but are an integral part of them.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so over under on this movie being awful but fans blame The Last Jedi for writing them into a corner.

Go back a week and it was the same, but the other way around. Every bad choice in The Last Jedi was because Abrams wrote it into a corner or because he didn't give Johnson any choice but to do things in a certain way.

This shit is like a neverending circle, except we used to just blame George Lucas for everything.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
DO YOU REMEMBER TAH SKYWAAALKERRRS?

Lmao this shit of a series man. Why won´t it die already.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair it was a bit hard for people to get that "let the past die" wasn't the message since the movie had people surviving in space, using hyperspace like a weapon, Rey matching the Skywalkers in the span of 6 hours with no prior Force training, that Luke abandoned everything he stood for with questionable reasons to change his mind 5 minutes at the end then die because of "effort", got rid of the big bad with a gag, and then having the random ass kid with developed Force powers coming out of nowhere "eVeRYboDy cAn bE a jEDi nOW" as if the prequels hadn't shown that already except they had to train), and both the items representing the light side and dark side were crushed to pieces (helmet and the lightsaber).

The nail in the coffin was Kylo throwing out all his character development in the last 10 minutes to inexplicably revert back to murderous 12 years old.

Of course Rey becoming a Jedi, getting the books, and Luke quoting Ben proved the message of the movie was the opposite of letting the past die, in terms of philosophy....

The problem is that it still succeeded to actively kill the past in ways that many people could not get over.
So that philosophy was more a slap in the face than a hopeful one for the people that did not enjoy the film.

(And just so we avoid an argument about the film, I'm not saying any of these reasons are objective things that make the movie bad, there is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to Star Wars and that's fine, I'm just saying these are things a lot of people disliked that made it hard to move on and look forward to the future)

We could go meta and say that The Last Jedi destroyed a lot of things people cared about to make them crave the past so much that IX giving it back feels very cathartic. In which case I guess TLJ would be more interesting and acceptable than many people felt it was at release.

But that's not a thought I'll entertain until we see how IX concludes.

And personally the only thing I hope is touched up from TLJ is Luke's exile having a bit more to it. Again, TLJ lovers think he was great, but let's not kid ourselves, the number one complaint is Luke's behavior, so if they can throw us a bone there, I'm sure you'll be fine with it, and people can just move on and go back to enjoying Star Wars and having fun theories and stuff with the community, instead of being at war.

I hope to god Rey isn't a Skywalker though, this is too late to change who she is. There is nothing wrong with her being a strong "nobody", now that we have a time skip we can rationalize that she just trained really hard in between movies. No issue there. Forcing a lineage on her at this point would harm the character even more. I don't mind seeing her actual parents and why they abandoned her though. She needs closure.
Thanks for this summation. This is how I feel. Between the iconoclasm, the abandonment of any character development for Ben, and the abhorrent behavior of Luke (we went form thinking he went to the First Jedi Temple to learn how to defeat Snoke and free Ben to learning that he was a coward and an asshole who just wanted to fuck off and die) TLJ was a horrible film for me and many like me.

didn't he basically feel snoke already out there? I remember reading it and it seeming like an obvious hint at snoke
We don't know now. That was what was implied before they killed off Snoke without any backstory but now it appears that it is was the Grysk.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
"Didn't you know, young Jedi? I was always there."

RewardingQuerulousCrow-size_restricted.gif
Hahaha perfect!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Star Wars will never die. There will be new Star Wars movies being made long after you and the rest of us are dead.

The franchise is absolutely showing cracks, and the MCU has all but stealed it's position as pop culture Juggernaut.

"If it bleeds..."

"My franchise is unkillable so I'll do the bare minimum effort" has never worked.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DO YOU REMEMBER TAH SKYWAAALKERRRS?

Lmao this shit of a series man. Why won´t it die already.

Such a dumb comment. THIS TRILOGY IS THE CONCLUSION OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA, and was always going to be. I really don't understand how some of you don't get that. If you don't like it, there will be an entire new trilogy after this one that is NOT the same story. Until then, please go watch something else and stop whining about how this 9th and final installment of the Skywalker saga references the Skywalkers. Damn.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
We went from thinking...

That was within the character of Luke Skywalker we had come to know from the OT, not giving up, not running away. So the drastic character assassination in TLJ wasn't something any of us could predict.

Did you had the same issue when TFA released? Because thats were they set this stuff up.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The franchise is absolutely showing cracks, and the MCU has all but stealed it's position as pop culture Juggernaut.

"If it bleeds..."

"My franchise is unkillable so I'll do the bare minimum effort" has never worked.

I don't know where you're going with this. They're both owned by Disney. There's no competition there. If Endgame breaks two billion like Infinity War and The Force Awakens, then all that comes from it is that Disney will be able to point at three or four movies - since there's no telling yet how much Episode IX might make - and say "oh hey, remember when breaking a billion was a big deal?"

Can't even say "call me when either beats James Cameron" 'cause Disney owns his biggest sellers too now.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Such a dumb comment. THIS TRILOGY IS THE CONCLUSION OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA, and was always going to be. I really don't understand how some of you don't get that. If you don't like it, there will be an entire new trilogy after this one that is NOT the same story. Until then, please go watch something else and stop whining about how this 9th and final installment of the Skywalker saga references the Skywalkers. Damn.

I thought they´re all dead by now? There is no Skywalker left? Well I should have watch TLJ longer than 20min. but I couldn´t cuz it was so fucking miserable. Yes you´re right. I should leave this joke of a "saga" alone. Sorry for not resisting enough to keep my hot takes for myself but it´s true: Star Wars is a big pile of crap since the release of the Special Edition xD Geez I appreciate even the prequels more now.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, they've been referencing Palpatine, his contingency plans, and his desire to find immortality in various media since before TFA released

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to"

Ep 9: Rise of the Skywalker.

And Sidius laugh...this is ep VII level of pandering. I have no hope whatsoever.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been discussed yet? In the shot with the spinning A-wing the silhouette of the Star Destroyer is much more that of an Imperial class Star Destroyer not a resurgent class star destroyer:

Trailer:
2LQJXpf.png

Imperial class:
FDqiMqd.png

Resurgent class:
ZPFVofQ.jpg

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Message and theme of TLJ: 'Let the past die. Kill it. Move on from the characters you know. The old guard are gone'

Episode IX: 'Palpatines behind it all'

It may play better in the movie, but calling BS on Palpatine's return being planned beforehand as some kind of super long game, equally with this being marketed as the end of the Skywalker saga.

Rey, Finn et al just weren't developed properly enough to carry IX alone and they need to fall back on the old familiars. Genuinely think they should have either had Luke feature more prominently from TFA onwards or just been brave and not had the old characters at all.

As such it's felt like a half and half approach between pleasing all sides that just wasn't thought through

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did you had the same issue when TFA released? Because thats were they set this stuff up.

Considering how he left a map behind and went to a special location, most people thought he was doing something special there back during TFA. It was only TLJ that settled it on him doing nothing all those years and just hiding out, uninterested in ever getting involved with the outside world again.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
"Let the past die" is not the point of view of TLJ. "Learn from the failures of the past and be better than it rather than running from it" is. Stop letting one line said by a dude who was just desperately trying to get the girl he likes to take over the galaxy with him define the whole movie.

And even if that WAS the message, guess what this movie is about? Ending a 40 year long saga. It's almost like it's... moving on from the past after this, but taking one last nostalgic romp around the galaxy before it does it