• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The return

335g78brf4s21.jpg

Casual Fridays on Coruscant.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
If he actually died and has returned from the dead, I bet he used his time in The Beyond to gather a shit ton of arcane knowledge from other Sith lords. Hoping we see some wild, mythical feeling force powers from him

The thing that irks me about the coming back from the dead element is that I feel it creates an unsatisfying narrative loop. If he can come back from the dead...what's the point in killing him again? He could just return again. I think the idea of him being gravely wounded and on the cusp of death after ROTJ, but using his powers to keep himself alive and then heal, is a bit more stable.

But yeah, I would love to see some arcane, mythical Force abilities from him.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think Palpatine was actually pretty excited in Revenge of the Sith because everything was going according to plan. He was actually winning. How could you not be gleeful? He won't be anywhere near as crazy in this one, I think.

Not that I'd mind if he was.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think Palpatine was actually pretty excited in Revenge of the Sith because everything was going according to plan. He was actually winning. How could you not be gleeful? He won't be anywhere near as crazy in this one, I think.

Not that I'd mind if he was.

This is why I've never understood people complaining about the ham in RotS. The guy had been plotting this takeover for decades and everything was going keikaku doori. Why wouldn't he be having a ball?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It would be cool if there were more aliens in the main cast In Star Wars, maybe like Guardians of the Galaxy. Its kind of pathetic that the only one with any screen time seems to be Chewbacca who is just kind of there.

This is how I've always felt, and maybe part of why I have a hard time really adoring Star Wars as some do. The only core-cast alien characters in the movies are Chewbacca, Yoda, and fucking Jar Jar.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
"Ben...my nephew...with that mighty Skywalker blood." -Luke

KYLO REN WILL TURN AND TRAIN THE NEXT GENERATION OF JEDI.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I've always felt, and maybe part of why I have a hard time really adoring Star Wars as some do. The only core-cast alien characters in the movies are Chewbacca, Yoda, and fucking Jar Jar.

Two of which are OT characters, with Yoda being turned into a turbo ninja in the prequels and a ghost mage in TLJ because we cant have Star Wars without showing how amazing Yoda is every single time for the fans. Chewie is the opposite, where im not even sure what his point is any more.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I still believe that Snoke is Darth Plagueis. There's just so much evidence for it but I have to admit this return of Palpatine is really mysterious. We know Plagueis can revive people. What if there's some connection there?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I've never understood people complaining about the ham in RotS. The guy had been plotting this takeover for decades and everything was going keikaku doori. Why wouldn't he be having a ball?

If I were living down the street from the Jedi and they never figured it out even after I arranged for them to fight alongside an army that'd kill them for me at a moment's notice in a war that spanned the entire galaxy and isolated the Jedi from each other so they'd all die alone with no idea why?

Yeah I'd be dancing down the bloody hallway every night.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The real question here is:

How much ham are we getting from Ian McDiarmid? Slight, mostly evil in ROTJ? Or full blow Exorcist crossed with The Room like we got in PT?
I guess it's part of my headcanon that older Palpatine is the grimmer, more serious figure we see in ROTJ, and I would expect him to be that way decades later. I am too attached to that original idea of "The Emperor" being a scary old corpse, not really a moustache-twirling figure. I can accept his ROTS-era ham as a trait of his ascension... but I get the impression that he has become a bitter and serious withered husk over his decades of rule. A little cackling here and there, but mostly a gaunt, miserable tone.

Also I think in line with most of the philosophy of the sequel trilogy, the characterization they'll tend to refer back to is from the OT.

Last edited:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they get Sheev's make up right this time and not give him a suddenly fat neck out of the blue.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
If he actually died and has returned from the dead, I bet he used his time in The Beyond to gather a shit ton of arcane knowledge from other Sith lords. Hoping we see some wild, mythical feeling force powers from him

Oh man, I hope not. That'd be like watching Yoda flip around like a deranged monkey in AOTC.

Palpatine isn't about showboating or obvious displays of power. He's all about planning, patience, and above all, manipulation. If Manipulation is a Force power, then Palp's the most powerful force user of all time.

The only time he gets physical is when he feels forced by the situation, and even then it's simple and efficient.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I guess it's part of my headcanon that older Palpatine is the grimmer, more serious figure we see in ROTJ, and I would expect him to be that way decades later. I am too attached to that original idea of "The Emperor" being a scary old corpse, not really a moustache-twirling figure. I can accept his ROTS-era ham as a trait of his ascension... but I get the impression that he has become a bitter and serious withered husk over his decades of rule. A little cackling here and there, but mostly a gaunt, miserable tone.

Also I think in line with most of the philosophy of the sequel trilogy, the characterization they'll tend to refer back to is from the OT.
Yup this makes sense to me

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
If Palpatine is back, I want Ian to go EVEN FURTHER BEYOND in terms of ham.

There's no level of ham from him I won't enjoy.

Jan 3, 2018
Oh man, I hope not. That'd be like watching Yoda flip around like a deranged monkey in AOTC.

Palpatine isn't about showboating or obvious displays of power. He's all about planning, patience, and above all, manipulation. If Manipulation is a Force power, then Palp's the most powerful force user of all time.

The only time he gets physical is when he feels forced by the situation, and even then it's simple and efficient.

I agree, I'm sure lots of others agree, but would JJ agree?

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, I don't want him throwing tons of shit and blowing things up, but some weird esoteric power that is just a slow, creeping doom would be neat, or even just something subtle but scary and powerful. But I do totally see where you're coming from

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he's alive, it should be his ROTJ characterization.

If he's a ghost, free from the limitations of the physical body, go all the way on the ROTS style ham.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
To be clear, I don't want him throwing tons of shit and blowing things up, but some weird esoteric power that is just a slow, creeping doom would be neat, or even just something subtle but scary and powerful. But I do totally see where you're coming from

Ah, I got ya. Yeah, he's big on presenting the illusion of invincibility and total control, so maybe if they show something new it'll related to that.

Jan 3, 2018
They were on the forest moon of Endor, not Endor itself. (but yes, i am worried about Ewoks)

I thought there was a theory that "Forest moon of Endor" was just an odd way of saying that the forest moon was called Endor. I haven't read any EU materials so I don't know if it was ever clarified.

Edit: nevermind, Palpatine says "Endor moon"

Last edited:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depending on how this movie plays its cards, it may definitely have to make the PT required viewing lol

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I thought there was a theory that "Forest moon of Endor" was just an odd way of saying that the forest moon was called Endor. I haven't read any EU materials so I don't know if it was ever clarified.

Yeah, it's always been a bit wonky, since there were several script revisions for Jedi and the description for Endor never changed to reflect the updates. Endor was originally a moon of the capital planet where all of the stuff between Vader/Luke/Emperor would take place. They were to do battle deep in the bowels of the planet among magma rivers and stone outcroppings, with Palpy watching from a stone throne.

Once they decided to move away from the planet and use another Death Star instead, they didn't update the names for Endor ("Forest Moon, Sanctuary Moon") to reflect.

It ended up being a moon that's didn't appear to orbit anything, so they had to try and explain it in ancillary media.