• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Unless they plan to have Luke rise from the dead, like space Jesus, I'm hoping the Skywalker name becoming legend and bringing together a new resistance, is the way they go with this.

That will be far better and more believable than Rey turning out to be a Skywalker.

Skywalker University. Challenging degrees for Force sensitives, aspiring ace pilots, translation droids, and bumbling sidekicks.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to think that they wheel Ian McDiarmid onto set on one of those Hannibal Lecter upright gurneys, then they get everyone in their places, the crew takes cover, and right as the director shouts 'ACTION' they let him out of his fetters and he just SHEEVS IT UP. Just 400% Sheev all over the set.

Then when they've got the footage they need they bring in the team of wranglers to calm him down and tie him up again.

This had me chuckling. PFFTPFFTPFFTPFFTPFFTPFFT*

*that's the Hannibal Lecter sound

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SNOKE: Leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise.
Snoke wasn't shit. He got played by his own apprentice.

Technically, Skywalker did return as a projection, inspiring people across the galaxy, as depicted at the end of TLJ with the slave kids. The new Jedi will rise in or by the end of The Rise of Skywalker, as the new name of Skywalkers.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
OK so I read all 89 pages of this thread and didn't see this posted anywhere. Doesn't look perfectly the same to me buuuuuuut
56949255_2102771166503999_1258831085979041792_n.jpg

Wonder if the designs slightly changed from then until now. I know nothing about them yet I think they're so cool...makes me think they'll get dusted like all the cool mystery characters in the entire franchise...except for Bossk...nobody fucks with Bossk.
There was a leaked piece of promo art (guessing it's the kinda stuff they use for school notebooks and etc.) that has the Knights of Ren designs from Episode IX. I remember them looking quite different than that art you quoted.

Also the dude that gets killed looks like he's got big, thick, possibly furry hands.
So whoever that dude is could possibly be of the same race that fixed Kylo's helmet?

Something I've been theorising. May sound like utter fanfiction but hold on with me.

Could Rey be the reincarnation of Anakin? The timeframe would seem to fit. As Anakin died, Rey would be born right at that time and here she is some 19 years later. That would explain the title 'The Rise of Skywalker'. That she as some kind of reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker, the alledged prophercised one, will rise up and defeat Palpatine once again.

Not that she would have to be Anakin exactly but she holds some of the force of Anakin. It would also explain why she saw those visions of the Bespin corridor when she touched the lightsaber for the very first time in TFA. It was like a flashback.

Sounds corny as hell I know, but I can't think of how else the title would make sense. Ben is technically more of a Solo and this isn't really his story, it's more Rey's story. Like others have been theorising that Skywalker could be a term for the inbetweeness of Jedi and Sith, but I'm not sure the story will go down that path. Rey is considered the last Jedi after all.
So this is prolly gonna sound fuckin crazy and I don't fully ascribe to it myself but bear with me. I was gonna share a video of this but the one guy whose vids I actually watched about it deleted his Youtube channel within the past week. ☹️

There are fan theories going around that Kylo and Rey are spiritual reincarnations of (respectively) Anakin and Padmé YES THIS IS TIED TO REYLO SHIPPING JUST BEAR WITH ME. The idea is that Anakin hasn't fully completed his redemption because he and Padmé, love of his life, haven't been reunited in spirit. There are a lot of folks who have been analyzing the ST to try and show evidence that Kylo's/Rey's stories are Anakin's/Padmé's stories in the PT basically being played out in reverse - for example, Anakin starts out as an innocent boy who wants to do good yet becomes corrupted by evil, while Kylo starts out as corrupted and must refind his innocence or whatever. Some people go so far as to claim certain shots/scenes in the ST are deliberate recreations of those in the PT in terms of framing and such.

I think it's too silly to take too seriously, but the part of me that loves playing with themes in my stories (and the part of me that likes the idea of Reylo even tho I'm pretty certain that's not gonna happen) would not at all mind if there was just enough in Episode IX to have the theory fit if you looked at it the right way.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Hey I like making sure I'm as informed as possible and that I'm not repeating a talking point that's been driven into the ground already before I post anything

Also I've been here since literally the second Ian McDiarmid showed up at Celebration and my brain moves so fast I need stuff to keep it occupied during the day lol

Oh has anyone suggested that "Skywalker" might refer to a group of people, and not a singular person? Like, maybe Rey starts a new faction of Force wielders and names it after Luke? I know that sounds a little crazy but

😜

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I just think the Emperor laugh is just a misdirection and the Emperor is another vision, perhaps assisted by Luke Skywalker (if Rey sees it) or through some weird vision that Kylo Ren manifests.

It would be incredibly disappointing if the Emperor returned — even as a clone or some shit like that.
It's not a misdirection. He's going to be in the movie..but I don't think he's alive per say. But I'm thinking Rey has everything to do with Palpatine's long term plans.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i am ok with exploring reys background (how and why exactly was she put on jakku) but i really, really hope they dont turn her into a skywalker or someone "special" (obi wans daughter or palpatines...whatever). and i really hope rey is related to keri russels character (maybe her older sister that was also "sold-off").

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
My super nerd work friend who sent me that comparison pic is gonna be absolutely tickled that y'all are getting a kick out of it.

OK so in terms of the Knights of Ren, since I haven't seen all the pics we have of them (or speculated to be them) altogether to compare side-by-side, I decided to compile them into one post!

Spoiler'd because spoilers:

OAazEcl.jpg

9684864692.jpg

kCI7Vwq.jpg

0sk2vHA.jpg

yrd6wtZfTi5Tv5T7Ka9_IxcVjNIEo2iGIMPkHr80dP2Ke1gRX1FT48V8m_EjtThKOgrbN4U_da6uph84AMyoXBYn51x41CEyUUr26nGrl2_LubOQFSLNz3q-iN3ILiVM89zYzx8PIQ=w1064-h598-no

Also, as interested as I am in seeing how the film turns out, I might be the most excited about whatever new Black Series figures we're gonna get. Would love to get some of these characters with that nice new face paint tech instead of dropping $50+ for the fancier figs.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they go mysterious with Palpatine's return. Don't just have him be his physical old ROTJ self after getting shafted and exploded by Vader. He should not even be there physically in any form.
I can see a scene where Kylo finds the DS2 throne room, walks up to the throne, sits down, confident in himself finally having reached the end of his Galaxy spanning Empire nostalgia tour and owning it all now.
Then a slow cackle from all around him starts to grow, stronger and stronger. (think Jabba laugh when Leia thinks she has just freed Solo)
Kylo starts to show fear on his face and something is taking him over - until Palpatine basically completes an Invasion of the Body Snatchers on Kylo and is now him.
He basically groomed and lured the most powerful force using idiot towards his resting place where he needed his body to do a Voldemort and live again.

Jedi ghosts inspire those that can see them.
Sith ghosts should be ones that possess others out of selfishness.

04-13-Emperors-Throne-Room-Underwater.jpg

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
On the ship note, it could just be reusing the model as a generic transport.

On the other hand, usually Star Wars likes to invent new ships for that sort of thing so there's more merch to sell. So hm...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Look you're never gonna please everybody and star wars was never meant to be scrutinized.

I hope the toxicity RLM brought with their prequels hate is more obvious now with their sequels hate.

What I'm seeing is that a lot fans that hated TLJ are hopeful for IX after the celebration and that's a good thing.

The alt right idiots and RLM are basically the only ones hating on it just like TFA.

Which is a nice upgrade over what happened last time.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't stop laughing when they revealed that title. JJ Abrams and co really are the most uninspired hacks in the industry.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look you're never gonna please everybody and star wars was never meant to be scrutinized.

I hope the toxicity RLM brought with their prequels hate is more obvious now with their sequels hate.

What I'm seeing is that a lot fans that hated TLJ are hopeful for IX after the celebration and that's a good thing.

The alt right idiots and RLM are basically the only ones hating on it just like TFA.

I was actually disappointed by how positive RLM were about TFA at the time.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we go back to where it all began in this...
NABOO

WESA GOIN HOMEE

edit: to link all the trilogies together this film should have a new world, prequel world and and OT world

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't stop laughing when they revealed that title. JJ Abrams and co really are the most uninspired hacks in the industry.

In all fairness, how is it any worse than the previous titles? Star Wars is a space fantasy and it doesn't take itself super seriously like a science fiction film does and besides, "Attack of the Clones" reads like some 50s space invader comic.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
But Mike and RLM quite liked TFA?

Mike said he loved it in the Half in the Bag, but then the Plinkett review came out and it was just the same old alt-right pandering and 'shot for shot remake' talking points and that every other schmuck on Youtube had been hitting since the movie came out. At this point you already know what they're going to say about Episode IX without even needing to see it.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Then they lost all credibility when they released the TFA plinket review to pander to certain audiences.

Ahh the Plinket review - I don't recall it for TFA but I can probably guess

It's a shame they felt the need to still cater to that audience. Whilst many on ERA don't like RLM period, I find Mike as a film critic great and intelligent when he's speaking from a genuine place, however over the years that's become very variable whether we're getting the genuine Mike or the faux outrage Mike.

You get the feeling the prequel Plinkets that made their name came from this place but probably less so TFA and TLJ

As to the RLM video response to TROS trailer, I'll refer Mike to one of the Plinket prequel reviews - 'Breivity is the soul of wit'

That didn't need to be 4:38 at all for what they were going for. 2 minutes at best

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
i am ok with exploring reys background (how and why exactly was she put on jakku) but i really, really hope they dont turn her into a skywalker or someone "special" (obi wans daughter or palpatines...whatever). and i really hope rey is related to keri russels character (maybe her older sister that was also "sold-off").

Not amount of change.org signature can stop the parentage train at this point.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OK so I read all 89 pages of this thread and didn't see this posted anywhere. Doesn't look perfectly the same to me buuuuuuut

lol

but they're unimportant nobodies.

It's kinda funny how it all turned out but I respect Abrams taking some responsibility and opening his mystery boxes.

This is a really dumb take. Trying to paint everyone that didn't like a movie (or are you just talking about a movie trailer) as alt-right only makes you look like deranged fanboy.

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is a really dumb take. Trying to paint everyone that didn't like a movie (or are you just talking about a movie trailer) as alt-right only makes you look like deranged fanboy.

Right. Overall I didn't like TLJ but I can articulate the things it did well in equal measure

On a similar note I think a lot of comments about RLMs take on TLJ are clouded by people's broad dislike of the more brash elements in their shows and not specifically the TLJ review itself

I've just revisited their Half in the Bag for it (TLJ) and honestly, there's some appreciation in there too and it isn't trashing it through and through

Mike pretty much starts of his take of it as "I don't want to say it's a mess but it is 'messy'" and broadly I think that's where I'm at