• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Right. Overall I didn't like TLJ but I can articulate the things it did well in equal measure

On a similar note I think a lot of comments about RLMs take on TLJ are clouded by people's broad dislike of the more brash elements in their shows and not specifically the TLJ review itself

I've just revisited their Half in the Bag for it (TLJ) and honestly, there's some appreciation in there too and it isn't trashing it through and through

Mike pretty much starts of his take of it as "I don't want to say it's a mess but it is 'messy'" and broadly I think that's where I'm at
they complain about diversity and their plan for the Picard show included, amongst other things, fridging Dr Crusher.

they have bad taste, and boring ideas. it's not the tone of their stuff that bothers me, but the substance.

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I first saw TLJ I left the theatre asking myself "did i like that?".

There are some great parts of the movie: the relationship between Rey an Kylo. The death of snoke and the ensuing fight. The hyperdrive manoeuvre. I really liked Luke's characterization and the reveal of why Ben left. I thought it was a great send off for the character. The cinematography was really great.

But the are quite a few things I didn't like. Most of the humor fell flat for me (unlike TFA where I thought most of the quips we funny). The side story with Poe, Finn and Rose was so boring to me. I felt like we built up this potential friendship with Poe and Finn and just didn't execute it. The whole Canto Bite sequence was extremely boring to me... I was asking myself when it was going to be over when I first watched it. The Chase scene was so horrible to me, had me rolling my eyes. That whole sequence felt like an hour to me. The scene with Leia using the force has me laughing. Not because she was using the force but the way it was filmed made it comical. Just straight up looked funny to me which is annoying because it should've felt dramatic. I didn't like the romance between Finn and Rose because it really paled in comparison to Finn and Rey's relationship in TFA. Just felt like a waste of time when at the time I felt Finn and Rey liked each other and that was eventually going somewhere. Oh yeah and I didn't like the cameo by Yoda... It was just odd to me that he was so light hearted. Can't really explain why that bugged me, maybe I'm over all the fan service.

After thinking about the TLJ for awhile it bothered me even more when I thought about the next movie. What was the point of killing Snoke just to subvert an expectation? It was a cool scene but I was left feeling lost about the conflict. I was very interested in the mystery of the character and now I don't think it'll be explored. I liked that Rey had to come to grips with actually not being special, but now I'm concerned this will be reversed and I prefer the prior message that we all can do great things.

There really should've been a plan. That's basic writing, you lay out a general plot before you start writing.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Ben and Rey interplay was legitimately a highlight, Driver especially putting in work in what could have easily gone wrong as role

I wish they expanded on it and made it the main thrust of the climax, giving more of a momentum going into IX

they complain about diversity and their plan for the Picard show included, amongst other things, fridging Dr Crusher.

they have bad taste, and boring ideas. it's not the tone of their stuff that bothers me, but the substance.

Whilst I hear you and you're entirely entitled to that view, you're quoting me saying people are bringing in their broader dislike towards RLM and not actually the content of their thoughts on TLJ HITB, by telling me your broader dislike towards RLM

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol
This is a really dumb take. Trying to paint everyone that didn't like a movie (or are you just talking about a movie trailer) as alt-right only makes you look like deranged fanboy.
RLM says a lot of alt-right things though. No painting needed. They openly embrace being right-wing on social issues. They have attacked the concept of "SJW"s. They have ranted about Brie Larson and feminism. They complain about "forced diversity". In a livestream they attacked the Women's March that marched against Trump saying "Trump won, get over it".

RLM are anti-feminist. They have proven that is where they stand time and time again.

The only people who don't see it have their head purposely buried in the sand or are an incel themselves. There is a reason women don't go on their youtube channel anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad people aren't tripping over themselves to hurl insults at each other any more. Seems like Abrams did good and the trailer was just enough to get everyone back on track and looking forward to the next movie rather than behind at the last.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RLM criticizing TFA for not having more overt sexuality was probably the weirdest take I had seen for the movie then.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RLM says a lot of alt-right things though. No painting needed. They openly embrace being right-wing on social issues. They have attacked the concept of "SJW"s. They have ranted about Brie Larson and feminism. They complain about "forced diversity". In a livestream they attacked the Women's March that marched against Trump saying "Trump won, get over it".

RLM are anti-feminist. They have proven that is where they stand time and time again.

The only people who don't see it have their head purposely buried in the sand or are an incel themselves. There is a reason women don't go on their youtube channel anymore.
"The alt right idiots and RLM are basically the only ones hating on it just like TFA."

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's plenty of things to dislike about TFA/TLJ without being accused of hating women or being alt-right

and once RoS comes out, as another 7/10 JJ Abrrams movie, I'm sure wel'll have that conversation again

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Could have sworn you were a TLJ fan
It has some really great moments, with the best director of performances and images the series has ever had, but the film's structure is a disaster zone. All the good things the Rey/Kylo/Luke sections are doing all constantly being pulled down by the mid-tier Battlestar Galactia episode with Poe/Laura Dern and the dramatically dire Finn/Rose parts. And most of the humor is just...bad, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
It has some really great moments, with the best director of performances and images the series has ever had, but the film's structure is a disaster zone. All the good things the Rey/Kylo/Luke sections are doing all constantly being pulled down by the mid-tier Battlestar Galactia episode with Poe/Laura Dern and the dramatically dire Finn/Rose parts. And most of the humor is just...bad, lol.

That's fair. I agree on the humor, it's pretty quirky and "out there." TFA captured that humorous SW spirit much better. But some of the more outlandish humorous bits kinda work for me ... like Luke milking the titty and the Porgs are pretty cute. Worst humor for me is the moments between Kylo Ren and Hux in the climax. Little too close to Spaceballs for my taste.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
as much as I like to hate on Abrams, there's really not much to continue from TLJ's themes. There's a sense of finality in how it treats its characters and the series in general, where anything that comes afterwards may feel anticipated and dull. Fittingly enough, it reminds me of how Breaking Bad ends at Ozymandias in my mind (which Rian Johnson also directed) and everything after that episode is the show kinda going through the motions just to deliver some closure.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't buy into this. Villains aren't always wrong because they are bad guys.
Kylo is an example of a villain who's completely wrong because he's not a good person and both films make it a point to make it so. Kylo is not Killmonger, nothing he says has an actual point or merit because he himself undermines his words. He's the definition of the term, "self destructive."

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy into this. Villains aren't always wrong because they are bad guys. Look at Black Panther for example.
It's not because he's a bad guy. It's because the movie explicitly shows that his philosophy is misguided and the protagonists progress by not letting the past die but instead accepting and learning from it

Oct 28, 2017
I don't buy into this. Villains aren't always wrong because they are bad guys. Look at Black Panther for example.
Kilmonger was only partially correct in that King T'Chaka, and rulers before him, were wrong to turn a blind eye to the suffering of black peoples around the world, but the movie roundly rejects the idea that Wakanda should resist systemic oppression thru violent uprising.

The message I took from TLJ is that you cannot escape your past by running and hiding (like Luke) or by burning it all down (like Kylo). The only way to grow beyond your mistakes is to face them head on and take the good with the bad.

Last edited:

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
as much as I like to hate on Abrams, there's really not much to continue from TLJ's themes. There's a sense of finality in how it treats its characters and the series in general, where anything that comes afterwards may feel anticipated and dull. Fittingly enough, it reminds me of how Breaking Bad ends at Ozymandias in my mind (which Rian Johnson also directed) and everything after that episode is the show kinda going through the motions just to deliver some closure.

Yeah, I think JJ went in the only interesting direction you could go considering TLJ didn't leave any plot threads/mysteries.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_ppwz5bOrBF1qeeipjo1_1280.png

tumblr_ppwz5bOrBF1qeeipjo2_1280.png

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The internet in general.

It's been this way since the special editions in 1997. I remember the angry internet arguments about "Han Shot First" when I was around 12 in 1997.

And the argument have never stopped once the past 22 years.

The rage about the Special Editions was probably the only time it was actually justified, though. He was destroying classic films. Look at that awful CGI today, and there's no official HD version of the movies without it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

There really were too many separate plotlines going on despite ending it with very little intrigue, which is not a great way to end the middle film in a trilogy. Even though it just amounted to one of many shitty comedy scenes, ending TFA with questions like "is Finn going to be ok?" was something.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
man that is weird! Crazy if he actually knows. I doubt the Grievious stuff tho

Last edited: