• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
That tweet date

deathstar-1555097288419_1280w.jpg

Impressive. Most Impressive

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying he was in the know, but if he was it would be interesting if the title and Palpatine living were from GL's story treatment. I'm pretty sure the concept art was done in the spring of 2013. There was another painting for VII that was specifically of Palpatine's tower underwater.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
From Book of Sith:

Through the art of dark transfer, I will soon move myself to a younger body cloned from my own cells. I will achieve immortality. Even if I am killed, I will return from the chaos of nonbeing to restored physical life. This, even my Master could not achieve. I knew it was so when I halted this breathing and watched the light vanish from his eyes. He sought the secret of life, to live forever, but I took his life. I remain the ultimate Sith.

d858qaoa66s21.jpg

May easily mean nothing, although Rian Johnson referred to the Jedi book counterpart when he tweeted about Luke's Force ability in TLJ.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Honestly if Kylo was anything like killmonger the resistance would've lost already. Now there's a man with resolve.

Killmonger was battle hardened and walked a difficult path for most of his life alone. Kylo Ren didn't fight in wars, he had two loving parents & an uncle and he wasn't cut off from his heritage. You couldn't find two villains more different from one another, why would we even want Kylo Ren to be like Killmonger?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Killmonger was battle hardened and walked a difficult path for most of his life alone. Kylo Ren didn't fight in wars, he had two loving parents & an uncle and he wasn't cut off from his heritage. You couldn't find two villains more different from one another, why would we even want Kylo Ren to be like Killmonger?

You can sympathise with Killmonger. You can't sympathise with Ben because, as you say, he had a great family and a comfortable life and he threw it all away to be dark and edgy.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You can sympathise with Killmonger. You can't sympathise with Ben because, as you say, he had a great family and a comfortable life and he threw it all away to be dark and edgy.

But his mind was twisted by Snoke's dark influence. Just saying they're different in very important ways, I like them both as villains and there's a reason Ren can't keep up the facade. That doesn't make him a bad character IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
From Book of Sith:

d858qaoa66s21.jpg

May easily mean nothing, although Rian Johnson referred to the Jedi book counterpart when he tweeted about Luke's Force ability in TLJ.

It's definitely something they could pull back into canon in their own way if they wanted to. They say this movie will wrap up all the entire story from all three trilogies. If they really mean it then I assume it will have connective tissue to all three. Which leads me to wonder, what is still left to be wrapped up from the first two trilogies? What so far has not received a lot of attention?

The prequels are where we still find most of the questions, right? One of the most mysterious unelaborated plot points is Palpatine's relationship with Plagueis, and their studies into life and death. One of the biggest questions was Anakin's conception, heavily implied to be orchestrated by Sidious using as of yet unknown force powers. One of the most important moments was Anakin's choice to join Sidious, driven almost entirely by his offer to discover Plagueis' secret together, work which presumably continued on into the OT. And maybe not so coincidentally, one of the largest features of the prequel trilogy are clones, a project started offscreen in secrecy by Palpatine.

It feels like if you lay all of these things out on a table together and look at it as a whole, it appears that the biggest hanging threads are also the answers to Palpatine's return in TROS. It's possibly the same answer. Suddenly it feels like something is staring me in the face that I should have seen coming. All we need is one more movie to finally connect all those dots.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It has some really great moments, with the best director of performances and images the series has ever had, but the film's structure is a disaster zone. All the good things the Rey/Kylo/Luke sections are doing all constantly being pulled down by the mid-tier Battlestar Galactia episode with Poe/Laura Dern and the dramatically dire Finn/Rose parts. And most of the humor is just...bad, lol.

It reminding me of a BSG episode was precisely why I liked the Poe parts tbh lol

But yeah fuck all that Rose/Finn shit btw. Also I remember when they cast Benicio Del Toro and I thought he was gonna be some imposing dark side badass :(

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay here's my pitch that's just fanfic but The Emperor coming back at this point is pretty much fanfic.

Luke comes back like Gandalf in some epic showdown against The Emperor while simultaneously Rey is fighting Kylo. Two masters, two apprentices, two generations, the final showdown.

It sounds ridiculous but once again, The Emperor is making a comeback so why not just go full circle and embrace the fantasy element of this space fantasy.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Okay here's my pitch that's just fanfic but The Emperor coming back at this point is pretty much fanfic.

Luke comes back like Gandalf in some epic showdown against The Emperor while simultaneously Rey is fighting Kylo. Two masters, two apprentices, two generations, the final showdown.

It sounds ridiculous but once again, The Emperor is making a comeback so why not just go full circle and embrace the fantasy element of this space fantasy.
As far as whether this will actually happen, I really don't think it's so ridiculous

Oct 28, 2017
Prediction: Luke is actually talking to Ben in that teaser, not Rey. JJ is faking the shit out of people making them think the title somehow refers to Rey but it's Ben.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: Luke is actually talking to Ben in that teaser, not Rey. JJ is faking the shit out of people making them think the title somehow refers to Rey but it's Ben.
Could be.

"No. Strike me down in anger, and I will always be with you. Just like your father."

"We'll always be with you."

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kilmonger was only partially correct in that King T'Chaka, and rulers before him, were wrong to turn a blind eye to the suffering of black peoples around the world, but the movie roundly rejects the idea that Wakanda should resist systemic oppression thru violent uprising.

The message I took from TLJ is that you cannot escape your past by running and hiding (like Luke) or by burning it all down (like Kylo). The only way to grow beyond your mistakes is to face them head on and take the good with the bad.

Yeah that's exactly what TLJ was saying. Which makes some of the throwing up of hands over IX making returns and callbacks (with a story purpose unlike Hoth 2.0 etc in TLJ) a little weird.

Deleted member 17810

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boy oh boy, so many terrible hot takes from a trailer that doesn't really tell us much.

Someone quote this post when:
1.) Rey isn't really a Skywalker, but she takes the name to honor Luke (She has no last name...)
2.) Palpatine isn't the "Secret big bad", but his evil spirit shows up in some sort of "Sith Tomb" kind of way (Kind of like the Old Republic!) to torment our heroes as they go looking for something important.
3.) The saga wraps up really well.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
They'll use prototype time travel gear in the Death Star 2 to go back and kill Sheev while he's still on Nabbo at the beginning of Episode 1.

Movie ends with Rey and Ben coming back as Jedi Masters in Luke's Temple with secret knowledge of what they did.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It reminding me of a BSG episode was precisely why I liked the Poe parts tbh lol

But yeah fuck all that Rose/Finn shit btw. Also I remember when they cast Benicio Del Toro and I thought he was gonna be some imposing dark side badass :(

Speaking of Benicio...
Does he really talk like a snake and make weird sound effects in TLJ or was that some Auralnauts-style fuckery?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Benicio...
Does he really talk like a snake and make weird sound effects in TLJ or was that some Auralnauts-style fuckery?
I think that is how his character was written because in the audiobook of the novelization, the narrator also talks like Benicio.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
This looks so hype! Good to see the emperor back, everything is just coming together nicely.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't think it's kylo controlling the ship, I think it's Rey herself. She is training and using her Jedi mind to move the ship around.
Kylo dies in the middle of the movie at the hands of the emperor.
Rey learns she is sky walker lineage ,
Emperor has become the strongest force in the universe as he is the last sith
Rey is also the strong as she is the last Jedi
Rey channels the ghosts of all the past Jedi's including anakin in her fight against the emperor

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017
There is a curious lack of Kylo in this preview which kinda makes me think they're downplaying his role for some reason lol

They're not gonna suddenly turn Kylo into the hero. Everything indicates that this is Rey's movie. It's a teaser trailer and Kylo's scenes probably lean on the spoilerly side so they're deep in the vault at this point.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't actually know why people think it's Rey anyway. Ben is already a Skywalker, except he's one that has tried very hard to "kill his past" and pretend he's someone else. It's more likely he simply accepts who he is and takes the Skywalker name for himself than Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter or something.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rey will take the name, but not be a Skywalker by blood. I was thinking this back after TFA.

As for the rest, well. I had the weirdest dream this morning about it:
Kylo is grievously injured in the field. His own men strangle him when he's unconcscious and get his helmet fixed in order to replace him with their own puppet imposter. Helmet Kylo is a phony.

Then I woke up.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
I'm not sure the title is referring to anyone being a Skywalker, my assumption is that "Skywalker" is the name of something, either a construction (a base or a starship) or a new order of Jedi (the "Order of Skywalker" or whatever). Have it be Rey making sure the Skywalker name survives for generations or something like that.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Yeah, that was my thought. Seems too obvious to refer to Rey but Ben/Kylo actually is a Skywalker.

From a personal perspective I know it's only a trailer but I hope the final film isn't as fan service-ey as it implies. It's like a tick sheet of things the most vocal fans want to see. Here's Kylo fixing his mask, here's the death star, here's the emperor, here's Skywalker in the actual title.

I appreciate it's a teaser to get people excited but for me it's a shame that the work in TLJ to move the series somewhere different appears to be being pushed aside.

On a side note I saw the bit with Carrie Fisher in but sub-consciously didn't twig that obviously it's been done after her death!

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was my thought. Seems too obvious to refer to Rey but Ben/Kylo actually is a Skywalker.

From a personal perspective I know it's only a trailer but I hope the final film isn't as fan service-ey as it implies. It's like a tick sheet of things the most vocal fans want to see. Here's Kylo fixing his mask, here's the death star, here's the emperor, here's Skywalker in the actual title.

I appreciate it's a teaser to get people excited but for me it's a shame that the work in TLJ to move the series somewhere different appears to be being pushed aside.

On a side note I saw the bit with Carrie Fisher in but sub-consciously didn't twig that obviously it's been done after her death!

At this point it's probably wise to just accept the fanservice and roll with it. I'm a fan of TLJ's much reviled "subversiveness", especially in regard to Luke's character, but I'm fully onboard with a more rollicking, adventurous final chapter that fully trades in on spectacle and nostalgic dramatics. We need catharsis after the dark and lore-focused TLJ and JJ's the man to bring it. Just thank the maker we dodged a Trevorrow-shaped bullet.

I expect and look forward to boundary-pushing and series redefinition with Rian's trilogy.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The funniest thing came into my mind now. A lot of people complained that TLJ (and even TFA to some extent) makes the end of RotJ totally useless and ruins the Star Wars forever and yet everybody would be so happy to have Palpatine alive which would be a total retcon of that end.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Palpatine learned how to force project himself after dying that allowed him to take the form of anyone in the living world, similar to Luke's force projection in The Last Jedi