• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bringing Palpatine back is very hokey, but I think I understand why.

The more I think about it if I was JJ and scrambling to pick up the pieces after TLJ... in order to counteract the ridiculousness of Snoke's unceremonious death I think the only solution would be to make Snoke not an actual character at all and just be another failed clone of Palpatine, so when we want more explaination behind Snoke's motivations or backstory we can just have Palpatine deliver it.

It's ugly but that's the best case scenario. I got nothing for poor admiral ackbar tho

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing Palpatine back is very hokey, but I think I understand why.

The more I think about it if I was JJ and scrambling to pick up the pieces after TLJ... in order to counteract the ridiculousness of Snoke's unceremonious death I think the only solution would be to make Snoke not an actual character at all and just be another failed clone of Palpatine, so when we want more explaination behind Snoke's motivations or backstory we can just have Palpatine deliver it.

It's ugly but that's the best case scenario. I got nothing for poor admiral ackbar tho
Who cares about ackbar? Hes just a meme.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people keep calling Snoke a failed clone when we know for a fact that he's from the outer rim and was actually trying to contact Palpatine? Or the fact that.....Snoke is literally not human, he's an alien.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also think they might show him off more in the next trailer. If he is the villain of the movie, more than just a background cameo, then they'd want to tease it now and sell the movie based on his role as the antagonist later.

Of course his role could be minor. But this is how you'd dip your toe into the marketing if he weren't....
Likewise if he isn't shown in the next trailer, I will then be 100% convinced he'll be no more than a brief cameo, or a voice recording at worst.

konka

Oct 25, 2017

Millions of people have probably tweeted what they thought Episode 7 was going to be called. Millions were wrong. This guy guessed Rise of Skywalker because following the Return of the Jedi it's not that outlandish of a title. The Emperor somehow surviving for a hypothetical Episode 7 wouldn't have been that outlandish. He doesn't know anything, it was a guess for an Episode 7 (which this isn't) that only stands out now because it happens to be the title of Episode 9 and maybe the Emperor is alive (or maybe he is a ghost, or maybe there are flashback scenes of him).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Every title so far in the trilogy refer to Rey in some way. TROS will too.

3549com9s2311.gif

I agree, but...

giphy.gif

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad he's back. I know Vader is more visually iconic, but Palpatine is just such an incredible bad guy. Vader is cold and ruthless but Palps is even more ruthless and loves every second of it. That's one Big Bad that really enjoys his job of manipulating, murdering and conquering and he's so good at it!

He made the Jedi, the Republic, the Separatists and even his own minions look stupid as they were playing a game against him they could never win because they had no idea it had even started. And he won! He actually won. Luke and Anakin may have been able to defeat him eventually, but like every good bad guy it seems like killing him once just isn't enough.

Snoke had potential but he's dead now so bringing Palpatine back instead works. Rian Johnson's really stupid plot decisions may actually pay off in the end after all. Abrams just might actually make it work.
I'd also like to add that the Palpatine we got at the end of Revenge of the SIth wasn't nearly enough. I've seen what he can do in The Clone Wars and I would love nothing more than to see that in film.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like to add that the Palpatine we got at the end of Revenge of the SIth wasn't nearly enough. I've seen what he can do in The Clone Wars and I would love nothing more than to see that in film.

Oh yeah, various comics also showed that he's incredibly powerful and I'd say the CGI capabilities have improved enough that it would look pretty fantastic now.

Could you imagine something like this?

1640325-force_lightning_1.jpg

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Could this desert be Jeddah from Rogue One?
It's a good question becauseJedha is, you know, historically the place where you'd go to get new lightsaber crystals *wink wink* and the scenes for IX were filmed where Jedha was filmed (and not where Tatooine or Jakku were filmed), but the comics portrayed Jedha as an environmentally ravaged place after the Death Star so it's ultimately highly unlikely.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good question becauseJedha is, you know, historically the place where you'd go to get new lightsaber crystals *wink wink* and the scenes for IX were filmed where Jedha was filmed (and not where Tatooine or Jakku were filmed), but the comics portrayed Jedha as an environmentally ravaged place after the Death Star so it's ultimately highly unlikely.

Maybe they'll travel to our galaxy, borrow the Time Gem off Thanos, go back half a century and grab some khyber crystals.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, various comics also showed that he's incredibly powerful and I'd say the CGI capabilities have improved enough that it would look pretty fantastic now.

Could you imagine something like this?

1640325-force_lightning_1.jpg

Meh, the power levels demonstrated on film by Jedi were always far, far less impressive than what was in the comics, games and book even when they had the tech (like in 2 & 3).

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These guys have really dropped off..like what a waste of time that was to create.
I can see what they're trying to say though, in that Palpatine coming back does kind of cripple the finality of death in the series itself. It's like when Superman died and came back, and death ceased to have nearly as much consequence in comic books from then on.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I can see what they're trying to say though, in that Palpatine coming back does kind of cripple the finality of death in the series itself. It's like when Superman died and came back, and death ceased to have nearly as much consequence in comic books from then on.

But we don't know if Palpatine comes back to life. All we know is Ian Mcdiarmid is coming back to reprise the role. It could be one of those android emperor stand-ins, a force ghost, who knows?

Also, I'm not sure Luke saying "No one is ever really gone" is meant to be taken literally. It could mean that the people and experiences you have stay with you all your life, even if they die/go away. But, again, we don't know the context of that line.

Star Wars trailers, especially recent ones, have been very deceiving when it comes to plot/theme.

We'll have to wait and see, but RLM's reaction seems a bit... premature.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, the power levels demonstrated on film by Jedi were always far, far less impressive than what was in the comics, games and book even when they had the tech (like in 2 & 3).

Yeah, that's true. I guess it's possible that'll change now that the movies are embracing the more impressive examples of Force strength. Wouldn't have seen what Yoda did in The Last Jedi fifteen years ago.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But we don't know if Palpatine comes back to life. All we know is Ian Mcdiarmid is coming back to reprise the role. It could be one of those android emperor stand-ins, a force ghost, who knows?

Also, I'm not sure Luke saying "No one is ever really gone" is meant to be taken literally. It could mean that the people and experiences you have stay with you all your life, even if they die/go away. But, again, we don't know the context of that line.

Star Wars trailers, especially recent ones, have been very deceiving when it comes to plot/theme.

We'll have to wait and see, but RLM's reaction seems a bit... premature.
Yeah, that's fair, though if I were a betting man, all the context leads me to believe Palpatine will have a physical presence. As for RLM, they're most famous for being the Star Wars critics above anything else, so of course their fans will eat up something like this.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Really a shame they didn't plan an overall arc for this trilogy. Poor JJ trying to patch this leaking boat.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Really a shame they didn't plan an overall arc for this trilogy. Poor JJ trying to patch this leaking boat.

It seems like ending the story with Palpatine returning in some form has been intended from the beginning if a recent Kathleen Kennedy interview is to be believed. And Lucasfilm seems to have had some sense of what they wanted because they fired Colin Trevorrow for having creative differences with them (which was the right call; Trevorrow is a terrible writer).

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if Palpatine is just a Force Ghost on the Death Star wreckage and is like "lol you'll never defeat Kylo Ren he is too dreamy" or something I dunno. This whole thing is probably just a big misdirection like the Force Awakens trailers where we thought Finn was going to be the new Jedi.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the idea brought up of Force ghost Luke and Palpatine being the angel and devil on Kylo Ren's shoulder.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Luke wasn't dead, he could have been that in real life, they could have made a whole movie about Luke trying to bring Kylo back. But nooooooooooooooo, fkn RJ.

Honestly, when Snoke died any purpose in the movie that Luke might have had to directly affect events in the trilogy kinda went out the window. Bringing Ben to his senses is the sort of thing that would fall to Rey.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Yea, let's make a whole other movie about Luke doing the same fkn thing he did in ROTJ but this time with his nephew instead of his father. Riveting stuff.

Let's make a movie about nothing instead. Riveting stuff :p

The situation at the beginning of TLJ is exactly the same at the end.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I had a thought earlier too. It's a wishful thought, however. I want to see a new lightsaber. And, well, Rogue One informed us that the Death Star weapon uses the same crystals as lightsabers. Might Rey craft a new lightsaber with a crystal from Death Star II?
The friend of mine who showed me that spaceship pic I shared a few pages back has been going on and on about how the only wish he has for Episode IX is for Rey to build her own lightsaber haha

I think that would basically be the final act for her to establish herself apart from the Skywalkers

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
We have no idea of Palpatine is actually coming back to life or if he just has something to do with the story. There is no finality to death in Star Wars. We've known that since Obi-Wan.