• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yea, let's make a whole other movie about Luke doing the same fkn thing he did in ROTJ but this time with his nephew instead of his father. Riveting stuff.
RZQl6qc.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There is a curious lack of Kylo in this preview which kinda makes me think they're downplaying his role for some reason lol
The tone Luke has doesn't make sense for him to be talking to Kylo, and "we've passed down everything we know" "a thousand generations live in you now" make no sense in that context

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I can see what they're trying to say though, in that Palpatine coming back does kind of cripple the finality of death in the series itself. It's like when Superman died and came back, and death ceased to have nearly as much consequence in comic books from then on.
That's such a bizarre take to have about a series that owes so much to Buddhism.

If the Jedi seek to attain enlightenment and become one with the Force, it makes perfect sense that the Sith do everything they can to cheat death.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really want to make a thread about this (Star Wars discourse, especially when concerning TLJ, is just awful right now), but let's try this:

Movie Critic Bob Chipman (Moviebob) makes some good points here:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/15/rise-of-sigh-walker/

There's been talk on this site and elsewhere about how much JJ Abrams is retconning/changing from TLJ as a way to "fix" the Star Ward franchise, even though we know TLJ:

-made over a billion at the box office
-racked up some of the most positive reviews in the history of the franchise
-was the best selling blu-ray of 2018
-led to Rian Johnson being given an entire new Star Wars trilogy to write

We also know JJ made changes to TFA based on communicarion with Rian Johnson while making TLJ script and said that he wish he wrote TLJ script.

It's made some of the discussion around The Rise of Skywalker just kinda ridiculous at this point.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I have a theory about the title. It's just a fun dumb theory, but it makes more sense to me than anything else I've seen.

There have been rumors that Kylo and Rey's relationship is expanded upon in this movie. It has also been suggested numerous times by JJ that this movie ties all three trilogies together. Palpatine's return definitely supports this, but I can't help but wonder if his role in the movie is more relevant to the past than the future.

I believe that the fan speculation that Kylo and Rey will have a child will end up being true. I have no idea when, how or what context, but I believe it will be true. People seem pretty split between liking/hating this idea, but I am just saying I see it as very possible.

I believe Palpatine will be the big bad of this movie, and somehow (probably in the third act) he will steal this child. I think that Palpatine will somehow pull this child into the past (possibly Rebels time gate shenanigans), and the child will turn out to be Anakin. If Kylo and Rey were to have a kid, it would totally be an Anakin type (extreme mechanical skills (Rey), emotional instability (Kylo), and hyper force abilities (both).

This is just my totally off the wall prediction, and I am also not saying I think this would be great. It's just a possibility that I see. If executed properly it would effectively tie all three trilogies together. It would in effect make this entire Skywalker saga a gigantic closed loop, and would further solidify Palpatine as an evil piece of shit. And it would make the title make sense as well as it would confirm where the hell Anakin came from/retcon the whole virgin birth thing.

Would be interesting as Rey would become vital to the saga not for whose child she is, but for how she helps set the whole thing in motion.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really want to make a thread about this (Star Wars discourse, especially when concerning TLJ, is just awful right now), but let's try this:

Movie Critic Bob Chipman (Moviebob) makes some good points here:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/15/rise-of-sigh-walker/

There's been talk on this site and elsewhere about how much JJ Abrams is retconning/changing from TLJ as a way to "fix" the Star Ward franchise, even though we know TLJ:

-made over a billion at the box office
-racked up some of the most positive reviews in the history of the franchise
-was the best selling blu-ray of 2018
-led to Rian Johnson being given an entire new Star Wars trilogy to write

We also know JJ made changes to TFA based on communicarion with Rian Johnson while making TLJ script and said that he wish he wrote TLJ script.

It's made some of the discussion around The Rise of Skywalker just kinda ridiculous at this point.

You don't measure the turn(TLJ), you measure what comes next (SOLO).

All of the things you list, while true could have been true for any movie following The Force Awakens. There is so much ambiguity around the title of 9 as well as the "return" of Palpatine that without further information, it's really hard to tell what is being changed. "The Rise of Skywalker" can mean so many different things and it doesn't have to mean Rey's a Skywalker. I think it's a double entendre for both Kylo's Sauske-type redemption and "Skywalker" becoming the replacement noun for Jedi.

The balance of the Jedi teachings with the clarity of Luke's vision. What were known in the old world as Grey Jedi and now Skywalkers.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Rey is a Skywalker but I think she definitely could take the name Skywalker (after Ben dies) to carry on the name, especially since her lack of last name is so conspicuous. "Rise of Skywalker" I don't think refers to a person, but rather an idea or legacy.

As for the palpatine thing...I don't think he's alive but I think we'll get some holo recordings of him or flashbacks...especially if they're going to the Death star wreckage and may find recordings or a holocron or something

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Rey is a Skywalker but I think she definitely could take the name Skywalker (after Ben dies) to carry on the name, especially since her lack of last name is so conspicuous. "Rise of Skywalker" I don't think refers to a person, but rather an idea or legacy.

As for the palpatine thing...I don't think he's alive but I think we'll get some holo recordings of him or flashbacks...especially if they're going to the Death star wreckage and may find recordings or a holocron or something

I think you are right.

It could have a lot to do with the very final scene in TLJ where the kids are talking about Skywalker, and it seems to inspire them.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You don't measure the turn(TLJ), you measure what comes next (SOLO).
Solo bombed but for however much someone hated The Last Jedi, I can't imagine fan backlash had much to do with it. I mean, maybe? Seems hard to quantify against a misguided release date, poor marketing, very public behind-the-scenes drama resulting in a new director being brought in last minute to remake like 70% of the movie, and a concept no one was really jazzed about in the first place. Compared to all that any negativity surrounding TLJ (which also had just dropped on Blu-ray, mind you, so Solo was still competing against that in terms of mindshare and marketing) had to have been a drop in the bucket.

Like for one thing even if you take it for granted that half the people who saw TLJ loved it and half hated it, Solo still did much worse than that.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's...really inconsistent.

The blast depicted in the movie was not nearly large enough to cause that much damage. Later on Scarif got basically the same blast and it ended up being fine as a planet, right?

But I guess this image is canon so that's just the way it is.

Agreed! The series has been really inconsistent with its depictions of spatial explosions

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's...really inconsistent.

The blast depicted in the movie was not nearly large enough to cause that much damage. Later on Scarif got basically the same blast and it ended up being fine as a planet, right?

But I guess this image is canon so that's just the way it is.

The planet started to collapse inward as a result of the explosion. It didn't blow all of that up in one shot.

sam huge

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope JJ lets scenes breathe. Force awakens started off so well, and then just pressed fast forward. That camera sweep in the teaser is a good JJ flex. Honestly I think all these new SW movies would be better with 99% less dialog

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope JJ lets scenes breathe. Force awakens started off so well, and then just pressed fast forward. That camera sweep in the teaser is a good JJ flex. Honestly I think all these new SW movies would be better with 99% less dialog

Yeah, I agree re: TFA. Worked best early on, and then started feeling increasingly rushed.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
There is a pathway to seeing the title as referring to Anakin. J.J. has mentioned, several times, that he sees this movie as concluding not just the sequel trilogy but all 9 films. Well, what Skywalker has had the biggest presence over those 9 films? And would be in a position where he or she could "rise?" That would be Anakin. Episode VIII is literally the only movie not to mention or feature him. He has a direct connection to not only the Emperor, but also to Kylo Ren. And his whole deal was that he was going to "bring balance to the Force." Well, it ain't in balance, so maybe he has some unfinished business. Heck, he's even closely tied to the color blue, like in the title card, as that was the color of his lightsaber blade through two movies and a TV series.

Okay, yes, this might be a stretch, but I just really want him to show up in Episode IX. Just give me this J.J.

P.S. If galactic hero Nien Nunb isn't in this, I'm rioting.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, this. Rey's intro is one of the best segments of the SW franchise.. so much being said with no words. Just brilliant visual storytelling.

That was one of my biggest criticisms of TFA, that there was very little breathing room what shit starts ramping up. I hope he looked at TLJ and realized that the finale needs to be a slower paced film with a heavy focus on characterization. A mix between TFA and TLJ could work wonders IMO.

I don't think it's going to be quite the breakneck pace of EP7 personally.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
There is a pathway to seeing the title as referring to Anakin. J.J. has mentioned, several times, that he sees this movie as concluding not just the sequel trilogy but all 9 films. Well, what Skywalker has had the biggest presence over those 9 films? And would be in a position where he or she could "rise?" That would be Anakin. Episode VIII is literally the only movie not to mention or feature him. He has a direct connection to not only the Emperor, but also to Kylo Ren. And his whole deal was that he was going to "bring balance to the Force." Well, it ain't in balance, so maybe he has some unfinished business. Heck, he's even closely tied to the color blue, like in the title card, as that was the color of his lightsaber blade through two movies and a TV series.

Okay, yes, this might be a stretch, but I just really want him to show up in Episode IX. Just give me this J.J.

P.S. If galactic hero Nien Nunb isn't in this, I'm rioting.
All three trilogies plot the "rise" of a Skywalker, in a sense. The rise of Anakin (into Vader). The rise of Luke Skywalker (into the Jedi). The rise of Kylo Ren (into the Supreme Leader). All three with massive galactic implications.

Palpatine pulled Anakin's strings to destroy the Jedi and presumably disrupt the balance of the force in a more permanent way. All it takes is a simple reveal that Palpatine was still pulling the strings, even in death, to get Kylo to finish the job. Rey isn't a Skywalker, but a new generation to steer the galaxy away from this cycle of rising Skywalkers.

But both Luke and Anakin are ghosts with actor's readily available to play those ghosts. I think a couple of generations of Skywalkers to appeal directly to the final one would make for one hell of a scene.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Ian McDiarmid just emphasized that this was a "teaser" and said not to take it too seriously, so I think he might've just let slip his role isn't that substantial. Also said the laugh wasn't new and was taken from some earlier recording.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ian McDiarmid just emphasized that this was a "teaser" and said not to take it too seriously, so I think he might've just let slip his role isn't that substantial. Also said the laugh wasn't new and was taken from some earlier recording.

He also said that only he and Daisy Ridley knew he was even in the movie and that, during the London premiere, the person next to him turned to him in shock and said something like "that was you!".

Which might imply Palpatine is actually only in one scene with Rey, rather than having a significant part.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He also said that only he and Daisy Ridley knew he was even in the movie and that, during the London premiere, the person next to him turned to him in shock and said something like "that was you!".

Which might imply Palpatine is actually only in one scene with Rey, rather than having a significant part.
He was talking about The Phantom Menace, not Episode IX. The London premiere story was about him and Liam Neeson, that Liam Neeson said "that was you!'.