• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Snoke laid out at least parts of the titles of all 3 movies during his first conversation with Kylo and Hux during TFA.

'There has been an awakening.'

'The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance... Leading them to the Last Jedi'.

'If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise.'

Also, I like how the trailer has the same text 'Every generation has a legend' which is how the Episode 1 teaser trailer started.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If they feel like it has to be longer than I could see it being around 2 hours and 40 minutes. I'd totally be game for a 3 hour long Star Wars, though.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
If they feel like it has to be longer than I could see it being around 2 hours and 40 minutes. I'd totally be game for a 3 hour long Star Wars, though.
I would 100% be down for another long Star Wars, but personally I always got the feeling JJ is principled as all heck on this sort of thing. Like, that he would be willing to trim it to within an inch of it's life to keep it moving at a breezy clip and leave you wanting more, even if it's at the expense of keeping everything perfectly neat. It's how all his other films have been, so I can't imagine he'd suddenly take the time to indulge here.

Of course, I kinda hope I am wrong.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope JJ lets scenes breathe. Force awakens started off so well, and then just pressed fast forward. That camera sweep in the teaser is a good JJ flex. Honestly I think all these new SW movies would be better with 99% less dialog

Agreed. It was most apparent during the rathrar sequence which almost immediately segues into landing on Maz Kanata's planet - I wish there had been an extended scene of Han, Rey and Finn just sitting and chatting on the Falcon instead. Like the equivalent scene from ANH.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I was originally jazzed to hear that TLJ was 2 and a half hours long, but I actually think you could shave 20-30 mins off that film and improve the pacing a fair bit. Likewise, I hope TROS' runtime is appropriate to the story they want to tell. Longer isn't always better.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like Snoke laid out at least parts of the titles of all 3 movies during his first conversation with Kylo and Hux during TFA.

'The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance... Leading them to the Last Jedi'.

Also, I like how the trailer has the same text 'Every generation has a legend' which is how the Episode 1 teaser trailer started.
Wonder how much influence Palp had in all this.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I have a theory about the title. It's just a fun dumb theory, but it makes more sense to me than anything else I've seen.

There have been rumors that Kylo and Rey's relationship is expanded upon in this movie. It has also been suggested numerous times by JJ that this movie ties all three trilogies together. Palpatine's return definitely supports this, but I can't help but wonder if his role in the movie is more relevant to the past than the future.

I believe that the fan speculation that Kylo and Rey will have a child will end up being true. I have no idea when, how or what context, but I believe it will be true. People seem pretty split between liking/hating this idea, but I am just saying I see it as very possible.

I believe Palpatine will be the big bad of this movie, and somehow (probably in the third act) he will steal this child. I think that Palpatine will somehow pull this child into the past (possibly Rebels time gate shenanigans), and the child will turn out to be Anakin. If Kylo and Rey were to have a kid, it would totally be an Anakin type (extreme mechanical skills (Rey), emotional instability (Kylo), and hyper force abilities (both).

This is just my totally off the wall prediction, and I am also not saying I think this would be great. It's just a possibility that I see. If executed properly it would effectively tie all three trilogies together. It would in effect make this entire Skywalker saga a gigantic closed loop, and would further solidify Palpatine as an evil piece of shit. And it would make the title make sense as well as it would confirm where the hell Anakin came from/retcon the whole virgin birth thing.

Would be interesting as Rey would become vital to the saga not for whose child she is, but for how she helps set the whole thing in motion.
1*RSuZC5ZglLe7zyVcYcrmBA.jpeg

radian8

Oct 25, 2017
My out there theory is that Kylo is the reincarnation of Anakin and Rey is the reincarnation of Padme.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate all of the theories in here because by nature of the series they're based on, they have to be really stupid to even be plausible.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Megaton

IGNFF: Now, also the story has arisen that George had always intended prequels, but had never intended sequels to that initial three films.

GARYKURTZ: After this idea of more films came up, he did several interviews where he said he had story material to do nine films: three prequels and three sequels. That was the accepted story, basically, and there was quite a bit of material both before and after the Star Wars lump. So there was no decision to do either one... it was kind of a red herring in a way, because there was no immediate thought to make any other films right away. In a sense, through a business point of view, it probably would have been better to do so, like they did with Star Trek, rather than wait all this time, because the audience interest dissipated somewhat. I mean, it didn't seem to affect the box office on Phantom Menace too much, but ...

IGNFF: It didn't exactly leave a good taste in people's mouths, either.

KURTZ: Well, regardless of the value of the film as a film, artistically, there is a kind of energy around some things where if it had come out say three, four years later after Jedi, and then another one three or four years later after that, that kind of cycle would have probably been better for the audience and for the merchandising than what happened. But that's hindsight. At that time, he always said that he had enough material for three earlier films and three later films, to make a total of nine, and there were outlined materials certainly for a later three that culminated with this big clash with the Emperor in Episode IX. So, we'll never see any of those, based on what he's said now.

A 2002 interview - https://ca.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz?page=4

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The reason for this is because Palpatine wasn't supposed to appear until Episode IX originally. George got exhausted by ANH and ESB and decided to just cram all the plot of the remaining movies into RotJ, hence why Leia became his sister (the original sister was a girl named Nellith) and why Palpatine shows up and dies.
I considered that but I don't think that's what he was saying. He says "we'll never see any of those [outlines]" now "based on what he's said now", I assume that being no sequel trilogy. That doesn't sound like because the outline was changed in the early 1980s.

And I wonder if the Emperor's theme in this scene at 1:45 had more purpose than we might have thought.

Oct 25, 2017
And I wonder if the Emperor's theme in this scene at 1:45 had more purpose than we might have thought.

Man what if Snoke was just like a meat puppet for palpatine that he possessed to run shit from a distance or something to avoid any more vader chasm moments
Maybe not word for word micromanagement but still a loose form of mind control or brain washing
And maybe putting that kind of dark side pressure on a guy physically fucks him up over time which is why he looks like acid bath adam scott

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Man what if Snoke was just like a meat puppet for palpatine that he possessed to run shit from a distance or something to avoid any more vader chasm moments
Maybe not word for word micromanagement but still a loose form of mind control or brain washing
And maybe putting that kind of dark side pressure on a guy physically fucks him up over time which is why he looks like acid bath adam scott
Or maybe Snoke was literally a corpse.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What if Snoke was a failed clone?

Something I have been thinking about as well. A failed broken clone that was held together by dark energies of the Force. But with a memory wipe - Palpatine would never let a broken version of himself walking around like that.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I have a theory about the title. It's just a fun dumb theory, but it makes more sense to me than anything else I've seen.

There have been rumors that Kylo and Rey's relationship is expanded upon in this movie. It has also been suggested numerous times by JJ that this movie ties all three trilogies together. Palpatine's return definitely supports this, but I can't help but wonder if his role in the movie is more relevant to the past than the future.

I believe that the fan speculation that Kylo and Rey will have a child will end up being true. I have no idea when, how or what context, but I believe it will be true. People seem pretty split between liking/hating this idea, but I am just saying I see it as very possible.

I believe Palpatine will be the big bad of this movie, and somehow (probably in the third act) he will steal this child. I think that Palpatine will somehow pull this child into the past (possibly Rebels time gate shenanigans), and the child will turn out to be Anakin. If Kylo and Rey were to have a kid, it would totally be an Anakin type (extreme mechanical skills (Rey), emotional instability (Kylo), and hyper force abilities (both).

This is just my totally off the wall prediction, and I am also not saying I think this would be great. It's just a possibility that I see. If executed properly it would effectively tie all three trilogies together. It would in effect make this entire Skywalker saga a gigantic closed loop, and would further solidify Palpatine as an evil piece of shit. And it would make the title make sense as well as it would confirm where the hell Anakin came from/retcon the whole virgin birth thing.

Would be interesting as Rey would become vital to the saga not for whose child she is, but for how she helps set the whole thing in motion.

Rey is Shmi confirmed.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Having the same main evil for 9 movies would make the Star Wars universe so damn small.
To be fair, that same main evil took over the entire galaxy with the help of a "Skywalker" in the spawn of 6 (9?) movies.
In hindsight, this saga is pretty much about Palatine's rise to power. And if we go even deeper, he is the progenitor of the entire Skywalker family line o_O

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017

It was that conversation that made me expect this film to be titled 'The New Jedi' in the title guessing thread 😭

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
If we are going to reference George Lucas' previous plans and how they might influence Ep 9, remember that Lucas' original idea for the sequel trilogy was for all the movies to take place in a microscopic world where midichlorians were actually tiny people who somehow determined the fate of the Star Wars Galaxy or something like that.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. It makes Paladine big.

Not really, since the real threats against him are mostly a handful of people at any given time.

Also having Palpatine existing all this time makes Luke quite ridiculous (at very least for not sensing there's something dark out there). Makes Darth Vader sacrifice useless. Makes Han Solo sacrifice useless. Makes a lot of things really questionable from RotJ, TFA and TLJ.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
I really like the Snoke being a failed clone of Palpatine idea.

I mean we did see Snoke use force lightning in TLJ.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having the same main evil for 9 movies would make the Star Wars universe so damn small.

The movies already focus on a single family.

man...this is gonna be like the spider-man clone saga, isn't it?

Everyone's a clone right now.

You just reminded me of my favorite fan theory pre-AotC, where it turns out that "Darth Vader" is in fact a clone of Anakin who turns bad and kills him, thus making both Vader's and Obi-wan's statements in the OT true: Vader is Luke's father AND he killed Luke's father...