• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Man what if Snoke was just like a meat puppet for palpatine that he possessed to run shit from a distance or something to avoid any more vader chasm moments
Maybe not word for word micromanagement but still a loose form of mind control or brain washing
And maybe putting that kind of dark side pressure on a guy physically fucks him up over time which is why he looks like acid bath adam scott

The dark side equivalent of living forever being just straight up snatching bodies seems like a thing, the question about snoke being possessed palpatine though begs the question of why Snoke or Kylo Ren never claimed to be Sith.

I'm thinking Snoke is Snoke. And I'm thinking the influence that Palpatine had may actually be zero.

It could actually be pretty simple--with Snoke and Luke dead, Palpatine could see it as safe to execute...whatever his plans might be now. Or he sees an opportunity or something.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The dark side equivalent of living forever being just straight up snatching bodies seems like a thing, the question about snoke being possessed palpatine though begs the question of why Snoke or Kylo Ren never claimed to be Sith.

I'm thinking Snoke is Snoke. And I'm thinking the influence that Palpatine had may actually be zero.

It could actually be pretty simple--with Snoke and Luke dead, Palpatine could see it as safe to execute...whatever his plans might be now. Or he sees an opportunity or something.

Maybe because like Luke and the Jedi, Sheev saw the Sith as failures and wanted to try something new.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense that that if a Jedi dies he becomes a force ghost that the SIth should have a twisted method of doing the same. I am betting that Snoke was possessed by Palpatine and that is why he was so powerfull yet his body so twisted (like what happens to Palpatine when he use to much power in RotS) and would explain why we have not been told Snokes back story.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
If we are going to reference George Lucas' previous plans and how they might influence Ep 9, remember that Lucas' original idea for the sequel trilogy was for all the movies to take place in a microscopic world where midichlorians were actually tiny people who somehow determined the fate of the Star Wars Galaxy or something like that.

George's idea for the sequel trilogy was roughly what we've gotten so far (though he had most of it happening in one movie instead of two). A gear-headed young woman discovers her aptitude for the Force and seeks out the legendary Luke Skywalker, who has fled into exile to the first Jedi temple after a traumatizing event at his Jedi school. She must convince him to train her and come out of hiding. Meanwhile, his nephew, the son of Han Solo and Leia Organa, gets seduced to the dark side. All that stuff was in place or had at least been discussed before George left the project in January 2013. His comments to Jim Cameron about the "microscopic world" were referring to some ideas that would have been mentioned, but would not have dominated the story nor would they have been shown directly.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The only thing lamer than Lando showing up with the same outfit is them being so creatively bereft they bring Palpatine back
Hey, thats better than another 'new' movie with 'new' characters that plays the same, or reverses things, at least they dropped the pretentions and brought the Emperor back, not that lame Snoke

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
If the First Order loses from this position at the end of 8, then they are the most inept and bungling military in the history of the entire universe.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017

Speaking of body swapping and possession, if you were a Sith lord looking for a body to take, wouldn't a young person with the greatest force potential known to that point be a good candidate? Maybe Palpatine was grooming (or even created) Anakin for a reason beyond just killing the Jedi that went to shit after Vader found himself burned beyond repair. Then when it was discovered Vader had a young, powerful son, he found a suitable replacement.

Then after that plan went to shit again, his dark spirit found yet another spirit conveniently conceived on Endor just after his death. Ben Solo has been infected with darkness since the womb. A darkness so dark that Luke Skywalker lost his mind for a moment when he caught a glimpse of it. Kylo has a seemingly irrational need to reject the light.

Snoke was never possessed, but he saw the possession in Kylo.

Am I on to something?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I have a theory about the title. It's just a fun dumb theory, but it makes more sense to me than anything else I've seen.

There have been rumors that Kylo and Rey's relationship is expanded upon in this movie. It has also been suggested numerous times by JJ that this movie ties all three trilogies together. Palpatine's return definitely supports this, but I can't help but wonder if his role in the movie is more relevant to the past than the future.

I believe that the fan speculation that Kylo and Rey will have a child will end up being true. I have no idea when, how or what context, but I believe it will be true. People seem pretty split between liking/hating this idea, but I am just saying I see it as very possible.

I believe Palpatine will be the big bad of this movie, and somehow (probably in the third act) he will steal this child. I think that Palpatine will somehow pull this child into the past (possibly Rebels time gate shenanigans), and the child will turn out to be Anakin. If Kylo and Rey were to have a kid, it would totally be an Anakin type (extreme mechanical skills (Rey), emotional instability (Kylo), and hyper force abilities (both).

This is just my totally off the wall prediction, and I am also not saying I think this would be great. It's just a possibility that I see. If executed properly it would effectively tie all three trilogies together. It would in effect make this entire Skywalker saga a gigantic closed loop, and would further solidify Palpatine as an evil piece of shit. And it would make the title make sense as well as it would confirm where the hell Anakin came from/retcon the whole virgin birth thing.

Would be interesting as Rey would become vital to the saga not for whose child she is, but for how she helps set the whole thing in motion.

As thoroughly dumb as this idea is, I'm surprisingly okay with it... except for the biggest, most essential part, which is that Rey and Kylo have a baby. Fuck that.

Oct 25, 2017

I can't fault your logic and you make good points but that outcome seems pretty boring.
Or maybe Snoke was literally a corpse.
Now this is the kinda of weird shit I'm looking for

Whatever it is I just want it to be weird and I want it to reveal that he's been the puppetmaster for the last two movies and we didn't realize it

Speaking of body swapping and possession, if you were a Sith lord looking for a body to take, wouldn't a young person with the greatest force potential known to that point be a good candidate? Maybe Palpatine was grooming (or even created) Anakin for a reason beyond just killing the Jedi that went to shit after Vader found himself burned beyond repair. Then when it was discovered Vader had a young, powerful son, he found a suitable replacement.

Then after that plan went to shit again, his dark spirit found yet another spirit conveniently conceived on Endor just after his death. Ben Solo has been infected with darkness since the womb. A darkness so dark that Luke Skywalker lost his mind for a moment when he caught a glimpse of it. Kylo has a seemingly irrational need to reject the light.

Am I on to something?

That is a really cool idea that would tie it all together

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Am I on to something?

I kinda dig this.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This series genuinely has no precedent for body swapping and possession outside of the old EU so it's weird that every theory always comes back to that idea. Like literally the only thing close to possession in this series is Ahsoka getting forcefully turned by a literal personification of the dark side:

and Sabine getting forcefully turned.

coincidentally, that clip of Maul has him screaming to forget the past....

Last edited:

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine pulling the strings for the First Order is kinda already a thing. It was established in the Aftermath book trilogy that released around The Force Awakens that The First Order is the culmination of the Emperor's contingency plan in the event of his death.

If the First Order loses from this position at the end of 8, then they are the most inept and bungling military in the history of the entire universe.

To be fair, they lost a good chunk of their fleet, including their capitol ship; their leader is dead, killed by his own apprentice; and their new leader is a hot headed fool who immediately butted heads with his second in command. The Resistance may have been in a terrible place at the end of The Last Jedi, but the First Order wasn't in a great one either.

Newly uploaded behind the scenes reel:

I saw this last night and...is that a Blockade Runner landed on a forest planet?

deFXFEr.png

We've already seen the Millennium Falcon and our heroes on the same type of planet.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Palpatine pulling the strings for the First Order is kinda already a thing. It was established in the Aftermath book trilogy that released around The Force Awakens that The First Order is the culmination of the Emperor's contingency plan in the event of his death.

To be fair, they lost a good chunk of their fleet, including their capitol ship; their leader is dead, killed by his own apprentice; and their new leader is a hot headed fool who immediately butted heads with his second in command. The Resistance may have been in a terrible place at the end of The Last Jedi, but the First Order wasn't in a great one either.

I saw this last night and...is that a Blockade Runner landed on a forest planet?

deFXFEr.png

We've already seen the Millennium Falcon and our heroes on the same type of planet.
Definitely a blockade runner, could be the Tantive IV itself.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
This series genuinely has no precedent for body swapping and possession outside of the old EU so it's weird that every theory always comes back to that idea. Like literally the only thing close to possession in this series is Ahsoka getting forcefully turned by a literal personification of the dark side:

It's a little weird you say there is "genuinely no precedent" for possession, and then provide at least one concrete example. The title of the video is "Nightsister's possession". Obviously the circumstances are not quite the same as what is being discussed, but that is precedent for possessing bodies nonetheless. I mean Ezra straight up ghostbusts Sabine.

I think the reason it comes back is because it was an explicit plot point in the EU with Palpatine, as well as the fact that "dark wizards" possessing bodies to live forever is a well-worn trope, but obviously that doesn't count as precedent, only why fans might immediately go there mentally. Immortality is a recurring thing canonically, though, and it's suggested that it was a goal of Palpatine's master (and possibly Palpatine) and possibly achieved: "to cheat death is a power only one has achieved". The good guys achieve immortality through the force, but the bad guys can't, so it would make sense they would try to cling on it through other, more physical, means. Palpatine's speeches about cheating death are presented hand in hand (or just specifically relating to) creating life. So it isn't a huge leap on the theorization front.

However, because that is so typical, I have trouble seeing them actually go with that. Like, when you think dark wizards coming back, people these days will almost immediately think Voldemort. I don't think they want to just make space Voldemort, so I'm with you on it probably not being a likely theory. I mean could you imagine if Palpatine's spirit inhabited Sith artifacts and that was a pathway to return? Come on guys, though Star Wars isn't exactly original on that front.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Did one of these behind the scenes already mention the last time we see C3PO?

Something about him standing there and the last shot of him being one with no dialogue?

So do they mean this is the end of the Skywalker Saga or the last main movie in the core series?

Are more planned with Rey, Finn, Poe, Chewie, the droids, etc??

If this is the end for all these characters I would really love for the series to end on the 2 droids that helped get this all started, though I doubt it'll happen. One of George Lucas' original inspirations for the movies was this old Japanese movie where 2 guys get caught in this big thing around them and kinda fumble their way through. ANH begins with this more or less as R2 and 3PO are thrown into this adventure. I am very happy C3PO is getting one last adventure, and will be thrown directly into the mix (as seen with that one shot where he's in the middle of this chase). It would pull at my heartstrings for them to go all out with this, but it seems R2 isn't in this trailer at all and doesn't seem involved in the core story of the movie. They've already said the heroes will all be sticking together but I see no R2 yet. I wonder what R2 is up to. He will obviously make an appearance but I wonder what his role will be, considering Luke is now dead.

Ps. I kinda expect and welcome a bunch of ghost shit in this movie. They can really go all out with it.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017

deFXFEr.png

Yep, and it also seems like the planet where we see Rey and Leia hug, with the warm sun peeking through the trees. That seems like a fitting ship for Leia to hop aboard and fly off into the sunset in after saying farewell, don't you think *hint hint*

Oct 25, 2017

Does the series have to have a precedent for body swapping or possession already or can we just have new things sometimes
it might be fun

and you might have defeated your own post there with those examples

Last edited:

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I don't think they should be romantically involved, but their chemistry (whatever you want to call it) is one of my favorite things about TLJ. So I would like for them to somehow interact outside their seemingly inevitable showdown.
Oh I agree completely, it's a very interesting dynamic and it adds so much to the movies... It just shouldn't result in a classic romantic relationship, which seems to be what many people want.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've read maybe a few dozen posts in this 4500+ post thread, so maybe this has been talked about many times, but my first thought when I watched the trailer and heard that Palpatine would return would be that he would act as the dark side force ghost assisting Kylo while Luke would be the light side force ghost assisting Rey. I never thought that he would be revealed to be alive and behind it all the whole time.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
As good as their chemistry is, Kylo has committed too many acts of onscreen villainy for me to find a Rey/Kylo pairing palatable. Between razing the Jakku village, going on a murder spree with the Knights of Ren and stabbing Han Solo, he has been a very naughty boy. I will begrudgingly accept a redemption arc if he dies helping to save the day and his reputation isn't publicly rehabilitated, but Rey deserves better.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
Wondering if the Knights of Ren will play a role somehow. I think it is possible that they could be some of Luke's old students who went dark after Kylo burned the temple and according to Luke... Kylo vanished with a 'handful of his students and slaughtered the rest'. If it is too late to turn Kylo back from the dark side, maybe it isn't too late to turn at least 3 of Luke's former students and train them... and give them all the last name of Skywalker. People can choose any name to call themselves. That's what Kylo did since he doesn't go by his birth name of Ben Solo. The Knights of Ren vs the Knights of Skywalker.

Also, after my last rewatch of TLJ, I noticed Luke promised to give Rey three lessons but stopped at two before telling her to leave and getting a visit from Yoda to not give up on her. I wonder what his final lesson will be.. maybe failure like Yoda was talking about. She failed to see how Kylo can't be turned back.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's a little weird you say there is "genuinely no precedent" for possession, and then provide at least one concrete example. The title of the video is "Nightsister's possession". Obviously the circumstances are not quite the same as what is being discussed, but that is precedent for possessing bodies nonetheless. I mean Ezra straight up ghostbusts Sabine.

I think the reason it comes back is because it was an explicit plot point in the EU with Palpatine, as well as the fact that "dark wizards" possessing bodies to live forever is a well-worn trope, but obviously that doesn't count as precedent, only why fans might immediately go there mentally. Immortality is a recurring thing canonically, though, and it's suggested that it was a goal of Palpatine's master (and possibly Palpatine) and possibly achieved: "to cheat death is a power only one has achieved". The good guys achieve immortality through the force, but the bad guys can't, so it would make sense they would try to cling on it through other, more physical, means. Palpatine's speeches about cheating death are presented hand in hand (or just specifically relating to) creating life. So it isn't a huge leap on the theorization front.

However, because that is so typical, I have trouble seeing them actually go with that. Like, when you think dark wizards coming back, people these days will almost immediately think Voldemort. I don't think they want to just make space Voldemort, so I'm with you on it probably not being a likely theory. I mean could you imagine if Palpatine's spirit inhabited Sith artifacts and that was a pathway to return? Come on guys, though Star Wars isn't exactly original on that front.
I'm absolutely betting on the sith artifact/death star haunting scenario.

Do the normal people in the Galaxy even know that Kylo Ren is Ben Solo the son of Leia Organa?
Most likely not. Only the people closest to him. It's literally forbidden to mention the name Ben Solo in the first order. The jedi order is so deified because they've been wiped out for essentially 50 years. Palpatine made sure to desecrate and destroy as many records of the jedi as possible on top of his propaganda campaign against them. Then when Luke went to restore the order, he made sure it was hidden and completely separated from the galaxy's politics. So all of the stuff about the jedi is mostly hearsay and legends mostly focused around Luke Skywalker's accomplishments.

Last edited: