• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Luke actually only took Ben under his wing when he was already in his twenties, an adult. Dude has literally no bloody excuse for any of his behaviour. "My parents didn't love me enough" sure as hell ain't enough reason to kill your own father.

In comparison, Sasuke is quite justified. Konoha took everything from him, his parents, his brother, his friends, his home... He lost it all. How could he not resent them and wish to destroy them?
Sasuke is terribly executed though. They really fumbled every aspect of his character. Maybe it's kind of the inverse with Ben: He's not the most justified, but his actual actions during the story, his interactions with others, and his overall character arc are done well. (So far)

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Daisy

Reylo is some kind of alt-t#right garbage fantasy

Rey is NOT going to fall for the man who killed Han Solo and is a nazi douchebag. Please people.

The whole idea is a bit sickening

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people completely missed what was going on in TLJ. It was never about romance. The connection between Rey and Kylo wasn't about that. It was about two people with extremely unique experiences that they shared with only one person on earth - each other. The tension wasn't sexual but rather as to whether or not the the person could seduce the other person to their side/mindset/values, and not into bed.

And it was the best thing about TLJ.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people completely missed what was going on in TLJ. It was never about romance. The connection between Rey and Kylo wasn't about that. It was about two people with extremely unique experiences that they shared with only one person on earth - each other. The tension wasn't sexual but rather as to whether or not the the person could seduce the other person to their side/mindset/values, and not into bed.

This would be an excellent opportunity for Is This a Pigeon to make an appearance.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
JJ Abrams quote about Rey being ordinary...

"I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that's one of the things that's been out there. I don't want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn't happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there's more to the story than you've seen."

I'm assuming that means that he's going to rewrite Johnson's plot point of her being ordinary to make her 'special' somehow. Shame to me if that's the case as one of the best bits of the TLJ was that the character had to learn to stand on her own and not hope that there were some great answers out there for her.

Oct 28, 2017

This is my preferred reading of their relationship, too; however, there was some romantic/sexual tension happening between them in that scene in the elevator. Plus, Rian ended up cutting a scene where Luke tells Rey, "You opened yourself up to the Dark Side for a pair of pretty eyes."

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
How about she doesn't get a love interest because that's tacky? Not every single character needs a love interest.
Case in point

luke-skywalker-i-am-a-jedi_fce1d84d.jpeg

Granted, they tried to hint at a love triangle between him, Leia and Han, but we all know how that goes.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
They were droids designed to guard Imperial facilities but after the Emperor's death they were used to deliver his orders posthumously, namely for the Imperial remnant to head for the Unknown Regions and regroup. They first appeared in the Shattered Empire comic, and then the Aftermath books and Battlefront II.
star-wars-shattered-empire-2-b.png

Wait wait wait, how does this work? Is there some Palpatine AI running to determine new orders or something? Where are these orders coming from? Pre-recorded?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

I'm assuming that means that he's going to rewrite Johnson's plot point of her being ordinary to make her 'special' somehow. Shame to me if that's the case as one of the best bits of the TLJ was that the character had to learn to stand on her own and not hope that there were some great answers out there for her.

It could also mean her actually getting to meet her parents, and an exploration of how it affects her motivations from there. Because admittedly there's not quite the same underlying, personal stake for Rey going into this one that there was for Luke back in RoTJ. Stopping Kylo is, at all fundamental levels, about stopping Kylo. Luke in Return of the Jedi had to deal with the confrontation - both personal and physical - of the fact that the second-in-command of the empire was his own father.

...Mind you, I realise that's not really mutually exclusive with the 'turns out they're special' idea.

Wait wait wait, how does this work? Is there some Palpatine AI running to determine new orders or something? Where are these orders coming from? Pre-recorded?

Pre-recorded. Basically, Palpatine wanted the galaxy to burn if it should outlive him.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is my preferred reading of their relationship, too; however, there was some romantic/sexual tension happening between them in that scene in the elevator. Plus, Rian ended up cutting a scene where Luke tells Rey, "You opened yourself up to the Dark Side for a pair of pretty eyes."
Doesn't cutting that scene mean he wanted to minimize the idea of a sexual attraction being a part of that relationship though?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't cutting that scene mean he wanted to minimize the idea of a sexual attraction being a part of that relationship though?
It does but I think that there's a bit there. It's not straight up romantic, he's not in love with her and i turn she's not in love with him but they have a connection that's amplified because they've literally been inside each other's minds so they can feel what makes the other tick and their deep insecurities.

There's no way ROS will play it completely romantic but there will always be a little bit of it in there.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017

Rey is special, but the point is she isn't special because of who her parents were. I'm with you that this is one of the best parts of VIII, and I think everything JJ did in TFA and has said about the character has aligned with this view for example:

JJ Abrams said:
And so, I really feel like the assumption that any character needs to have inherited a certain number of midi-chlorians or needs to be part of a bloodline, it's not that I don't believe that as part of the canon, I'm just saying that at 11 years old, that wasn't where my heart was. And so I respect and adhere to the canon but I also say that the Force has always seemed to me to be more inclusive and stronger than that.

When he talks about honoring VIII, I don't take that to mean he is going to rewrite this point, just expand on it in a narratively satisfying way. It could mean Rey making peace with them, maybe she learns they weren't terrible and had a reason for leaving her (but they were still just junk traders), or maybe JJ does go nuts with it. I don't think it's a given based on his comments though.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care but people wanting Rey to be a "nobody" always had me baffled. She was never just a regular everyday person, you don't need to be a descendant of the main characters to already be very unique and special, she's the natural born super force user and fighter, it doesn't get any more special than that. Her name or heritage doesn't really change much from that fact, it really doesn't matter if she is "the chosen one" or not. If people want a regular non superhuman as the hero then they are barking up the wrong tree, Finn and Poe are the Joe Shmoe's in these movies.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* I couldn't help myself and added even more to my depressingly huge breakdown. But if you've already read it, I'll spare you the hunting and cut straight to the big ticket addition: Lucasfilm Story Group member Pablo Hidalgo answered some questions on Twitter over the weekend. And his answers may have been illuminating (or not, we won't know for sure until December).

If by Force ghost you mean the fuzzy blue glowies that crash an occasional Ewok party, then yes, that is not an ability known or possible to the Sith. And that's a rule that stems back to Ep IV and dialog cut from there, which shows up in a few other places.

You should look up the Lord Momin storyline in the Vader comic.

For the curious, here's the Wookiepedia page for Lord Momin. Long story short, he was a Sith who lost his physical body while attempting something crazy with the Force. I say "lost his physical body" because his consciousness transferred into his mask. While trapped in the mask, he was capable of communicating with people. Including Darth Sidious, who took possession of the mask for a while.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope it's not so underwhelming but I wonder if it's possible if Sidious attached himself to Vader's mask somehow. A lot of that blue energy was on it and it now shows the dark side to Kylo Ren.

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13841.jpg

5625baf8dd0895bd698b471b-750-307.png

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the curious, here's the Wookiepedia page for Lord Momin. Long story short, he was a Sith who lost his physical body while attempting something crazy with the Force. I say "lost his physical body" because his consciousness transferred into his mask. While trapped in the mask, he was capable of communicating with people. Including Darth Sidious, who took possession of the mask for a while.
Now I want to see that played by Jim Carrey.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope it's not so underwhelming but I wonder if it's possible if Sidious attached himself to Vader's mask somehow. A lot of that blue energy was on it and it now shows the dark side to Kylo Ren.

This would be really clever. I had assumed Snoke was playing mind games with Ben and making him think Vader was talking to him, but if Sheev is imprinted on Vader's helmet then he can still be pulling strings.

Of course, this would also mean he was stuck in a firepit on Endor for two and a half decades which is pretty funny.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This would be really clever. I had assumed Snoke was playing mind games with Ben and making him think Vader was talking to him, but if Sheev is imprinted on Vader's helmet then he can still be pulling strings.
I'd like to see the Emperor actually back and alive, but yeah this would actually work out because it didn't make any sense that Anakin's ghost would be showing Kylo Ren the dark side. Some people thought it must be Snoke.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Wasnt the force choosing her to counter Kylo Ren in TLJ? I don't really feel like they made her not special.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
"It's time to let old things die. The Sith, the Jedi, all of it."

Interesting choice of words in TLJ when neither Kylo nor Snoke were Sith.

Edit:

To add to this, light spoilers from footage shown to Disney shareholders:

Apparently Kylo still has Vader's mask in IX.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

This would be pretty interesting, and I hope it is somehow tied into what kylo is talking about in TFA since obviously Anakin wasn't chatting with him about being evil and stuff.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I wonder if we will get some answer to what Palpatine was up to in the unknown regions?

There was a throwaway line in one of the books that referred to him sensing something out there, perhaps the 'source' of the darkside.

He had various observatories and distant laboratories set up too.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we will get some answer to what Palpatine was up to in the unknown regions?

There was a throwaway line in one of the books that referred to him sensing something out there, perhaps the 'source' of the darkside.

He had various observatories and distant laboratories set up too.

I always assumed this referred to Snoke, a being in the unknown regions tapped into the dark side.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Rey is obviously "special" in that she was born with legendary powers that bested a powerful Sith apprentice. That doesn't mean she has to come from a certain bloodline or that everything needs to be connected. I hate how small the new main SW canon feels compared to the old EU. The cool thing about SW was always how the galaxy was vast and that there was so much cool shit going down.

I still think that The Old Republic setting and games feel more like Star Wars than most of the films.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rey is obviously "special" in that she was born with legendary powers that bested a powerful Sith apprentice. That doesn't mean she has to come from a certain bloodline or that everything needs to be connected. I hate how small the new main SW canon feels compared to the old EU. The cool thing about SW was always how the galaxy was vast and that there was so much cool shit going down.

I still think that The Old Republic setting and games feel more like Star Wars than most of the films.

It's one of the reasons why I like The Clone Wars so much. It expands the galaxy in huge ways and some of the best arcs don't even have Anakin, Obi-Wan or Ahsoka in them. Rebels was much the same way in that, outside of the focus on Ahsoka and Vader in the second season, it had very little to do with those established characters - it established its own.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
This is a simple and interesting take that would carry through from TFA. Really not a whole lot of exposition to explain how, though it would be a little bit too much "wait what". It is worth noting that the entire Vader apparatus and visual identity, most notably the mask, was all from Sidious and representative of his identity as the Emperor's tool.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Lord Moomin, you say?
darth_moomin_by_tatjuska-db6h9bq.jpg

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think Palpatine is coming back in Pog form. I just think he's going to manifest as some kind of dark energy/spirit. To Rey or Kylo, I don't know. Could be both. An actual, physical rebirth of Palpatine though? I don't think so.

I also think Star Wars Episode IX is the perfect place to "end" the Skywalker saga in the traditional sense of fathers and sons and daughters and grandchildren. I have no doubt that Rey is going to adopt the last name Skywalker by the end of the movie. But I also think that The Rise of Skywalker is alluding heavily to a new Jedi Order, birthed by Rey, inspired by the legacy of the Skywalkers. All of them. From Anakin to Ben.

Now, from a non-story standpoint, and thinking about it purely as a business decision, moving away from Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest makes perfect sense. These actors and actresses aren't going to live forever. Eventually they pass on, or retire, or what have you. Consider this as well; growing up, so many of us wanted to be a Skywalker. We wanted to weld the lightsaber and the Force and save the day and be the hero. Cleverly, if the Skywalker Order becomes a real thing, then kids all over the world can be Skywalkers. Anyone can become a Skywalker. It opens Star Wars up to so many people, from all walks of life, and they can all claim to be Skywalkers without pedantic gatekeepers whining about what a "true" Skywalker is.

Back to the fictional world; The Skywalker legacy will live on through this new Force using order. An Order more than likely about balancing the light and dark sides of the Force within each member. No attempting to live a pious and perfect existence like the Jedi, or a selfish and manipulative existence like the Sith. Both the Jedi and Sith were flawed because they tried to exist on the extreme ends of the seesaw, never once meeting in the middle. Luke and Leia and the other Skywalkers won't last forever, but they're also too humble and modest to name a Jedi order after themselves. Having an unrelated by blood 3rd party like Rey establish the Order of Skywalkers is a great way to continue the Skywalker legacy (their dna will always be a part of Star Wars from this point forward), without isolating and alienating other powerful Force users who don't have the blood ties to the family. TLJ goes out of its way to show that you can be powerful in the Force because you're powerful in the Force. Not because your family is "special stock."

Making her a nobody is one of the best things to happen to this franchise. The Extended Universe, while full of some cool stuff, was mostly relegated to die hard fans obsessed with the Star Wars universe (I'm one of them, don't worry), but by having a main character in the "main" saga of films reinforce the notion that it's not special blood that makes you special...that's awesome. It's a great message to give to kids growing up with these new movies (and no doubt introduced to the original trilogy through their parents/family/guardian/etc). I think this is a great direction to take the franchise going forward.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
A bit unrelated to the new star wars but I've been considering picking up the blu Ray copies of the original trilogy, is there any without that stupid Vader "nooOoo" in ROTJ? That was silly as hell.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rey is clearly "special", she creates such a ripple in the Force that Snoke can sense an "awakening" in the Force from her.

"Special" and "being a nobody" are not necessarily polar opposites. Anakin would also be a "nobody" at one point.

Being a nobody is already implied for many Jedi. Anakin is a nobody, I'm pretty sure many of the Jedi have unremarkable family bloodlines. The reason in the SKYWALKER saga that it's important is basically the story is about one family. It doesn't mean every character automatically has to be from some special bloodline, I'm pretty sure at least a few of Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, etc. come from unremarkable beginnings.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see there being some kind of macguffin in the death star remains that corrupts whoever touches it with the spirit of palpy

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, wasn't one of the ideas for the end of ROTJ to have Luke inexplicably put Vader's mask on his face after Vader's death and say "Now I am Vader" or something?

Slash12771

Jul 12, 2018
Excited to see how the new trilogy will end. Its been quite divisive to say the least but I hope it's a good time at the end of the day.