• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
starwarsspoilersbakni.png

To ensure that nobody accidentally reads spoilers for the upcoming films (which will likely be produced in perpetuity), please use this thread to discuss spoilers, whether they are gleaned from script leaks, early merch photos, etc.

In case you somehow missed it, Disney bought Lucasfilm a few years back and now Star Wars movies will be made forever. As of the posting of this thread there are four movies in pre-production, production, post-production, or otherwise announced: The Last Jedi, Solo, Episode IX and the unnamed Obi-Wan Kenobi anthology film.

THE LAST JEDI
Release date: December 15, 2017
Director: Rian Johnson

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY
Release date: May 25, 2018
Director: Ron Howard, formerly Phil Lord & Chris Miller

EPISODE IX
Release date: December 20, 2019
Director: J J Abrams, formerly Colin Trevorrow

UNTITLED OBI-WAN KENOBI ANTHOLOGY FILM
Release date: ?
Director: Stephen Daldry? Maybe?

NOTE: This thread is for films in production. Once a film has been released, please move discussion over to the appropriate threads.

And don't forget your porg.

porgsnkk3m.jpg

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Writer says he was talking about Rey. It can't be Leia because Bloodlines reveals everyone knows about her.

Of course maybe Driver doesn't know that, but...

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
True, I'd forgotten about her. I'd be very surprised if the powers that be let Rey's identity slip in GQ of all places though.
Typically that's not how these things go. Even for highly anticipated projects, when the interview happens, it's all on the record. Lucasfilm doesn't -- can't -- approve of what gets released. Publications wouldn't agree to that.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
In any case I guess Rey may have not been sarcastic with that "Classified, really? Me too, top secret." business in TFA

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does every trilogy's main female have to be royalty?

Pottery I suppose.

edit: Make Rey the new canon version of Ederlathh Pallopides, and thus true heir to the Empire.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really sounds like he's talking about Leia, except that the secret came out 6 years before the events of the movie and probably helped turn Kylo dark in the first place.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, Rey WAS introduced wearing a mask.

And she heard Palpatine's voice in her vision.

HmmmMMMMmmmm...

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So that new TV spot, if you want to know what that final shot with Luke and Rey is about, click on the spoiler. If not avoid it.

Luke and Rey are having an argument, and he's holding the saber. She force pushes him to the ground, and pulls the saber into her hand.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
So that new TV spot, if you want to know what that final shot with Luke and Rey is about, click on the spoiler. If not avoid it.

Luke and Rey are having an argument, and he's holding the saber. She force pushes him to the ground, and pulls the saber into her hand.
Yeah, I don't think that's it. Where'd you hear that?

I think it's Rey readying to fight Kylo.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
phazedplasma What makes you think the shot of Rey with the blue in the rain is reversed? I mean, maybe, but what's the thing you are getting at? I dunno, I can't imagine a reason for misdirection here.

What we are shown: Rey turns on saber and slowly raises it to vertical in prep for some action.
Reverse: Rey has saber up ready for action, lowers it and turns it off.

What's the big misdirect you are getting at?

Spending a minute looking at your version in reverse confirms my feeling that what they showed is the correct one. I disagree with your thought that it's in reverse.

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it reversed. When it is reversed like above, her mouth gesture doesn't seem right. It would be angry show teeth face, then raise saber.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch closely at the end in the teaser where her hand comes up to meet the saber. That reeks of a reverse.

What we are shown: Rey turns on saber and slowly raises it to vertical in prep for some action.
In what little (zero) context we have about that scene it could be either.

Here is a way better quality image of the reversed shot
https://giant.gfycat.com/InconsequentialAdmiredBadger-reverse.mp4

Its now pretty obvious imo.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Watch closely at the end in the teaser where her hand comes up to meet the saber. That reeks of a reverse.

In what little (zero) context we have about that scene it could be either.

Here is a way better quality image of the reversed shot
https://giant.gfycat.com/InconsequentialAdmiredBadger-reverse.mp4

Its now pretty obvious imo.
Yeah I think that's pretty definitive. In the TV spot, Rey's left hand just snaps to the saber.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ha! definitive? ok. I think you've really gone down the rabbit hole on this misdirection stuff. This is next level analysis. Sure, it could be like you say. I still don't think so. It kind of amazes me that two people see it and it stands out to them. The thirst is real!

What is it tho that you think you've solved with this observation? Is it not cool enough the way it is presented? What do you think they are misdirecting?

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
ha! definitive? ok. I think you've really gone down the rabbit hole on this misdirection stuff. This is next level analysis. Sure, it could be like you say. I still don't think so. It kind of amazes me that two people see it and it stands out to them. The thirst is real!

What is it tho that you think you've solved with this observation? Is it not cool enough the way it is presented? What do you think they are misdirecting?
I think it's funny that you note we're conducting "next level analysis" on the TV spot and yet here you are conducting "next level analysis" as to why we're doing it.

Misdirection doesn't have to be a reason for reversing a shot; it could be that they thought it fit better within the preview. There was a sequence in The Last Jedi teaser trailer that appeared to have been reversed (https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/InsistentFewGoitered). We don't know why.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I haven't solved anything??? I think its cool both ways. Rey is cool with a lightsaber... I feel like I'm somehow affecting your enjoyment of a scene in a tv spot for which no one has any context. Im sorry?

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
phazedplasma Ok we definitely agree that Rey is very cool with a lightsaber.

I just feel it's a little goofy that you and Lizzy are looking for 'reversed' shots. It's just not anything I'd have thought to do. I totally get looking for clues and misdirections in these trailers but the 'reversed' thing is next-level for me. Plus, I don't see it. I don't see it in that training shot either. Maybe you both have a lot of experience with video editing or something, but to my naked untrained eye, neither shot screams reversed. Also, there's not a pile of other examples to convince me it's a thing that is commonly done.

But ok, you two and whoever else agrees with you can keep looking for those shots. I just disagree with you on this instance.

Do you have any theories as to what the story implications would be with that scene, either way?

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna leave this here... (TLJ preview)

tumblr_inline_ozr5edR3Ay1ugexq0_500.png

tumblr_inline_ozr5ekraUw1ugexq0_500.png

More or less what was expected after all the interviews and EW articles, but still, doesn't leave me any less hyped.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
It's still unknown if they even showed it or not. Here's hoping the press and other fans who were in attendance corroborate and maybe even add to this.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Just gonna leave this here... (TLJ preview)

tumblr_inline_ozr5edR3Ay1ugexq0_500.png

tumblr_inline_ozr5ekraUw1ugexq0_500.png

More or less what was expected after all the interviews and EW articles, but still, doesn't leave me any less hyped.

That's FAKE.

This is the real description from someone on the TFN JC:
Hey guys, so I'm a journo (that's all you're getting, lol) and was at the Cinépolis event last night. Even got to meet Daisy!

Firstly, the screenshotted thing that's been floating around reddit isn't true, take my word for that. It's just made up. Here's what we were shown, and it was nothing like that post...

We were NOT shown the opening crawl. Let me make that clear first. The snippet began panning down from space, obviously right after the crawl. It does NOT begin right where TFA left off. It pans down onto a huge resistance ship which zooms past the camera with the D'Qar planet in the background. You can see a large First Order star destroyer next to the planet's ring in the distance. Then it goes to Poe (and BB8) rushing through a corridor of the ship with an alarm blaring, saying something to the effect of "All pilots to your ships. First Order forces have entered the system" (to that effect). Poe then shouts at BB8 "go!". Next thing is Leia, her daughter Billie's character updates her on the situation. They're surrounded, pretty much. Poe comes in at this point. She chides him a bit about wasting time not getting to his ship. He says that he can't leave Finn behind if the FO board the ship, she sighs but tells him to do what he can. Next scene is BB8 in the chamber where Finn is on life support. He tries pressing buttons to wake him up but the machine blares back that his recovery is not complete.

After this, the film moves to Kylo Ren in his Tie-fighter emerging from the Star Destroyer's bay with a ****-load of normal Ties. He commands them to attack the X-wings headed towards them and says he will take the capital ship himself (he brings two Ties with him). The shot in the trailer where the Ties and X-wings fly past eachother over D'Qar happens at this point. It then cuts back to Poe who arrives in the medical chamber room. BB8 gives him a look of "it's not working" and Poe tries to get Finn out himself. Lots of people rushing past in the corridor. Poe also fails to wake him up as Rose (Kelly Tran's character) peeps in the door. She tells him she is a technician and explains why the machine won't release Finn, he could die if released. Poe tells her to stay with his "friend" and she agrees, and BB8 follows him rushing out towards the hangar. (Rose and BB8 exchange a "oh ****" glance) It cuts back to Kylo at this point who shoots down two X-wings with ease (they're clearly not even his objective) and he takes out a turret on the capital ship. He then heads towards the large hangar where X-wings are emerging from. It goes straight back to Poe who enters the hangar as his black X-wing explodes from a missile launched by Kylo. An A-wing then shoots one of the Ties next to Kylo, which hits Kylo's Tie and sends him hurtling away from the opening. Poe picks up a gun from a dead X-wing pilot and aims at the third TIE, which is shooting pilots in the bay. He fires straight through the cockpit, sending the Tie into the hangar bay floor.

The music is brilliant. It reminds me of the Original Trilogy in that it sounds a bit more retro in quality rather than being overly sharp. It specifically reminds me of some of the Bespin music. That wasn't all we got, by the way. Poe's commlink tells him to get back to Leia. It then cuts to Kylo who steadies his ship and destroys another turret on the capital ship. Straight back to Leia, who senses her son. And vice versa. Leia tells Poe that they cannot afford to stay and that they are about to have enough room to jump past the First Order into hyperspace. He gets mad that she wants to abandon his X-wing buddies who are out there fighting. But she gets her way and the resistance's larger ships leave the system. General Hux watches as they disappear. He doesn't look happy. Kylo Ren rages and shoots down some of his Tie comrades who failed him.

We were then treated to Rey approaching Luke on Ahch-To and handing him the lightsaber. He takes it, looking shocked, and says "who are you?" The music builds and then - owch. They ended it there. Talk about blue balls. I've remembered everything I can, but if anyone has any questions perhaps it would jog my memory over any little things I missed. But that's what we were shown in full. Thanks for reading.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced. That one's missing the scenes with the bombers and Poe strafing the FO dreadnought (both visually confirmed to be over D'Qar in the ads).

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
There were two full trailers for RO that didn't show anything from the actual movie though.

Both teaser and story trailer had a significant amount of cut material, but to say literally nothing from them made it into the movie is a bit of an exaggeration.

In any case, I'm edging towards team "both of these are fake"