• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Weakest impact I've ever seen.
-One action that literally restored hope in a galaxy that has given up as fascism rises up again and ensured that the only people putting up a fight have a chance to rise again and destroy it as he and his friends did 3 decades before.

-Weak impact

Pick one.

The movie is just tonally wrong. If your characters got most of their friends killed directly through their bad decisions, the language of the movie should be very sad. We should have somber music and scenes of characters sitting around in stunned silence. Not adventurous upbeat music, people wooing and having a blast, hugging, laughing, and cheering. Am I the only one who thinks this? Isn't this just obvious shit?
Yes you're the only one thinking that a SW movie should have somber music as the characters finally have a chance for relief after the climax. They're lucky to be alive. We should be able to see them enjoying that relief.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
You could double those 90 mins of Han being a bad ass in TFA and it still doesn't come close to Luke's final 10 minutes. It's about impact, not screen time.
Context plays a story in the divisiveness. Yeah, if you take the context of people's emotions for the OT out of it, TLJ was an awesome movie. But the context is a lot of people who had a massive emotional attachment to Luke waited 34 years to see him be a bad ass again, and 4 minutes of him fighting Kylo wasn't enough to satiate them.

Oct 28, 2017
Weakest impact I've ever seen. Videoconferencing in for a fight to save a few people running through a cave. And then he died.

Walking out with his laser sword and taking on the whole first order isn't literally possible for Luke because he's not god but he found a way to make it seem like he was, and he made people believe in the power or myths and legends again. He's not Thor. He's not gonna land in Wakanda and take out Thanos and his entire army with his fancy new axe. Luke is just a farmer from Tatooine.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think he left him a shit sandwich. My biggest problem with TLJ is that Rian Johnson ate the entire sandwich and all the ingredients in the fridge. To a large extent IX can basically be whatever JJ wants it to be. There weren't many threads left hanging...

I don't like what he did with Snoke (made him an utterly pointless character) and Luke's interactions with Rey. I think both were completely wasted opportunities that could have been done better under a more competent director. We still don't know anything about Rey, Finn and Poe were wasted, Rose had no purpose outside of having a thing for Finn, etc. Honestly the only thing of significance that happened in TLJ is that Kylo Ren went uber-evil and took over the First Order.

TFA was a great tee off for 8 and 9, but 8 feels like we were spinning our tires, so now its up to 9 to fix the mess that 8 left us in AND stick the landing to close out the new trilogy.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie is just tonally wrong. If your characters got most of their friends killed directly through their bad decisions, the language of the movie should be very sad. We should have somber music and scenes of characters sitting around in stunned silence. Not adventurous upbeat music, people wooing and having a blast, hugging, laughing, and cheering. Am I the only one who thinks this? Isn't this just obvious shit?

Let's compare to another competent movie, but this time a contemporary one. In Infinity War, when half the world dies, the remaining characters aren't wooing and cheering and hugging because they're relieved to be alive. They're sitting around in stunned silence and the movie ends on a somber note. If Tony Stark and Captain America were hugging, smiling, and cheering at the end of Infinity War everyone would be shocked at how tonally wrong the film is. That's how I feel about TLJ, yet it has a bunch of defenders. I can't.
Is this your first Star Wars movie or something?

Leia tried to trick the Empire into blowing up an abandoned planet but it backfired and because she lied to them and pissed Tarkin off they blew up her innocent pacifist home world instead.

And the rest of the movie Leia is pretty upbeat and sarcastic throwing out quips.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was quite literally the most Luke Skywalker thing he's ever done.

Star-Wars-8-The-Last-Jedi.jpg

The first time I watched TLJ I didn't even notice all the corpses in this shot. Ben and the Jedi that sided with him committed a real fucking massacre.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This thread took a very unexpected turn.
People always jump at the chance to basically say "I don't understand very basic storytelling." whenever it comes to SW.

Is this your first Star Wars movie or something?

Leia tried to trick the Empire into blowing up an abandoned planet but it backfired and because she lied to them and pissed Tarkin off they blew up her innocent pacifist home world instead.

And the rest of the movie Leia is pretty upbeat and sarcastic throwing out quips.
If only she had sat quietly in stunned silence the rest of the movie. Would've been a more consistent tone and made her character better. /s

The first time I watched TLJ I didn't even notice all the corpses in this shot. Ben and the Jedi that sided with him committed a real fucking massacre.
"But why was Luke so devastated tho?"

Oct 28, 2017

Let's compare to another competent movie, but this time a contemporary one. In Infinity War, when half the world dies, the remaining characters aren't wooing and cheering and hugging because they're relieved to be alive. They're sitting around in stunned silence and the movie ends on a somber note. If Tony Stark and Captain America were hugging, smiling, and cheering at the end of Infinity War everyone would be shocked at how tonally wrong the film is. That's how I feel about TLJ, yet it has a bunch of defenders. I can't.

Did you miss the part where Leia was basically resigned to her death after learning they were alone and no one was responding to them? "The galaxy has lost all its hope ... spark is ... out." That was until Luke showed up to save them.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
ITT: "I can't believe those assholes were relieved to be alive and slightly happy seeing the friends that they had resigned themselves to never seeing again. You should be sobbing to sad music, dammit."

Also ITT: "Why would Luke give up after seeing the corpses of dozens of students he was responsible for protecting who were murdered after he made a huge mistake? Just like, get over it man."

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: "I can't believe those assholes were relieved to be alive and slightly happy seeing the friends that they had resigned themselves to never seeing again. You should be sobbing to sad music, dammit."

Also ITT: "Why would Luke give up after seeing the corpses of dozens of students he was responsible for protecting who were murdered after he made a huge mistake? Just like, get over it man."

There are plenty of different reasons to dislike the movie. I personally don't care that much that Luke was jaded and my complaints aren't really based on that. I did think it was funny when his robot hand vanished, though

I just don't like the movie. I think it's tonally wrong and too many character decisions make no sense and too many things that happen are inconsistent with the universe. I don't actually care that Luke is jaded, though I feel some tension around them messing with old characters in general. I'd rather they just have completely done their own thing rather than digging up, messing around with, and ultimately killing so many classic characters. This may sound strange to you but I was also pretty annoyed by Admiral Ackbar dying off screen. As someone who grew up not only watching the movies but reading the books and stuff, I honestly felt like Ackbar was a classic and important character and him being tossed out like incidental garbage was really annoying.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

They're lucky to be alive. Not a single person made a decision out of malicious intent.. it was always to save the resistance, even if they didn't go about it in the right way.

This isn't some massive war between populated countries or planets. It's a group of rag tag citizens trying not to be obliterated by space Nazis. They're gunna make mistakes and fail. They're gunna have arguments and shakeups/disagreements in leadership when shit goes south.

They've defied all odds and a magical space wizard emerged from the salt on Crait as Force Jesus to peacefully save and inspire the galaxy.

In regard to the bolded.. this is fucking Star Wars. It happens in every single episode (even the one where Order 66 happens, there is cheering and happiness in the film and it even ends on an optimistic note). The good guys live to see another day. Part of being human is exhibiting happiness when you defy odds and succeed, especially after multiple failures.

It's a part of the formula and always has been.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

How many people do you think died at the end of The Avengers? That movie ends with the whole team going out for fucking shawarma.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a part of the formula and always has been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96DEWl3Vg70

I think this is the pitch perfect way to end the middle act of a trilogy where some bad stuff happened but there's still hope. This is pitch perfect IMO.

By comparison, the middle act of the new trilogy ends in a bunch of even worse shit happening and then the millennium falcon racing off into adventure with fun upbeat music playing

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96DEWl3Vg70

I think this is the pitch perfect way to end the middle act of a trilogy where some bad stuff happened but there's still hope. This is pitch perfect IMO.

That's exactly what happens in TLJ man, lol watch it again.

You complained about hugging and linked a scene where the main characters hug and look onto the galaxy with hopeful music playing. Except in TLJ, it ends on a cheery note about the resistance being broken, yet Leia assures Rey that they have everything they need.

Are you even reading your posts

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of different reasons to dislike the movie. I personally don't care that much that Luke was jaded and my complaints aren't really based on that. I did think it was funny when his robot hand vanished, though

I just don't like the movie. I think it's tonally wrong and too many character decisions make no sense and too many things that happen are inconsistent with the universe. I don't actually care that Luke is jaded, though I feel some tension around them messing with old characters in general. I'd rather they just have completely done their own thing rather than digging up, messing around with, and ultimately killing so many classic characters. This may sound strange to you but I was also pretty annoyed by Admiral Ackbar dying off screen. As someone who grew up not only watching the movies but reading the books and stuff, I honestly felt like Ackbar was a classic and important character and him being tossed out like incidental garbage was really annoying.
Ackbar was barely more than a cameo in ROTJ. He is only well known due to memes lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just don't agree at all. The ending of Empire is very sad but also hopeful. It's melancholy. It's perfect. The ending of TLJ is in no way comparable
Rey holding the broken saber and asking "how do we build a rebellion from this?" isn't melancholy? The metaphor for everything they lost to get to this point? Boarding a ship with like 20 people left after an exhaustive battle? Rey looking at Finn with some sadness once she realizes he's met Rose? Rey staring at Kylo as the Falcon's door shuts, realizing she was wrong? Kylo staring at the die that fades away from his grasp?

You're acting like the ending was an Ewok dance off.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn them effects still looks great

Yeah, it's kind of incredible, and it's because they just physically created all the stuff and did a really good job lighting and shooting it. These were like seriously master craftsmen.

To the credit of the new films they also look very good.

I really really hope they don't do anything dumb with Lando in ep9. He's all we have left

Oct 28, 2017
We still don't know anything about Rey, Finn and Poe were wasted, Rose had no purpose outside of having a thing for Finn, etc. Honestly the only thing of significance that happened in TLJ is that Kylo Ren went uber-evil and took over the First Order..

What do you mean we don't know anything about them?

And how do you figure that Rose had no purpose? No purpose with regard to what exactly? The particular things that you are interested in seeing in a SW movie? I think it's kind of objectively false that Rose didn't have a purpose.

Rose shows Finn that the evils of the First Order are not limited what the FO does or the overwhelming power it wields. In TFA, and at the start of TLJ, Finn is terrified at the evil of the First Order an it's immense war machine, and he thinks there is a way for him to get out of dodge and find some corner of the galaxy where the First Order can't reach him and he can live out his days in peace. Rose and Canto Bight and DJ introduce Finn to the idea that the violence of the First Order is systemic, and even places where they don't seem to be a presence, like Canto Bight, where so many people are rich and happy, are still a product of the First Order's war machine.

DJ makes the argument that since "both sides rely on machines of war to fight"' the best thing you can do is look out for yourself and don't get involved, which is the impulse that's been driving Finn since he defected (and it's understandable) but it's ultimately selfish and nihilistic.

Rose argues that the system itself is completely corrupt and needs to be beaten by protecting what is good in and giving for a more just society. And she teaches him that lesson in his final moments when he's ready to martyr himself due to his newfound convictions. She plays a crucial role in his development and I'd argue she delivers the central idea idea of the movie... "saving what you love." It's odd that people are so averse to this theme since it's precisely the thing Luke Skywalker did in ROTJ that made him such a legend.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just don't agree at all. The ending of Empire is very sad but also hopeful. It's melancholy. It's perfect. The ending of TLJ is in no way comparable

the ending where our heroes are beaten but not defeated is not comparable with the ending where our heroes are beaten but not defeated!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the ending where our heroes are beaten but not defeated is not comparable with the ending where our heroes are beaten but not defeated!

Tonally and pacing wise they're completely different, yeah, and despite many individual logical problems with TLJ the overall majority of my issues with the new star wars movies are related to tone and pacing. I think Rogue One is the only one that actually gets it right (it has underwritten characters and some unnecessary sequences, sure, but the overall feeling is right)

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tonally and pacing wise they're completely different, yeah, and despite many individual logical problems with TLJ the overall majority of my issues with the new star wars movies are related to tone and pacing. I think Rogue One is the only one that actually gets it right (it has underwritten characters and some unnecessary sequences, sure, but the overall feeling is right)

big words you are throwing out but you ain't saying anything

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
He literally lays out why he's the way he is in one of the film's most memorable and poignant exchanges:

I can't fathom people who think Luke's character in TLJ was nonsensical when viewed in context. Just admit it's not what you wanted and move on.

God damn is this movie great. It blows my mind that people can say "Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars I wish Lucas was back" when this is what Lucas would have done but with great direction. Johnson did the impossible and actually managed to make the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy work together(I'm sure its been done well in the TV shows but JJ didn't really bridge the gap with TFA).

Oct 28, 2017

Rogue One is an outlier with respect to tone. The Force Awakens probably captures the tone of OT SW best. Rogue is gritty, dark and bleak. It is not an adventurous space opera.

Nov 11, 2017
Rogue One has terrible pacing though. The first act is chopped up to hell. The third act certainly makes up for it though.

I agree with the tone comment though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Luke has become a person without hope and without courage does not coincide with the development of his character established in "A New Hope".

Besides that Luke is convinced by Yoda after so many years. Why? Why at this time and not before ?. The timeline does not make any sense.

Luke became a hermit who preferred to let the galaxy fall into the hands of "The New Order" instead of going and fighting. WHY? There is no proper answer. It's just a bad script.
I love how there are four whole movies after A New Hope. All we know from Luke doesn't start and end with the first movie.

Also, all of your questions are very simple questions that are answered in the movie. Some of them are literally spelled out by Luke himself, like, it's not left ambiguous, he outright explains his reasoning to Rey to help her understand.

The Last Jedi + your post = this video

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how there are four whole movies after A New Hope. All we know from Luke doesn't start and end with the first movie.

Also, all of your questions are very simple questions that are answered in the movie. Some of them are literally spelled out by Luke himself, like, it's not left ambiguous, he outright explains his reasoning to Rey to help her understand.

the classic "bad script" when someone didnt pay attention

like, he is literally asking why Yoda show up on the movie and not before?

because he was cut off from the Force!!!!!!