• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
giphy.gif

Hopefully JJ doesn't include another Leia Poppins-like moment. It was probably the first time going to a cinema where I could hear the audience be shocking silent with concern one moment, and erupt in laughter the next. Don't think that was the desired effect they were going for.

The silence in the theater at the time this happened. Then she started flying.... the amount of people laughing YIKES. Such a cringe moment

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
My God. Been a huge fan since the originals and this is the only one I needed to see once.
You've only seen TLJ once? I think you owe it to yourself as a big SW fan to try it again. And hell even a third time. The film has grown on me a lot. The problematic things are still there but they recede on repeat viewings and if anything the high points seem higher too. I think that's because watching in the cinema, with all that anticipation, I was too busy gestating on the bad things to even notice the good. Seriously try again. I think Luke's role here is mesmerising, the whole climax on Crait gets better everytime I watch it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are crazy if you don't think they're coming back for Episodes 10-12 in another 5 years.

There's Rian's trilogy and the GoT guys series of films. And Iger has already commented about them slowing down the output of these films. It's going to be awhile before we see a continuation of these characters on the big screen

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i wonder if JJ circled back to Finn to give that character some much needed love after TLJ

giphy.gif

Hopefully JJ doesn't include another Leia Poppins-like moment. It was probably the first time going to a cinema where I could hear the audience be shocking silent with concern one moment, and erupt in laughter the next. Don't think that was the desired effect they were going for.
I love it when people make up bullshit about how an audience reacted to something they didn't personally like.

that shit was hilarious - my theatre had some solid laughs

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Leia scene looks a tad awkward simply because of the logistics; she's frozen and can't move but willing herself back towards the ship.

Regardless, it's a great scene because it gives us a glimpse of that Skywalker bloodline and potential.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
My theater was like a 4th full (they were basically playing the movie in every room) so it was a nice split.

Started with a "oh shit", then an "um..." then I went with it. My issue is more with the effects than what actually happened.
I'm sort of in between on the scene personally, but I just think it's really funny how diverse audience reactions can be.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like TLJ and I started laughing at that moment.

Did the whole theater laugh too?

Because that's what I'm calling bullshit on.

I've heard these laughter stories for years yet despite my constant trips to the theater I have yet to encounter it.

It's mostly bullshit; a way for people to validate their dislike of something through fiction.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I've heard these laughter stories for years yet despite my constant trips to the theater I have yet to encounter it.

It's mostly bullshit; a way for people to validate their dislike of something through fiction.

What country are you watching movies in?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Leia scene looks a tad awkward simply because of the logistics; she's frozen and can't move but willing herself back towards the ship.

Regardless, it's a great scene because it gives us a glimpse of that Skywalker bloodline and potential.

I agree.

Personally i love it for that reason, showing her using the force was something that was missing from the original movies so it was neat here.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Indeed. I am in the UK and was shocked people audibly laughed as usually the audience is silent LOL
But it was a terrible scene after what had been a set of great scenes tbh.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had a good sample of every reaction during my viewings. The first one, everyone was dead silent. Second time, mostly silent with some chuckles, third time huge cheers and claps, final time a few people cheering and a laugh or two.

It looks a little goofy to me, but I love what it represents, so I love it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I actually thought this was one of the best moments

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I saw the film 7 times in theaters and never heard anybody break out in laughter. That said I always have felt that scene is poorly shot and looks silly. It ripped me out of the film the first time I saw it.

However I love the score and everything right after this moment.

But no matter. I'm so fucking hyped for EP9 and I hope we get footage soon.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Guys why the hell would some of us lie about audience reactions. This is a polarizing film end of. Get over it, it's been a year. And this franchise aint a stranger to polarizing audience reactions either lolmao

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it first show opening night and there was a mix of gasps and laughter at Leia flying :(

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guys why the hell would some of us lie about audience reactions. This is a polarizing film end of. Get over it, it's been a year. And this franchise aint a stranger to polarizing audience reactions either lolmao

I mean, I don't know why the scene was brought up in the first place...

Yes I do.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The scene looks a little weird but with Carrie Fisher's death I find it weird how anyone found the scene funny, I thought it was really emotional

And no one in my three theatre showing laughed during that scene but I did hear laughs at the most bizarre times, like Luke telling Rey she want straight for the dark.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they don't underuse Boyega and Issac this time around instead of wasting time with Twilight stuff.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I laughed at the Leia scene only because I read something on Twitter before seeing the movie about her propelling herself through space by farts and I had no idea what they were talking about until it happened.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
why are the prequels dissed in star wars threads?

why are FFXIII and FFXV dissed in any random FF thread?

Don't be obtuse you know the answer. Polarizing film is polarizing. These threads will be this way for a while.

I never said it wasn't. I just think it's stupid that we just spent 50 posts talking about a scene and an audience reaction to a scene in a thread about a different movie finishing filming just so someone could get their potshot in at a movie they didn't like. But that's just me.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Leia Poppins was followed in my theater by silence and someone yelling "wow this is stupid"
I was stunned

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
People who laugh at scenes that aren't supposed to be funny or yell out smartass remarks in theaters are assholes.

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas

Your dismissal of "mostly bullshit" just goes to show that you weren't there at the Parks AMC Dolby in Arlington, TX when some annoying guy spit some hilarious awesome and people laughed -- I am sure you aren't the kind of person who doesn't claps and cheers in movies either and dismisses that as fiction as well. Also I can assume that your theaters are not well stocked with liquor and beer like the AMCs down here in Texas, because when there is a late night showing of Star Wars -- people are happily faded and having a good time.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ya seriously. Its likes famous line around here now. Theatre was silent

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your dismissal of "mostly bullshit" just goes to show that you weren't there at the Parks AMC Dolby in Arlington, TX when some annoying guy spit some hilarious awesome and people laughed -- I am sure you aren't the kind of person who doesn't claps and cheers in movies either and dismisses that as fiction as well. Also I can assume that your theaters are not well stocked with liquor and beer like the AMCs down here in Texas, because when there is a late night showing of Star Wars -- people are happily faded and having a good time.

Oh I'm sure it happens from time-to-time but I seriously doubt it occurs with the frequency that I've encountered over the years, especially when people use it as evidence that a film they didn't like (or a component therein) was broadly panned.

Hence I used the word 'mostly'. I'm sure it happens and I'm sure it happened with TLJ but I'm also certain it wasn't as commonplace as some would like to believe.

I've personally encountered these 'laughter stories' for two decades and I'd wager 90 - 95% of them are either outright fabrications or embellishments. (I laughed and my friends laughed and so that means everyone else did too)

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never said it wasn't. I just think it's stupid that we just spent 50 posts talking about a scene and an audience reaction to a scene in a thread about a different movie finishing filming just so someone could get their potshot in at a movie they didn't like. But that's just me.

Every SW thread inevitably gets dogged with TLJ hate.

It's what the fandom has been reduced to unfortunately.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Fairly lengthy principal photography period at over 6 months. Can't wait for a trailer in April.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw a film I didn't like, the entire theatre stood up and applauded my unique and interesting opinion and begged me to share it in threads for years to come, no matter the subject.